Anybody else noticing Nozawa's voice..?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rory
I Live Here

Anybody else noticing Nozawa's voice..?

Post by Rory » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:02 am

I dunno, maybe this is just me, but I'm really starting to hear Nozawa is straining when she screams. It's really apparent on episode 14, she can still scream, sure, but I can really tell it's killing her voice this time around. When she's performing the Kaio-ken, and she's doing the Kamehameha, I can hear her voice hit a certain peak, then it kinda'.. breaks.
Don't get me wrong, I'm aware of how old she is, and it's insane she's been going for this long, I respect Nozawa like crazy, I just wanted to see if I was alone in thinking this.
So does anybody else notice this? Am I going crazy? Opinions?
Last edited by Rory on Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:03 pm

I just think all of the actors are delivering their lines a little differently then the last time and as sub fans we've listened to them say the same thing the same way over and over and over again so naturally all of these lines being redelivered in a new fashion is distracting and sounds off.

Basically I think you might be kind of right but it wouldn't be overly noticeable had you only watched like one episode of DBZ. I don't think Nozawa's future voice acting is in any danger or anything.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:33 pm

Well its not really surprising considering the logistics and all.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:33 pm

She's really good at hiding her age in her voice, but there are times where I can definitely tell that Ms. Nozawa's current Goku sounds different than her Goku from Z.

She sounds way better than Kai's Yajirobe and Bulma though. Ms. Tanaka's new Yajirobe hurts my ears, whereas her Z Yajirobe didn't bother me at all.

Bulma in Kai just sounds like she's out of practice. She doesn't sound old, just rusty.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Pain » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:47 pm

At the beginning of episode 14, all I heard was a bunch of diarrhea yells. It really sounded a little off.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:57 pm

Ahh, the beauty of aging...

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:17 pm

Pain wrote:At the beginning of episode 14, all I heard was a bunch of diarrhea yells. It really sounded a little off.
Holy shit! I had to see it for myself... and it doesn't sound like diarrhea at all...

It sounds like he's either vomiting or choking on something! :lol: I don't know what's worse, that or Schemmel's infamous Kamehameha dump... this is probably more annoying to the ears, while the latter is just bad acting that makes me :lol:.

Horikawa's Vegeta performance is... weird... He often puts a very, very awkward "tremolo" or something in his voice when he is in pain, and it sounds very unrealistic, "spitty" and nothing like his original performance... Not only that, but it also goes into his yelling, which sounds very... forced...

Is it wrong that I actually prefer Sabat's "Takin'-it-in-the-ass-like-someone-who-dropped-the-soap" grunts over...that? :lol:

I might enjoy Kai more when FUNimation dubs it... Honestly, the performances are disappointing (Nozawa aside, I think she has a valid excuse) and there isn't really an excuse for it. I would rather hear FUNimation's actors give a Burst Limit-esque performance as opposed to hearing such amazing actors giving a sub-par performance...
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:23 pm

Oh wow you guys are right...seriously that was awful.

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:32 pm

I'd rather listen to Season 3 Schemmel than that. Holy...

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:33 pm

Big Boss wrote:I'd rather listen to Season 3 Schemmel than that. Holy...
Now let's not say things we can't take back. :lol:

Pain

Post by Pain » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:34 pm

Woah, woah, woah....let's not get too ahead of ourselves.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:36 pm

Pain wrote:
Woah, woah, woah....let's not get too ahead of ourselves.
Well, I would rather listen to a performance that makes me :roll: rather than one that makes my ears bleed! :wink:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:40 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
Now let's not say things we can't take back. :lol:
Alright, alright...that was a bit a extreme, I concede. :lol:

Let's say...I'd rather watch that Bulma and the crab filler episode. :)

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:53 am

Uh... wow... :shock:

I believe that only the combined forces of myself and Chris Psaros can do justice to the beginning of episode 14:
[Tori-bot] + (DBZ Uncensored) wrote:[hrhraaaaghhakkkcchhhhhh](urgh hmph gghgh)
[urureeeecchhhchhheee](huugggh huggghhh)
[hgkekk-kkkkkk-eh-eghhhch](Come on PUSH it out Goku!)
[kkkkkkkkkk-dy'raaaaaghhhhhgh](WHO DOES NUMBER 2 WORK FOR??)
[kkkkk-hkkkkk-kkkkk... SAN-DAI KAAAIIIOOOO-KENNNN](aaaah, there it goes! *PLOP*)
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:38 am

I'm fine with Nozawa's current voice work overall, though I can definitely tell she can't go as high as she used to.

Horikawa's current performance is good too, his voice is a bit more gravelly thus time around in Kai when compared to Z. Especially, during the Goku/Vegeta fight, his yells and fighting sounds sounded like he was gurgling at times, but it's still good to me.

Tanaka sounds more like Luffy now, but that's totally awesome in my book.

The only voice work that bugs me in Kai is some of the replaced voices (Popo being the worst), and Bulma sounding more vacant and cold (more like a line-reading moreso than genuine emotion.)

I will say that from ep. 20, Dodoria, Cui, and Zarbon all sounds pretty decent so far. Time will tell.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:20 am

The Tori-bot wrote: [kkkkk-hkkkkk-kkkkk... SAN-DAI KAAAIIIOOOO-KENNNN](aaaah, there it goes! *PLOP*)
I believe it should be ''san bai''.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:00 am

Son Wukong wrote:
The Tori-bot wrote: [kkkkk-hkkkkk-kkkkk... SAN-DAI KAAAIIIOOOO-KENNNN](aaaah, there it goes! *PLOP*)
I believe it should be ''san bai''.
No, it should be Bandai! 8)

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:45 pm

Yeah, I've noticed Nozawa straining and faltering now and then. She's not getting any younger. Her Gohan took a few episodes to get going, too.

She's still the best Goku and Gohan.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:16 am

In all the performace, she's more screamy and hi-pitched then she was in Z..... There she was really good in her voice performance and was able to talk like a young man.
In Kai it sound like some overdozed freak who got his leg under train.
But still I like it. I can't imagine Dragon Ball without original voice cast and I'm really looking forward to hear Trunks
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:45 am

Horikawa sounds a little different to me, but I think he's still got it. Nozawa's Goku is pretty much the same to me, but her Gohan has actually improved in my book. Of course, Hiromi Tsuru's Bulma is pretty bland compared to the original performance but she's hardly ever around so I don't care too much.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co