Kai film masters?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Kai film masters?

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:11 am

What exactly are the film masters used for Kai?!

From what I heared about the DragonBox restoration, they removed all the dust from the films and made them without the jitter

I stopped watching Kai from episode 23 ((out of boredom and not to spoil the joy of the upcoming DBox releases)), but I remember from watching the raws and Digisubs, there were scenes where I can see film dust clearly and there were others full of jitter and jumping up and down.

What's the deal? Toei went back again to the original 16mm films and not reused the remastered films of Pony Canyon?
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:17 am

Maybe they used some other copy because it would have to go through all kinds of random processing and stuff. Maybe Toei didn't wanna risk damaging their DBox masters in making Kai.

I dunno. Just throwing a few ideas out there.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Mystery Person X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystery Person X » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:13 am

The Dragon Box remastering was (presumably) done in SD, so they would have had to go back to the film source again to do an HD transfer. I guess this time they just didn't do as thorough a job of cleaning it up.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:49 am

I am sure they used the same master as DBOX. The dust which existed when the footage was filmed is not removed via Japanese remastering way because it is assumed as a part of the footage. So then why does Kai footage look worse and full of dust unlike DBOX? It is because of strong colour edit on Kai footage. You can see the same dust on DBOX footage if you edit the colours and make it look like Kai. The screen shaking is because of its high definition. DBOX footage also shakes much, but it bothers us less because it's in low definition. Maybe FUNi did something bad on the master films when they used them for Orange Bricks and it made them shake more.

By the way, did everyone notice the good video quality that began arond Ginyu asks his power level to Jeice in the latest episode of Kai? I can explain why it happened, but since I have no time to do it now, so I'll make a topic about this in General Discussion after.

*Edit: In addition, Pony Canyon does not own the master films. They just released the DVD's.