Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6467
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:34 pm

penguintruth wrote:Surely you jest. Schemmel and Corlett were the stiff, growly, forced-sounding ones, and never captured Goku's spirit.

Listen to Kelamis in this clip. His voice, his delivery, this is more Goku than Corlett or Schemmel ever were:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5_TduZka-Y
Again, can you actually explain instead of saying that I'm joking because I disagree with you? Just listen to him when he says, "I can't believe we're fighting on the same side." He sounds way too goofy saying that line. He just sounds like a goofy cartoon character. However, Sean Schemmel does it much more naturally:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvF_6kJ7 ... re=related
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 406
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 7:24 pm

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by RazorX » Wed May 26, 2010 8:41 pm

Velasa wrote:
RazorX wrote:Did Ocean change the music for Gundam?
If we're talking Wing, I very distinctly remember hearing Japanese music playing on my tv for the first time completely un-fucked with during the run of the series. It was a beautiful experience.
Ok, so Ocean has done some series with the original Japanese musical score.
I've actually been looking for this for a little while now *grins* Edited or not, I loved me some Ian.
The edited movie 3 actually contains some scenes from the DBZ TV episodes, probably to make up for the stuff that was cut out, a bit like DB movie 1. There was a file of the edited movie 3 going round a few years ago, it was poor quality though and it was also on youtube, I cant find it now but I found a scene of movie 3 with Ian as Goku:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLRDLeLmiEA

I'd say Ian did a better job than Peter on movie 3.

penguintruth wrote:Of course they didn't change the music and had accurate scripts. But surely that's not your only standards for a dub, right?
No it isnt. But its interesting to know that keeping the original Japanese music and using accurate scripts appears to be standard practice for Blue Water Studios.
jjgp1112 wrote:I find it hard to believe that anyone could think Peter Kelamis did a good job in this scene. He overdelivered every line and made every line sound incredibly cheesy, whereas Sean Schemmel just does it normally. That's my main problem with kelamis. he sounds way too forced. Ian Corlett and Sean Schemmel were both a great deal better.
Actually, Peter Kelamis did a much, much better job than Sean Schemmel. Sean comes off as someone who's trying to act tough, whereas Peter is more serious and confident. Peter's also closer to the original Japanese voice and his Kaioken in movie 2 is fricken awesome.

The Pioneer dubs of the movies are so much better than the Funimation dubs. You're trying to compare the best English DBZ release we got (Pioneer/Ocean movies 1-3) to a poor redub (Funimation.) To be honest, Funimation should not have even redubbed the first 3 movies, they were originally uncut by Pioneer with an accurate script, incredibly well done voice acting and use of the original Japanese music score, they have what fans want. Ah well I have my Pioneer DVDs so I dont ever have to watch the Funimation versions.
penguintruth wrote:Listen to Kelamis in this clip. His voice, his delivery, this is more Goku than Corlett or Schemmel ever were:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5_TduZka-Y
Scott McNeil is good in that clip as well. So since you prefer Peter, was your initial reaction one of joy when the voices changed from Ian to Peter in the Namek episodes? The very first time you saw it and were not anticipating a voice change.

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by penguintruth » Wed May 26, 2010 8:50 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Again, can you actually explain instead of saying that I'm joking because I disagree with you? Just listen to him when he says, "I can't believe we're fighting on the same side." He sounds way too goofy saying that line. He just sounds like a goofy cartoon character. However, Sean Schemmel does it much more naturally:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvF_6kJ7 ... re=related
Kelamis makes Goku sound like... well, like Goku, in that scene. Schemmel's is actually pretty good, to be honest, but doesn't quite capture Goku's personality the way Kelamis does in that line.
RazorX wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLRDLeLmiEA

I'd say Ian did a better job than Peter on movie 3.
Hm, I don't know: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFSMzQRL ... re=related
No it isnt. But its interesting to know that keeping the original Japanese music and using accurate scripts appears to be standard practice for Blue Water Studios.
It's the standard practice for most anime dubbing studios nowadays.
Scott McNeil is good in that clip as well. So since you prefer Peter, was your initial reaction one of joy when the voices changed from Ian to Peter in the Namek episodes? The very first time you saw it and were not anticipating a voice change.
I didn't really learn to appreciate Kelamis until I watched the movies. The TV series really underutilized him. Keep in mind, Goku didn't do much in the episodes Kelamis was in the role. He was glued to a spaceship, and that's about it.

