U.S.'s Nicktoons TV Adds Dragon Ball Z Kai in May

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Treklin
Beyond Newbie

U.S.'s Nicktoons TV Adds Dragon Ball Z Kai in May

Post by Treklin » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:33 am

America's Nicktoons television channel has announced that it will run the Dragon Ball Z Kai action anime series starting in
May 2010. Nicktoons, a spinoff of Nickelodeon, will also launch Voltron Panthera Force from World Events Productions, Ltd.
in conjunction with Kick Start Productions. (The channel did not specify if Voltron Panthera Force is Japanese-animated or
not.) Nicktoons made the announcements during its 2010 Upfront Presentation for advertisers on Thursday morning in New
York City.

The Dragon Ball Kai television series condenses the 1989-1996 Dragon Ball Z anime series to more closely follow Akira
Toriyama's original Dragon Ball manga. In addition to a digital high-definition remastering and a re-recorded soundtrack,
Dragon Ball Kai also enhances selected scenes with new effects or re-animated footage. The series premiered under the
name Dragon Ball Kai in Japan last April, and it has consistently ranked among the top 10 anime in viewer ratings every
week since.

Funimation had licensed the series for North America, and it plans to ship the first part of the series on DVD and Blu-ray
Disc on May 18. The distributor already licensed both the Dragon Ball Z television series and the earlier Dragon Ball
television series for North America. Funimation reassembled most of its original Dragon Ball Z cast for the English dubbing of
Dragon Ball Z Kai, except for four new cast members. Viz Media publishes the original manga in North America.

Nickelodeon has run a number of anime titles in the past, although neither Nicktoons nor Nickelodeon has a Japanese
animated program in the current season.

Source: ANN

Official "Nick Press" Press Release from 3/11/2010 Page 3

Now, the most important question:
Will be Nicktoons airing DBZ Kai in 4:3 ???
Last edited by Treklin on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The word "KAI" means in the old North Germanic language Frisian "Kämpfer engl. Fighter" respectively "Krieger engl. Warrior"!

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: U.S.'s Nicktoons TV Adds Dragon Ball Z Kai in May

Post by LilKokuLink » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:40 am

Never quite expected it to air on NickToons, seems like it is targeted more for the younger audience (atleast there will be no need to censor things and flippin cut out footage, there's no reason for it anyway). I'm really gutted I don't have this channel.
Ah well, I was always going to get the blu-ray sets anyway. Just would have liked to watch it on TV for major nostalgia flashbacks!

Not like I'm gonna go to my parents and ask if they can subscribe to Nicktoons >.>.
Last edited by LilKokuLink on Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Actions have reactions so don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships that people don't speak of.
Dub fan.
Naveed.

Strongbad456
Beyond Newbie

Post by Strongbad456 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:44 am

Only thing I'm worried about is edits and edited dialogue. It is a children's network after all. Hopefully FUNi won't screw up.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:49 am

Since it's more appropriate here...
Wow...

Does this mean FUNimation is once again going to go with the "uncut in terms of footage only" route and have "censored" dialogue in the dub? I mean hecks, darns, goshes and a severely toned down Roshi? I'm talking about the uncut DVD's here.

Also, I wonder if Kai is going to be further censored visually. That would be worth a laugh. What am I saying, of course it will be... :roll:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:16 pm

I have Nicktoons. I'll certainly check it out when it hits to see what changes are made.

Oh, cool! Ninja Turtles and Dragonball Kai in the same block!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:56 pm

Since this is the section for Kai on this forum, let's keep this as the dedicated thread.

Something I just posted over on the ANN thread --
VegettoEX wrote:Unless I'm reading something wrong from the formal press release, there is absolutely nothing stated about a traditional television broadcast for Kai in North America. It is specifically listed under the "Nick's digital nets" header, and Kai is furthermore specifically listed for "Nicktoons", one of their online portals for streaming.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:08 pm

See the home page for further analysis. Probably coming to TV, yes, but I personally don't think it's 100% clear.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Greenman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Greenman » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:16 pm

VegettoEX wrote:See the home page for further analysis. Probably coming to TV, yes, but I personally don't think it's 100% clear.
In the press release "Nick's Digital Nets" seems to refer to their digital cable channels and not their online networks. The press release seems to be separated by regular Nickelodeon/digital cable not by TV/online.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:18 pm

Yeah, I've made that a little more clear in the update on the home page. As I noted, I suppose it's my lack of cable that confused me from the start (and, ya' know, the Nicktoons site actually streaming stuff)... though I still think it's important to get an official "YES ON TELEVISION" from someone soon :).

