Re-animated Scene Archive: 19-26 Added! (Image Heavy)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:11 pm

DragonBall Kai Episode 015 (Link)

絶体絶命の悟空!元気玉に願いを託せ
Zettai Zetsumei no Gokuu! Genkidama ni Negai wo Takuse
Goku in Absolute Peril! Entrust Your Wishes to the Genki-dama

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shortly after the episode begins, Goku uses the Taiyou-ken on Oozaru Vegeta to give himself some time to try and form a Genki-dama. Almost the entire scene has been re-animated and all of the bright flashing light effects have been removed, instead being replaced with bright dramatic lines. The close-up sequence of Goku's face as he unleashes the Taiyou-ken has also been drastically cut down, so much so that if you blink you'll miss it because it is only on the screen, and I kid you not, for one-tenth of a second. In DragonBall Z, this sequence is shown for an entire second but is almost blinding. Oddly, the scene actually ends on a bright flash, but quickly fades to white to prevent a repetitive flashing effect. Basically, all of the flashing effects have been removed and the scenes overall impact has been drastically reduced.

This single shot of Goku raising his hands to the sky as he asks everything alive on Earth to give him some of their energy has been re-animated, though I'm not exactly sure why. However, it does appear that the original background was used, which incidentally is the background used in the new pre-show introduction. So it may have been re-animated just because they could, since they had the original background lying around.

After Goku has collected enough ki to complete his Genki-dama, he concentrates all of the ki into his fist. This scene has been re-animated, and while it looks great, all of the scenes leading up to this were left as-is making this scene stand out due to the updated effects. The color change of the ki from white to blue doesn't help either.

The close-up shot of Goku's hand as he prepares to throw the Genki-dama at Vegeta has been re-animated. Again the color of the ki has been changed from white to blue.

As Goku gets hit by Vegeta's ki blast before he can throw the Genki-dama at him, it fades away as he can't hold on to the energy. This close-up shot of Goku's hand has been re-animated and the colors were altered once again.

After seeing that Goku is still alive after getting hit by his attack, Vegeta tells him that he's one tough, but can tell that he's near his limit. This scene has been re-animated, but again, I'm not sure why since the source material looks to be in good shape.

As Vegeta goes in to finish off the now crippled Goku, he fires a ki blast into Vegeta's eye. Goku firing the ki blast and it hitting Vegeta in the eye have been re-animated. You'll notice that the detail of Goku's hand has been lost, the overall contrast and shadowing is much more noticeable, and all flashing effects have been removed.

This re-animated scene is quite interesting, as it embodies what most people thought the series was going to be like. The frames have been redrawn and extended on the sides to make the scene widescreen rather than being cropped at all. In fact, the top of the scene has also been extended so that Oozaru Vegeta's head isn't cut off anymore. This is the first time we've seen something like this in DragonBall Kai, which is surprising since we've had a couple of scenes like this before. Albeit, this is probably the worst one.

Vegeta continues to play with Goku, who has now fainted, while Gohan tries to distract him from noticing Krillin behind him. Vegeta playing with Goku like a rag-doll has been re-animated.

The scene where Oozaru Vegeta slowly turns to look at Krillin, who just threw a Kienzan at him, has been re-animated.

After getting his tail cut off, the shot of Oozaru Vegeta turning and noting he didn't realize there was somebody else there has been re-animated. I'm still not sure why some of these shots of Oozaru Vegeta are being re-animated.

Gohan's entire flashback of Piccolo saving has been re-animated, which really should have been done to the original scene as well.

Vegeta yelling at Gohan not to underestimate him, while referring to himself in third person, has been re-animated.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:19 pm

I love Kai's look in these episodes. I just wish they had gone all out with it rather than just doing selected scenes.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:32 pm

DragonBall Kai Episode 016 (Link)

打倒不死身のベジータ!奇跡を起こせ孫悟飯
Datou Fujimi no Bejiita! Kiseki o Okose Son Gohan
The Invincible Vegeta Defeated! Son Gohan Summons a Miracle

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gohan, being the only Earthling left physically able to fight against Vegeta, fires a borage of ki blasts at Vegeta who is flying up above, easily dodging them all. Interestingly, in the original Gohan yells out "Kamehameha" as he fires one of the ki blasts. However, this has been corrected and he now yells "Masenko" in DragonBall Kai. Anyway, most of this scene has been re-animated.

As Gohan slowly backs away from Vegeta in fear after realizing he can't defeat the Saiya-jin, Vegeta returns the favor and unleashes a borage of ki blasts at Gohan. As before, mostly all of these has been re-animated. You'll notice that some detail has been lost, such as the dramatic motion lines around Vegeta's hands. Also, in the original the background blinks between red/yellow and blue/green while Vegeta prepares to fire, which has been lost in DragonBall Kai.

As Vegeta's ki blasts explode right next to Gohan, he is thrown into the air. This scene has been slightly altered and almost the entirety of it has been re-animated. In the original scene, Gohan is thrown to the left of the screen and then suddenly appears back in the center of the screen, which looks really weird. This has been corrected in DragonBall Kai so that Gohan simply flies straight into the middle of screen and never towards the left of it. I've provided two shots in chronological order (the top shot happens first, then the second shot) for comparison sake.

