Which opening would you have prefered for Kai?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:11 pm

Vekurotto wrote: But it's the central theme that people remember the most. Think about it One Piece has a gillion OPs but the one people like the most, certainly I do, was the very first one because it imbodies One Piece. If you hear any other of the themes you wouldn't think "One Piece" like you would if you heard "We Are!" for example, much like with Dragon Ball where it only takes somebody to play a little bit of Cha-La and you instantly think of DBZ.
VegettoEX wrote:Says who based on what?
My fault. I forgot to add that was only my opinion. I just feel like if Dragon Ball had 5 more openings besides the first one people wouldn't care for it as much. I never really cared for "We Are" or "Rocks". I think they have better openings than those.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:08 pm

If we kept Cha La, then how many new things would we get?

Now frankly, I wish we didn't get the "dark clouds are deep" moment near the start, but otherwise it's great. Cha La will always be Dragon Ball to me, almost as much as Makafushigi Adventure. But for a new project, it's nice to see a new theme, just like the games.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:28 pm

I'm glad they gave us this new opening, seeing as nothing else really is "new". If they were to use Cha-La Head-Cha-La, I would have prefered they use one of the new remixes, or the full-length version with a new (extended) animation.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:35 pm

I'm so Head-Cha-La'd out. I'm happy with a change. I just hope they don't crank out 500 openings every time somebody takes 10 steps like a certain other shonen I could name.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:53 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:I'm so Head-Cha-La'd out. I'm happy with a change. I just hope they don't crank out 500 openings every time somebody takes 10 steps like a certain other shonen I could name.
I, on the other hand, hope they do. I love any new animation from Toei. If they want to do tons of new openings, well, that would make me happy.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:56 pm

I don't really care about the openings, but I just hope they never use the first DBZ ending, I found that one very annoying

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:01 am

Bussani wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:I'm so Head-Cha-La'd out. I'm happy with a change. I just hope they don't crank out 500 openings every time somebody takes 10 steps like a certain other shonen I could name.
I, on the other hand, hope they do. I love any new animation from Toei. If they want to do tons of new openings, well, that would make me happy.
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing. But too much of an awesome thing is...umm...really, really dumb and bad."

I love new Dragonball animation myself but I think making a new opening for no reason at all totally cheapens the experience. I'd rather just get a new opening every time a huge milestone in the anime is hit. Like the defeat of Freeza and Cell.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:57 am

I think it's refreshing to get new openings and endings regularly. With a long running anime, I say it's good to change openings at least once every every 50 episodes. Some anime take this a bit too far though (Bleach changed it's ending after 13 episodes :shock:).

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:32 am

jda95 wrote:I think it's refreshing to get new openings and endings regularly. With a long running anime, I say it's good to change openings at least once every every 50 episodes. Some anime take this a bit too far though (Bleach changed it's ending after 13 episodes :shock:).
13 episodes is a standard 'season' in Japan I think. It's more common for endings to change than openings, usually. 2 endings for every opening?

I think Gundam 00's opening changed every 13 episodes too.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:50 am

jda95 wrote:I think it's refreshing to get new openings and endings regularly. With a long running anime, I say it's good to change openings at least once every every 50 episodes. Some anime take this a bit too far though (Bleach changed it's ending after 13 episodes :shock:).
That's just what Bleach does, for whatever reason StudioPierrot thinks they should. Openings last approximately 20 episodes, endings last about 10. I'm not sure how long Naruto or One Piece wait to change.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:49 am

Actually, Openings on average last 26 episodes, a full season, while Endings tend to last 13, half a season.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:19 pm

ShinRogafuken wrote:Umm, you're at a minority though. Most people like the other One Piece openings more than We Are.
Are we sure cause like in all of the video games I've played We Are! or some sort of variation was the OP. I always skipped through the other OPs all the way until I started reading the manga which was like in the middle of Davy Back Fight cause they just weren't "One Piece" to me but some song to just put credits on...
ShinRogafuken wrote:Come on, Cha La wasn't that superb. It was great, but after 200 eps it got old.
I disagree with that. While I like We Gotta Power as much as Cha La it still was a great Song/OP all the way through it's 199 episode course. In other words, I wouldn't have wanted it any other way than it already was.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:15 pm

Vekurotto wrote:
ShinRogafuken wrote:Umm, you're at a minority though. Most people like the other One Piece openings more than We Are.
Are we sure cause like in all of the video games I've played We Are! or some sort of variation was the OP. I always skipped through the other OPs all the way until I started reading the manga which was like in the middle of Davy Back Fight cause they just weren't "One Piece" to me but some song to just put credits on...
ShinRogafuken wrote:Come on, Cha La wasn't that superb. It was great, but after 200 eps it got old.
I disagree with that. While I like We Gotta Power as much as Cha La it still was a great Song/OP all the way through it's 199 episode course. In other words, I wouldn't have wanted it any other way than it already was.
Well, it is all a matter of opinion. I just got tired of Cha La Head Cha La, especially the fact that they never really changed the footage/animation in it (yes, I know, there are 3 different versions with really minor changes but that's it).

