New Freeza Talkback

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: New Freeza Talkback

Post by penguintruth » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:07 pm

MugiMikey wrote:Oh my God, I was the first one to guess his new voice actor correctly on FUNi's Twitter contest. I can't believe I just won the DBZ Kai DVD.

I'm so happy, I could squirt.
Congratulations!

(I tried, at least... I knew the answer, after all...)
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6337
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: New Freeza Talkback

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:10 pm

Coola Yagami wrote:Still don't like it... See Sabat for example was doing a good job with Piccolo cause he got used to the voice by now and was able to talk in a casual tone when needed and was also sticking to the script.

If they had kept Linda to also not be so over the top, lose the rasp, and stick to the script, she also woulda been awesome. I still didn't like her voice, but if we're goin for a damned sound-alike, then they shoulda just kept her.

I think this is very unfair to Linda because now ppl will be giving props to a better Bulma/Gohan and a more bad-ass Vegeta/Piccolo cause they're doing better acting and sticking to the script, while Linda Young will forever be remembered as the lame overly-flamey granny-Freeza because she was never given the chance to do the superior Kai-dub.
I agree with this statement so much. Watching the Namek village invasion in the Funi dub, I really think Linda could've pulled off an awesome Frieza voice with better direction. Oh well. Now we're stuck with a crappy Newstone imitation.
Last edited by jjgp1112 on Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5907
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: New Freeza Talkback

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:10 pm

I have to say I'm getting annoyed at the "dubbies" making fun of the "subbies" right now over the voice and making claims that "subbies" were doing the same thing leading up to this. As far as I could see, people just wanted Freeza to actually sound like Freeza. I don't recall anyone going, "Haha, dubbies. You're getting what you deserve for having dared to like Linda Young's voice!" which is exactly the attitude you're copping now, so please cut it the hell out! It's annoying and childish.

Ahem... sorry. I just don't see any need for anyone to have an attitude over this, so please don't make up things to fight about.

Anyway, I'm left scratching my head. If someone hadn't told me what I was watching, I would have assumed this WAS the Ocean cast with Kai music placed over it (it doesn't help that Doc Morgan sounded just like Doc Harris in that scene). It sounds JUST LIKE Pauline Newstone! So... why did they replace Linda Young again? Granted, it's a slight improvement as I thought that Young was just an imitation of Newstone anyway. Neither were good, but neither pissed me off. So the fact that this new voice sounds like the "original" instead of an imitation of the "original" is the slightest bit of improvement. But why bother? If they were just going to go in the exact same direction (which, judging by this one sparse line, is exactly what they're going to do), why oust Linda Young at all? Might as well have kept her. It doesn't make any difference.

Again, it's the typical FUNimation attitude towards Kai: this tiptoe-ing around everything, like when they make two totally different versions because they're so paranoid they're going to alienate their audience that's going to eat it up and buy everything no matter what they do anyway. Only in this case, it makes even less sense. If they were going to go in a new direction with Freeza, fine. If they weren't, fine. Instead, they changed the voice... but made it sound just like the same old thing, reaching a compromise that accomplishes absolutely nothing in any direction. It just makes no sense!

Oh, and if they do decide to start playing around when they get to the different forms, it has the potential to be nice, but it's still more of the same. "Ohhhh, we want to make it sound more like the original, but we kinda don't, so we'll just make this version sound like the old one and this one sound like the original because we're too scared to actually grow a pair and make a commitment in any one direction."

Honestly, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there was an entirely different voice on the home release, which would make even less sense given Newstone 2.0 on TV but still fit in line with the rest of their decisions on this show thus far.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 7/6/20!)
Current Episode: Overloading on Gods - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 6!

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:35 am

Re: New Freeza Talkback

Post by Coola Yagami » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:11 pm

I still don't understand why Linda left. Like... what? Did the new script use too many big words for her? Were the new phrases hard for her to mach with the lip-flaps? Was she too old to keep up? I dun get it.

User avatar
MR.Mark
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1709
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:11 am

Re: New Freeza Talkback

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:12 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:...Um NO? It's not because she sucked, just in character she couldn't keep up with the script as well as someone else could...and they went a found that someone else.
Nope she sucked.

User avatar
Kirbopher
Regular
Posts: 670
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:10 am
Location: TOME
Contact:

Re: New Freeza Talkback

Post by Kirbopher » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:13 pm

She didn't leave, she was replaced.

Also apparently John Swasey is Dodoria now and Kui is still Bill Townsley.

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6337
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: New Freeza Talkback

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:14 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
LeprikanGT wrote:...Um NO? It's not because she sucked, just in character she couldn't keep up with the script as well as someone else could...and they went a found that someone else.
Nope she sucked.
Um...that's exactly what Christopher Sabat said, Mark.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

User avatar
Gozar
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1171
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:18 am
Location: The Future
Contact:

Re: New Freeza Talkback

Post by Gozar » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:16 pm

Kirbopher wrote:She didn't leave, she was replaced.

Also apparently John Swasey is Dodoria now and Kui is still Bill Townsley.
Hmmm. So no Forbis OR McFarland? Oh well. I'm open to hear this new voice.

