Future Kai DUB Re-casts speculation

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Future Kai DUB Re-casts speculation

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:05 pm

For awhile we assumed that the overall good dub of Kai would still be "cursed" with many little blemishes, many minor, some major. In fact someone on this board once had a theory that many of the old Funi dub conventions would remain in order to be consistent with there dubs for DB and GT. Which made sense...until...FREEZA, I assume his new voice will be nothing like Linda Youngs. So this would be an inconsistency with GT...so could this also mean if a future release of a GT dragon box was put out, I'd feature a re-dubbed Freeza? Not that I care about GT but that would be cool.

This just makes me all the more annoyed about attack names and Goku's lack of bad grammar etc, in the Kai dub, why not go all the way with the major changes? Ahwell, back on topic, which is about the voices themselves. What voices would you guys personally like recast for future roles? I'll get the ball rolling with ones I can think of off the top of my head:

Number 16: Recast please, his gentle nature was never conveyed with that annoying nasal robot voice he had in the DBZ dub.

Fat Buu: Dear Dende, PLEASE, recast him with a voice that is actually charming and jolly, no more crack baby PLEASE!

I'll also throw in voices I wouldn't mind being kept and even *GASP* like more than the original Japanese:

Babidi: great cackling voice for that little annoying wizard! In Japanese he just sounds like Kaio-sama on Prozac or something.

I also prefer Yajirobe, but we already know he's being kept so I'm cool with that.

Who would you like to see with a whole new voice?
Last edited by MR.Mark on Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

penguintruth
Banned

Re: Future Kai Re-casts speculation

Post by penguintruth » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:27 pm

The Freeza recasting was a great idea, and I hope we get more recasts for the Freeza arc.

Most of the later DBZ English voices were actually pretty well cast, though their acting wasn't top-notch. I don't see any reason to recast too many roles after the Freeza arc. I probably wouldn't go with Justin Cook as the older Dende, though. Also, a new Android 16 might be called for, or at least a different direction as far as how his VA handles him.

I want to go on record as saying that I think Chuck Huber, Meredith McCoy, Chris Rager, and Kara Edwards were all fine in their roles, and should return.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Future Kai DUB Re-casts speculation

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:32 pm

I think Jeremy Inman can do a correct #16, so long as he isn't told to do that monotone schtick.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:55 pm

Even though it's partially confirmed. I'm still going to say the Ginyu Force needs recasting as having Sabat playing 3 of the 5 Ginyus is way too much.

Why is there so much hate for Josh Martin's Fat Buu? I think it fits the childish personality better than the Japanese voice did. The Japanese voice just doesn't fit right (though I can say the same for about 90% of the cast of the Japanese version as well). Though I don't think Martin works at FUNi anymore, so Buu may get a recast to my dismay.

If Raging Blast is anything to go by then 19 is getting a new voice, 16, 17, 18 & 20 (Dr. Gero) will likely be the same as last time.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:27 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:The English voice just doesn't fit right (though I can say the same for about 90% of the cast of the English version as well)
Fixed that for you.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:33 pm

penguintruth wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:The English voice just doesn't fit right (though I can say the same for about 90% of the cast of the English version as well)
Fixed that for you.
That's an opinion not a fact. I prefer the dub voices (Especially in Kai). The only 4 voices of the Japanese version that are decent are Ryusei Nakao, Ryo Horikawa, Mayumi Tanaka & Norio Wakamoto. Also please explain why you hate the English voices so much as you always say you hate the English voices, but never explain why.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:38 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:explain why you hate the English voices so much as you always say you hate the English voices, but never explain why.
I pretty much always explain why. I'm under no obligation to launch into a detailed treatise every time it's brought up.

Can I get a Schemen?

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:40 pm

penguintruth wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:explain why you hate the English voices so much as you always say you hate the English voices, but never explain why.
I pretty much always explain why. I'm under no obligation to launch into a detailed treatise every time it's brought up.
You don't have to. I just don't like the fact that when you say the Japanese version is better you say it as if it's a fact which it's not. It seems like you bash dub fans & even the cast for the fun of it.

MR.Mark

Re: Future Kai Re-casts speculation

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:29 pm

penguintruth wrote: Chris Rager.
(RANT TIME)

I'm glad you brought him up, as I'm always seeing people praise him for Mr Satan's English voice. My stance is, vocally, he is a great choice, however, his delivery of anything that isn't macho is soooooooooo not up to par with Daisuke Gouri.

