Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:57 am

Attitudefan wrote:In some ways, if this dub is coming out now, it might actually be a better time for it to happen than ever before. If it came out in 2009/2010 alongside Funimation's version, heavy criticisms from people who are not used to the Ocean cast, and those who want to compare it to the American version, would probably have hurt the success of the Ocean version. If it comes out close to the Broly release, after Super, it can really reinvigorate Dragon Ball to the Canadian audiences. A new generation of fans can be introduced to the Canadian actors, and it might even help the new film all around Canada.
I'm not so sure, honestly, if it had come out around the same time as Funimation's version, it probably would've gotten more attention simply because Kai was still a "new" show at the time. Not to mention Funimation's version wouldn't have had years to become endeared and nostalgic to some. Remember that back then Funi's version of Kai had it's own fair share of hatred online, from people who disliked the censorship to Faulconer fanboys decrying the music to even a misinformed bunch of people saying that the "old voices were better". I'm sure Ocean's version would've suffered a similar backlash but at this point it's all going to seem very one-sided.

I think both dubs would've started on equal footing around that time because both TV airings would've contained censorship and thus the detractors wouldn't have been able to criticise the Ocean version solely for that (and you know that will be the first thing they point out if it happens to come out now). With both dubs censored they would have been forced to critic the performances and script and I have full confidence that Ocean would have fared better in that department, as they've done in the past. At that point, the only thing they could whine about is the music but the Yamamoto scandal in 2011 would've quickly stuck a wrench in that argument.

In any case, I actually think it would likely fair worse now among the older fan group simply because they've had so much time to become endeared to the Funimation version of Kai and form a strong attachment to it. I'm not just talking about the pro-Funimation die-hards but also the kids who were introduced to Kai and grew up on that version. Once they're used to a certain version it's hard to get them to try a different dub, even if the acting turns out to be better. Then again I could be wrong, Brian Drummond's cameo in the Super dub was met with positive reception, even amongst the die-hard Funi fans, but that was in a Funimation dub with Sabat and crew and it was an older Toonami (US) audience so who knows if the "Kai" generation will feel the same as they've likely had little to no exposure to Drummond, nevermind the rest of the Canadian cast.

If it does get on TV I'm sure it will still perform well enough just on the strength of the show and the strong acting talent involved. Kids who haven't seen it before and those who aren't too fussed about the American voice cast will probably enjoy it for what it is but I think there will be some hostile resistance to it online. In any case, I'm sure Ocean's dub will fair better than that the pitiful Bang Zoom dub of Super but I'm sure you'll still see the odd person trying to tear it down for not having Sean Schemmel.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:31 am

Attitudefan wrote:In some ways, if this dub is coming out now, it might actually be a better time for it to happen than ever before. If it came out in 2009/2010 alongside Funimation's version, heavy criticisms from people who are not used to the Ocean cast, and those who want to compare it to the American version, would probably have hurt the success of the Ocean version. If it comes out close to the Broly release, after Super, it can really reinvigorate Dragon Ball to the Canadian audiences. A new generation of fans can be introduced to the Canadian actors, and it might even help the new film all around Canada.

If this is the case, that is just crazy luck.
Use those arguments to convince Toei!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:25 pm

NitroEX wrote:[...] If it does get on TV I'm sure it will still perform well enough just on the strength of the show and the strong acting talent involved. Kids who haven't seen it before and those who aren't too fussed about the American voice cast will probably enjoy it for what it is but I think there will be some hostile resistance to it online. In any case, I'm sure Ocean's dub will fair better than that the pitiful Bang Zoom dub of Super but I'm sure you'll still see the odd person trying to tear it down for not having Sean Schemmel.
Here's the thing: The people hating on it will all be just the online haters, the loud minority. Just like the hate for The Last Jedi, while the online reception might have some people hating on it because they wanted something else, the actual numbers will show great reception, and if you filter out the handful of weird haters who have nothing better to do than to criticise media they have a personal grudge against, you'll find a massive outpouring of love for such things, as Rian Johnson often attests to be the case.

This is what I think will happen, especially since we see the same thing happening with the original Ocean dubs. Ask online, and people will say that the USA's way was the best way, probably: "oh well the ocean voices were good but the funimation voices are better in the cell and boo arcs becaus they sound mor mature"
And yet, the second Ocean run of Z did massively well in the UK and Canada. The Blue Water runs did really well too, despite the fact you'll see a lot of people online complaining about the voices, since Blue Water wasn't Funi or Ocean...
Look a bit deeper, and you'll actually see quite a lot of love for all these alternate dubs of Dragon Ball.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:47 pm

I know it's too early to say this but... one of the voices I am hyped to hear from this dub is Bardock's. The guy never got an Ocean voice actor because the episode and the special where he appeared were never dubbed by Ocean. I wonder who was cast as him. One of the Dobson brothers? Cox?

