DragonBall Z Kai - Cable TV Version (NickToons)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Re: DragonBall Z Kai Cable TV Version (NickToons) Edits!

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:32 pm

"Bloody" is absolutely not a swear in American English. If a child said it, nobody would even bat an eye. It means nothing other than what it actually means.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:02 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:"Bloody" is absolutely not a swear in American English. If a child said it, nobody would even bat an eye. It means nothing other than what it actually means.

That means the person is covered in BLOOD!

Wouldn't 4kids want to edit THAT out? :P
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:51 pm

Ashy-kun wrote:
NeoKING wrote:I was referring to your translation. Kinda went overboard on the Tohoku parts in that Goku example IMO, but you're pretty good.
Why, thank-you. I imagine it does look a little overboard with how I translated Gokuu's way of speaking, but think of it this way. Thank goodness I didn't spell out how I feel Gokuu says "I" phonetically, with his relaxed accent. People would go around thinking he's a Texan stereotype, if I started writing "Ah'm gonna beat ya". Also some of the... Oh, what's the word... Have to think back on my language courses... "Elisions", I believe, such as with "Was feelin'" for "Omotte'ta", are actually me showing the elision of "Omotteita" to "Omotte'ta", so "Was feeling" becomes "Was feelin'".
xzero wrote: On almost all broadcast versions, the script is censored as well. Interestingly, I recall there being no (or minimal) censorship when Cartoon Network aired the redub of Seasons 1 & 2. Of course, that was at 10:00 and 10:30 at night, so I guess the "bastards," "hells," and "dammits" were permissible under their standards for that time of night, notwithstanding the fact that it was DBZ (my personal favorite was Jeice's reaction to Vegeta's killing Guldo: "That bastard just killed Guldo!"). Plus, many of us will remember the slip during the first 3 airings of the Freeza Saga in September of 1999, November of 1999, and either January or March of 2000: Dende: "Don't piss off the god of love!" I know there were other instances of mild profanity scattered throughout the initial DBZ run, but they were few and far between (all of them can be heard on the Orange Bricks and Dragon Box sets).
First off, why do I feel you liked that line from Jhees, because it conjures up images of "Oh my God, they killed Ghurd! You bastards!"

Secondly, I can't help but Jhees swearing in the edited dub, as well. "Ah, bugger! Blasted thing...", when he's reading Gokuu's Battle Strength on his Scouter, and then "No bloody Saiyan's that strong!"

Which brings me onto an interesting point. I've noticed that for some reason, even on edited broadcasts, characters given inexplicable Australian accents seem to get away with saying all sorts. Certainly "Bloody" crops up a lot. I mean, it even appears in a 4Kids show. Yuugi Ou, when Bakura is duelling against Ghost Kotsuzuka, the Bandit Keith lackey with red hair and shades (and an Australian accent) goes "Bonz, whatever you do, don't you bloody lose!"

So seriously, what is it? Do Americans think that "bloody" isn't a swear word (no matter how light) in the Australian language/accent/dialect, and so if they give a character an Australian accent on an edited show, they not only can say it, but are even obliged to?

(Please note I'm not being serious. I'm just pointing out the silliness of it all.)
Those words are, for the most part, not considered swear words by most parents, and more importantly, by the FCC. I'm sure some people who do consider them as such work on the shows and just giggle like mad at getting away with it.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:52 pm

You really never know with 4Kids. One second they're censoring the crap outta OP, the next they go WAY past the radar. See Ultimate Muscle.("Kinniku Man" in Japan.) Here's a little quip from episode one of the dub:

"Out of the whole galaxy, your dad was the strongest, most brutal, meanest son of a bi-"

'OKAY I GET IT."

And another episode had this:

"Roxanne, bring your two friends and we can have a foursome.... of miniature golf!"

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:10 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:What the crap? They take Bardock's scar away for episode 1 but Whoopsies we have it back in episode,,,,whatever this one is?

They should have kept it in to begin with.

There's also a small amount of blood visible that doesn't appear to be in a "hard to edit out" spot. Exactly, what is Nicktoon's standard with blood? They can't seem to decide on whether to remove it, turn it to dirt, or leave a little in.
Last edited by MetroidJunkie on Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:15 pm

Mewzard wrote:Those words are, for the most part, not considered swear words by most parents, and more importantly, by the FCC. I'm sure some people who do consider them as such work on the shows and just giggle like mad at getting away with it.
In America they aren't. Ashy's pointing out that those are considered pretty big swear words on the other side of the pond, and it's just funny that Americans are appropriating this slang without realizing what it is they're really saying.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:19 pm

In their defense... Just like Japan, they are producing a product for their own country. If another country liscenses it, so be it. But they're looking out for number one. Can't fault 'em for it anymore than you can Japan for Popo.

Ashy-kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashy-kun » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:22 pm

NeoKING wrote:You really never know with 4Kids. One second they're censoring the crap outta OP, the next they go WAY past the radar. See Ultimate Muscle.("Kinniku Man" in Japan.) Here's a little quip from episode one of the dub:

"Out of the whole galaxy, your dad was the strongest, most brutal, meanest son of a bi-"

'OKAY I GET IT."

And another episode had this:

"Roxanne, bring your two friends and we can have a foursome.... of miniature golf!"
Similarly, they do have one line I remember. "Stretching like a G-string... On a guitar." And just because I'm a nitpicky little sod, Ultimate Muscle is actually Kinnikuman Nisei (Muscle Man the Second). Kinnikuman is essentially the DragonBall to Kinnikuman Nisei's DragonBall Z.
Your freelance, amateur translator, with over a year's worth of self-taught experience. Once an honorary member of Team Kinniku, and a man with his work shown in various places here and there. If you have a song you'd like me to look over, I'll happily look it over and see if I can translate it for you.

