Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2728
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:02 pm

I wonder who they casted for Shenron. Did Don Brown return or did they get the Blue Water guy back?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:03 pm
Location: Kilmarnock, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by SX10 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:14 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I wonder who they casted for Shenron. Did Don Brown return or did they get the Blue Water guy back?
So hope it is Don Brown.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

User avatar
Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here
Posts: 2285
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:26 pm
Location: Hail

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:36 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I guess it's because there was another English dub of Kai available.
And the FUNimation dub grew to become the 'definitive' dub within the English market while the Ocean Dub is kept as a nostalgic memory in Canada, US, UK, Australia and in Scandinavian countries. Unfortunately, the Ocean Dub dropped the ball with its quality inconsistencies and they never had the chance to dub the Freeza arc though we did at least hear what Freeza would have sounded like.
Funimation's dub being "the standard" was already a thing long before Kai was put into production. Why would Toei pay for a 98-episode dub of the series to just sit on it?
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by SuperCyan2 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:32 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Funimation's dub being "the standard" was already a thing long before Kai was put into production. Why would Toei pay for a 98-episode dub of the series to just sit on it?
To have another English dub version of Kai? Not sure why that would matter to a Japanese company and that's not probably it.

Also, I'm glad they made their own Kai soundtrack because with the original Kai score being eliminated that's really the best way to fix this wound, the Kikuchi replacement score was just terrible and bloody repetitive (I love Kikuchi's music but god damn do I hate what they did on Kai 1.0).
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 4095
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:37 am

SX10 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I wonder who they casted for Shenron. Did Don Brown return or did they get the Blue Water guy back?
So hope it is Don Brown.
Honestly, I'd quite like to hear the Blue Water dragon voice back; always really liked him.

Still, either voice would be good. :)
Hell, a new voice could be fun too.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by SuperCyan2 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:53 am

So after the Ocean Dub Kai, can we also expect a Ocean Dub Super? :)
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

User avatar
TheGreatness25
I Live Here
Posts: 4362
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:23 am

SuperCyan2 wrote:So after the Ocean Dub Kai, can we also expect a Ocean Dub Super? :)
Ohh yeah! ... ... ... In 2032. But in all seriousness, I just want another version of the series and don't need it to be accurate at all. I don't care how they treat the series because at this point, it's a novelty anyway. I just wish they'd come out already. I want to hear Drummond's speech as dying Vegeta on Namek. Hell, there are tons of things I want to hear. It's such a curiosity -- what will the attack names be, what will they call some of the characters, what dialog will they change? I'm excited.

User avatar
thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 375
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:51 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by thomas1up » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:29 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:
SuperCyan2 wrote:So after the Ocean Dub Kai, can we also expect a Ocean Dub Super? :)
Ohh yeah! ... ... ... In 2032. But in all seriousness, I just want another version of the series and don't need it to be accurate at all. I don't care how they treat the series because at this point, it's a novelty anyway. I just wish they'd come out already. I want to hear Drummond's speech as dying Vegeta on Namek. Hell, there are tons of things I want to hear. It's such a curiosity -- what will the attack names be, what will they call some of the characters, what dialog will they change? I'm excited.
Judging by the fact that whoever was producing this dub appears to be going for a faithful approach to the series, I wouldn't be surprised if they done away with various funimation dubbisms. I don't mind Don Brown as Kaio (much better than Schemmel's Kaio) but I would love to hear a more accurate approach this time round.
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by SuperCyan2 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:00 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Ohh yeah! ... ... ... In 2032. But in all seriousness, I just want another version of the series and don't need it to be accurate at all. I don't care how they treat the series because at this point, it's a novelty anyway. I just wish they'd come out already. I want to hear Drummond's speech as dying Vegeta on Namek. Hell, there are tons of things I want to hear. It's such a curiosity -- what will the attack names be, what will they call some of the characters, what dialog will they change? I'm excited.
I'd love if they ditched the whole Say-un and pronounced Saiyan properly. Unlikely but who knows. :) People do know how to correctly say 'Saiyan' but have gotten used to the FUNimation way.

Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAf0hjddT1A
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

User avatar
thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 375
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:51 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by thomas1up » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:13 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:Ohh yeah! ... ... ... In 2032. But in all seriousness, I just want another version of the series and don't need it to be accurate at all. I don't care how they treat the series because at this point, it's a novelty anyway. I just wish they'd come out already. I want to hear Drummond's speech as dying Vegeta on Namek. Hell, there are tons of things I want to hear. It's such a curiosity -- what will the attack names be, what will they call some of the characters, what dialog will they change? I'm excited.
I'd love if they ditched the whole Say-un and pronounced Saiyan properly. Unlikely but who knows. :) People do know how to correctly say 'Saiyan' but have gotten used to the FUNimation way.

Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAf0hjddT1A
Well, they changed the way they pronounce 'Namek' so the other pronunciation of Saiyan could be possible. Wouldn't be the first time Ocean pronounced things right before FUNi :lol: (Kaio-ken and Kamehameha)
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

User avatar
SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:03 pm
Location: Kilmarnock, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by SX10 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:32 pm

If they corrected Saiyan that would be so amazing. Though that said, it's stuck in so many people's minds that it may not change for lazy reasons. Scott McNeil seemed pretty frustrated by it all when he brought it up during a panel he was on, so hopefully his misguided frustration is brought on by a correct pronunciation of all the words.

From snippets I've heard from Brian Drummond con videos he certainly seems to be saying Goku & Gohan properly.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2728
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:45 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:So after the Ocean Dub Kai, can we also expect a Ocean Dub Super? :)
Personally I wouldn't mind if Ocean didn't dub Super. I think a great dub of the first 98 episodes of Kai is enough for me and to convince some close-minded people that Ocean have talent.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by SuperCyan2 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:53 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
SuperCyan2 wrote:So after the Ocean Dub Kai, can we also expect a Ocean Dub Super? :)
Personally I wouldn't mind if Ocean didn't dub Super. I think a great dub of the first 98 episodes of Kai is enough for me and to convince some close-minded people that Ocean have talent.
Ocean Dub would make Super watchable for me and more Ocean Dub is always a good thing. :)

A redub of DBZ would be great but instead of that we're more likely to get the Kai Boo arc.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

User avatar
TheGreatness25
I Live Here
Posts: 4362
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:21 pm

thomas1up wrote:[spoiler]
TheGreatness25 wrote:
SuperCyan2 wrote:So after the Ocean Dub Kai, can we also expect a Ocean Dub Super? :)
Ohh yeah! ... ... ... In 2032. But in all seriousness, I just want another version of the series and don't need it to be accurate at all. I don't care how they treat the series because at this point, it's a novelty anyway. I just wish they'd come out already. I want to hear Drummond's speech as dying Vegeta on Namek. Hell, there are tons of things I want to hear. It's such a curiosity -- what will the attack names be, what will they call some of the characters, what dialog will they change? I'm excited.
[/spoiler]

Judging by the fact that whoever was producing this dub appears to be going for a faithful approach to the series, I wouldn't be surprised if they done away with various funimation dubbisms. I don't mind Don Brown as Kaio (much better than Schemmel's Kaio) but I would love to hear a more accurate approach this time round.
And yet, apparently the theme song isn't even preserved. The thing is that I know a lot of people want accuracy. Funimation gave us that. I have the original Z, I feel like Kai is something to have a lot of fun with. I don't want it to be just another alternate dub to Funimation, I'd rather it be its own thing. I know I'm probably way in the minority, but I always felt like if it's so faithful and whatnot, what's really the motivation to watch it? I don't know, I'm weird lol

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 4095
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:56 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:And yet, apparently the theme song isn't even preserved. The thing is that I know a lot of people want accuracy. Funimation gave us that. I have the original Z, I feel like Kai is something to have a lot of fun with. I don't want it to be just another alternate dub to Funimation, I'd rather it be its own thing. I know I'm probably way in the minority, but I always felt like if it's so faithful and whatnot, what's really the motivation to watch it? I don't know, I'm weird lol
Well, the point here is that we're getting an alternate score option, so we don't have to tolerate the plagiarised Yamamoto, or haphazardly-used Kikuchi scores, and the actors will all be doing different takes on the characters.

The fact it's faithful isn't a minus, it's a plus; it means we're still watching Dragon Ball Kai, we're not watching an Americanised, unrecogniseable shell of what Dragon Ball was perceived as in the '90s.

But, this will still be a fundamentally different take than Funimation's; the actors will all be rather different, the style of the dialogue will almost certainly be totally different, and the music will give it a different feel.

That's my view on this, anyway.
SuperCyan2 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
SuperCyan2 wrote:So after the Ocean Dub Kai, can we also expect a Ocean Dub Super? :)
Personally I wouldn't mind if Ocean didn't dub Super. I think a great dub of the first 98 episodes of Kai is enough for me and to convince some close-minded people that Ocean have talent.
Ocean Dub would make Super watchable for me and more Ocean Dub is always a good thing. :)

A redub of DBZ would be great but instead of that we're more likely to get the Kai Boo arc.
A Super Ocean dub would be nice, and would likely be the only way I'd ever watch any of Super again(Aside from a few select filler episodes, such as baseball).
But, for me, Boo Kai is the #1 priority. I want to watch through all of Ocean Kai, then get a Boo Kai Ocean dub. Super would be nice, but having the full Dragon Ball Z story with the Ocean cast on the top of their game in a faithful dub with music that isn't patchy/plagiarised/weird disco would be excellent.
SX10 wrote:If they corrected Saiyan that would be so amazing. Though that said, it's stuck in so many people's minds that it may not change for lazy reasons. Scott McNeil seemed pretty frustrated by it all when he brought it up during a panel he was on, so hopefully his misguided frustration is brought on by a correct pronunciation of all the words.

