Kai finishing at 100 episodes - is it even possible?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Kai finishing at 100 episodes - is it even possible?

Post by MetalMadness » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Looking at the current rate Kai is going out, I honestly can't see it finishing at around 100 episodes.

Is it possible that they will reveal that even more episodes are in production, or is the 100 episode count final?

if it is final, they're really going to rush through this and its going to be a total mess

Think about it, we have a ratio of basically 2 Z episodes to 1 Kai episode. Since we know that Goku will transform on episode 47, thats only half of where he transformed in Z (95).

Theres going to be 196 Z episodes to cover after that. Subtract Garlic Jr Saga, Otherworld, some Saiyaman stuff, itll probably only decrease to about 160 or so, maybe even more.

In other words, 160 Z episodes need to be cut down to about 53 or so Kai episodes. Thats about 3 Z episodes into every Kai episode.

Honestly, I think itll be completely rushed if they stick to this 100 episode count, and yet they continue to keep in filler like the Ginyu Bulma to waste more time?

Do you guys think its possible to condense it into 100 episodes? I think maybe 130 would be more reasonable.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Kai finishing at 100 episodes - is it even possible?

Post by B » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:00 pm

Less than 120 episodes can finish Z(which makes the original 291 look ridiculous). I pulled that out of my ass because it's a reasonable assumption based on how they've gone about editing the show and handling filler so far, so please do not spread this around like a fact.

I would honestly be surprised if we go past 115. Also, nothing has ever pointed towards there being EXACTLY 100 episodes. In fact, only 99 are confirmed. So, at this stage, there are only 99 episodes of Kai.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:12 pm

Just over 100 still seems about right. It's been progressing at roughly (very roughly, I should add--ball park estimate) at 4-5 episodes per Tankobon volume. That leaves it in the range of about 104-130, which is quite a large range, granted, but it seems to be leaning more towards the lower estimate. Right now, 110-115 seems likely to me.

Edit: With some quick jiggery-pokery mathematemajigs, I predict that the Cell saga will end around episode 85.
Last edited by Bussani on Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:26 pm

It's really weird to think of the Cell and Boo arcs only lasting 30 episodes or so.

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:20 am

I made an entire episode guide based on my predictions and Kai finished around 102 episodes. I'd post it here but it is kind of a mess using both Japanese manga titles and English manga titles. I do think it's possible though.
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:21 am

Amigo Ten wrote:It's really weird to think of the Cell and Boo arcs only lasting 30 episodes or so.
Do you think that the Freeza arc won't end until episode 70?! That's craziness man! The Freeza arc should finish up around episode 55, I'd imagine.

Anyway, the 99 episodes are listed as "tentatively planned". So no, it's nothing concrete and as I've already predicted, I believe we'll see that number change as we approach it.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:23 am

Hujio wrote:
Amigo Ten wrote:It's really weird to think of the Cell and Boo arcs only lasting 30 episodes or so.
Do you think that the Freeza arc won't end until episode 70?! That's craziness man! The Freeza arc should finish up around episode 55, I'd imagine.
I think he meant each, Heathjio.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:52 am

Yeah, I don't suspect there is much left to the Freeza arc. If the fourth Blu-ray box is so much longer than the previous sets, I'd like to think that #54 will be the end of the Freeza arc, or even the end of the Trunks story.

My predictions:

Episode 46: 92-93 (the rest of #92 can finish up and all of #93--espicially with all of its filler--should collapse down quite easily, the episode would then end with Piccolo taking advantage of the off guard Freeza. Ignore the innuendo)
Episode 47: 94-95 (the Genki-dama fails but what a way to end an episode with Freeza returning and Gokû's rage exploding?!)
Episode 48: 96-97 (Gokû and Freeza fight for a full episode, but Freeza decides to blow up the planet!!)
Episode 49: 98-99 (Freeza breaks out his full power; Kami-sama and Kaiô-sama hatch their plan, with Mr. Popo summoning forth Shen Long!!)
Episode 50: 100-101 (The wishes are made and all but Son Gokû and Freeza remain on Namek by episodes end)
Episode 51: 102-103 (Freeza fails to impress Son, leaving the Saiyan to make his way home; episode ends with Freeza refusing to quit)
Episode 52: 104-105 (Gokû finishes Freeza)
Episode 53: 106-107 (Namek explodes; Polunga grants some wishes)
Episode 54: 118-119 (A mysterious boy appears to confront Freeza and his father, who have come to Earth for revenge)
Episode 55: 120-121 (The boy finishes Freeza and Cold off; Son returns to Earth)
Episode 56: 122-123 (The gang learn about the Artificial Humans; Son shows off his Intantaneous Movement)

Okay, so maybe not a set-up. :p
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:23 am

bkev wrote:
Hujio wrote:
I think he meant each, Heathjio.
Yeah, 30 episodes for the Cell arc and 30 episodes for the Buu arc.

Seems kinda short to me.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:36 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote: Yeah, 30 episodes for the Cell arc and 30 episodes for the Buu arc.

Seems kinda short to me.
Hardly. There was quite a bit of filler in both arcs, espicially the Artificial Human arc. #19 could be destroyed by Vegeta by the first half of the third episode of that arc, as opposed to Dragon Ball Z where it took five episodes for Vegeta to remove our pale friend from the fight, and this is all assuming two episodes are merged into one as is the usual with Dragon Ball Kai. By the fifth episode #17 and #18 could have the gang floored.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:38 am

JulieYBM wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote: Yeah, 30 episodes for the Cell arc and 30 episodes for the Buu arc.