Vegeta's dramatic "exclamation point" reaction to Krillin throwing the Genki-dama at him has been re-animated.

The Genki-dama approaching Gohan and him deflecting it have both been re-animated. In addition, all of the flashing from the Genki-dama has been removed.

Vegeta getting hit by the deflected Genki-dama has been re-animated, and quite differently at that. A bunch of new effects have been added and all of the flashing has been removed.

Gohan breathing a sigh of relief after Vegeta is sent flying high into the sky by the Genki-dama has been re-animated.

Kaio-sama freaking out after it turns out that Vegeta is still alive has been re-animated.

Krillin ventures close to the fallen Vegeta, only to find that he's still alive. Vegeta getting up, to Krillin's disbelief, has been re-animated.

A shot of Goku lying on the ground as Vegeta slowly walks toward him has been re-animated.

Vegeta powers up to kill all of the trash that have caused him so much trouble on Earth. The re-animated version of this scene has omitted the brightly colored background and added a new landscape behind Vegeta. In addition, they added a ki gathering effect which looks quite nice. The ensuing explosion and everyone getting thrown back by it has also been re-animated.

Yajirobe celebrating after cutting Vegeta with his katana has been re-animated.

Gohan staring at the artificial moon has been re-animated with a slight modification; the color of Gohan's eyes change signifying the Oozaru transformation is about to begin.

Part of Gohan's Oozaru transformation has been re-animated, including him raising his hand in the air which I assume was to correct the hand color.

Oozaru Gohan lifting a giant bolder has been re-animated.

Vegeta sliding down Oozaru Gohan's side after kicking him in the head has been re-animated.

The shot of Krillin watching on as the un-transforming Oozaru Gohan crushes Vegeta has been re-animated.

Vegeta starting to crawl back to his space pod has been re-animated.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:25 am

In episode 15 I cannot understand why they made Oozaru eyes glowing red. It looks like a car headlight. :P

Episode 14 has one of the best re-animation in Kai. At least they look better for me. And the new Kaioken color is much more nice.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:53 am

Eww... Nappa's hand smells bad! :x
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:09 pm

Kai just looks like MS paint a lot of times.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:10 pm

TheMajinRedComet wrote:Kai just looks like MS paint a lot of times.
I'd say it's better than MS Paint... more like flash video.

Wasted Wisher
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Wasted Wisher » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:34 pm

"Crappy line detail"? Ouchies, man.

I thought I did an overall decent job on that scene of young Goku swinging through the trees...with the exception of the outline of his eyes being too thick.

As for why the lines are thick and thin, the instructions given to us by Toei of Japan was to try and follow the same line thicknesses of the original drawings. If we had just drawn them as regular, all the lines would be of the exact same thickness (around .03 mm, the standard line thickness we use on the Stylos software). Instead, we were told to try as much as possible to draw it with thick AND thin lines, since the original drawings (which were made by hand back then instead of drawn directly on tablet) naturally had varying line depths.
Last edited by Wasted Wisher on Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:43 pm

That's a really great thread, and congratulations on your patience for doing this!

It makes me love Kai even more, most of the new colors/effects are awesome and some screens just make you go "wow!" (in a good way, cause for others around here, some screens make them go "wow!" in a whole other way!! :)), and the many little corrections are cool.

Can't wait to see some more, keep it up please! 8)

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:08 pm

Yeah, my only issue with how the redrawn scenes look is the line weight. They do look recreated rather than natural, and hence a bit awkward. I love how clean it all looks though.

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:23 pm

The only redrawn thing I'm fond of so far is that they changed the color of Piccolo's blood. I always wondered why it was red earlier and then it was changed to purple, so I feel like it kind of clears things up.

Jurik
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jurik » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:32 pm

I miss this comparisons on kanzentai's episodes guide :(

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:27 am

DragonBall Kai Episode 017 (Link)

激戦の夜明け…希望の星はピッコロの故郷
Gekisen no Yoake... Kibou no Hoshi wa Pikkoro no Furusato
Dawn of the Fierce Battle... The Planet of Hope is Piccolo's Homeland

New Disclaimer: Please note that the DragonBall Kai colors shown in the comparisons are subject to the encoding of the RAW file from which they were taken and may not be representative of the actual color of the episode when broadcast. As such, please do not put too much weight into the colors, as they may have been tampered with, which is evident in the color comparison between the DVD source and two different RAW files, shown below.

As Vegeta tries to climb back into his space pod, Krillin confronts him, but Goku stops Krillin before he can deliver the final blow. One shot of Krillin holding Yajirobe's katana to Vegeta while Goku tries to convince him to not kill him has been re-animated.

Krillin talking to Goku about bringing everyone back to life, just before Chi Chi and company arrive, has been re-animated. The weird part about this scene in general is the lack of movement, which is no fault of Kai's, since it was in the original too. Even though Krillin is talking, we can't see his mouth, and Goku's just hangs open the whole time to let the flies in.

The brief scene where Vegeta mentions the dragonballs on Planet Namek has been recolored to denote it as a flashback.