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:22 pm

VegettoEX wrote:See the home page for further analysis. Probably coming to TV, yes, but I personally don't think it's 100% clear.
I'm going to go with your "lack of cable" angle on this one. TeenNick, Nicktoons and Nick Jr. are all part of Nickelodeon's digital tear of TV channels, or their digital network. I understand where you're coming from, although it seems a bit out-there, but I can't imagine they'd not put it on TV in some form and only stream it online. I mean, FUNimation could easily do that on their own. Besides, everything Nicktoons streams, has already aired on TV. Kind of like how ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX do it these days.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:54 pm

This is amazing news. I for one am curious as to how Nickelodeon would handle anime censorship (Any censorship would be mostly due to Nickelodeon, not Funimation, right?).
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:08 pm

Is this going to air in the UK? :)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:13 pm

How strange it'll be to have Dragon Ball airing on a station in the U.S. that isn't Cartoon Network. :shock:

I seriously doubt Nick could ever come close to some of the old advertisements Toonami used to put together for Z though.
Cartoon Network must really be done with anime for good if they turned Kai down. (Or maybe Funi never offered Kai to CN to begin with? )

I have NickToons. I haven't watched the channel in forever, but I have it. If Funi doesn't stream their Kai dub on one of their online accounts (YouTube, Hulu.) I'll check it out on TV.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:16 pm

SSJSteve wrote:Is this going to air in the UK? :)
Oh damn, US Nicktoons. Fuck. I will cry if the UK is left out :(.
Actions have reactions so don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships that people don't speak of.
Dub fan.
Naveed.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Chuquita wrote:How strange it'll be to have Dragon Ball airing on a station in the U.S. that isn't Cartoon Network. :shock:
I know what you mean.

This is really shocking news. Let's just hope FUNi goes the route that they went with One Piece. Keeping the cursing intact on the DVD's but making separate toned down dialogue for the TV Broadcast. But I must say I'm very happy to hear that there's still a market for DragonBall on TV.

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:20 pm

LilKokuLink wrote:
SSJSteve wrote:Is this going to air in the UK? :)
Oh damn, US Nicktoons. Fuck. I will cry if the UK is left out :(.
Me to, but I wont be surprised if we dont get it. :lol:

mysteriousdbzgt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mysteriousdbzgt » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Wow, this is very interesting that DB Kai is getting aired on Nicktoons rather than Cartoon Network, it's a shame that it probably won't be aired over here in the UK (or then again it might). Would have loved to have checked it out.
Just another Dragon Ball fangirl in the world.

DB & Tiger and Bunny are my main fandoms, along with many other animes.

Deviantart Profile/ Tiger & Bunnyftw tumblr/ mysteriousdbzgt tumblr / My Anime List Profile

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:24 pm

I'm gonna stick with the simplistic way of thinking and assume that it'll be on TV. I do hope that it gets streamed and episodes are available for purchase on iTunes and PSN or whatever, but I'm going to assume that this press release is in relation to television.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:29 pm

I hope they don't butcher down dialogue because of this. Man, this is like 1999 all over again. :shock:

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:38 pm

It's interesting though, we may not actually get a broadcast in the UK due to FUNimation now being owned by Navarre. Region encodes on DVD's, access to website, we're so left out :(.

Episodes being available for download on iTunes is pretty cool, but to me that'll just feel like downloading the episodes online (well it is that, but legally). I think the blu-rays play a better part in that sense, apart from costing more.

The UK still has a really big fanbase, the amount of DragonBall fans or just anime/manga in general I've found are quite extraordinary.

However, I don't get the 'oomft' that I used to get when watching these on DVD. I want to go all fan-boy again, air in the UK!
Dub fan.
Naveed.