Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2728
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:55 pm

Yeah, Oob's voice actor is Brian's son.

He might have been cast as Baby and one of the Shadow Dragons.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 4095
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:08 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Yeah, Oob's voice actor is Brian's son.
Yeah, thought so.
8000 Saiyan wrote:He might have been cast as Baby and one of the Shadow Dragons.
Seems pretty early for that.
Maybe Baby, but the Shadow Dragons would be pretty far away.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

User avatar
NitroEX
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1539
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Not America

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:11 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
NitroEX wrote:I believe Oob's voice actor was also a child at the time of recording as well.
Wasn't Oob's voice Brian Drummond's son?
I assume you got that from IMDB? It's most likely one of their mistakes. To my knowledge, Aidan Drummond has never dubbed any Dragon Ball (although I suppose there's a chance he might've been in Kai). He has dubbed some anime though, most notably Sword of the Stranger.

Oob's Ocean voice sounds closest to Christopher Turner.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 4095
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:33 pm

NitroEX wrote:I assume you got that from IMDB? It's most likely one of their mistakes. To my knowledge, Aidan Drummond has never dubbed any Dragon Ball (although I suppose there's a chance he might've been in Kai). He has dubbed some anime though, most notably Sword of the Stranger.

Oob's Ocean voice sounds closest to Christopher Turner.
Oob's voice is listed in my (Admittedly, currently still WIP) cast list text file as Aidan Drummond. I pulled that from various sources, such as Anime News Network.

Not that it's worth all that much, but the DB Wikia also lists Aidan Drummond as Ocean's Oob.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

User avatar
NitroEX
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1539
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Not America

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:07 pm

Hearing AIdan's voice in Sword of the Stranger, it doesn't sound anything like Oob to me, the provided clip speaks for itself really, if you listen to the episode with Oob there are lots of similarities to that voice.

Sites like IMDB and Anime News Network often seem to borrow from each other on anime casts so it's no surprise they have similar mistakes, I recall Ted Cole and Brad Swaile being listed on ANN for being part of a Beyblade dub that was done in Toronto, the characters didn't even sound like them. I find that the quality control is often low when it comes to online voice acting databases.

Edit: Quick examples of Oob's voice, he sounds slightly older in the Oob examples but I think that's probably down to his voice maturing between roles.
https://streamable.com/i58iw
https://streamable.com/r9fhl

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here
Posts: 2077
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare / Sligo, Ireland

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:54 am

SX10 wrote:So guys, it's not like we've had any negative updates from Marni and her last tweet seemed quite enthusiastic even if it was about the channel in general. How sure are we that things are going well with regard to obtaining the dub?
I want to be optimistic about it, I really do, but like many others in this thread I am trying to keep my expectations low so as to not get disappointed, but from Marni's responses on Twitter I do think this dub has the best chance it has had of airing since Kix, which as we all know didn't go the way we wanted.

Unless TOEI once again decides it has to be Funi Kai or nothing and the dub hasn't been written off as a tax loss (which shouldn't be the case if Marni had more than one call and didn't just get a direct No) everything should be ok.

Marni definitely seemed interested if she went as far as to ask who owns the distribution rights and Tweeted Interpacific Productions to talk, so fingers crossed for now.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single
- any of the Bridge Ent DVDs containing the Big Green dubs

If interested PM with offers

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 4095
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:17 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Unless TOEI once again decides it has to be Funi Kai or nothing
I think people are too hasty in deciding that's the reason Kix didn't pick it up.
Ultimately, we have no idea why they didn't pick it up, and we probably never will. But, I doubt Toei would just sabotage a dub; they have to approve every dub before it gets made, and the better any given dub does, the more money it makes for Toei, so while they would never want to screw any of their existing partnerships, such as Funimation, having another company producing a dub for Canada and some European territories like in the early '00s would be financially quite good for Toei. So, really there's no reason why Toei would block this dub from airing.

Ultimately, we have no idea what went on behind the scenes there, so we'll have to just live with it. In my view, as long as this dub does get on air, what happened on Kix doesn't really matter.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:and the dub hasn't been written off as a tax loss (which shouldn't be the case if Marni had more than one call and didn't just get a direct No) everything should be ok.e
Well, as you say, Shulman said it was going well. If it had been written off on the company's taxes, it would have been an immediate "No."
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Marni definitely seemed interested if she went as far as to ask who owns the distribution rights and Tweeted Interpacific Productions to talk, so fingers crossed for now.
Absolutely. And she's continually said it's all going smoothly, and there's nothing to really report, so presumably, it's a standard, business-as-usual TV deal. We don't know for sure, but I think that's the most likely way things are going.
NitroEX wrote:Sites like IMDB and Anime News Network often seem to borrow from each other on anime casts so it's no surprise they have similar mistakes, I recall Ted Cole and Brad Swaile being listed on ANN for being part of a Beyblade dub that was done in Toronto, the characters didn't even sound like them. I find that the quality control is often low when it comes to online voice acting databases.
Hm. Looks like you're right.
I do wonder who it was, though.

