Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:27 am

OutlawTorn wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
Tian wrote:Okay guys, I've got a question :
Is the channel that is gonna acquire Kai present in all the cable and satellite providers in Canada?
All the major carriers offer the channel, however, fewer than 700k people actually subscribe to it (that number is probably <600k by now). Those interested will be able to get it, but it's far more obscure than any of the popular kids channels in Canada.
I can't seem to find a reference to what this channel is. What is the potential channel which may be carrying it?
It's kind of a convoluted story:

Wow Unlimited Media, a Canadian animation company formed by the merger of Rainmaker Entertainment and Frederator Networks, is purchasing a TV channel from Bell Media with plans of rebranding it. Bell Media's president revealed that channel would be Comedy Gold, which currently airs old sitcoms and standup routines. The purchase was officially inked in September but still needs to be approved by the Canadian government. There's no reason to believe that won't happen but it's just taking its time (expected to be around 6 months) since all governments are slow.

The person tasked with heading up this channel is Marni Shulman. A few months ago, we managed to get her to look into acquiring the rights to Dragon Ball Kai. She hasn't publicly confirmed whether or not she was successful in doing so but if she was, she'd probably want to wait to announce that closer to the channel's launch.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:14 am

Unpopular opinion: Morrow is my favourite Ocean Goku.

I also think Ocean Buu arc > FUNi old Z dub, despite thinking the opposite for the Cell arc. But yeah something about Morrow I think is underrated. His SS3 scream for example was sooo much better than Schemmel's old Z one, like Schemmel's SS3 Kai it felt like there was more weight to Morrow's screaming in the scene.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:43 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Unpopular opinion: Morrow is my favourite Ocean Goku.

I also think Ocean Buu arc > FUNi old Z dub, despite thinking the opposite for the Cell arc. But yeah something about Morrow I think is underrated. His SS3 scream for example was sooo much better than Schemmel's old Z one, like Schemmel's SS3 Kai it felt like there was more weight to Morrow's screaming in the scene.
I also think that Morrow is better than people give him credit for. He was a step up from Westwood era Kelamis imo.

And while I still prefer Funi's old Buu dub to Ocean's I will say that the Westwood dub suddenly got really good around the Fusion and Kid Buu sagas. The new music tracks they started using made a world of difference and it's a shame they didn't introduce them sooner.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:44 pm

Meh, I don't think either dub was better than the other.

And honestly, I don't see the great improvements of Funimation's Buu Saga dub. Sabat was still intolerable as Vegeta and Piccolo. He only started to become tolerable in Kai to me.

I have to agree that the Monster Rancher music was better than the Megaman one though.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:58 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Meh, I don't think either dub was better than the other.

And honestly, I don't see the great improvements of Funimation's Buu Saga dub. Sabat was still intolerable as Vegeta and Piccolo. He only started to become tolerable in Kai to me.

I have to agree that the Monster Rancher music was better than the Megaman one though.
More than that I've seen it said that they composed entirely new tracks specifically for the show at that point.

Anyone able to link us to those?
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:46 pm

SX10 wrote:

More than that I've seen it said that they composed entirely new tracks specifically for the show at that point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuCYqMON2to
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:05 pm

90sDBZ wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Unpopular opinion: Morrow is my favourite Ocean Goku.

I also think that Morrow is better than people give him credit for. He was a step up from Westwood era Kelamis imo.

And while I still prefer Funi's old Buu dub to Ocean's I will say that the Westwood dub suddenly got really good around the Fusion and Kid Buu sagas. The new music tracks they started using made a world of difference and it's a shame they didn't introduce them sooner.
I like all the Ocean Gokus, and I consider every single one of them to be superior to Sean Schemmel at the time their time in the show.
But yes, Morrow specifically is very unerrated. I really like him, and while his screams did come off a bit weak at some points, he blows me away with Super Saiyan 3. And man, the overall approach overall there was so cool... He sounded like he was seriously in pain, like he was dying or something, all while Kaio was yelling at him to stop with incredible urgency, and the music was sounding really tense and serious... The transformation was just a lot darker in Ocean's dub than Funimation's, like you know Goku really shouldn't have tried it.

