Ryo Horikawa performers in DBKai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Ryo Horikawa performers in DBKai

Post by Vino » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:12 pm

Move to Kai section please.

I don't know, but his acting is really lacking in Kai, its like he lost his touch. In the latest DBKai episode, when Vegeta powered up and released, it didn't even sound like old school Vegeta. I know its been 20 years, but if Goku can keep his voice the same as 20 years ago, then Vegeta sure can.

What do you think?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:25 pm

Horikawa was a spry 31 when he first joined the cast. Now at 51 he's bound to have gotten an older sound. Or he and/or his ADR director wanted to go for something different. Who knows...

Nozawa, conversely was 52, but even then her voice has changed somewhat.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: Ryo Horikawa performers in DBKai

Post by Herms » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:29 pm

Vino wrote:I know its been 20 years, but if Goku can keep his voice the same as 20 years ago, then Vegeta sure can.
I don't quite understand your logic.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:30 pm

I like Horikawa's performance. It may not be what it used to be, but I think it is more a of a different take on the lines, rather than a decline in his ability to do it.
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:33 pm

Herms wrote:
Vino wrote:I know its been 20 years, but if Goku can keep his voice the same as 20 years ago, then Vegeta sure can.
What do you mean? I said that if Goku's seiyuu can keep her performers the same, then Vegeta's seiyuu should be able to as well.
Last edited by Vino on Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:36 pm

Vino wrote:
Herms wrote:
What do you mean? I said that if Goku's seiyuu can keep her performers the same, then Vegeta's seiyuu should be able to
It's likely Mr. Horikawa wanted to do something different, and if he was 'forced to' then there's nothing that can be done.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:52 pm

I've I've never really carefully listened o the Japanese dub, but I love Vegeta's voice, there's a calmness about it that makes me like it a lot and t doesn't sound bad at all

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:53 pm

I mostly enjoy the performance he's giving this time around. I think he still has that smart-ass edge to his voice that really makes his lines give off just the right attitude.

However, I do agree that he powering-up screams are a bit lacking compared to what they were before. But the rest of his performance is of a high enough quality enough that I'm willing to forgive him :)
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:11 pm

Vino wrote:
Herms wrote:
What do you mean? I said that if Goku's seiyuu can keep her performers the same, then Vegeta's seiyuu should be able to as well.
I think what he's implying is that you can't logically make that comparison. Saying that just because one person has kept the same voice for 20 years means someone should be able to as well is like saying because someone didn't get fat in 20 years logically means someone else should be able to stay just as skinny as the other person. But there are many factors that effect this, not just the passage of time. Do they smoke smoke or drink heavily, do they exercise, what's their general diet, etc... Since you can't account for everything, you can't logically make a statement like that.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:28 pm

Hujio wrote:In response
I see, my bad. :)

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:34 pm

I had the great pleasure to meet Ryo Horikawa at Anime Expo 2 years ago. I got my FUNi single copy of Majin Boo: Rivals signed (the one with Majin Vegeta on the Cover)

He seemed just as spry as a young man, he was very VERY nice, and one thing about him, he spoke almost perfect English. I mean, he was Japanese so obviously he had a heavy accent, but he spoke the language really well, like an 8/10. And it was really cute, he kept apologizing for it despite our assurances that he was really good at it.

Then someone asked (and I'm paraphrasing slightly) "Dragon Ball Z has been dubbed in English by a few different companies by now, so Vegeta has a few English voices. If you had any say in it, what would you have Vegeta Sound like in English"
And he replies, "Like Me."
And then he shouts out "KAKAROTO, I WILL DEFEAT YOU!!" In English (with accent of course) and we all broke out into thunderous Applause XD

Point I'm trying to make is, even if his performance has logically changed over 20 years, the man is still spry so I still like his performance regardless.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:37 am

I really liked how Vejita said die! to Nappa in last episode. But I still like him, his acting is different then before, but still very good, but who isn't sound too good to me and who is pretty aged from before is Furukawa's Piccolo....
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:42 pm

Latest episode really takes the cake, I conclude that Ryo can't yell anymore as he used to. That's what happens when you smoke. :?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:21 pm

Vino wrote:Latest episode really takes the cake, I conclude that Ryo can't yell anymore as he used to. That's what happens when you smoke. :?
Do we know he smokes?
She/Her
bisexual milf

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:22 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Vino wrote:Latest episode really takes the cake, I conclude that Ryo can't yell anymore as he used to. That's what happens when you smoke. :?
Do we know he smokes?
There were rumors that hes a heavy smoker, and they were probably true.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:26 pm

Aren't you being a little over-dramatic? Even if his yells are different from before, his voice sounds pretty solid to me.

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:05 pm

His voice sounds pretty spot on to me, even though his shouts seem to be a tad bit off.

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:28 pm

alakazam^ wrote:Aren't you being a little over-dramatic? Even if his yells are different from before, his voice sounds pretty solid to me.
I'm not being dramatic at all, what I say is true.

Here's a version of Kai with Z's audio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoiJDZMwkrE

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:33 pm

Vino wrote:I'm not being dramatic at all, what I say is true.
It's not, if you're basing your opinion on rumors. Besides, is that a voice of a heavy smoker? I honestly wouldn't know.

Also, I'm not saying he doesn't sound different when he yells but when he speaks normally, I can still hear Z's Vegeta.

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:42 pm

alakazam^ wrote:
Vino wrote:I'm not being dramatic at all, what I say is true.
It's not, if you're basing your opinion on rumors. Besides, is that a voice of a heavy smoker? I honestly wouldn't know.

Also, I'm not saying he doesn't sound different when he yells but when he speaks normally, I can still hear Z's Vegeta.
His normal speech is like Z Vegeta, but his yells and grunts are wick compare to his Z ones. I'm not sure if he was a heavy smoker or not, but his voice changed dramatically when he yells that's for sure.