Seems kinda short to me.
Hardly. There was quite a bit of filler in both arcs, espicially the Artificial Human arc. #19 could be destroyed by Vegeta by the first half of the third episode of that arc, as opposed to Dragon Ball Z where it took five episodes for Vegeta to remove our pale friend from the fight, and this is all assuming two episodes are merged into one as is the usual with Dragon Ball Kai. By the fifth episode #17 and #18 could have the gang floored.
That seems possible, guess we'll just have to wait and see. :)

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:50 pm

Well, Kai is running at twice the pace of Kai at the moment. The Freeza arc was just over 70 episodes, and Kai looks like it'll cover it in about 35 episodes. The Boo arc was 90 or so episodes. That'll be 2/3 of it cut out if it's shortened to 30 episodes. I haven't really seen much of the Boo arc anime though, so I'm not sure how much filler there is in total. I really hope they remove Dabra's stupid meditation chamber though.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:20 pm

Amigo Ten wrote:Well, Kai is running at twice the pace of Kai at the moment. The Freeza arc was just over 70 episodes, and Kai looks like it'll cover it in about 35 episodes. The Boo arc was 90 or so episodes. That'll be 2/3 of it cut out if it's shortened to 30 episodes. I haven't really seen much of the Boo arc anime though, so I'm not sure how much filler there is in total. I really hope they remove Dabra's stupid meditation chamber though.
You know, I've never understood why so many people think that the Buu arc by far had the most filler. If you look at the numbers, it just doesn't add up. I think some people just don't like the arc, so to them it feels so drawn out and they just assume there must be tons of filler, since they don't normally like filler. I don't know, it's just one of those weird things I guess.

Saiyan arc
Chapters 195-242 = 48 chapters
Episodes 001-035 = 35 episodes
Avg. # of Chapters per Episode = 1.37 chapters/episode

Freeza arc (excluding the Garlic Jr. arc - 10 episodes)
Chapters 243-328 = 86 chapters
Episodes 036-125 = 80 episodes
Avg. # of Chapters per Episode = 1.08 chapters/episode

Artificial Human arc
Chapters 329-420 = 92 chapters
Episodes 126-199 = 74 episodes
Avg. # of Chapters per Episode = 1.24 chapters/episode

Majin Buu arc
Chapters 421-519 = 99 chapters
Episodes 200-291 = 92 episodes
Avg. # of Chapters per Episode = 1.08 chapters/episode

So let's just assume that all of Kai will run at twice the rate of Z, just for the sake of simplicity.

Saiyan arc
1.37 x 2 = 2.74 chapters per episode
35 / 2.74 = 13 episodes (001-013)

Freeza arc
1.08 x 2 = 2.16 chapters per episode
80 / 2.16 = 37 episodes (014-050)

Artificial Human arc
1.24 x 2 = 2.48 chapters per episode
74 / 2.48 = 30 episodes (051-080)

Majin Buu arc
1.08 x 2 = 2.16 chapters per episode
92 / 2.16 = 43 episodes (081-123)

Now don't take these numbers as anything concrete, because you can see they're just a little off. But I think they're pretty close to what we can expect, unless they really change things up a lot and cut more material than I think they will. So like I said earlier, I think we'll see that 99 planned episode number change as we approach it.

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:19 pm

I didn't say it had the most filler. I haven't seen most of it, but it's one my favourite arcs overall in the manga. I just said 30 episodes seems pretty short for how long it was.

I really do hope that episode that Dabra wasted in the meditation chamber gets chopped though. That really annoyed.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:39 pm

Amigo Ten wrote:I didn't say it had the most filler.
I never said that you did. Sorry if it came off that way, I was just throwing it out there because it was mentioned in this thread already. ;)
Amigo Ten wrote:I haven't seen most of it, but it's one my favourite arcs overall in the manga. I just said 30 episodes seems pretty short for how long it was.
I agree. But like I said above, I don't think they're planning on squeezing it into 30 episodes. That's just as far as they're listing episodes for now. They've "tentatively planned" 99 episodes, just like they did earlier with the 50 episodes. I expect that this will change, because as both you and I have pointed out, that would really be cramming it in there.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:39 pm

We did the math back when Kai was announced and the "100 episodes" thing was still just a rumor. Kai covers about three to five chapters of the manga per episode. Also, the Android and Boo arcs have a lot of filler. No worries. 100-ish episodes will be enough.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:22 pm

Hujio wrote:You know, I've never understood why so many people think that the Buu arc by far had the most filler.
Do they? When I first saw it, I thought it had a much quicker pace than the previous arcs.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:40 pm

120 or so sounds more likely to me.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:27 pm

Watch Kai slap us in the face by giving us a reduced Garlic Jr. arc. :P

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:37 pm

Castor Troy wrote:Watch Kai slap us in the face by giving us a reduced Garlic Jr. arc. :P
I actually would be kind of interested in seeing that. I mean, it was basically a filler arc that had filler in it, with all the dumb cutaways to Maron playing cards with Karin and Yajirobe, and way too much standing around even for DBZ. A better paced version might not be so bad.
-Rachel