I must say, I think the Ocean dub was better than Funi's old dub all the way through; the difference was a lot bigger in the Boo arc, when a lot of excellent new cast members were brought in for Ocean's dub(Brad Swaile as Gohan is perfection), and many of the old cast had settled into their roles just enough for them to really get into an unstoppable stride, and I think the direction got a lot more consistent... And yeah, music got a lot better, with the Monster Rancher score being added to the music library, and some original tracks too.
But, I still consider the Cell arc to be Ocean > Funi.
8000 Saiyan wrote:And honestly, I don't see the great improvements of Funimation's Buu Saga dub. Sabat was still intolerable as Vegeta and Piccolo. He only started to become tolerable in Kai to me.
Haha, same. I thought Sabat kind of started to find his Vegeta voice starting from the Boo arc, but he didn't really get good until after GT; probably somewhere in the video games before Kai.
OutlawTorn wrote:I can't seem to find a reference to what this channel is. What is the potential channel which may be carrying it?
A new channel which hasn't opened yet. It looks like it'll be carrying some amount of anime, including Ocean Kai.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Wow Unlimited Media, a Canadian animation company formed by the merger of Rainmaker Entertainment and Frederator Networks, is purchasing a TV channel from Bell Media with plans of rebranding it. Bell Media's president revealed that channel would be Comedy Gold, which currently airs old sitcoms and standup routines. The purchase was officially inked in September but still needs to be approved by the Canadian government. There's no reason to believe that won't happen but it's just taking its time (expected to be around 6 months) since all governments are slow.

The person tasked with heading up this channel is Marni Shulman. A few months ago, we managed to get her to look into acquiring the rights to Dragon Ball Kai. She hasn't publicly confirmed whether or not she was successful in doing so but if she was, she'd probably want to wait to announce that closer to the channel's launch.
This all seems accurate, though I'd like to point out one point of clarification -- the channel being closed is Comedy Gold. We don't know what Wow Media will be calling the channel for sure, I don't think, though I imagine it will be called something like "Wow Unlimited".
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:10 pm

Everytime I think of Sabat's Vegeta in the Buu Saga, I think of this part:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOXyGXWQXUE

He always sounds strained for whatever reason.

I always preferred Drummond's Vegeta because he could always emote better and besides, he sounds closer to Horikawa.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:31 pm

I think that was just false impression fans and I even myself fell for, switching from Buu Kai to FUNi Z Buu was so jarring, Sabat's Vegeta in particular as you mentioned was pretty horrendous.

That's why I sold my Z sets, with the JPN broadcast leaks, Kai complete and Ocean dub of Z not on those discs there was no reason for me to ever put any disc of Z in anymore!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:23 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Everytime I think of Sabat's Vegeta in the Buu Saga, I think of this part:

I always preferred Drummond's Vegeta because he could always emote better and besides, he sounds closer to Horikawa.
Agreed, aside from the fact I've never been one to compare Japanese and English voices as a point of quality, to be honest. At most, it's a point of interest. The reason I like Pan's Blue Water voice isn't that she sounds a lot like the Japanese voice of Pan, it's because she fits the role, and did a good job with the actual acting itself.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:35 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Everytime I think of Sabat's Vegeta in the Buu Saga, I think of this part:

Agreed, aside from the fact I've never been one to compare Japanese and English voices as a point of quality, to be honest. At most, it's a point of interest. The reason I like Pan's Blue Water voice isn't that she sounds a lot like the Japanese voice of Pan, it's because she fits the role, and did a good job with the actual acting itself.
I prefer Ocean Pan over Blue Water Pan, she was a lot more cute-sounding.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:41 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I prefer Ocean Pan over Blue Water Pan, she was a lot more cute-sounding.
It's been years since I last saw the final few episodes of Westwood Z. In fact, the last time I saw them was probably an original TV airing of the final episode way back in like 2004. I'm sure I'll go back and rewatch this stuff someday, when I've acquired some better sources for much of the run, but as it stands now, it's been years, so I don't really remember. Only thing I really do remember is Vegeta saying to Goku "When we fight, we'll need a whole planet." or something like that.

