Dragon Ball Z Kai Volume 1 Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball Z Kai Volume 1 Discussion

Post by dragondyle » Thu May 06, 2010 5:34 am

You must have faith in who you are.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Thu May 06, 2010 5:44 am

dragondyle wrote:Does this one make you guys happy? :P http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4379/zkaicover2.jpg
I'm just think to make that but then i'm think "it's have Freeza in it that's not gonna work"

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Thu May 06, 2010 5:47 am

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:
dragondyle wrote:Does this one make you guys happy? :P http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4379/zkaicover2.jpg
I'm just think to make that but then i'm think "it's have Freeza in it that's not gonna work"
Me too, but then I thought "he was in the first episode." So I think it counts and works, right?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:04 am

dragondyle wrote:
Me too, but then I thought "he was in the first episode." So I think it counts and works, right?
What about Gohan and Vegeta being in their Namek-arc outfits?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Thu May 06, 2010 6:26 am

dragondyle wrote:Me too, but then I thought "he was in the first episode." So I think it counts and works, right?
Metalwario64 wrote:What about Gohan and Vegeta being in their Namek-arc outfits?
My answer is the same as Metalwario64.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Thu May 06, 2010 6:27 am

@Dragondyle:
Unfortunately, you've fallen into the very same pitfall as our friend Mr. 100 there.

Here's the breakdown:
- Less is, as previously said by our buddy bkev, still more.
- There's a lot to be said about coherence in design.
- Bullshit should be avoided.

I was going to to type an overly long explanation, but I decided its less a pain in the ass to keep it brief. Looking at your picture, all I see is it screaming "I wanted to make a COOL cover!!", and that doesn't really mesh with the aims of cover art to begin with. It meshes even less when you don't take the time to consider the overall POINT of your design. As it is, its little more than a collage, and an ungodly mess of one at that.

Frankly, I get the impression you're fundamentally misunderstanding the point of a cover, which is generically a vehicle to sell a product, to grab someones attention or to convey something directly that could thereby cause someone to take interest in the product. You might try stepping back and looking at what you've done and think, "Why should I be interested in this? Why should anyone be interested in this?".

And somehow figure out how to convey that message in a straight forward and pleasing way. 'Cause, frankly, if I'd done what you've done, I'd be fucking embarrassed. Especially with the general "I want people to praise me for doing something better than Funi" vibe in your efforts.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu May 06, 2010 11:15 am

Goku100xKamehameha wrote: *snippy*

No Z Kai title or the Dragon Box words cuz they have white background and that will be akward.

I can see that maybe being on a Movie poster, but not for a "Season One - Part One" release.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Thu May 06, 2010 12:20 pm

Not to mention the logo being awkwardly crunched into the top right corner.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu May 06, 2010 12:50 pm

As far as I'm concerned, Kai's getting the classiest non-Dragon Box packaging since the Dragon Ball saga sets.

Sharp and simple, people. Sharp and simple.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu May 06, 2010 1:04 pm

Cipher wrote:As far as I'm concerned, Kai's getting the classiest non-Dragon Box packaging since the Dragon Ball saga sets.

Sharp and simple, people. Sharp and simple.
That's how I feel about it. I tend to watch the show more than I do look at the packaging.

The only reason I even give a crap about the Dragonbox's packaging and disc art is because they're trying very hard to emulate a limited edition product from Japan so I'm gonna appreciate it for all it's worth. This, on the other hand, is just another standard release.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Treklin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Treklin » Thu May 06, 2010 3:04 pm

i think to spoil the first main villain (gokus brother) in black/white flying view was the best thing
that i could do with my simple photoshop skills ^^ btw... i have forgot to save the psd-file :x^^

this is the render which i used:
The word "KAI" means in the old North Germanic language Frisian "Kämpfer engl. Fighter" respectively "Krieger engl. Warrior"!

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Thu May 06, 2010 3:13 pm

Hurray for Sketch Photoshop filters.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Thu May 06, 2010 3:23 pm

Wow. Just wow. The American DVD actually looks BETTER O_O. The more toned down colors on it are more similar to the DragonBox's.

Am I the only one that finds it odd that Toei is allowed FUNi to put out a superior release? Toei's always been paranoid about reverse importing. And yet here they are letting FUNi put out a completely superior in every way, shape, and form DVD release. I mean just think...

Japanese DVD's:
-Released as singles only with 3 Episodes per.
-Cropped 16:9
-Inferior Video quality.

English DVD's:
-13 Episode Box Sets.
-4:3
-Superior Video Quality

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu May 06, 2010 3:27 pm

the English version has uncut DVDs and BDs alongside two simultaneous broadcast deals. FUNi's probably making a pretty penny off of this and that means Toei probably is, too.

That, or Toei thinks most kids watching this show don't even know how to reverse import Kai.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Thu May 06, 2010 3:30 pm

Gozar wrote:Japanese DVD's:
-Released as singles only with 3 Episodes per.
-Cropped 16:9
-Inferior Video quality.
Whoa I did not know about that! They're still doing singles over there!? That's so antiquated. I bet they cost an arm and a leg too. Looking at it like that we're really getting a great deal for this set. (Sorry I've been living under a rock I guess)
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Thu May 06, 2010 4:46 pm

@ lost in thought, Goku100xKamehameha & Metalwario64 - That cover I posted was just a joke cover. Hence why I put a :P in the post. Don't take things so seriously, lol.

BTW, I am really considering buying this set now, thanks to the comparisons. :D

Treklin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Treklin » Thu May 06, 2010 4:53 pm

Here are my last attempts:

and:

render i used:

I think that the US DVD-Box has the worst quality and the US Blu-ray Box the best.
The word "KAI" means in the old North Germanic language Frisian "Kämpfer engl. Fighter" respectively "Krieger engl. Warrior"!

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Thu May 06, 2010 5:34 pm

Treklin wrote:
I think that the US DVD-Box has the worst quality and the US Blu-ray Box the best.
While I applaud your effort.
Simpler is always better.
You don't need Radditz in the background.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu May 06, 2010 5:47 pm

If you're going to bother changing the design, you might as well redo it. There isn't anything that doesn't clash with that Goku.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu May 06, 2010 5:54 pm

It looks like Goku is on Raditz's side there, with Raditz standing behind him.

Goku, how could you side with your evil brother?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?