Speculation: No 4:3 Kai Blu-Ray in the US?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Speculation: No 4:3 Kai Blu-Ray in the US?

Post by Kendamu » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:17 am

We know that Toei is afraid of reverse importation. We also know that Blu-Ray Region A covers Japan and the USA. This makes reverse importing (as well as regular importing) really easy. With FUNi's Dragonbox being Regions 1 & 4 (when usually it's 1, 2, & 4) does that mean that Toei might not allow FUNi to release 4:3 Blu-Rays of Kai?

All speculation, of course.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:43 pm

TOEI are crazy dips**ts, so I assume that Kai will be in US over year 2020....
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:04 pm

I kinda hope Kai is in widescreen for the Blu-ray and if a DVD is released, I think it shold be 4:3. But hey, thats just me.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:59 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I kinda hope Kai is in widescreen for the Blu-ray and if a DVD is released, I think it shold be 4:3. But hey, thats just me.
???

I will have Z in full-screen by the time FUNimation gets their hands on Kai. So, I wouldn't be bothered at all with a selective-cropped 16:9 Kai Blu-Ray set. In fact, I'd prefer it.

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:02 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I kinda hope Kai is in widescreen for the Blu-ray and if a DVD is released, I think it shold be 4:3. But hey, thats just me.
And then we will finally be able to say, with 100% accuracy, that Kai has had the most confusing home release of anything.

Ever.
[quote="Kunzait_83, on FUNimation's dub of [i]Dragon Ball Z[/i]"]"ACTION!!! EXTREME!!! AMERICAN!!!! PUNCHES TO THE HEAD!!! FUCK YEAH!!!"[/quote]
On [url=http://twitter.com/joey_blanton]my Twitter[/url], postin' some mad tweets.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:32 pm

Well... FUNi and TOEi are basically dating thanks to One Piece. I think FUNi will be the one to make the call on which AR to release.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:46 am

I'd be really PO'ed if they released it cropped over here. Considering we haven't even gotten the Jump special in the states yet though I'm not expecting Kai for a very long time.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:55 am

I would say it's not entirely unlikely that in a year we'll be seeing a dub of it being aired on TV, actually. The relations between Toei and FUNImation have gotten pretty good in recent years.

But the only problem with that is what channel would be appropriate for such a thing...given the Cartoon Network is merely a shadow of it's old self. Could it possibly be aired on broadcast channels?

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:22 am

16:9 would be better to me, I don't give a shit since it's Kai...

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:32 am

Duo wrote:I would say it's not entirely unlikely that in a year we'll be seeing a dub of it being aired on TV, actually. The relations between Toei and FUNImation have gotten pretty good in recent years.

But the only problem with that is what channel would be appropriate for such a thing...given the Cartoon Network is merely a shadow of it's old self. Could it possibly be aired on broadcast channels?
As true as this is, I really think that CN will air it. They know the popularity of Z, so I don't see why they wouldn't get the broadcast rights. Plus CN always shows the commercials for the VGs and the season sets when they were being released. I never see those commercials anywhere else but DVDs, and the internet. So there has to be some link for CN, to air DBK.

If not CN maybe AS will, they did make a joke about Family Guy, Family Guy Z, Family Guy GT, and Family Guy Kai. (I highly doubt AS would air DBK)

Oh and so I stay on topic, I really hope Kai is released in 16:9. I only say this because I would prefer something animated in HD to be 16:9. I don't see the point in having a HD cartoon 4:3.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:54 am

Bring back Toonami!!

They can air Gundam Wing, Beast Wars, Reboot, and Dragonball Kai.

Win.

Also, I plan on getting all the Dragon Box's anyway, so cropping Kai doesn't bother me. If they're broadcasting it like that, it could be argued that's how it's "meant to be seen" (whatever that means anyway.)

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:18 am

Maybe they could do two simultaneous Blu-Ray releases. I don't know how expensive that would be, but back in the middle of the DVDs lifespan, it was pretty common to have two versions of a release; full screen and widescreen.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:30 pm

16:9 rhymes with fine. That's one of the things Toei were going for with it, so yeah.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:37 pm

I would prefer a 4:3 Blu Ray release hands down, I had as much of a problem with the cropping in Kai as I did with the season sets.

Cutting the top and bottom off a picture so it fills a widescreen TV is something I still find completely and utterly obnoxious.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:47 am

As long as it has a faithful dub with at least a partially revamped cast, I'm fine with watching it in 4:3 or 16:9 on television.

I'd prefer it in full screen, but I'm already getting DBZ in 4:3 with the DBoxes. I very much doubt I'll be buying any Kai DVDs or BDs, unless that dub is one hell of one.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:20 pm

ultimateemail5000 wrote:As true as this is, I really think that CN will air it. They know the popularity of Z, so I don't see why they wouldn't get the broadcast rights.
Naruto was popular with CN, yet they still went "LOL BYE!" when it came to continuing to air it. That's why Disney XD now airs Shippuden.

Currently, CN has absolutely no idea what the hell they're doing.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Khalid Shahin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Khalid Shahin » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:25 pm

Tsukento wrote:
ultimateemail5000 wrote:As true as this is, I really think that CN will air it. They know the popularity of Z, so I don't see why they wouldn't get the broadcast rights.
Naruto was popular with CN, yet they still went "LOL BYE!" when it came to continuing to air it. That's why Disney XD now airs Shippuden.

Pretty much. I don't know what Cartoon Network is thinking. They don't have a consistent schedule at all. The only show that gets new episodes on CN is Flapjack, and I'm looking forward to Adventure Time. And even then they only show half an episode every other week. Meaning you only get a full 30 minute episode about once a month, and their scheduling for it absolutely sucks. I honestly don't know what they are doing.

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:14 pm

Tsukento wrote:

If Disney gets to broadcast Dragon Ball Kai, I'll kill myself. It might be good for FUNimation since they could probably make Christopher Sabot a singer. I mean they give out record deals like they're going out of style...
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:05 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:Maybe they could do two simultaneous Blu-Ray releases. I don't know how expensive that would be, but back in the middle of the DVDs lifespan, it was pretty common to have two versions of a release; full screen and widescreen.
I don't know. Why not just have the Blu-Ray provide the option to watch it either full screen or widescreen? I think it's more likely FUNimation will wait until there are enough episodes available to release them in sets rather than singles so they could utilize the space on the Blu-Ray discs to provide both.

Or, they could do what Disney seems to be doing with some of their movies, provide both a DVD and Blu-Ray in the same package, regardless of which "version" you buy. It makes it rather pointless to have multiple packages for different formats when all of them contain the same material.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:01 am

Well, I'm sure that Australia will air it, since they seem to be airing reruns of Dragon Ball Z...

So I'm sure Toasted TV or whatever will pick it up for free to air. :P
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D