Most Recent Song Added to Ashy-kun's Song Translation Topic: Yoake no Kodomo-tachi (Translated: The Children of the Dawn)

UristtheGreat
Beyond Newbie

Post by UristtheGreat » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:29 pm

I'm not sure why they cut out Freeza holding up Vegeta and punching him in the back. It's not like he was strangling him or even punching him that hard. It looked like he was barely hitting him.
LeprikanGT wrote:...I LOVE that we are getting the Dragonboxes, but the JP ones are HUGE ones are noticably taller and the dicks dont overlap.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:31 pm

UristtheGreat wrote:I'm not sure why they cut out Freeza holding up Vegeta and punching him in the back. It's not like he was strangling him or even punching him that hard. It looked like he was barely hitting him.
Haha, the poor guy was coughing up blood.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

UristtheGreat
Beyond Newbie

Post by UristtheGreat » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:18 pm

Big Momma wrote:
UristtheGreat wrote:I'm not sure why they cut out Freeza holding up Vegeta and punching him in the back. It's not like he was strangling him or even punching him that hard. It looked like he was barely hitting him.
They could cut out the blood.
LeprikanGT wrote:...I LOVE that we are getting the Dragonboxes, but the JP ones are HUGE ones are noticably taller and the dicks dont overlap.

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:08 pm

UristtheGreat wrote:
Big Momma wrote:
They could cut out the blood.
Well, if he was coughing up blood, I'd say Frieza was hitting him pretty hard.

Zionist
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zionist » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:10 pm

Hmm, Makankosappo slip up in a flash back.....Bardock's scar slip up in a Flash back....I see a pattern here. Any more Flash backs we should expect to see in Kai?
Rocketman wrote:Who gives a shit about a Broly fan's feelings.
Zoms wrote:That moment when you relate your ship to glass tubes...

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:26 am

Gaffer Tape wrote: In America they aren't. Ashy's pointing out that those are considered pretty big swear words on the other side of the pond.
Yep. In fact, an Australian tourism campaign was banned in the UK for using the word "bloody".

Ashy-kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashy-kun » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:54 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote: In America they aren't. Ashy's pointing out that those are considered pretty big swear words on the other side of the pond.
Yep. In fact, an Australian tourism campaign was banned in the UK for using the word "bloody".
Yep, in fact, despite how minor they are, you don't see any use of the word "bloody" or the use of the word "Hell" (in the sense of "What the hell?") on anything before the watershed.

Meanwhile, in regards to the flashbacks going back on edits... Does anyone think they're doing a One Piece here, and only allowing the edited stuff to happen in a flashback? (Ha-ha, good ol' One Piece lore of "No-one dies except in a flashback." ... Even if it may not be true... *shifty look* Who's to say, without being spoiler-ific, which I daren't...)
Your freelance, amateur translator, with over a year's worth of self-taught experience. Once an honorary member of Team Kinniku, and a man with his work shown in various places here and there. If you have a song you'd like me to look over, I'll happily look it over and see if I can translate it for you.

Most Recent Song Added to Ashy-kun's Song Translation Topic: Yoake no Kodomo-tachi (Translated: The Children of the Dawn)

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:27 pm

Hey, yea, I know I said I was done. But how about we say, I stopped doing these so rapidly :D. Sure, I did this episode now, but don't expect another one so soon. I might not do another one for weeks or even months (OK, it'll probably be weeks). So just carry on your conversations about whatever it is you're currently talking about, and every now and then I'll pop in with a comparison.

Before, I would do one episode in a day, or if it didn't have a lot of edits, two episodes a day. I did this episode, episode 18, within the course of about 3 days. I would just come back to it whenever I wanted, continued watching where I left off last time and just do it casually. Keep in mind this episode has very little edits and it took about 3 days. I'm sure the later, more violent episodes I do might take weeks if I continue to do it like this. What once felt like work, is now a hobby.

The Ship Resting in Yunzabit! Time to Blast Off For Planet Namek!

As the episode starts, we see our heroes in the hospital. Mostly every shot of Goku in this episode has been edited to cover up some blood.

The next edit comes after everyone is talking about how well they fought. After Krillin makes fun of Yajirobe, Ox King chimes in and says...

Then nothing is edited for a while. The next edit comes in the second half of the episode. When Bulma and Krillin are talking about going to Namek, Gohan says he wants to go, he mentions...

Chi-Chi, not happy with this, dismisses it and yells at Gohan about all the school work he's going to miss. Gohan yells out...

Then goes into this speech about why he has to go...

There were no edits after that. So, that's it for this episode. :D
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: DragonBall Z Kai Cable TV Version (NickToons) Edits! *Ep 18*

Post by PuppetDoctor » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:40 pm

Nice to see you are doing more of the edit comparisons again. Welcome back Tanooki Kuribo and take your time doing the edits (as you plan to do).

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:57 pm

I've always found these comparisons fun and interesting. Take your time with them, though. You're under no rush, so just get to the next episode in three years if that's comfortable for ya. And thanks again for doing them!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Thanks for returning, Tanooki!! I can hardly imagine having to do this myself. I'd suggest trying to get an entire set's worth of episodes done before the next comes out, though. You'd at least have a three months break (well, unless you did the Toonzai version for giggles).
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:04 pm

Glad to see you doing these again. I know we all appreciate them.

Funny they'd censor Gohan's "Shut up!" Dawh, look at Gohan, setting a bad example. Can't have children talking back to their parents like that. :lol:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2