On an unrelated note...

I just noticed that Alistair Abell consistently pronounced Goku the Japanese way, with emphasis on the second syllable, when saying Goku's name as Trunks.
With all this talk of correct pronunciation and such, I thought that might be an interesting thing to point out.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2728
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:25 am

It'd be funny if Aidan played Future Trunks in the Ocean Kai dub, but I think they'll cast someone else.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 4095
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:31 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:It'd be funny if Aidan played Future Trunks in the Ocean Kai dub, but I think they'll cast someone else.
That could be fun.
I mean, it's possible. We won't know for sure until it airs. :)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2728
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:32 am

I just rewatched the Ocean dub of World's Strongest and I'm sad that Lalainia isn't likely to reprise Bulma for the Kai dub since she's really good.

And this was probably Kelamis at his best. Much like Lalainia, it's sad that he didn't get a chance to reprise for the Kai dub, but then again, he wasn't informed.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2939
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:38 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I just rewatched the Ocean dub of World's Strongest and I'm sad that Lalainia isn't likely to reprise Bulma for the Kai dub since she's really good.

And this was probably Kelamis at his best. Much like Lalainia, it's sad that he didn't get a chance to reprise for the Kai dub, but then again, he wasn't informed.
Who's to say he'd wanna come back? There's a reason he quit, since he was unhappy with the rushed production & pay disputes at the time. Though he obviously doesn't regret voicing Goku, he doesn't do a lot of dubbing work currently, right?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2728
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:41 pm

Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I just rewatched the Ocean dub of World's Strongest and I'm sad that Lalainia isn't likely to reprise Bulma for the Kai dub since she's really good.

And this was probably Kelamis at his best. Much like Lalainia, it's sad that he didn't get a chance to reprise for the Kai dub, but then again, he wasn't informed.
Who's to say he'd wanna come back? There's a reason he quit, since he was unhappy with the rushed production & pay disputes at the time. Though he obviously doesn't regret voicing Goku, he doesn't do a lot of dubbing work currently, right?
You're talking about Corlett, not Kelamis.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2939
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:05 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I just rewatched the Ocean dub of World's Strongest and I'm sad that Lalainia isn't likely to reprise Bulma for the Kai dub since she's really good.

And this was probably Kelamis at his best. Much like Lalainia, it's sad that he didn't get a chance to reprise for the Kai dub, but then again, he wasn't informed.
Who's to say he'd wanna come back? There's a reason he quit, since he was unhappy with the rushed production & pay disputes at the time. Though he obviously doesn't regret voicing Goku, he doesn't do a lot of dubbing work currently, right?
You're talking about Corlett, not Kelamis.
Right. Kalemis wanted to do more comedic work, right?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2728
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:07 pm

Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Who's to say he'd wanna come back? There's a reason he quit, since he was unhappy with the rushed production & pay disputes at the time. Though he obviously doesn't regret voicing Goku, he doesn't do a lot of dubbing work currently, right?
You're talking about Corlett, not Kelamis.
Right. Kalemis wanted to do more comedic work, right?
The reason why Kelamis quit voicing Goku was because he was often busy working in LA.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:48 pm

This thread always gets me excited but then disappointed because there aren't any video links to watch pieces of Ocean Dub Kai.

Wouldn't it be possible for like, Netflix or CBC to broadcast it and settle with that? I obviously know nothing about this but I just want Ocean Dub Kai so muccchhhh!
8000 Saiyan wrote:Yeah, Oob's voice actor is Brian's son.

He might have been cast as Baby and one of the Shadow Dragons.
Oh, nepotism. Eh, it's Drummond so that's A-OK! :P
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2939
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:49 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: You're talking about Corlett, not Kelamis.
Right. Kalemis wanted to do more comedic work, right?
The reason why Kelamis quit voicing Goku was because he was often busy working in LA.
Right, I think I remember someone mentioning that pages back in this thread, since he has homes in both Canada & LA.
SuperCyan2 wrote:This thread always gets me excited but then disappointed because there aren't any video links to watch pieces of Ocean Dub Kai.

Wouldn't it be possible for like, Netflix or CBC to broadcast it and settle with that? I obviously know nothing about this but I just want Ocean Dub Kai so muccchhhh!
The rights to Dragon Ball are really weird in North America. For one, FUNimation's been the main licensor of the shows & movies since 1996. Obviously, companies in Canada have licensed the shows for broadcast, but not home video distribution. This mainly has to do with Canadian broadcast standards, as well as FUNi's dubs being the only dubs on home media. A company in Canada would probably have to go through some major legal work to make that happen. The only reason I can see that DB has had alternate Canadian dubs is because of broadcast standards requiring stations to air at least 50% Canadian-produced content in a day or something like that. Ocean's dub in particular was first being produced for UK airings, since the licensing rights were cheaper to get them than FUNi's dub audio, but they switched to it in Canada because it counted as Canadian content.
Kai has been weird because it's not gonna be released on home video, that much we know, but if you're expecting Netflix to stream it, good luck on that front. FUNi's notorious when it comes to where they release the franchise, like having all of it on their streaming service & having digital versions of the episodes available for purchase on Amazon or Xbox Video, which I really don't get why the last 2 movies are the only ones of the franchise on iTunes. It's available on Amazon & Xbox, but not iTunes? That screams that their marketing department really doesn't understand their consumer base. Then again, other companies have the same problems with not getting all of their backlog on iTunes either even though it's most likely cheaper & easier than other home media releases, so I don't know. Point is, don't expect the franchise to be on Netflix any time in the near future. They are apparently getting a deal with a new channel, but nothing's set in stone yet as far as anyone knows.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:03 pm
Location: Kilmarnock, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by SX10 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:38 pm

