Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by RazorX » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:33 am

Metalwario64 wrote: Funny how you very conveniently ignore the fact that he is referring to the actual FUNimation dub of the opening. Vic Mignogna's "Bit-by-Bit" blows away Blue Water's "DRAGON BALL GT", both in lyrics and singing.
As I've mentioned before, I'm focusing primarily on the TV runs of both dubs because that is what most people would've seen, that is how the companies originally intended to handle the series and that is the material that was available for some years until Funimation decided to release the season sets.

The Japanese "Dan Dan" blows away all the dub openings. Blue Water's opening is better than Vic's "bit by bit" because Vic's singing was cringe worthy and somehow he managed to make what is an awesome song in Japanese unpleasant to listen to in Funimation's English version. If Funimation hired their DB opening singer, their GT opening could've been much better. Blue Water's opening at least had someone who can sing.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:57 am

RazorX wrote: As I've mentioned before, I'm focusing primarily on the TV runs of both dubs because that is what most people would've seen, that is how the companies originally intended to handle the series and that is the material that was available for some years until Funimation decided to release the season sets.
It seems awfully convenient to just ignore any corrections FUNimation made over the years, to misleadingly give another point to the Blue Water dub. It doesn't change the fact that FUNimation has fixed that mistake, and the current dub on the market has the original score. You can buy it that way, and watch it that way at this point in time, so it really is a non-issue, just like the old "edited" DVD releases.

That would be like complaining about FUNimation censoring and editing, or even cropping Dragon Ball Z, even though an uncut, full-screen version is readily available on the market.
RazorX wrote:The Japanese "Dan Dan" blows away all the dub openings.
I wouldn't say it quite blows away Vic's version, but it is much better regardless.
RazorX wrote:Blue Water's opening is better than Vic's "bit by bit" because Vic's singing was cringe worthy and somehow he managed to make what is an awesome song in Japanese unpleasant to listen to in Funimation's English version. If Funimation hired their DB opening singer, their GT opening could've been much better. Blue Water's opening at least had someone who can sing.
I thought Vic's singing was very good during his dub of "Bit-by-Bit" (as always). The lyrics were also infinitely more accurate than the Blue Water's version.
RazorX wrote:Blue Water's opening at least had someone who can sing.
Troll! :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:00 am

I'd say I like Vic's just as much as the Japanese, except I can actually understand it.

If he were to do an official, studio, full version, though...man...that'd be great.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:00 am

I'd say I like Vic's just as much as the Japanese, except I can actually understand it.

If he were to do an official, studio, full version, though...man...that'd be great.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:32 am

Metalwario64 wrote: It seems awfully convenient to just ignore any corrections FUNimation made over the years, to misleadingly give another point to the Blue Water dub. It doesn't change the fact that FUNimation has fixed that mistake,
They fixed the direction? No.
and the current dub on the market has the original score. You can buy it that way, and watch it that way at this point in time, so it really is a non-issue, just like the old "edited" DVD releases.
Simply slapping on the Japanese track doesn't fix the problems.

I thought Vic's singing was very good during his dub of "Bit-by-Bit" (as always).
I would go as far as to say that Vic's singing is slightly worse in his "bit by bit" than "Dragon Soul."
Because its very mature to insult someone you disagree with. :roll:

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:45 am

I guess the mods were sucked through a vortex into a parallel universe or something.

Here's my two cents,

GT isn't good to begin with. I completely disregard its existence most of the time, so I really don't have a favorite version.

I will however say that the Blue Water dub isn't as good as the FUNimation's version.

Especially their updated version with all episodes uncut and the original Japanese score... you know... that version RazorX doesn't want to admit exists.

Though it will be more accurate at times, it doesn't really help if the voices make me want to kill myself. If Linda Young's Freeza had stayed for Kai, I know that I (among many others) would have still HATED hearing that voice. Even though she'd be saying proper stuff, it still grates on my ears and causes me to soil myself when I hear it.
RazorX wrote: Simply slapping on the Japanese track doesn't fix the problems.
If that's the case, why do you consistently praise the Blue Water dub for having it? It's not like the original music will save that dub from terrible actors.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:51 am

RazorX wrote:
Because its very mature to insult someone you disagree with. :roll:
>Implying that being a "Troll" is an insult.

Anyway, I'd have go say I'm not a big fan of BW's DBGT. For one...the Vegeta...oh, man...the Vegeta...

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:59 am

ohaimynameiserik wrote: If that's the case, why do you consistently praise the Blue Water dub for having it? It's not like the original music will save that dub from terrible actors.
Perhaps it's because the actors aren't terrible.

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:01 pm

RazorX wrote:
ohaimynameiserik wrote: If that's the case, why do you consistently praise the Blue Water dub for having it? It's not like the original music will save that dub from terrible actors.
Perhaps it's because the actors aren't terrible.
Lol @ the DaizEx equivalent of "NO U!!1!"

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:02 pm

This thread is going absolutely nowhere. It is full of nothing but pompous and stubborn posts that say nothing but, "NUH UH! I'M RIGHT!" over and over.

This is *not* how you hold a conversation on this forum. This is a global warning to all participants in this thread. Any further infractions of the forum rules will be met with the usual escalation of account warnings and bannings. If you cannot find a way to politely converse with your fellow fans and understand how to back up opinions and feelings with genuine explanations of substance, then this is not the right forum for you.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::