Possible Kai hate from Z fans?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Possible Kai hate from Z fans?

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:44 pm

Just an observation that can be moved if it fit better in another category, but do any of you guys think it's possible that DB Kai might get some hate from fans of Z because of changes, and not being like its predecessor? Notice that happens quite a bit with series that get remade or have new versions. For example, Battle of the Planets fans absolutely hate G-Force with a passion and voice their opinion all the time, despite G-Force being less censored and truer to the original Gatchaman than Battle of the Planets was. The new TMNT also got a bit of flack for not being like the old Turtles. Thoughts?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:47 pm

Any little change, no matter how much sense it may make to most people, will ALWAYS have "haters."
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

ssjcj
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjcj » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:07 pm

Whenever something is popular and something new comes out you will always have people who 'hate' it and those who like it. Although with Kai I'm sure a smaller proportion will take exception when compared with the season sets.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:08 pm

I not liking the if you hate any aspect of Kai then go to hell attitude a lot of people are getting even when it comes to simple criticism of the way Toei's treating the series such as the BGM or the completely unnecessary cropping.

You always get the "Well Toei already made the Dragonboxes so it's fine." No it's not.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:09 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Any little change, no matter how much sense it may make to most people, will ALWAYS have "haters."
Unfortunately true.

I really don't see why to hate it, sure, it's different from the anime, but it's also much closer to the manga which is the original, and the only one that "matters" (is that the word I'm looking for?)

Judging from only one episode, I like it

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:47 pm

The only problem I have with it is that Funimation was practically torn a new one over the years for doing the almost exact same things that Toei is doing now to the series. It comes across a bit hypocritical on the part of the Japanese only fans.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Re: Possible Kai hate from Z fans?

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:50 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:52 pm

I actually didn't have a problem with the cropping from either Funimation or Toei, but I did not like Funimations colors, or their voice acting

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:52 pm

It's even possible to hate Kai?? I don't know, everything I know likes it and even it's reworked old DBZ, friends tellin' that they are again in ''love'' with Dragon Ball after that years
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:03 pm

I have no problem with Kai. o_O;;;

Besides its not like Toei doesn't have the singles for Z available for purchase. And I've seen so many "unofficial" abridged series that I have no issue with an official one existing.

Also we get brand new animation for the opening, ending, and eyecatchers. :3 That Goku VS Vegeta battle in the opening looks beautiful.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:10 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:The only problem I have with it is that Funimation was practically torn a new one over the years for doing the almost exact same things that Toei is doing now to the series. It comes across a bit hypocritical on the part of the Japanese only fans.
You're crazy if you think that FUNimation put as much effort into their remastered sets as Toei put into Dragon Ball Kai.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:15 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:The only problem I have with it is that Funimation was practically torn a new one over the years for doing the almost exact same things that Toei is doing now to the series. It comes across a bit hypocritical on the part of the Japanese only fans.
You're crazy if you think that FUNimation put as much effort into their remastered sets as Toei put into Dragon Ball Kai.
nevermind.....
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:20 pm

I dont hate this series, but for those who liked my DVD cases vid, I'll be making a video review of my thoughts of the first episode.

SweetCosmicPope
Beyond Newbie

Post by SweetCosmicPope » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:20 pm

I think it goes without saying, and it's been mentioned before, that there will be plenty of haters.

Personally, I don't feel I'll enjoy it as much (although, there are things I'm VERY interested in seeing). I haven't seen it yet, but I hope to cure that when I arrive home from work.

I do wonder what people are thinking, though. Why not just let people enjoy whatever version they enjoy? I have my season sets, if I ever get a full-screen release (dragonbox, perhaps?) I'll buy that, and if they release Kai, I'll buy that too. Why not? They'll all have their enjoyable qualities about them.
"That's Peter Grave's Scat! I'd recognize it anywhere!" - The Film Crew

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:24 pm

That long ago, Japanese-only fans said things like, "If FUNi had finished their 4:3 DVDs first then this wouldn't be so bad." Toei finished theirs so it isn't a big deal that Kai is cropped.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:26 pm

I've already met DB Kai haters.

"THEY RUINED THE ARTWORK! WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SABER TIGER! F*CK THIS SH*T!"

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:28 pm

ShinRogafuken wrote:I've already met DB Kai haters.

"THEY RUINED THE ARTWORK! WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SABER TIGER! F*CK THIS SH*T!"
Well, I do kinda miss the tiger. I mean, that was a cute set of scenes.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:30 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:48 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:But is it anywhere near as ENGROSSING as the original? Does it in any way grab me and suck me in?
Twenty minutes of Gohan crying and wandering lost in the woods is considered 'engrossing' to you?

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:55 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Kunzait_83 wrote:But is it anywhere near as ENGROSSING as the original? Does it in any way grab me and suck me in?
Twenty minutes of Gohan crying and wandering lost in the woods is considered 'engrossing' to you?
Plus, technically the manga is the original, and that one didn't have Gohan crying :D