Is Kai Moving Along Too Fast?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Is Kai Moving Along Too Fast?

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:48 pm

After doing my own review of Kai and viewing other reviews such as ShinRogafuken's review, and various post in the Kai section on this forum.
I wonder how everyone feels about this, but I feel they, Toei, are moving too fast. In episode one we got through approximately two manga chapters, and in the original anime; we got through episode 1 and ten or eleven minutes of episode 2. In episode two of Kai, we get through three manga chapters and finished up to episode 3 of the original anime. If this trend continues, it will hurt the series. I know it will hurt my feelings towards it.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:51 pm

Yes, it is moving too fast. However, I don't really feel like stating why, since I already did here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_4fs_dmVDc

Mainly because it's cutting out canon material from Akira Toriyama.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:58 pm

ShinRogafuken wrote:Yes, it is moving too fast. However, I don't really feel like stating why, since I already did here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_4fs_dmVDc

Mainly because it's cutting out canon material from Akira Toriyama.
Yep, like I sourced in my video, Herms found out that about two pages of the manga was cut out.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:59 pm

I don't understand. I thought it was editing out the filler, which was why it's progressing so quickly.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:03 pm

Dayspring wrote:I don't understand. I thought it was editing out the filler, which was why it's progressing so quickly.
They are, but the are editing out canonical manga panals and pages.
I linked to what Herms said in another thread. Check out what he had to say.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:10 pm

Dayspring wrote:I don't understand. I thought it was editing out the filler, which was why it's progressing so quickly.
Nontheless, it's going too fast. You see, you can't adapt a manga series into an anime without adding anything. It DOESN'T WORK. They are two different things.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:23 pm

Well, I think the pacing is pretty good actually. It doesn't bother me that small bits are missing.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:33 pm

ShinRogafuken wrote:
Nontheless, it's going too fast. You see, you can't adapt a manga series into an anime without adding anything. It DOESN'T WORK. They are two different things.
That's only if the manga's still running. If the manga's over and has been over for ten years, it's fair game.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:36 pm

B-kun wrote:
ShinRogafuken wrote:
That's only if the manga's still running. If the manga's over and has been over for ten years, it's fair game.
True, but I'd say Dragonball is still a popular story in Japan. I think most Japanese folk, young and old, are pretty familiar with the story, thus I'm not sure how they feel about pages being passed over.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:40 pm

No I don't. All of the main points of the manga are still here, and as long as parts of the series, such as this arc and let's say, the Freeza Arc, are all speed up at the same ratio I'll continue to be fine with it.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:45 pm

Its not that I have a problem with it, it is that I think it is going too fast. Doesn't bother me though.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:50 pm

I'm ok with it, but I am very disappointed they've cut canonical material from the manga :?

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:11 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:No I don't. All of the main points of the manga are still here, and as long as parts of the series, such as this arc and let's say, the Freeza Arc, are all speed up at the same ratio I'll continue to be fine with it.
I few questions, so do you feel rushed at all?
And I just want to see what you think, but I found that we are moving at 2-3 manga chapters or one & half of the original anime with each Kai episode. Does that sound about right?

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:30 pm

I'm a fan of this arc's filler material, so I may be biased. However, I agree.

Now, the cutting of canon material definitely goes against the message, but that's not the only problem with Kai in regards to pacing. When Raditz and Piccolo had their exchange, it almost seemed as though Raditz had arrived with the intention of leaving as soon as possible....

You can't just rattle things off as quickly as possible and have a faithful adaptation, even if not a single panel is left out. Some tension-building is necessary, and I think that we have overly-zealous people on the cutting room floor.

The tension of the manga is lost if you zoom through the canonical material you do keep.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:36 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:I'm a fan of this arc's filler material, so I may be biased. However, I agree.

Now, the cutting of canon material definitely goes against the message, but that's not the only problem with Kai in regards to pacing. When Raditz and Piccolo had their exchange, it almost seemed as though Raditz had arrived with the intention of leaving as soon as possible....

You can't just rattle things off as quickly as possible and have a faithful adaptation, even if not a single panel is left out. Some tension-building is necessary, and I think that we have overly-zealous people on the cutting room floor.

The tension of the manga is lost if you zoom through the canonical material you do keep.
You are exactly right and I agree with you 100%.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:38 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:When Raditz and Piccolo had their exchange, it almost seemed as though Raditz had arrived with the intention of leaving as soon as possible....
Well that's sort of how it happened in the manga, Raditz just brushed him off as a weak person and left because all he wanted was to find Goku

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:42 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:I'm a fan of this arc's filler material, so I may be biased. However, I agree.

Yeah! After revisiting that scene, I agree. Yamamoto's epic BGM distracted me too much the first time around. :)

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:42 pm

Forgotten Hero wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:No I don't. All of the main points of the manga are still here, and as long as parts of the series, such as this arc and let's say, the Freeza Arc, are all speed up at the same ratio I'll continue to be fine with it.
And I just want to see what you think, but I found that we are moving at 2-3 manga chapters or one & half of the original anime with each Kai episode. Does that sound about right?
Not really. Honestly, if you just look at the show by its self I don't see how it seems rushed; not that much has happened so far. If you're watching the episode with the manga in hand and are seeing how fast the pages are flying by, I can see how someone could view it as rushed, but on it's own it's not that bad. It is paced very similarly to the manga (with the exception of a few seconds of canon material), but the way a visual series flows is naturally faster than a written work.

So compared to the manga it can seem rushed, but when you think of the story and focus simply on what is happening and how everything still has time to be adequately explained and elaborated upon, I personally don't feel it is rushed; but then again we've only gotten to episode two, there's is undeniably a good chance that my opinion could change later on in the series.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:52 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:Not really. Honestly, if you just look at the show by its self I don't see how it seems rushed; not that much has happened so far. If you're watching the episode with the manga in hand and are seeing how fast the pages are flying by, I can see how someone could view it as rushed, but on it's own it's not that bad. It is paced very similarly to the manga (with the exception of a few seconds of canon material), but the way a visual series flows is naturally faster than a written work.

So compared to the manga it can seem rushed, but when you think of the story and focus simply on what is happening and how everything still has time to be adequately explained and elaborated upon, I personally don't feel it is rushed; but then again we've only gotten to episode two, there's is undeniably a good chance that my opinion could change later on in the series.
If I follow with the manga, I don't feel rushed at all. I find I can fly by some of the cuts. Now for my review, I had watched episodes one through three, of the original, before viewing episode two of Kai. I found that doing it that way, I felt rushed.
Next time I will follow with the manga, but if they continue to cut pages, ...We'll see, but I'm sure I won't like it.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:35 pm

Forgotten Hero wrote:
But that's the point. In the manga my avatar is taken from, Toriyama explains that one chapter makes about 10 minutes of a show. It makes sense, therefore, for a 30-min show to go through at least 2 per episode.

But I strongly agree they'll be messing with the pacing if they cut ANY of the original manga out as well as the filler.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.