Overall Feelings on Kai Music?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

shelzu

Post by shelzu » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:06 am

thanks ssj rambo for the info. its just that on cd japan..they refer to those two singles by dragon soul as the artist. on the back of the singles where takayoshi tanimoto sings, dragon soul appears by it. just wondering. Maybe i'm thinking too much about it.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:17 am

Um... did you not read the post right after SSj_Rambo's?

Try using the shift key... they put it on the keyboard for a reason.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: Dragon Soul?

Post by Herms » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:02 am

Hujio wrote: Here's an interview with Tanimoto Takayoshi (left) and Iwasaki Takafumi (right) from Columbia's website. I could be wrong, and Herms will probably have to correct me, but I believe they refer to themselves as Dragon Soul.
You're right, they do.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:32 pm

The music tracks in the latest episode were really good, though I wonder how they would replace the music that played in the Galick/Kamehameha clash scene, its hard to replace it with something else. We'll see. :P

I kinda miss the music that played during Goku's x3 Kaioken charging, it fitted so well. :[

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:02 pm

I might give this score a go in soundtrack form, but I don't really jive to it in the series. That isn't to say it's all bad. There are some moments I think work out. But by and large, it just doesn't feel right to me.

I guess you could say that I appreciated the seeming mission (per se) of Kai, but I disagree with it's execution. I dislike many of the edits. I thought they were going to trim the series but cutting out superfluous content, but sometimes often it seems like they nip and tuck and important and canon (yea, I said it) material just to fit everything in to whatever goal they're shooting for in a given episode. It seems like an attempt to give it a much faster pace, but that isn't what the existing animation conveys. To me, what they are pushing as a fast pace comes off to me as "heavily edited Dragon Ball."

I don't want to go too far off topic with a general Kai rant review. And I don't hate Kai or feel that strongly about it, it just isn't my preferred format for the series. But, going back to this topic, I think the score is a large aspect for the failings that I perceive. What is intended to be fast-paced Dragon Ball with a fast-paced modern soundtrack is to me chopped up Dragon Ball with a zany out of place video game-esque soundtrack.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

shelzu

dragon soul

Post by shelzu » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:31 pm

Thanks for the clarification. Here is a link i found whilst I was still researching them. In that article, it mentions them as group again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Soul

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:38 am

To me, it's okay.. but some pieces sound like out of place. I mean, there is too much difference between orchestral and pop(?) ones. There is no unity in Kenji Yamamoto's score unlike Shunsuke Kikuchi's. It's just like the Ocean dub in Canada/UK.