But the episode where he arrives on Namek and takes on Recoome, that was great.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6467
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:59 pm

I think Scott McNeil would be a lot better if he toned down the "Cowboy" thing. he's way too raspy for my taste.

And RazorX, we're just gonna have to agree to disagree. You're biased toward the Ocean dub, I'm biased towards the FUNi dub, so we'll just leave it at that. I thought Funi did a much better job with the movies than Ocean did, mainly because the Ocean voices are a little too one-dimensional in my opinion. But that's just me. If you like those voices better, then fine.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6128
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed May 26, 2010 9:02 pm

RazorX wrote:uncut by Pioneer with an accurate script, incredibly well done voice acting and use of the original Japanese music score, they have what fans want. Ah well I have my Pioneer DVDs so I dont ever have to watch the Funimation versions.
The FUNimation DVD is uncut as well, and for movies 1 and 2 have a script that is just as accurate (though for some reason they felt the need to revert to the old TV script for movie 3's dub), and the latest Double Feature DVD's have the Japanese music as well. Not gonna comment on the acting part because I don't feel like arguing right now. :P
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 406
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 7:24 pm

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by RazorX » Wed May 26, 2010 9:12 pm

penguintruth wrote:
Hm, I don't know: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFSMzQRL ... re=related
Peter is good, I'm not denying that, but Ian's voice is more commanding and comes off a bit more natural. I enjoy both versions and I thought it was cool to have 2 Ocean dubs of the same movie (Movie 3) both are highly enjoyable to watch.
It's the standard practice for most anime dubbing studios nowadays.
Maybe nowadays, but perhaps it wasnt in 2003 when GT was dubbed and 2003-2004 when Dragon Ball was dubbed.
I didn't really learn to appreciate Kelamis until I watched the movies. The TV series really underutilized him. Keep in mind, Goku didn't do much in the episodes Kelamis was in the role. He was glued to a spaceship, and that's about it.
I'd say Peter got off to a rough start but he quickly adapted to the role. As episodes went by, I started enjoying his take.
But the episode where he arrives on Namek and takes on Recoome, that was great.
Agreed. The Reccome episodes are among Peter's finest work, there are some others in the Android episodes where Peter does a great job. He made a slight tweak to his voice when he returned for the Westwood Studios/Ocean dub and that added to the character.
jjgp1112 wrote:I think Scott McNeil would be a lot better if he toned down the "Cowboy" thing. he's way too raspy for my taste.
Whatever slight Western type hint Scott had in his Piccolo voice was completely gone when he returned for the Android episodes onwards, prior to that its only in a few scenes, very minimal.
And RazorX, we're just gonna have to agree to disagree. You're biased toward the Ocean dub, I'm biased towards the FUNi dub, so we'll just leave it at that. I thought Funi did a much better job with the movies than Ocean did, mainly because the Ocean voices are a little too one-dimensional in my opinion. But that's just me. If you like those voices better, then fine.
I disagree with the one dimensional description you attributed to the Ocean versions, their voices are multi dimensional talent wise, character wise and acting wise. The Funimation voices come across as stiff and at times like they're trying too hard. But yeah we'll agree to disagree.
Metalwario64 wrote:The FUNimation DVD is uncut as well, and for movies 1 and 2 have a script that is just as accurate (though for some reason they felt the need to revert to the old TV script for movie 3's dub), and the latest Double Feature DVD's have the Japanese music as well. Not gonna comment on the acting part because I don't feel like arguing right now.
IIRC, Funimation removed the hell and damn words from their script, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

The double features came too late, Funimation should've included the English voices with Japanese musical track from the start. But In my view, even with the Japanese bgm, the Funimation versions are still no match for the Pioneer/Ocean versions. I'd imagine most people would've bought and were happy with the Pioneer movies.