I'll take your word for it, though. :)

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:50 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
SX10 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuCYqMON2to
Aw thanks! That was enjoyable, much preferred to Faulconer.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:53 pm

So guys, it's not like we've had any negative updates from Marni and her last tweet seemed quite enthusiastic even if it was about the channel in general. How sure are we that things are going well with regard to obtaining the dub?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:19 am

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I prefer Ocean Pan over Blue Water Pan, she was a lot more cute-sounding.
It's been years since I last saw the final few episodes of Westwood Z. In fact, the last time I saw them was probably an original TV airing of the final episode way back in like 2004. I'm sure I'll go back and rewatch this stuff someday, when I've acquired some better sources for much of the run, but as it stands now, it's been years, so I don't really remember. Only thing I really do remember is Vegeta saying to Goku "When we fight, we'll need a whole planet." or something like that.

I'll take your word for it, though. :)
If you don't remember how she sounds, here you go.
http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/tv- ... all-Z/Pan/

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:49 am

SX10 wrote:So guys, it's not like we've had any negative updates from Marni and her last tweet seemed quite enthusiastic even if it was about the channel in general. How sure are we that things are going well with regard to obtaining the dub?
Well, it's a double-sided coin. On one hand, she could certainly be winking at us in that she could be talking about Kai as well the channel as a whole. Otherwise, she could just be talking about the channel and sort of assume that's what we're all pumped about.

In my humble opinion, yes, it's coming. It's only a matter of time and depends on the CRTC's approval of Wow!'s new joint channel with Bell, which I don't see being an issue. Even if the premiere doesn't come right away with the launch, it can always come unless Marni tells us otherwise.

But you always have to remember what guys like Super Saiyan Prime have been saying, that we haven't had anything set in stone to be 100% certain of it until it is confirmed beyond any reasonable doubt.

So for now we just have to wait and observe, but I think we're getting it.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:57 pm

SX10 wrote:So guys, it's not like we've had any negative updates from Marni and her last tweet seemed quite enthusiastic even if it was about the channel in general. How sure are we that things are going well with regard to obtaining the dub?
Speaking as this thread's resident optimist, I am optimistic about it.
8000 Saiyan wrote:If you don't remember how she sounds, here you go.
http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/tv- ... all-Z/Pan/
Ah. I can see why you like her. She does sound very cute. Still, I dunno if she'd have worked for the slightly older Pan. Perhaps she would have, if she'd just used a slightly different voice for the part... I dunno. Did we ever hear what the provisional castings for GT were before it was moved to Blue Water? I wonder if she was on the docket.
Arian wrote:So for now we just have to wait and observe, but I think we're getting it.
That's probably the best summation of the situation.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:04 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Ah. I can see why you like her. She does sound very cute. Still, I dunno if she'd have worked for the slightly older Pan. Perhaps she would have, if she'd just used a slightly different voice for the part... I dunno. Did we ever hear what the provisional castings for GT were before it was moved to Blue Water? I wonder if she was on the docket.
I don't think so, but according to a Canadian Kanzenshuu member, Michael Dobson was going to play four roles.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:07 pm

It's worth noting that Brenna O'Brien was still a child actor when she recorded for Pan, that's why she sounds like a genuine child. Caitlynne Medrek (Blue Water) would've been roughly 14 or so when she recorded GT.

I believe Oob's voice actor was also a child at the time of recording as well.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:40 pm

NitroEX wrote:It's worth noting that Brenna O'Brien was still a child actor when she recorded for Pan, that's why she sounds like a genuine child. Caitlynne Medrek (Blue Water) would've been roughly 14 or so when she recorded GT.
I see. Makes sense.
NitroEX wrote:I believe Oob's voice actor was also a child at the time of recording as well.
Wasn't Oob's voice Brian Drummond's son?
8000 Saiyan wrote:I don't think so, but according to a Canadian Kanzenshuu member, Michael Dobson was going to play four roles.
:o

I mean, he is a pretty versatile actor. I do wonder who he was cast as...
Perhaps some of the bandits in the first couple of episodes?
Perhaps Lezick?
Maybe that weird whiskers guy from episodes 7 and 8?