But it was weird about Kui. It didn't sound anything like Townsley's previous performance as Kui.
A journey that began long ago, in a bottle neither glass nor plastic. A story of an Otaku, passed down through the ages. Until now. This is my story. This is my nerdom.

OTAKU IN A BOTTLE -- Newest Entry: 3 Theories to Fix "Resurrection F"

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6115
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: New Freeza Talkback

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:17 pm

Gozar wrote:It didn't sound anything like Townsley's previous performance as Kui.
Yeah, it wasn't nearly as raspy or gruff. It sounded smoother and higher pitched. I thought it was a different actor until I read the credits.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
UristtheGreat
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:08 pm

Re: New Freeza Talkback

Post by UristtheGreat » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:17 pm

This makes their Kai dub feel so half-assed. They're putting familiarity in front of everything else that matters.
LeprikanGT wrote:...I LOVE that we are getting the Dragonboxes, but the JP ones are HUGE ones are noticably taller and the dicks dont overlap.

User avatar
SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1457
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:14 pm
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Re: New Freeza Talkback

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:18 pm

Even though it was only a line or two, I can't say I love the voice just yet.

And Sean was right in saying he's creepy. :shock:
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

User avatar
MR.Mark
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1709
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:11 am

Re: New Freeza Talkback

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:18 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:
LeprikanGT wrote:...Um NO? It's not because she sucked, just in character she couldn't keep up with the script as well as someone else could...and they went a found that someone else.
Nope she sucked.
Um...that's exactly what Christopher Sabat said, Mark.
Indeed, the polite way of saying she sucked, just like the recasting of Gohan and Bulma.
Last edited by MR.Mark on Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gregorthegame
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: Philly, PA
Contact:

Re: New Freeza Talkback

Post by gregorthegame » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:19 pm

Gozar wrote:
gregorthegame wrote:Linda? Nah...It doesn't sound like her at all really.. I don't think anyways. And.. Well yeah all 3 VA's are different people, so no one voice will be EXACTLY the same. But if ya don't like it... don't watch it. I just have a feeling you WILL watch more, even though you're complaining about it right now. People prefer different things, of course.. however, I just don't see how someone can really judge something like this so quickly.
Of course I'm still going to watch. I love DragonBall and I love the core Dub cast. A Freeza voice that I don't like isn't going to shy me away from the Dub. But that doesn't mean I have to like it.
Okay, you don't like it. That's fine.. couldn't you have just said that, though?
Instead of calling it a "fucking joke?" His acting can be great and he'll never be Freeza to you?? Why watch it then? lol
No matter what you're not going to please everybody.. People prefer different things.. Just don't throw the dude under the bus, man.
PS3 ID: GregorTheGame

User avatar
LeprikanGT
I Live Here
Posts: 3398
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:58 pm
Location: Namek
Contact:

Re: New Freeza Talkback

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:19 pm

I was lost on Cui too, having just finishing the Dbox up to that point....kai Cui sounded a bit different, but I still like him.

Thumbs up for Frieza as well.

User avatar
Kirbopher
Regular
Posts: 670
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:10 am
Location: TOME
Contact:

Re: New Freeza Talkback

Post by Kirbopher » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:20 pm

I guess thinking back now, McFarland's voice for Dodoria would've sounded very Yaijirobe-like. He wasn't in Raging Blast, so voice-matching Forbis for that game didn't cause any confusion. Zarbon's new guy will be on Monday.

User avatar
Rad Raddish
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:07 pm
Location: Ka
Contact:

Re: New Freeza Talkback

Post by Rad Raddish » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:21 pm

Any confirmation on him being Australian?
"Ah ha ha ha! Ah, excuse me, has anyone seen my arm? Ha ha ha ha! You can't miss it, it's green."
-Raditz

User avatar
LeprikanGT
I Live Here
Posts: 3398
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:58 pm
Location: Namek
Contact:

Re: New Freeza Talkback

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:23 pm

Jeice?

They said all of the Ginyu Force Voices were changed, yesh? I'm going to miss Aussie Jeice.

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6115
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: New Freeza Talkback

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:23 pm

Kirbopher wrote:Zarbon's new guy will be on Monday.
Ah, so Zarbon does have a new voice! :o

I wonder what they will call the Great Elder Namek/Guru, and if Sabat will still be voicing him and half the Ginyu force. I really hope he's either not Recoome, or drops the mentally handicapped approach with him.
Any confirmation on him being Australian?
Sabat's Zarbon was never Australian.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
LeprikanGT
I Live Here
Posts: 3398
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:58 pm
Location: Namek
Contact:

Re: New Freeza Talkback

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:25 pm

Oh snap, I forgot all about Recoome, I sooo want him to sound the same, it was so much more fun watchin his ass get handed to him that way.

User avatar
KaiserNeko
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1953
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: Dallas, TX United States

Re: New Freeza Talkback

Post by KaiserNeko » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:26 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:Oh snap, I forgot all about Recoome, I sooo want him to sound the same, it was so much more fun watchin his ass get handed to him that way.
Um... please no.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Post Reply