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6467
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed May 26, 2010 9:21 pm

In Funi's Movie 2 dub, Dr. Wheelo says, "What the hell is he planning to do?!" when Goku is gathering energy for the Spirit Bomb, and yells, "DAMN YOU, GOKU!" when he gets hit by it.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 406
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 7:24 pm

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by RazorX » Wed May 26, 2010 9:26 pm

But what about Chichi's "what the hell do you want" and Piccolo's "then you'll know what hell is like" in Ocean dub movie 1 and Turlece's "who the hell are you" in Uncut Ocean movie 3.

Ah so they kept the same "Damn you Goku" as the Ocean movie 2. IIRC, in Ocean's movie 2 Dr Kochin asks Gohan "what the hell do you think you're doing?"

There's probably more, I havent seen the movies in a while.

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6128
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed May 26, 2010 9:31 pm

RazorX wrote:But what about Chichi's "what the hell do you want" and Piccolo's "then you'll know what hell is like" in Ocean dub movie 1 and Turlece's "who the hell are you" in Uncut Ocean movie 3.

Ah so they kept the same "Damn you Goku" as the Ocean movie 2.
Well, movie 3's dub was mostly the edited TV version, so no damn or hell in that one, and movie one's dub removed those words as well for whatever reason. Movie 2's script is probably the closest to the Ocean dubbed verson, even keeping Gohan referring to Piccolo as "Mr. Piccolo" (which FUNimation seemed intent on removing for whatever reason). Movie 1's is still pretty accurate, but the insert song scene is unbearable because they replaced the vocals with Gohan constantly laughing...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 406
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 7:24 pm

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by RazorX » Wed May 26, 2010 9:40 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
RazorX wrote:But what about Chichi's "what the hell do you want" and Piccolo's "then you'll know what hell is like" in Ocean dub movie 1 and Turlece's "who the hell are you" in Uncut Ocean movie 3.

Ah so they kept the same "Damn you Goku" as the Ocean movie 2.
Well, movie 3's dub was mostly the edited TV version, so no damn or hell in that one, and movie one's dub removed those words as well for whatever reason. Movie 2's script is probably the closest to the Ocean dubbed verson, even keeping Gohan referring to Piccolo as "Mr. Piccolo" (which FUNimation seemed intent on removing for whatever reason). Movie 1's is still pretty accurate, but the insert song scene is unbearable because they replaced the vocals with Gohan constantly laughing...
Yeah I remember wondering why Funi removed the hell words from movie 1; there didn't appear to be any reason to.

I kind of liked Gohan calling Piccolo "Mr Piccolo", partly because of the way Saffron Henderson says it, and partly because it's a sign of respect.

I don't know why they went into that direction for the insert song.

User avatar
Chaotic Strike
Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:50 am

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by Chaotic Strike » Wed May 26, 2010 10:02 pm

penguintruth wrote:Surely you jest. Schemmel and Corlett were the stiff, growly, forced-sounding ones, and never captured Goku's spirit.

Listen to Kelamis in this clip. His voice, his delivery, this is more Goku than Corlett or Schemmel ever were:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5_TduZka-Y
I got the exact opposite impression from that clip his delivery is sub-par at best. His tone barely changes at all it just got a little higher and more nasally and there's no energy behind it. IMO it doesn't bring out Goku "spirit" in any way. I think he fails at Goku when trying to sound innocent or excited and fails even harder when he tries to sound serious.

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5915
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed May 26, 2010 10:31 pm

Ugh, geez. Thanks for reminding me. I visited my mother's house a few months ago and decided to break out the Z movies. I never watched the FUNi redub of the first ones because I knew they'd screwed them up in comparison to the first dubs. and I didn't want my first experience with the Japanese score to be ruined. But as I was watching the Japanese version of the films, my curiosity overtook me. "Hmm. I wonder what FUNi did with the insert songs?" The answer: NOTHING! They scrapped them! Made them into some mindless montage with horrible music. Sigh. What else is new? But even at 12 years old, seeing it on TV for the first time, "Piccolo-san Daisuki" was one of the highlights of that movie. I'd play my tape back over and over again of that scene.

Granted, it was my first time to ever hear Rock the Dragon, so I'd watch that part over and over too... secret shame.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 11/9/20!)
Current Episode: Son or Clone? (The Power of Retcons) - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 9!