Edited : Oh crap, I mixed up names again. I meant (Richard Ian) Cox, not Corlett.
Last edited by Tian on Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:56 pm

Corlett would be a nice nod to the Saban days, but I doubt he got a role in this dub. Didn't he tell Kirbopher he'd do it again if the opportunity arose (I can't remember exactly what he said but he seemed to indicate he hadn't heard anything about this dub).

Since Bardock only appears in a cameo I reckon they'll use a Blue Water actor for him.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:27 pm

They gave Scott McNeil Dr. Briefs, who has a minor role in the series, so I'm sure that they could go with a Vancouver VA for Bardock.

Any of the Dobsons would work as Bardock.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:36 pm

I dunno why, but I guess Burdock does give the Dobson brothers vibe. :lol:

They could always have given the role to Kirby Morrow. We never did hear whether he was called back for any reason at all after he was turned down as Goku.

In terms of new castings, the one I'm looking forward to the most is Cell. Much as I'm actually a fan of Dale Wilson's Cell, I don't think he really came into the role until Perfect, and even then, he was merely a pretty good casting in the role. Perhaps he could have done a much better job with different direction(Particularly for the Imperfect Cell material), but regardless, I'm glad we are getting a new one, and I look forward to hearing how it turns out.

One casting we don't know about who I hope is a returning voice is Raditz. I always really loved Jason Gray-Stanford in that role, and I really hope they were able to bring him back.
Also I kind of low-key want McNeil to voice the farmer with the shotgun who gets killed in episode 1 again... :lol:

I'm really looking forward to hearing what Brendan Hunter is like as Tenshinhan in this version. I quite liked him in OG Dragon Ball, and I'm pumped to see what he does in a more high-budget production like this. :D

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:49 pm

"Puts elitist glasses on" Actually the farmer with the shotgun doesnt die in any version of the anime. Only in the manga "Takes off elitist glasses"
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:51 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:"Puts elitist glasses on" Actually the farmer with the shotgun doesnt die in any version of the anime. Only in the manga "Takes off elitist glasses"
What?

But... Raditz throws a bullet at him... He bangs his head right into the car as he's thrown into it from the force of the bullet going through his face... How is he not dead from that?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:54 pm

Dude, you are talking about a world where people have survived much worse. ALSO HIS POWER LEVEL IS 10.5!
Fake edit: I really was joking, even if I do mantain that he doesnt die. I'm not an elitist jerk...yet.

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM0z0lD3iA0

I know its not the original Japanese version but I know you'd like the treat! I know the dialogue was added but the bullet went through the Shotgun. Not his head.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:30 pm

I always thought Mark Hildreth would've made a great Ocean Bardock back when Z was being dubbed in 2000-2002. He was in the same vocal range as the Ocean Goku actors yet maintained a much cooler and more serious demeanour in his roles. He wouldn't have been the guy they picked for Kai though since he moved away from Vancouver and stopped dubbing anime before then.

If they didn't have Paul Dobson reprise Zarbon (which, allegedly they didn't) then he would've probably make a decent fit for the role but I'm not sure they'd go in such a similar direction as Funimation's Bardock, particularly if they were willing to cast Goku in the same spirit as Nozawa. Realistically, it's probably Richard Ian Cox, to be honest.
Robo4900 wrote: Here's the thing: The people hating on it will all be just the online haters, the loud minority. Just like the hate for The Last Jedi, while the online reception might have some people hating on it because they wanted something else, the actual numbers will show great reception, and if you filter out the handful of weird haters who have nothing better to do than to criticise media they have a personal grudge against, you'll find a massive outpouring of love for such things, as Rian Johnson often attests to be the case.
I don't know if SW: TLJ is a great example here since I think a lot of the criticism it gets is actually quite fair, but I see your point. They will be a vocal minority for sure but they would've been an even smaller minority back in 2010-2011. Funimation's in-house cast have had far more time to cement themselves as the undisputed English cast worldwide which naturally brings with it more hatred for anything that sounds different. The Bang Zoom dub, while a very flawed product, received a disproportionally negative reaction online, particularly on Youtube. I think that's just kind of a symptom of a world where Funi's voice cast dominates the market. I want to reiterate though that Ocean will undoubtedly have a better product than Bang Zoom.
This is what I think will happen, especially since we see the same thing happening with the original Ocean dubs. Ask online, and people will say that the USA's way was the best way, probably: "oh well the ocean voices were good but the funimation voices are better in the cell and boo arcs becaus they sound mor mature"
And yet, the second Ocean run of Z did massively well in the UK and Canada. The Blue Water runs did really well too, despite the fact you'll see a lot of people online complaining about the voices since Blue Water wasn't Funi or Ocean...
Look a bit deeper, and you'll actually see quite a lot of love for all these alternate dubs of Dragon Ball.
I get what you're saying and agree with this. The hatred for Ocean and Blue Water dubs was definitely something that grew over time amongst bitter online communities since the initial response on television was mostly very positive. I think the Blue Water dubs probably did have a bit more pushback, at least, people I knew at the time seemed a little put off by it, but that was nothing compared to the overwhelming dislike for the Big Green dubs that followed. Some of that hate is even still preserved in old forums and such.