Daisuke Gouri was able to sound charming, vulnerable , tough, and just plain lovable. Not to mention his comic timing, which was unparalleled. Just compare for instance the scene where Buu feeds Satan people candy, Gouri's delivery of "enjoying" the candy matched the hilarious facial expression perfectly. Where to me, Chris's Satan was just gruff all the time, no matter the situation. I really hope he ups his game BIG TIME for kai, and whoever is taking over Daisuke Gouri has huge shoes to fill too.
DB_Fan1991 wrote:Why is there so much hate for Josh Martin's Fat Buu? I think it fits the childish personality better than the Japanese voice did.
Much like certain issues with Chris's Satan, fat Buu's english voice is just not lovable or charming in the least, and that's just plain wrong for a character your supposed to sympathies with.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:36 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:Even though it's partially confirmed. I'm still going to say the Ginyu Force needs recasting as having Sabat playing 3 of the 5 Ginyus is way too much.

Why is there so much hate for Josh Martin's Fat Buu? I think it fits the childish personality better than the Japanese voice did. The Japanese voice just doesn't fit right (though I can say the same for about 90% of the cast of the Japanese version as well). Though I don't think Martin works at FUNi anymore, so Buu may get a recast to my dismay.
He was Yosaku on One Piece so he might still. Question though. I know how a lot of guys criticize his Fat Buu, what did you guys think of his Kid Buu?

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:46 pm

Super Sonic wrote:what did you guys think of his Kid Buu?
Better than his fat Buu, but still had problems, it lacked a demonic edge. It reminded me of fat Buu when he screamed, which is not a good thing, at all.

Cook's super Buu was OK, but it too lacked a demonic edge. How Ironic, a character comes along where "monstering" up the voice is appropriate and Funi downplays it. It certainly didn't help that they took off the filter on those orange bricks, making the voice sound even more plain. If Justin is reprising this role, which I'm sure he is, I hope he takes a new approach or they put a filter back on his voice to make him sound less "raditzy" and more threatening.

(More recasts suggestions)

Number 19: Now HERE'S a character you can give a nasally voice to, I certainly hope he doesn't sound like a broken toy again.
Last edited by MR.Mark on Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:51 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote: Why is there so much hate for Josh Martin's Fat Buu?
I don't know about everyone else, but I love his Fat Boo. It is leagues better than the Japanese voice and actually fits the character.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:55 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
I don't know about everyone else, but I love his Fat Boo. It is leagues better than the Japanese voice and actually fits the character.
Agreed. I hated Fat Buu's JP voice.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:56 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote: It is leagues better than the Japanese voice and actually fits the character.
So fat Buu was meant to be a character you couldn't stand to be around? I can't picture Mr Satan feeling sorry and becoming buddies with that thing in DEEBEEZEE. Where the real Buu, I can picture hanging out with Satan and actually being able to carry a half way decent coherent conversation.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:03 pm

Dabra will almost certainly be getting a recast. The guy who played him in the first dub hasn't done anything since the Buu arc, according to ANN.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:15 pm

B wrote:Dabra will almost certainly be getting a recast. The guy who played him in the first dub hasn't done anything since the Buu arc, according to ANN.
That's a shame, he was very pleasing on the ears, though I can't remember how solid the actual acting was.

17 and 18 I'm more than fine with, they should really shine with the improved script. Gero is fine too, though I personally wouldn't mind a voice that sounded more old and labored.

ZeroMoon

Post by ZeroMoon » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:20 pm

PLEASE change Recoome.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:27 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Agreed. I hated Fat Buu's JP voice.
Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one who prefers Josh Martin's Fat Buu. It is likely that Dabura is getting a new voice as has been said. 19 will as well if Raging Blast is anything to go by. I have no doubt that Rager will still be voicing Mr. Satan. I hope Recoome gets a new voice as well.
Last edited by DB_Fan1991 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:28 pm

ZeroMoon wrote:PLEASE change Recoome.
"herp pa derp, wadya mean chan tha voice? HUR HUR!"

I think we may be in the clear with the Ginyu all having new voices, at least I hope so.

ZeroMoon

Post by ZeroMoon » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:30 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
ZeroMoon wrote:PLEASE change Recoome.
"herp pa derp, wadya mean chan tha voice? HUR HUR!"

I think we may be in the clear with the Ginyu all having new voices, at least I hope so.
Keep Jeice! :P