Possible Kai hate from Z fans?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:40 am

ShinRogafuken wrote:You know, most Kai haters tend to be the type who have only been exposed to the Bruce-Faulconer-rockstyle-FUNi-Dub-Chris-Sabat-It's-Over-9000 version of DBZ.
Oh whatever. :roll:

By the way, Over 9000 is famous because of Brian Dummond not Chris Sabat.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:33 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:Kai IMO alters the tone into that of a much newer Shonen series of a very specific mold, one that Toei has been reaping some mad bank on recently with titles like Bleach and Naruto and One Piece
Bleach and Naruto are animated by Studio Pierrot (Yu Yu Hakusho) not Toei Animation. One Piece is their only big shounen series/cash-in that they're animating as far as I know.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:11 am

I don't really like Z yet I don't like Kai yet I like Toriyama's manga. It's probably because I don't like Z and thus the re-edit just doesn't jive well with me.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:23 am

ShinRogafuken wrote:You know, most Kai haters tend to be the type who have only been exposed to the Bruce-Faulconer-rockstyle-FUNi-Dub-Chris-Sabat-It's-Over-9000 version of DBZ.
First of all:

GOD NO.

Second of all:

I have a lot of problems with Kai. I like the new themes, and I'm giving things like pacing and whatnot a few episodes but so far I'm pretty iffy. For example, it's like Raditz dropped in on Piccolo with the INTENTION of zipping away as soon as possible.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:51 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:23 pm

Yeah I don't mean to chime in late but there are some fans of the original anime that dislike Kai. I sort of dislike it because of the music and the pacing feels weird. Not to mention that there's so much rust on the seiyuu performances that I'd rather they just recycled older sound bites since they say the same things.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:07 pm

Vekurotto wrote:Yeah I don't mean to chime in late but there are some fans of the original anime that dislike Kai. I sort of dislike it because of the music and the pacing feels weird. Not to mention that there's so much rust on the seiyuu performances that I'd rather they just recycled older sound bites since they say the same things.
I think a lot of people feel the pacing is weird because they're used to the anime instead of the original manga. Becasue I wastched the episode while I was fliping through the manga and it's almost a verbatim adaptation

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:10 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:
Oh whatever. :roll:

By the way, Over 9000 is famous because of Brian Dummond not Chris Sabat.
The "It's Over 9000" and "Chris Sabat" ideas were separate.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:38 pm

Rod wrote:
Vekurotto wrote:Yeah I don't mean to chime in late but there are some fans of the original anime that dislike Kai. I sort of dislike it because of the music and the pacing feels weird. Not to mention that there's so much rust on the seiyuu performances that I'd rather they just recycled older sound bites since they say the same things.
I think a lot of people feel the pacing is weird because they're used to the anime instead of the original manga. Becasue I wastched the episode while I was fliping through the manga and it's almost a verbatim adaptation
That doesn't necessarily mean they're not familiar with the manga, either... Something that works in a comic doesn't always work on TV. Hence, like Vekurotto, I'm waiting to see some new episodes to see if the flow works and if the music helps that flow.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:58 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:
First of all:

GOD NO.
Umm, I'm being serious. I've actually asked a lot of people around in my community and online, and most of them tend to be this type.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:01 pm

ShinRogafuken wrote:
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:
First of all:

GOD NO.
Umm, I'm being serious. I've actually asked a lot of people around in my community and online, and most of them tend to be this type.
If you ask that kind of person if they like any Japanese version (not just Kai) they're likely to say no, for a start.

For another, most of the people I have heard give negative opinions about Kai are well informed fans who know what they're talking about, and have given valid reasons for not liking it.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:29 pm

Bussani wrote:
ShinRogafuken wrote:
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote: First of all:

GOD NO.
If you ask that kind of person if they like any Japanese version (not just Kai) they're likely to say no, for a start.

For another, most of the people I have heard give negative opinions about Kai are well informed fans who know what they're talking about, and have given valid reasons for not liking it.
Yeah, but you can't limit yourself to sites like Daizex. Informed DBZ fans are by far the minority, and these are the ones who are actually on the internet.

The people I'm talking to are offline people, and they think Kai sucks. And yes, it is true that they don't like the Japanese version of DBZ either, but if they hate DBKai, then they hate it.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:36 pm

ShinRogafuken wrote:The people I'm talking to are offline people, and they think Kai sucks. And yes, it is true that they don't like the Japanese version of DBZ either, but if they hate DBKai, then they hate it.
Well, I guess it's a fair point that dub fans might not like Kai, even though it has little to do with the actual quality of Kai and more to do with a general dislike of the original.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:38 pm

How do offline people know about Kai?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:41 pm

B wrote:How do offline people know about Kai?
Well, I mean they go online, but they aren't active participants in forums or websites like YouTube, etc.

They aren't part of the DBZ online fanbase community.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:07 pm

ShinRogafuken wrote: The people I'm talking to are offline people, and they think Kai sucks. And yes, it is true that they don't like the Japanese version of DBZ either, but if they hate DBKai, then they hate it.
What possible reasons could they have for thinking Kai sucks? It doesn't effect them in the least. All you say is "They say Kai sucks." What does that mean? What do they hate about it?

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:25 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:
ShinRogafuken wrote: The people I'm talking to are offline people, and they think Kai sucks. And yes, it is true that they don't like the Japanese version of DBZ either, but if they hate DBKai, then they hate it.
What possible reasons could they have for thinking Kai sucks? It doesn't effect them in the least. All you say is "They say Kai sucks." What does that mean? What do they hate about it?
How do I know? They're drunk idiots.

Whether they have any reason or not, they still hate DBKai.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:57 pm

Well, it has begun, it appears TOEI isn't even immune to internet fan boys that use the term "raping".

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:31 pm

omegacwa wrote:Well, it has begun, it appears TOEI isn't even immune to internet fan boys that use the term "raping".
And so it shouldn't be. If people have a problem with the product, they shouldn't let it off just because Toei made it.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:40 pm

Bussani wrote:And so it shouldn't be. If people have a problem with the product, they shouldn't let it off just because Toei made it.
People are free to like what they like and to dislike what they dislike. If they at least watch it, they have a reasonable excuse to dislike it. But really, you can't judge it by watching just one episode.