DragonBall Z Kai - Cable TV Version (NickToons)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - Cable TV Version (NickToons)

Post by Ashura » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:37 am

That's pretty old hat. It's okay to do something weird like that, or even dangerous, so long as it's not feasibly imitable for a kid to replicate the dangerous act. This is their reasoning in the Toonzai edit, for instance, in the first scene with Raditz, the guy uses a laser instead of a gun. Because it's reasonable to figure a kid isn't going to be able to get a laser gun.

Now, we should live in a world where kids can't get their hands on guns very easily either, but if that were to happen then Toonzai figures they might be in some tough shit, which is why as silly as the edit is, that's why they did it. Over on Nicktoons, their BS&P, the people calling the shots, and the legal team, didn't see this particular scene the same way and weren't worried so they didn't edit it.

But diamonds to donuts, if someone complained, or someone higher up in the company got a bug up their butt, they would change it right away. Like I said, it's all on the whims of people in charge.

Zim had a weird inception and production, as you bring up that show. They initially wanted it to skew older and then had a lot of production problems when the show came out and the regime had changed. The show aired randomly, and then further a lot of episodes aired once or maybe not at all (until it was picked back up by Nicktoons.) Most people saw it by downloading avis from the internet at the time, because it aired so strangely; in fact, there were weird things like people capping them from other countries just so you could see the later episodes.

I remember, actually, way before the DVDs were ever a thought at Media Blasters, that I didn't get to see the Christmas special until Rikki Simons brought a copy with him to a Katsucon I attended where we got snowed into the hotel for 2 or 3 days. They had a showing in the hotel and all the people who were stuck there got to see it and a bunch of other unreleased episodes.

The aired version was edited further than what we saw, too, making Zim less Roddy-Piper sounding when he's grunting as Santa Claus and clipping another scene or two. (MB released the uncut version on the bonus disk, though, awesomely.)
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

gokufss

Post by gokufss » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:18 pm

Two much!!!

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:12 pm

I was looking at Tanooki's Nicktoons/uncut comparisons and in episode 43 uncut, Bulma says "I'm going to die again." "Again"? WTF?

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:52 pm

Codarik wrote:I was looking at Tanooki's Nicktoons/uncut comparisons and in episode 43 uncut, Bulma says "I'm going to die again." "Again"? WTF?
It's just her saying that her life is at risk again, not that she's died once before.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:21 am

Well Kenji Yammamoto's score is gone from Kai... probably old new by now
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:13 am

Attitudefan wrote:Well Kenji Yammamoto's score is gone from Kai... probably old new by now
Nicktoons switched to Kikuchi now?
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:55 am

Not that I'm aware of. Hey, it's totally possible though, Toonzai already switched over. Can anyone confirm this? :D

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:12 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Not that I'm aware of. Hey, it's totally possible though, Toonzai already switched over. Can anyone confirm this? :D
Last time I saw Kai on Nicktoons was this past Sunday when they repeated episode 41, and it was still Yamamoto, so if they switched it would have been yesterday.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:08 pm

Yea, come to think of it, they aren't going to switch the music in the episodes that already aired. They'll wait until the new episodes start like they did on Toonzai. So, out of curiosity now, would anyone happen to know when they plan on airing new episodes?

Side note: DB_Fan1991, I see your avatar has a bit of the credits right smack in the middle of it. If you want, here are two versions from the same shot without the words on it. Don't feel obligated to use it just because I made it, but if you want them they're there... :D

Image Image

The second one is smaller then the usual 80X80 because I tried to fit more of the image in the picture.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:42 pm

Thanks Tanooki, I did find it distracting to have the credits in the middle. That's my favorite shot of 2nd form Freeza.

Choice195
Banned

Post by Choice195 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:51 pm

Tanooki I hope you don't mind me asking if you could make me an avatar for the fact that I'm not good with photo editing, So if it's alright, Would you mind making this picture an avatar :) Image

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:16 pm

Sure, sure...

Image Image

Choice195
Banned

Post by Choice195 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:36 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Sure, sure...

Image Image
Thanks. :D

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:03 pm

I hate to be a mod whore but there's an avatar making thread in the fan section of the forum. J'sayin.
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetalMadness » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:33 pm

So when are we going to see any new episodes? :| I was really looking forward to hearing Android 17 and 18.

Also, has Part 5 been confirmed to have Kikuchi's score or Yamamato's score?

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:16 am

Why does the Nicktoons site have every single episode from 54 to present (63) but for SOME UNKNOWN REASON, it skips 57? what is wrong with episode 57?!
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:00 pm

DemonRin wrote:Why does the Nicktoons site have every single episode from 54 to present (63) but for SOME UNKNOWN REASON, it skips 57? what is wrong with episode 57?!
Might be just a home-release only episode.
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:11 pm

They changed the song when Frieza got sliced in episode 56 to a differnet track. Wasn't that one of the copyrighted tracks? (The one that sounded like the Avatar Battle Theme)
GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:28 pm

SRB2Unleashed wrote:They changed the song when Freeza got sliced in episode 56 to a differnet track. Wasn't that one of the copyrighted tracks? (The one that sounded like the Avatar Battle Theme)
Really? So, the BGM scandal is finally affecting Nicktoons...
So mondo lame.

KuriboShoe

Post by KuriboShoe » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:29 pm

Budogenkai wrote:
DemonRin wrote:Why does the Nicktoons site have every single episode from 54 to present (63) but for SOME UNKNOWN REASON, it skips 57? what is wrong with episode 57?!
Might be just a home-release only episode.
It's not, I've seen it.
"HI GIRLS!" - Twilght Sparkle
I don't like the fanfic "Cupcakes"
"Silly Vegeta, It's not Halloween, It's Christmas!" - TFS Goku