Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Locked
User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13461
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:11 am

Check under the wall post made by Subzero Ice. Schemmel left these comments:
Seán Schemmel Here is why the Ocean group dub will suck. And it has nothing to do with the actors as I have enormous respect for all of them. As far as I know, the Ocean group dub is going to have this really shitty music (some of which I have heard) and a whole host of added sound effects such as "doinks" and "boinks" and even in one scene, where Bulma ... See Moresimply turns her head in a conversation you hear a "whoosh" sound ala a bad martial arts movie. We are giving you the purest DBZ experience possible, and if you don't like that, then you don't like DBZ.
Seán Schemmel yep. same time as ours. it's all about money people. even for Toei...

I'm...a wee bit perplexed by what this means. O.o
Last edited by JulieYBM on Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
She/Her | Practice self-care.

User avatar
Castor Troy
I Live Here
Posts: 2134
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:37 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Contact:

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:12 am

Will Ocean use the Megaman NT Warrior music in their Kai dub? :P

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15035
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by Chuquita » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:17 am

WOW!
I know a few people who are fans of some of the Ocean VA's. If it turns out to be true that Ocean's doing their own dub of Kai, I'd like to let them know about it.

But I want to find out if this is true or not first; I don't wanna get hopes up and then have it turn out to be fake. ^^;;;
Last edited by Chuquita on Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:21 am
Location: USA

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by G1Ravage » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:17 am

Wait...what? Where will the Ocean dub be airing?

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by penguintruth » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:18 am

Damn it, Sean Schemmel, stop making me like you, when I dislike you so much!
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13461
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:18 am

G1Ravage wrote:Wait...what? Where will the Ocean dub be airing?
Canada, most likely. YTV apparently got the Westwood dub of 123-291 to air there as they did because of supposed International fan backlash from the change in cast.

I'm finding this a wee bit hard to believe, but I guess we'll know once we start seeing clips on the internet.

I wonder who will voice Gokû and Gohan, though. Morrow and Jillian Michaels? >________>
Last edited by JulieYBM on Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her | Practice self-care.

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5907
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:24 am

It's quite hilarious that Schemmel is totally deriding what was, up until this point, FUNimation's own tried and true practice. If I don't like this, I don't like Dragon Ball? Hmm, I could have sworn I didn't know GT at all either... or at least that's what you told me. :lol:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 7/6/20!)
Current Episode: Overloading on Gods - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 6!

User avatar
bkev
I Live Here
Posts: 2514
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Twitter. Tweet-Tweet.

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by bkev » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:25 am

I wonder who'll be Goku this time...
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13461
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:26 am

I'm actually not too keen on taking this news as absolute fact. It's...odd, really. Maybe this is what the 'big news' is?
She/Her | Practice self-care.

User avatar
Castor Troy
I Live Here
Posts: 2134
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:37 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Contact:

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:26 am

If Ian Corlett comes back as Goku, that would make the Ocean Kai dub kinda worth watching.

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by penguintruth » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:27 am

It would be cool to hear Brian Drummond as Vegeta and Scott McNeil as Piccolo again, but preferrably in an accurate dub.

Not so exciting would be hearing Pauline Newstone and Mickey Mousing music.
Castor Troy wrote:If Ian Corlett comes back as Goku, that would make the Ocean Kai dub kinda worth watching.
My vote is for Peter Kelamis!
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13461
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:29 am

Kelamis did pretty bad when he came back to do the Artificial Humans stuff. I don't think he's even done voice work for a while, and Morrow's a pretty big name amongst dub actor fans from the area.
She/Her | Practice self-care.

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by penguintruth » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:31 am

JulieYBM wrote:Kelamis did pretty bad when he came back to do the Artificial Humans stuff. I don't think he's even done voice work for a while, and Morrow's a pretty big name amongst dub actor fans from the area.
Morrow is an excellent voice actor, but his Goku is all wrong.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15035
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by Chuquita » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:34 am

Seeing Ocean redub the episodes that I most know them for sounds so interesting (and kind of funny that it's Kai). I want to hear Scott McNeil's Piccolo again! And to hear Brian Drummond say 8000 instead of 9000. X3

I don't know which of the two original Ocean Gokus I'd like to see come back more.

Kirby Morrow's Goku sounds to close to his Miroku. I keep expecting his Goku to start asking nearby women to bear his children. ^^;;

I do like him as Miroku though. :3
Last edited by Chuquita on Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

User avatar
ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:16 am

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:35 am

penguintruth wrote: My vote is for Peter Kelamis!
That'd be the only way I'd ever watch the Ocean dub. But, only if he finds his footing on how to play Goku again. But, yeah, if they really are getting a dub for DBZ: Kai, it'd probably be Kirby Mirrow as Goku.

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6116
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:41 am

So is this why Schemmel mentioned "bad Canadian music"?

I really hope that an edited, altered version with Ocean's actors, changed sound effects and music isn't the "big news"...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by penguintruth » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:43 am

Maybe Ian Corlett can voice Goku for the first set and then Peter Kelamis takes over after that! Just like before! :lol:

I'd be willing to put up with Morrow's Goku if it meant getting Drummond and McNeil. Er, maybe.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6898
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:31 am
Location: SoCal
Contact:

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by Kendamu » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:48 am

Metalwario64 wrote:So is this why Schemmel mentioned "bad Canadian music"?

I really hope that an edited, altered version with Ocean's actors, changed sound effects and music isn't the "big news"...
Because altered music is what everyone in this community would look forward to, right?

User avatar
Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5478
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Nagano
Contact:

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by Cipher » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:54 am

Sean Schemmel wrote:We are giving you the purest DBZ experience possible, and if you don't like that, then you don't like DBZ.
But, Sean, I do like DBZ. I just don't like DBK. :(
Gaffer Tape wrote:Hmm, I could have sworn I didn't know GT at all either... or at least that's what you told me.
To be fair, that's actually just what Funimation's marketing told you.

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by penguintruth » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:56 am

Come to think of it, how little sense does it make for Ocean to do a Saban-era-type dub of this show in the year 2010? Do they plan to release it on DVD? Is it just for airing in Canada and the UK?

Thinking about it, it's a very suspicious rumor.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Locked