Bulma scolding Krillin for even considering traveling to Namek has been re-animated, most likely because of Bulma's scary eyes. Just look at 'em! Though it is kind of weird, because in the frames preceding this change, she still has the "crazy eyes"...

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:51 am

Wasted Wisher wrote:"Crappy line detail"? Ouchies, man.

I thought I did an overall decent job on that scene of young Goku swinging through the trees...with the exception of the outline of his eyes being too thick.

As for why the lines are thick and thin, the instructions given to us by Toei of Japan was to try and follow the same line thicknesses of the original drawings. If we had just drawn them as regular, all the lines would be of the exact same thickness (around .03 mm, the standard line thickness we use on the Stylos software). Instead, we were told to try as much as possible to draw it with thick AND thin lines, since the original drawings (which were made by hand back then instead of drawn directly on tablet) naturally had varying line depths.
Well, I didn't mean it as a personal attack or anything, just so we're clear. That said, in my opinion, the line detail (thickness, etc...) is different in Kai than in DB. I mean, just look between the two. You can't honestly say that things don't jump out at you. Again, this is nothing personal, but I think it's quite clear they look different.

However, while I have you, is it possible for you to shed some light on why certain scenes are being re-animated? And I'm not even looking for specific examples, but is it typically due to film damage, inconsistencies, ki blasts, etc...? I know there are some times where there seems to be no reasoning behind them. Also, is it Toei of Japan that decides which scenes are to be re-animated?

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:05 am

One thing I think really jumps out is that a lot of Kai's scenes of people bleeding makes the blood look really "fake" and drawn-on.

Here's a good example - it really doesn't look good at all.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:39 pm

DragonBall Kai Episode 018 (Link)

ユンザビットに眠る宇宙船!ナメック星へいざ発進
Yunzabitto ni Nemuru Uchuusen! Namekkusei he Iza Hasshin
The Spaceship that Sleeps in Yunzabit! Blast Off For Planet Namek

Gohan thinking sternly before announcing that he'll go with them to Planet Namek has been re-animated, though I'm not sure why.

After Gohan tells Chi Chi to shut up, she freaks, thinking he has become a delinquent. Chi Chi freaking out has been re-animated, and again, I'm not sure why. Be sure to take note of the background, which was not straight-up copied for some reason.

As Bulma, Krillin, and Gohan prepare to depart for Planet Namek, Gohan says his goodbyes to Gyuumao, Chi Chi, Kame-sennin, and Umigame. This scene has been re-animated. However, as he says his goodbyes he turns and faces each person as he says their name. Notice that in Kai as he tells Umigame goodbye, he's talking to no one, or presumably some turtle off screen. Nice!

After boarding the space ship, Krillin asks Bulma where they should put their luggage. Part of the scene has been re-animated, and sadly... they screwed it up. Whoever was tracing this scene didn't pay enough attention and if you look closely you'll notice instead of Krillin's hat saying "Kamesen", it now says "Kamesan". I can understand where the confusion probably came from, since "san" is a simple honorific commonly used in Japanese, so they were just writing Kame-san, or Mr. Turtle in reference to Kame-sennin. However, Kame-sen is in reference to the "Kame-sen School", where Krillin was trained by Kame-sennin, just as Tenshinhan and Chaozu were originally trained in the "Tsuru-sen School" by Tsuru-sennin. Either way, this stuff shouldn't be happening.

Here's a quick comparison between the manga (1), DragonBall Z (2), and DragonBall Kai (3).

Freeza.exe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza.exe » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:58 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote:Image

Eww... Nappa's hand smells bad! :x
Okay...well I'll never unsee that now. :lol:
My friend broke my PSP just in time for Naruto Ultimate Ninja 5 to come out....WHOOOO!

Wasted Wisher
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Wasted Wisher » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:29 pm

Hujio wrote: However, while I have you, is it possible for you to shed some light on why certain scenes are being re-animated? And I'm not even looking for specific examples, but is it typically due to film damage, inconsistencies, ki blasts, etc...? I know there are some times where there seems to be no reasoning behind them. Also, is it Toei of Japan that decides which scenes are to be re-animated?
Don't worry 'bout it, I know you were just giving the scenes a critical eye.

Aye, it is Toei of Japan that chooses which scenes are re-animated. The reasons behind their choices are various, and for every scene that is re-done any combination of reasons could come up. It could be that the in the old scenes the characters were too obscured by the special effects, or said scene looks kind of blurry now, etc. The thing that bothers me a bit is that Toei could have taken this opportunity to make even more corrections to certain scenes, but overlooked them. At times it seems the pre-production planning for Kai is a bit rushed.

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:37 pm

Hujio wrote:Here's a quick comparison between the manga (1), DragonBall Z (2), and DragonBall Kai (3).
Notice in Kai, Krillin's jacket collar is green instead of yellow. Another goof on Kai's part, even in the same scene!
You must have faith in who you are.

Amigo Ten

Re: Re-animated Scene Archive: 017 & 018 Added! (Image Heavy

Post by Amigo Ten » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Is this going to continue at some point?