One Piece, on the other hand, changes its openings usually about every 50 episodes, sometimes its more (Op# 2 was used for 67 eps) and sometimes its less.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:44 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:Actually, Openings on average last 26 episodes, a full season, while Endings tend to last 13, half a season.
It varies, but that's right too. I was thinking of this;
The Japanese have sometimes subdivided television series and dramas into kūru (クール ?), from the French term "cours" for "course", which is a 3-month period usually of 13 episodes. Each kūru generally has its own opening and ending image sequence and song, recordings of which are often sold.
Thanks to Mendinso for reminding me of the word.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:08 am

Chrono Trigger wrote:I never really cared for "We Are" or "Rocks". I think they have better openings than those.
:shock:

We Are! is definitely my favourite One Piece OP, and is the definitive One Piece theme song, just like Head Cha La is to Dragon Ball.

I prefer Head Cha La to Dragon Soul, but I think I need to give Dragon Soul a bit more time. Doesn't help that Kageyama isn't singing it though :(

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:41 am

I do really like Dragon Soul, but I would probably have preferred it if they got Kageyama in to do a Brand new song akin to this Video game work recently. I LOVE Kusuburu Heart, Ore wa Tokoton Tomaranai, and Kiseki no Honoyo, and would have LOVED to see more like that as the DBK Themes.
Maybe later eh?
Maybe they can change songs every Major Arc (Saiyan - Freeza - Cyborgs/Cell - Boo) or at least give us a new one at Boo like the old series did. Maybe Kageyama can sing new songs then!!

Jurik
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jurik » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:16 am

i love both, i will never forget that beautiful moment of my life when i hear Dokkan Dokkan live i feel something new hahaha :lol: but I'll never forget chala head chala because is a part of my life

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:07 am

It's really irrelevant to me because I don't listen to these songs outside of hearing them when I watch the episodes. Truthfully I never cared much for Cha La Head Cha La. It's a nice song but it's not so fantastic that it should have been kept for Dragon Ball Kai. In this day of modern anime it's really foolish to think that old song would be kept in favor of making newer ones.

I hope there are no more than five or six opening themes for Kai. They certainly can bring out a new one as it progresses through the series, but I'd rather they keep the songs longer and just change parts of the opening animation to reflect progress in the story.

And people really need to give these songs a chance to grow on them. Of course 9 out of 10 Dragon Ball fans are going to prefer Cha La Head Cha La because of its 20 years of existence and nearly 200 episodes worth of use on the original TV series vs Dragon Soul and our whopping one episode's worth of exposure to it.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:15 am

obiwan23s wrote:And people really need to give these songs a chance to grow on them. Of course 9 out of 10 Dragon Ball fans are going to prefer Cha La Head Cha La because of its 20 years of existence and nearly 200 episodes worth of use on the original TV series vs Dragon Soul and our whopping one episode's worth of exposure to it.
This person very much speaks the truth.
We all Love Cha-La because it's the Cha-La we've had all this time to fall in love with.
We need to give Dragon Soul some room to stretch it's legs before we judge it fully.

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:07 am

DemonRin wrote:
obiwan23s wrote:And people really need to give these songs a chance to grow on them. Of course 9 out of 10 Dragon Ball fans are going to prefer Cha La Head Cha La because of its 20 years of existence and nearly 200 episodes worth of use on the original TV series vs Dragon Soul and our whopping one episode's worth of exposure to it.
This person very much speaks the truth.
We all Love Cha-La because it's the Cha-La we've had all this time to fall in love with.
We need to give Dragon Soul some room to stretch it's legs before we judge it fully.
We could delete the Kai forum and forbid all conversation on the topic until the series has aged 20 years, or we can allow conversation based on first reactions.

I prefer the latter, personally. =)

I don't think people should have to add a disclaimer to their posts, like "Though because I have only seen it a few times, I suppose my opinion may change at some future point if the song happens to grow on me by that time."

Is anyone who uses the "your opinion may change over time" logic telling those who say "I love it!" to temper it down a bit? Is anyone saying "Woah, woah, slow down that optimism, boy. This COULD just be excitement at a new thing, after all, hurry up and lower that opinion to a more moderate level."