Why Cartoon Network didn't get Kai?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baby Naruto
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Why Cartoon Network didn't get Kai?

Post by Baby Naruto » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:23 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:It seems that Kai might actually be on Cartoon Network after all. Colleen Clinkenbeard left a message on Facebook thanking people for wishing her happy birthday, but she also said "Countdown til DBZ Kai airs on Nicktoons and Cartoon Network! :)" So... Will it really be airing on CN?! I hope so!! :shock:
Link to her tweet please?

And this must be the first time an anime premieres in the U.S. on 2 different channels around the same time.

DbzFanboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by DbzFanboy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:40 am

Baby Naruto wrote:
linkdude20002001 wrote:It seems that Kai might actually be on Cartoon Network after all. Colleen Clinkenbeard left a message on Facebook thanking people for wishing her happy birthday, but she also said "Countdown til DBZ Kai airs on Nicktoons and Cartoon Network! :)" So... Will it really be airing on CN?! I hope so!! :shock:

And this must be the first time an anime premieres in the U.S. on 2 different channels around the same time.
I hope this works, I took a screen shot of her facebook post. If this is true then that means the dragon ball franchise is going to explode. http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a106/ ... 55AM-1.png
FOREVER FORNEVER

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:43 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Nah, it's 100% confirmed that it's going to air on Nicktoons.
She said it's going to be on both stations. I really hope it is. As DbzFanboy said, the fandom is going to explode! :D
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Baby Naruto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Baby Naruto » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:57 am

DbzFanboy wrote:
Baby Naruto wrote:

I hope this works, I took a screen shot of her facebook post. If this is true then that means the dragon ball franchise is going to explode. http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a106/ ... 55AM-1.png
Thanks, but what I wanted was for you to provide the link for her twitter account. Meh.
linkdude20002001 wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Nah, it's 100% confirmed that it's going to air on Nicktoons.
She said it's going to be on both stations. I really hope it is. As DbzFanboy said, the fandom is going to explode! :D
This better be the case :)!

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:06 am

Honestly, CN's current stance on anime doesn't really surprise me. Anime in the North American market really hit its stride in the early 2000s and has been in decline ever since. I mean, think of how many big anime distributors there were in 2003 when it seemed like every popular show in Japan was getting picked up for home video release over here. Now it's just, what, Funimation, Viz and Bandai as the big guns? To me, anime seems like a big risk for a cable channel. Even Dragon Ball Z, as wrong as that sounds considering how Z pretty much made Toonami as big as it was. I think CN knows every little kid that loved DBZ back then is out of college (or close to it) with better things to do with their time than tune in for 30 minutes of nostalgia every day. I'm not saying there are fans who wouldn't watch it religiously, just that it likely won't draw nearly as large an audience as it did at the height of its popularity.

I wish Kai the best as far as the broadcast goes. I watched the clips on the Nick website and while I still think some of the old voice actors don't fit their characters, I like the script overhaul. If at some point Kai overtakes Z as the preferred method for new fans to experience the show (and let's face it, slashing the episode count in half will do that), and that person watches it dubbed, at least they'll get to experience the story the right way.

And on the topic of CN's demise, I'll just say this. I love the hell out of Adult Swim. I think most of its original programming is great and acquiring Family Guy and King of the Hill were great moves. Brit Block needs to go and I won't be shocked if and when they axe anime on Saturday nights. But I am genuinely embarrassed sometimes when I'll fall asleep watching Family Guy and wake up to the filth they have on in the mornings. But I suppose one man's filth is a six year old's treasure.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:47 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:
Really? I hope you're right.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:08 pm

obiwan23s wrote: Brit Block needs to go
You'd best not be badmouthing "The Office", boy. That show is Golden.

Anyway, I highly doubt this would air on both stations, though It'd be nice to see the different censors between the two stations.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:48 pm

That would very interesting. I'd like to see what they can and can't do on the different stations. Though, it could easily be the same on both.

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:04 pm

Kinda interesting with this and other shows going back and forth between Nick/Nicktoons and CN. Nick had that Canadian show 6Teen and didn't do too much with it, then CN gets it and whores it out. CN has that new FF show, but screws it over and doesn't show all the eps, then Nicktoons gets it and promotes more than what CN was doing. Will grant kinda funny since he va for Reed Richards on that show has delivered one of the most memorable anime quotes.

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:19 am

It seems like DB/Z/GT never air on CN where you guys are?

I've seen DB/Z on CN all the time, though mostly movies.
however, its been a few months
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:30 pm

Well, in the US, we haven't had DB on TV in years. And lately, CN's been really hating anime. When we heard that Nicktoons was getting Kai, we were kind of shocked because DB had always been on CN here. But now, it seems there's a slight chance of it airing on both channels.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:41 pm

Uh...I seem to remember Dragon Ball Z airing on Kids'WB and in syndication. ;)

I wouldn't take the claim both channels will be running the series very seriously. It seems like a case of miscommunication.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:08 pm

Uh... :oops:
I seem to forget that for a moment. Lol.

And I'm not taking it as fact, but I am considering it as a possibility.