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5407
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu May 27, 2010 4:42 am

RazorX wrote:
You'd take an inaccurate dub with a dull bgm over a dub which has the original Japanese bgm and a more accurate script?
Firstly, the FUNimation GT dub is really accurate. It's actually the second most accurate FUNimation dub of a DB Anime (obviously after Kai).

Secondly, the voices in the Blue Water GT dub are seriously bad. They're dull, boring and grating to listen to. At least the FUNimation dub puts some life and emotion into the characters.

Thirdly, the option to watch the dub with the original score (and accurately dubbed openings and endings, not an inaccurately dubbed opening and only one instrumental ending), is available on the GT Season Sets.

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6128
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu May 27, 2010 4:49 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote: Firstly, the FUNimation GT dub is really accurate. It's actually the second most accurate FUNimation dub of a DB Anime (obviously after Kai).

Secondly, the voices in the Blue Water GT dub are seriously bad. They're dull, boring and grating to listen to. At least the FUNimation dub puts some life and emotion into the characters.

Thirdly, the option to watch the dub with the original score (and accurately dubbed openings and endings, not an inaccurately dubbed opening and only one instrumental ending), is available on the GT Season Sets.
I agree with this. Although, the only FUNimation voice I have an issue with in GT is Pan's voice... She sounds way too old and it's like she isn't even trying to make her voice sound younger. Not only that, but she really turns the "bitch-o-meter" up on her, and she sounds angry almost all the time, even more so than in the Japanese version. I like the Blue Water Pan actress much better.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7753
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada

Ocean Dub Possibility Discussion

Post by Dayspring » Thu May 27, 2010 12:56 pm

There is no Ocean dub. Well, technically. For those wondering how Sean Schemmel magcally came across the final product of a competing company's dub and then got gag-ordered by his higher ups for slamming it, it seems FUNi hired them to do the edited TV broadcast version of the FUNi dub. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9lI82zt5JM 18 seconds in, you'll find Ocean Productions being credited in the FUNi dub for video editing and production.

EDIT: Thanks to Primus of the Zannen.ca boards for pointing this out. It also seems certain eps don't have them credited.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Greenman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: There is no Ocean dub

Post by Greenman » Thu May 27, 2010 1:31 pm

Interesting that they'd outsource the TV editing to another company. But does Ocean editing the TV version of FUNimation's dub really mean for sure that there won't be an Ocean dub on Canadian TV?

User avatar
ohaimynameiserik
Regular
Posts: 658
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:08 am
Location: Ohio

Re: There is no Ocean dub

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Thu May 27, 2010 1:53 pm

Greenman wrote:Interesting that they'd outsource the TV editing to another company. But does Ocean editing the TV version of FUNimation's dub really mean for sure that there won't be an Ocean dub on Canadian TV?
No, but it does mean that no such one exists right now, at least.

Greenman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by Greenman » Thu May 27, 2010 5:24 pm

The Ocean dub obviously couldn't show Freeza past form one since it initially stopped after 53 episodes. Was there ever a flashback or anything with Freeza in later episodes that Ocean dubbed?

I'm re-watching the the second season of the FUNi/Ocean dub and wow, I'd forgotten how bad Pauline Newstone's Freeza is. No wonder I was confused on Freeza's gender as a kid. Linda Young is mostly a lock to play Freeza in FUNi's Kai dub... would Newstone likely return for a potential Ocean dub?

User avatar
dagame10k
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:35 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Schemmel: "The Ocean Group is doing their own dub"