I think the hate for Ocean's work didn't really start appearing until Youtube became more widespread and clips started circulating amongst audiences that had only previously been used to Funimation's in-house version. That along with the introduction of the comment section made the perfect breeding ground for hateful and misinformed comments to fester and influence others (a large part of whom probably never even saw the dub broadcasts to form their own unbiased opinion on it). It was essentially just a one-sided argument going uncontested for years which eventually snowballs until you have even prominent people in DB fan communities adopting misinformed beliefs about a dub.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:56 am

I think Bardock should sound more masculine and badass, and I can't see Hildreth, Morrow or Cox doing that well.

And man, Scott reprising the farmer would be hilarious.

I hope Brendan Hunter does better this time around as Tenshinhan, but I wonder how Michael Donovan or Michael Adamthwaite would have approached the role.

I'm not sure if they can get Jason Gray-Stanford to reprise Raditz. I don't think he lives in Vancouver anymore, and besides, he hasn't done any voice acting ever since, I dunno, 1999 (according to BTVA)?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:01 am

I still think we should expect Calgary actors for Bardock, the farmer, etc, despite them having big names begore (Eg Scott McNeil as farmer). We know Brian Drummond won't be returning as Yajirobe so characters smaller than him will likely be recast too. My guess is the Vancouver cast were given the roles they were needed for, not necessarily all the ones they could do.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:20 am

One idea I had as far as making points to Toei Animation in support of the Ocean dub of Kai airing in Canada was something topical.

The new Broly trailer that was uploaded 3 days ago has already surpassed 6 million views.

What I wanted to know was how many of those views were Canadian? If we knew that and it was a significant number, we can also use that as a MAJOR point. That people in Canada still love Dragon Ball, will go see this movie, and would therefore be ecstatic to see Kai on cable TV.

Since YouTube does not allow anyone to view statistics anymore, would anyone know a way to gather that sort of information for free? It could really help us here.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:00 am

Arian wrote:One idea I had as far as making points to Toei Animation in support of the Ocean dub of Kai airing in Canada was something topical.

The new Broly trailer that was uploaded 3 days ago has already surpassed 6 million views.

What I wanted to know was how many of those views were Canadian? If we knew that and it was a significant number, we can also use that as a MAJOR point. That people in Canada still love Dragon Ball, will go see this movie, and would therefore be ecstatic to see Kai on cable TV.

Since YouTube does not allow anyone to view statistics anymore, would anyone know a way to gather that sort of information for free? It could really help us here.
Is that number for the dub trailer, sub and Japanese versions together?

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:02 am

sangofe wrote:
Arian wrote:One idea I had as far as making points to Toei Animation in support of the Ocean dub of Kai airing in Canada was something topical.

Is that number for the dub trailer, sub and Japanese versions together?
I think just for the dub, which raises its significance even more.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:31 am

It's an interesting idea, but I'd be careful how we word the dubbed trailer doing well as it might be interpreted as an argument for Funi Kai being aired (and I love those actors but we need Ocean Kai specifically to air because thats the version which has never had a chance to get exposure).

Though, I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic that if WOW gets Kai they'd have to go through the CRTC who would ensure they are using the Canadian version.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:43 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:

It's an interesting idea, but I'd be careful how we word the dubbed trailer doing well as it might be interpreted as an argument for Funi Kai being aired (and I love those actors but we need Ocean Kai specifically to air because thats the version which has never had a chance to get exposure).

Though, I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic that if WOW gets Kai they'd have to go through the CRTC who would ensure they are using the Canadian version.
Of course. That would be specified in the email before-hand. And perhaps while explaining the movie thing as well to clear up any confusion.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:07 pm

Arian wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:

Of course. That would be specified in the email before-hand. And perhaps while explaining the movie thing as well to clear up any confusion.
You should straight up ask YouTube.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:53 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I still think we should expect Calgary actors for Bardock, the farmer, etc, despite them having big names begore (Eg Scott McNeil as farmer). We know Brian Drummond won't be returning as Yajirobe so characters smaller than him will likely be recast too. My guess is the Vancouver cast were given the roles they were needed for, not necessarily all the ones they could do.
I don't think we actually know if Drummond is back as Yajirobe...?

And again, when McNeil said he's playing Dr. Brief, he also said he'd be playing Caroni, who was one of Mr. Satan's lackeys at the Cell games, and we know Brendan Hunter is playing Tenshinhan, so I don't think there's any real defined line for when a role is handed to a Calgary actor vs a Vancouver actor.