Future DragonBall Kai Intro Question...

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed May 20, 2009 8:38 pm

DemonRin wrote:When people refer to watching the show as "Watching a Trainwreck", what am I supposed to think?
So just because one or two people on this forum state the above, means that the overwhelming majority hates Kai? That logic escapes me... :?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed May 20, 2009 10:21 pm

All I am trying to say is that Kai is not well liked by most, and I'm afraid it will get canceled like GT because of this.

Tweaker
Regular

Post by Tweaker » Wed May 20, 2009 10:38 pm

DemonRin wrote:All I am trying to say is that Kai is not well liked by most
I want a source that concretely proves this statement without a doubt, or I want you to stop making it. This is just getting ridiculous now, and you're the only one looking like you don't know what you're talking about here.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed May 20, 2009 10:47 pm

Tweaker wrote:
DemonRin wrote:All I am trying to say is that Kai is not well liked by most
I want a source that concretely proves this statement without a doubt, or I want you to stop making it. This is just getting ridiculous now, and you're the only one looking like you don't know what you're talking about here.
If I could make a poll here I would.
I'm just going off of what I see people say around here, and just from observation, people rarely have anything good to say about it.

Catterix2006
Beyond Newbie

Post by Catterix2006 » Thu May 21, 2009 12:13 pm

DemonRin wrote: It's a situation that really speaks for itself.
Nobody but a handful of people that includes myself ever has anything good to say about the series, and when people do say something that's not negative it's something along the lines of "Well, they didn't Screw up THAT MUCH this episode" or something like it.

I'm just sad that the Less Filler-ful version of Z I've been wanting for so bad is probably gonna get canceled Early like GT is all

I mean, I could say the same thing. Why is it bad that there are those of us who like it and wouldn't like to see it Canceled?
On this forum, yes. But it goes without saying that this forum is a very different breed, most people here are purists, and slightly extreme in a lot of their opinions.

On the "commoner" forums, where the more laid-back fans congregate, Kai's being very well recieved, largely due to them not being people who know the series inside out, or spend $100 on a Japanese DVD boxset.

Kai itself is doing fantastically in the ratings, constantly around the 7-9% mark, which is superb for a rerun on a Sunday morning. There's no way they'll even consider cancelling it until Kai falls below the 2% margin, and even then they'll probably keep going. To put it in perspective, Naruto Shippuuden; one of the most popular series at the moment, is on average around 4-5% in the ratings, and that's on a Thursday evening, prime time.

Kai, a rerun essentially, is standing shoulder to shoulder with One Piece; *the* most popular shounen out there at the moment.

You have nothing to worry about.
I love humans, always seeing patterns in things that aren't there.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu May 21, 2009 12:50 pm

DemonRin wrote:All I am trying to say is that Kai is not well liked by most, and I'm afraid it will get canceled like GT because of this.
Aside from what Catterix2006 said about how the ratings are fantastic, you also have to note that there are some of us who don't really talk much about our feelings about Kai. Personally, I think Kai is overwhelmingly awesome! Not perfect. There's a few censorship issues, but they're definitely not "the Saban days" as some claim. But that's a whole different issue for a whole different thread.

Point is, I like Kai and so do a lot of other people. Including Japanese people I know! And I don't even count in the TV ratings like they do! So, don't take internet vocalizing as the only opinions there is. A lot of us made that mistake in regards to the Texas dub of DBZ, thinking that everyone felt that the Canadian cast was better. Years later, all the kids who grew up on the Texas dub turn out to be the vast majority and the tables are completely turned!

So, remember what Catterix2006 said and relax. Kai is doing great and a lot of us like it.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu May 21, 2009 2:38 pm

I think Kai is the saving grace of Z. I just don't feel a need to post it every week when we get a new episode. Also, kinda tired of "Kai VS Z" arguing, as it goes around in circles.

"Kai sucks!"
"Z has been made available! Just ignore Kai!"
"This is not Z, this is Kai!"
And it goes off from their with opinions that don't sway either side.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu May 21, 2009 3:03 pm

I don't hate Kai... I don't really care much about it. If it comes out on Blu-Ray you'd better believe that I'm going to snatch it up faster than Berter on steroids. But I'm not currently keeping up with it or watching the episodes every week. I don't think the censorship is a big deal and I don't care about the replaced voice actors.

So there's an entry to your poll... I don't care much, but I'll take it.

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Thu May 21, 2009 11:21 pm

Yeah guys, you keep forgetting the core audeince now are kids in Japan. Who the hell really cares what any of you think until whenever FUNI decides to bring it over. And so far, it seems to be a huge hit in Japan, you know, the country it's actually being aired on live TV.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Fri May 22, 2009 6:40 am

Coola Yagami wrote:Yeah guys, you keep forgetting the core audeince now are kids in Japan. Who the hell really cares what any of you think until whenever FUNI decides to bring it over. And so far, it seems to be a huge hit in Japan, you know, the country it's actually being aired on live TV.
...Huh? The original's audience was kids in Japan too?

I think I get the gist of what you're saying, but does our opinion have to have power over the product for us to be allowed to have an opinion on the matter? I mean, by that very same logic, I could say a person isn't allowed to enjoy Kai as their opinion "doesn't matter anyway", and I would never say that.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri May 22, 2009 7:14 am

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:
Coola Yagami wrote:Yeah guys, you keep forgetting the core audeince now are kids in Japan. Who the hell really cares what any of you think until whenever FUNI decides to bring it over. And so far, it seems to be a huge hit in Japan, you know, the country it's actually being aired on live TV.
...Huh? The original's audience was kids in Japan too?