Watching the Pioneer produced dubs of movies 1-3 again. Man-oh-man, so good! As time has passed, I can agree that Kelamis is definitely the best English dub Goku. Will always have a soft spot for Ian James Corlett though. They are kind of similar.

I have a lot of faith in Richard Ian Cox to deliver something definitive. Cause I think his voice shares qualities with those two and he's a great actor with a naturally high voice. I really only hear the rasp when he gets 'cool' roles but he's got that goofy side. He could nail it.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 4095
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:19 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:This thread always gets me excited but then disappointed because there aren't any video links to watch pieces of Ocean Dub Kai.

Wouldn't it be possible for like, Netflix or CBC to broadcast it and settle with that? I obviously know nothing about this but I just want Ocean Dub Kai so muccchhhh!
Might happen in Canada or the UK. Unlikely, though. And it definitely won't happen in the US.
SuperCyan2 wrote:Oh, nepotism. Eh, it's Drummond so that's A-OK! :P
If you read some of the other posts here, we've found out this was in fact not the case.
SX10 wrote:Watching the Pioneer produced dubs of movies 1-3 again. Man-oh-man, so good! As time has passed, I can agree that Kelamis is definitely the best English dub Goku. Will always have a soft spot for Ian James Corlett though. They are kind of similar.
Haha, indeed. I think Kelamis is a lot like if Corlett had a lighter, goofier quality to his voice, and screams that are amped up by a factor of a million.

But yeah, Pioneer 1-3 slay. They're mind-blowingly amazing.
SX10 wrote:I have a lot of faith in Richard Ian Cox to deliver something definitive. Cause I think his voice shares qualities with those two and he's a great actor with a naturally high voice. I really only hear the rasp when he gets 'cool' roles but he's got that goofy side. He could nail it.
I imagine he'll probably give us an entirely different take on it, but I look forward to hearing it whatever he does; I'm sure he'll have done a great job, however he's decided to play it.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here
Posts: 2077
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare / Sligo, Ireland

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:29 am

SuperCyan2 wrote:Wouldn't it be possible for like, Netflix or CBC to broadcast it and settle with that? I obviously know nothing about this but I just want Ocean Dub Kai so muccchhhh!
I know our resident optimist Robo4900 will probably have words of wisdom on why I'm wrong here, but since Funimation has had the home video rights to Dragon Ball in North America since 1995 I would think a similar deal was established for streaming. The UK is a possibility because while Funimation's dubs are ultimately released on DVD and Blu-Ray MangaUK is the licence holder so its ultimately their decision which dub they sublicence. Jerome deactivated his Twitter but he is still on Facebook, so it wouldn't hurt to talk him into looking at Ocean Kai, but if his previous responses on Twitter are anything to go by getting an alternate dub could take some convincing. Granted its still Funimation's product, but if we get a UK version of Rock the Dragon that may help by gauging how well a set with a different cast sells in this market.
Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Right. Kalemis wanted to do more comedic work, right?
This mainly has to do with Canadian broadcast standards, as well as FUNi's dubs being the only dubs on home media. A company in Canada would probably have to go through some major legal work to make that happen. The only reason I can see that DB has had alternate Canadian dubs is because of broadcast standards requiring stations to air at least 50% Canadian-produced content in a day or something like that. Ocean's dub in particular was first being produced for UK airings, since the licensing rights were cheaper to get them than FUNi's dub audio, but they switched to it in Canada because it counted as Canadian content.
I don't think the previous alternate Canadian dubs were made to fill the quota for national content. Maybe the Blue Water dubs because they were fully Canadian dubbed shows, but definitely not the Westwood dub since it was only part of a full series and the rest was dubbed by Funimation.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single
- any of the Bridge Ent DVDs containing the Big Green dubs

If interested PM with offers

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2939
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Scsigs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:30 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I don't think the previous alternate Canadian dubs were made to fill the quota for national content. Maybe the Blue Water dubs because they were fully Canadian dubbed shows, but definitely not the Westwood dub since it was only part of a full series and the rest was dubbed by Funimation.
Then why would they randomly switch after broadcasting the FUNi dub for as long as they were in Canada? You ask me, the most likely explanation is that they wanted to fill a quota & DBZ was right there for them.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Post Reply