Post by dagame10k » Thu May 27, 2010 6:26 pm

RazorX wrote:Sorry, but a niche market would not have worked with the Westwood Studios/Ocean version of DBZ. With a niche market, you target a small segment of the market with a product seen to add higher value than others and charge a high price, usually a lot higher than competitors. I dont think The Ocean dub was THAT much more expensive to purchase for broadcast than the Funimation dub, and there is no indication the Ocean dub was targeted to a niche market. On the other hand, there is indication that the Ocean dub was targeted for the mass market. If it was for a niche market, they would've milked it a lot more to ensure maximum profitability, and that means releasing the dub on home video and DVD. The Ocean dub was broadcast in more countries than the Funimation dub, it was intended for the mass audience, that is how they would make their money off it.
It was a made for TV dub created for some European fans who complained. Ever wonder why there are no DVDs? Not everone in Europe liked it. If the Ocean Dub production was more expensive than the FUNimation, oh boy, they didn't get their money's worth. If anything, it was likely cheaper to produce and cheap to broadcast, cheap dub recycled music, copies of FUNimation video, slightly modified scripts, the only thing that would cost more would be the Acting costs.
RazorX wrote:As far as ABGroupe is concerned, when the Westwood Studios/Ocean dub first hit the airwaves, there was a lot of talk about the return of the old voices, everyone knew how angry fans were with the Funimation voices because of the discussions, so someone contacted Cartoon Network about it and received a reply, the reply stated that ABGroupe produced the dub and distributed it to them, that was before any AB Group credits or title cards were seen at the end of the episodes, so when the ABGroup Distribution logo came along, it simply reinforced the information that was given.

There's no indication that Westwood Media licensed DBZ themselves, which means they were given the job by either AB Group or Toei Animation..
Do you by any chance of this CNUK information? I've always heard about it, but I've never found an actual copy of it to read.
RazorX wrote:But the issue brought up here was whether YTV produced the dub to satisfy this Cancon law in Canada, since your location says Canada, perhaps can gives your opinions on this. I know that YTV did not produce the dub, and it was going round that YTV were unhappy with the way Funimation were treating them, but they also need to consider the audience, they dont want to drive away people to the extent that not many would watch it, they had to take that into consideration. The fact that YTV kept the Ocean dub right to the end of the series suggests that it did well on YTV.
The fact that it took 4 years for YTV to lisence another FUNimation Anime pretty much says just that. YTV was fine with FUNimation dub even when Ocean returned to the game. FUNimation pissed them off, and the fact that it was cheaper to buy than the FUNimation dub was bonus to them.
RazorX wrote:Its a bit difficult for someone who's worked on DBZ to not only say another dub is being produced but also describe some elements of it unless it exists, or he's lying.
Ocean Productions is credited in the Nick Toon's broadcast of Kai, Ocean since changing their names to Ocean Productions does more than Studio recordings, they are now into DVD production, production editing etc.
RazorX wrote:The Pioneer/Ocean dub of the first 3 movies is the best release DBZ has got in English, and unless an Ocean dub of Kai gets released on DVD/Blu ray with an accurate script and the Japanese score, its likely to remain the best. From what I've seen, the Pioneer movies blows Funi's Kai dub away.
I would have loved to of seen that, but that dream died when FUNimatin ditched the Ocean Cast.
RazorX wrote:Why not? because you prefer the Funimation dub?
There doesn't need to be another fanbase fragmentation like there was with Dragon Ball Z . Don't like the idea of Terry Klassen messing up the scripts, and I don't want to see rushed voice acting, or the possibility of Blue Water being handed the production......
RazorX wrote:So is it not fanboyish to suggest that the Funimation dub is superior to the Westwood dub?
Do you just ignore the horribly rushed voice acting in the Ocean dub? I'm not for either of them, both dubs made the exact same mistakes.
RazorX wrote:The fact that the Westwood Studios/Ocean dub contains the voices of quality actors and seasoned veterans such as Scott McNeil, Don Brown, Maggie Blue O'Hara, Brian Drummond, the Dobson brothers, Doc Harris, Ted Cole, Terry Klassan etc etc makes it superior, at least in my eyes (and ears) instead of using newcomers.
May have helped them a little, but it didn't help them enough to push them past FUNimations dub. Saffron left at the most critical point in the her characters screen time during the Cell arc, Kirby Morrow's Goku...... Drummond never matched his Season's/2 quality, not even his good best material in the dub towards the end of the Buu Arc, Scott McNeil had his good and his bad performances.
RazorX wrote:I find it hard to believe that the Ocean and Blue Water dubs would've continued if they received those ratings. Even though ABGroup and/or Toei Animation did a great fanservice by bringing back the Ocean cast, they, as well as Funimation, are in it for the money. If the Ocean and Blue Water dubs didn't bring in high ratings, they may have cancelled them because they're not going to throw money away. That was made more significant by the fact that the companies behind the Ocean and Blue Water Studios dubs relied solely on TV airings. (At least for now)?
Dragon Ball Z was the most popular of the 3, didn't matter what dub played anyway. Blue Water blew GT and Dragon Ball with their horrible voice acting, FUNimation blew GT with the music alone, FUNimation Dragon Ball was okay, but the Scripts could have been better. The Ocean/Blue Water Dubs were made for TV, Ocean couldn't release DVD's in North American, and AB Groupe seems uninteresting in the English market.