I think I get the gist of what you're saying, but does our opinion have to have power over the product for us to be allowed to have an opinion on the matter? I mean, by that very same logic, I could say a person isn't allowed to enjoy Kai as their opinion "doesn't matter anyway", and I would never say that.
It's not that the opinion doesn't matter, but most of us aren't actually contributing to Kai's ratings. The ratings are probably being generated mostly by Japanese children. That was the point behind what was being said.
(they/she)

Catterix2006
Beyond Newbie

Post by Catterix2006 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:43 am

But what's the relevance of that? Are you not allowed to have an opinion on something unless you're financially contributing to it?

Nothing anyone says on this forums has any relevance to anything, but they're allowed to express them. Yes, if they marched up to Toei and whined at them, then the fact that they're neither the target audience, or even contributing to the show would be relevant.

People are allowed not to like things. Even if they are for stupid reasons.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri May 22, 2009 6:09 pm

Catterix2006 wrote:But what's the relevance of that? Are you not allowed to have an opinion on something unless you're financially contributing to it?

Nothing anyone says on this forums has any relevance to anything, but they're allowed to express them. Yes, if they marched up to Toei and whined at them, then the fact that they're neither the target audience, or even contributing to the show would be relevant.

People are allowed not to like things. Even if they are for stupid reasons.
I didn't say anything about not being allowed to express our opinions. I only said that I choose not to, but that doesn't mean that I don't have one.

Another (separate) point being made was that Kai is in no trouble of being canceled because the ratings are great!

However, it seems that some people are misinterpreting the whole thing and putting them together as "You don't contribute to the ratings so you can't have an opinion." No such statement was made. Don't pick fights that aren't there.

B'sides, if I thought that non-ratings opinions were worthless, I would be saying, "My own opinion is worthless." Do you honestly think that, with as much as I've talked Dragonball on here, that I would think myself and everyone else here who isn't Japanese to be so useless?
(they/she)

Catterix2006
Beyond Newbie

Post by Catterix2006 » Sat May 23, 2009 9:44 am

Kendamu wrote: I didn't say anything about not being allowed to express our opinions. I only said that I choose not to, but that doesn't mean that I don't have one.

Another (separate) point being made was that Kai is in no trouble of being canceled because the ratings are great!

However, it seems that some people are misinterpreting the whole thing and putting them together as "You don't contribute to the ratings so you can't have an opinion." No such statement was made. Don't pick fights that aren't there.

B'sides, if I thought that non-ratings opinions were worthless, I would be saying, "My own opinion is worthless." Do you honestly think that, with as much as I've talked Dragonball on here, that I would think myself and everyone else here who isn't Japanese to be so useless?
Hm? Oh, no I didn't mean any offence, sorry. It's just it seemed to me like you were saying; "Well you're not the target audience, no one gives a damn what you think, so stop complaining." which just muddled my brain slightly as it didn't seem a coherent point to make, given (as you know) a forum is for discussion, negative or positive, so why now say that they should stop complaining due to their opinions not being worth anything.

Sorry, I didn't mean any offence.

Jurik
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jurik » Sat May 23, 2009 6:47 pm

Maybe when the Namek Arc begins, they will change some scenes as they did on DBGT :D

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat May 23, 2009 7:29 pm

Catterix2006 wrote:
Kendamu wrote: I didn't say anything about not being allowed to express our opinions. I only said that I choose not to, but that doesn't mean that I don't have one.

Hm? Oh, no I didn't mean any offence, sorry. It's just it seemed to me like you were saying; "Well you're not the target audience, no one gives a damn what you think, so stop complaining." which just muddled my brain slightly as it didn't seem a coherent point to make, given (as you know) a forum is for discussion, negative or positive, so why now say that they should stop complaining due to their opinions not being worth anything.

Sorry, I didn't mean any offence.
No problem. Just clearing things up.
(they/she)

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Sun May 24, 2009 4:12 pm

Best place I thought to post this: any special reason why Goku has a golden aura (similar to his SSJ aura) in the opening?

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun May 24, 2009 6:37 pm

Senzu_Bean wrote:Best place I thought to post this: any special reason why Goku has a golden aura (similar to his SSJ aura) in the opening?
There's no real reason, it's probably just something the animtors wanted to try their hands at.

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Sun May 24, 2009 6:54 pm

Fanboy mentality dictates that unless you unquestioningly embrace everything about the particular show/game/whatever, you automatically hate it.

It's as simple as that. If you have a problem with something, you hate it-- no questions asked.

Welcome to Dragonball fandom. This isn't new to any of us.

SouthWall

Post by SouthWall » Tue May 26, 2009 8:07 am

I love Kai!

It's great, because this is probably the first time I'll be able to enjoy Dragon Ball Z from start to finish, in the correct order, on a weekly basis. It's like something to look forward to!

I've only read about 45% of a fantranslation of the manga, I've seen the Cell and Buu sagas out of order on TV (Funimation Dub), and I've used Super Gokuden 1 and 2 to fill in the gaps (well, until Namek's explosion, anyway). So being able to restart Dragon Ball Z, from the beginning, in HD, widescreen, stereo, with no filler and new BGM and voice acting, sounds absolutely great to me!

In relation to the question, I think they'll definitely change the opening animation, but I hope they keep the songs. Dragon Soul and Yeah! Break! Care! Break! are awesome.