From snippets I've heard from Brian Drummond con videos he certainly seems to be saying Goku & Gohan properly.
Yeah, I have noticed he's been correctly putting the emphasis on the second syllable of Goku. I really hope they use the Son family name in this dub; that'd be awesome.
I like that they're changing the Namek pronunciation. It's not a big deal for me, but it's a nice little thing. If they do Saiyan correctly too, that'd be nice too.

The ones I'd really like to see this dub do are: Shen Long, Freeza, Jheese, Butta, Ghurd, and if they do Kai TFC -- Boo.
I'd be fine with them keeping Shenron, Burter, Guldo... Hell, even Jeice. Boo/Buu and Frieza/Freeza have always bugged me though, and if they changed those, I will be incredibly happy.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2728
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:36 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Yeah, I have noticed he's been correctly putting the emphasis on the second syllable of Goku. I really hope they use the Son family name in this dub; that'd be awesome.
I like that they're changing the Namek pronunciation. It's not a big deal for me, but it's a nice little thing. If they do Saiyan correctly too, that'd be nice too.

The ones I'd really like to see this dub do are: Shen Long, Freeza, Jheese, Butta, Ghurd, and if they do Kai TFC -- Boo.
I'd be fine with them keeping Shenron, Burter, Guldo... Hell, even Jeice. Boo/Buu and Frieza/Freeza have always bugged me though, and if they changed those, I will be incredibly happy.
Goku referred to himself as Son Goku once in the Funi Kai dub.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 4095
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:57 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Goku referred to himself as Son Goku once in the Funi Kai dub.
Yes. Once. And that's the only time the Son family name has been acknolwedged in the Funi dub; they go out of their way to avoid it most of the time. IIRC, they put a weird thing like "Are you sir Goku?" in Battle Of Gods at one point, when "Son Goku" would have just made infinitely more sense...

Actually calling him Son Goku would be just grand. And Son Gohan too.

Still, I must admit, big props go to Schemmel for pushing for the "I am Son Goku" line in the Kai dub.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2728
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:46 am

Robo4900 wrote:
SX10 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I wonder who they casted for Shenron. Did Don Brown return or did they get the Blue Water guy back?
So hope it is Don Brown.
Honestly, I'd quite like to hear the Blue Water dragon voice back; always really liked him.

Still, either voice would be good. :)
Hell, a new voice could be fun too.
How about Paul Dobson for Shenron?
http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/tv- ... abberwock/
Mewzard wrote:And yes, I think both voice actors can do fine jobs. But those voices still have too much of those early dub traits that stand out to my ears when I do hear the later material. To be honest, they should do what Sabat did, tone them back a bit towards their natural voices. Not all the way, but closer, to give a more natural sound. Because those voices don't sound natural in the least.Sabat's Piccolo sounds much closer to his speaking voice now, and at least Vegeta's much closer to natural. I think they can do it, I just don't know if they will.
And there are voices in the Japanese version that don't sound natural. :wink:

I know that you're not really that curious about this dub but if you're interested, Drummond has deepened his voice for this dub and McNeil sounds slightly different, so maybe this time around you'll like them.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 4095
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:42 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:How about Paul Dobson for Shenron?
http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/tv- ... abberwock/
Yeah, sure, maybe. I think that Paul Dobson voice there lacks the texture Don Brown and Dave Pettitt brought to the voice Shenron, though. Maybe he'd improve that if he got the role, though I think they'll most likely just get Brown back, realistically.
I think I'd prefer Dave Pettitt to return, but I'm good with either. :)
8000 Saiyan wrote:And there are voices in the Japanese version that don't sound natural. :wink:

I know that you're not really that curious about this dub but if you're interested, Drummond has deepened his voice for this dub and McNeil sounds slightly different, so maybe this time around you'll like them.
The deepening of Drummond's voice won't be what sets his portrayal apart from his previous performnces; what will set it apart is the portrayal itself.
Same goes for McNeil.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2728
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:01 am

Robo4900 wrote:The deepening of Drummond's voice won't be what sets his portrayal apart from his previous performnces; what will set it apart is the portrayal itself.
Same goes for McNeil.
Yeah, I know, but all I was saying that he'll probably appreciate the fact that they sound different this time around. Mewzard said that Drummond and McNeil's original voices only fit Vegeta and Piccolo only when they're demonic villains (although Piccolo is a demon) and they need to sound more natural to work when they're not villains.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Post Reply