I have always found the Hypocrisy of the Ocean fan base to be utterly stupid. They complained about FUNimation ditching the Ocean cast, but when Blue Water Dragon ball Gt came around with a dub even worse than Season 3, they were content with it............
RazorX wrote:
dagame10k wrote:Accurate Scripts and Original score means nothing when the voice acting is terrible.
I don't see how that has anything to do with the Ocean/Blue Water Studios dubs.
Goes for Blue Water, terrible voice acting is not worth watching.
RazorX wrote:
dagame10k wrote:[Good voice acting means nothing when the score is replaced, and the scripts are beyond messed up.
I disagree. But, I'd say that in some cases, a better voice cast isnt enough to make the dub better.

Case in point with Dragon Ball. The BLT productions dub has the better cast, but I find the Blue Water dub to be better, why? Because the Blue Water dub uses the original Japanese score and has an accurate script. The Blue water voices are also decent in their own right.
Blue Water dubs are notoriously knownfor being unwatchable because of the horrible voice acting their dubs contain. I could never sit through a single Blue Water dub, they are at the bottom of the totem pole in terms of quality.
RazorX wrote:However with regards to Ocean's DBZ dub, I disagree with your view. The scripts were not the best, and at times they were messed up, and it didn't use the original Japanese score, but the voice performances made the dub incredibly good, and I found the Westwood music to be less annoying and grating than Faulconer music. So any way I look at it, the Westood Studios/Ocean dub of DBZ is better than the Funimation dub. I assume you like the Funimation dub.
Do you like ignoring the robotic at times voice acting? One thing I found interesting about the FUNimation dub, the lines being said by the actors, they sound natural. With the Ocean dub, since Ocean uses Wordfit, on a terrible production, that flaw is made even more obvious, which it did in this case. I watch Season's 1/2 episodes and or movies 1-3 when I feel the need to listen to some quality voice action, but I wouldn't do that for the Westwood or FUNimation dubs.
RazorX wrote:Why is it that most people (at least from what I've seen/come across) prefer the heavily edited and censored Saban produced Ocean dub of DBZ season's 1 and 2(collaborated with Funimation) over the uncut Funimation dub? It seems Ocean dub's better voice acting overrides a Funimation dub which is uncut and has a slightly more accurate script.
If you like just hearing voices and quality voice acting, that's fine, but if I'm going to watch an anime dub, it definately needs to have everything together. I don't consider either dub anything more than demo's, though Season's 1/2 was the best demo :wink:
RazorX wrote:
Dayspring wrote:So what's with the rumor that Ocean handled the video editing for the TV broadcast versions? Were they indeed credited for this (on the TV broadcast version; please don't check your DVD's credits)?
Its interesting that Funimation are still working with Ocean if that is the case, it may also explain how Sean has seen the Ocean Kai dub.
Guy was just a bit confused, just funny how he went on about changed music and scripts like he actually previewed some material.

Ocean Productions
"Nobody's Real............"

User avatar
Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7753
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada

Re: There is no Ocean dub

Post by Dayspring » Thu May 27, 2010 6:56 pm

ohaimynameiserik wrote:
Greenman wrote:Interesting that they'd outsource the TV editing to another company. But does Ocean editing the TV version of FUNimation's dub really mean for sure that there won't be an Ocean dub on Canadian TV?
No, but it does mean that no such one exists right now, at least.
Exactly. This is the ''dub version'' Ocean was rumored to be making, so that means nothing is currently being made by them, be it for Canadian TV or otherwise.

However, the odds of Canadian TV picking this version of Kai up have drastically increased, since it means the more profitable ''original FUNimation version'' of Kai is now at least partly Cancon.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Locked