Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by SX10 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:41 pm

Um, guys? Help!! I e-mailed Toei and got this reply on the 17th but just saw it. What follows is my email and the response:

" Good afternoon,

My inquiry today relates to a proposal regarding Dragon Ball Z Kai and an exciting new platform which has the potential to reach a brand new audience. Recently in Canada, Wow! Unlimited Media have successfully acquired a Canadian channel with the intention of broadcasting animated shows including anime. Their new general manager, Marni Shulman, was quite involved with fans and is greatly interested in acquiring the Canadian dub of Dragon Ball Z Kai.

It can’t be specified enough, however, that it really is the Canadian dub, utilising actors via Ocean Media Productions (IP Productions) etc., that is the desired preference.

A strong case can be made for this as not only would this particular production meet Cancon quotas for the channel, it is fresh as it has never been seen (also in keeping with the ‘refreshed’ aspect of Kai); it would reach new audiences who perhaps have not yet had the chance to watch the show, as well as appeal to older audiences who remember the original English dub production; the entire Funimation production has completed it’s initial TV run for some time now, including its first televised run of “Final Chapters” on Toonami.

The timing feels right and the iron is hot, now would be the time to strike. I hope this is worthwhile of your consideration and thank you for taking the time to read my e-mail.

Thank you,
Sam Love"

A reply from Lisa Yamatoya:

" Hello Sam

Thank you for reaching out to Toei Animation. I realize we do have the Canadian dub with Ocean Studio for DBZ-Kai #1-#98. I also am aware of your channel from Ocean Studio that I believe Ken was discussing the potential license to your network.

Currently, we have no linear deal in Canada. We are really happy to discuss the possibility to air in Canada. What term are you thinking of?

I am heading out to San Diego from tomorrow until Sunday, so my response may delay but should we schedule a call next week?

Best,

Lisa"

Do they think I am associated with Wow! Unlimited?! Oh my god. This could be something, what do I reply with and any contact information you guys can throw at me to get across to Lisa? I could punch myself in the face for not checking my emails sooner!!

I really hope it is not too late. Please help, I am freaking out!
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:56 pm

SX10 wrote:Um, guys? Help!! I e-mailed Toei and got this reply on the 17th but just saw it. What follows is my email and the response:

" Good afternoon,

My inquiry today relates to a proposal regarding Dragon Ball Z Kai and an exciting new platform which has the potential to reach a brand new audience. Recently in Canada, Wow! Unlimited Media have successfully acquired a Canadian channel with the intention of broadcasting animated shows including anime. Their new general manager, Marni Shulman, was quite involved with fans and is greatly interested in acquiring the Canadian dub of Dragon Ball Z Kai.

It can’t be specified enough, however, that it really is the Canadian dub, utilising actors via Ocean Media Productions (IP Productions) etc., that is the desired preference.

A strong case can be made for this as not only would this particular production meet Cancon quotas for the channel, it is fresh as it has never been seen (also in keeping with the ‘refreshed’ aspect of Kai); it would reach new audiences who perhaps have not yet had the chance to watch the show, as well as appeal to older audiences who remember the original English dub production; the entire Funimation production has completed it’s initial TV run for some time now, including its first televised run of “Final Chapters” on Toonami.

The timing feels right and the iron is hot, now would be the time to strike. I hope this is worthwhile of your consideration and thank you for taking the time to read my e-mail.

Thank you,
Sam Love"

A reply from Lisa Yamatoya:

" Hello Sam

Thank you for reaching out to Toei Animation. I realize we do have the Canadian dub with Ocean Studio for DBZ-Kai #1-#98. I also am aware of your channel from Ocean Studio that I believe Ken was discussing the potential license to your network.

Currently, we have no linear deal in Canada. We are really happy to discuss the possibility to air in Canada. What term are you thinking of?

I am heading out to San Diego from tomorrow until Sunday, so my response may delay but should we schedule a call next week?

Best,

Lisa"

Do the think I am associated with Wow! Unlimited?! Oh my god. This could be something, what do I reply with and any contact information you guys can throw at me to get across to Lisa?
You gotta direct them to the right people! Let's find Marni's contact info. Then you can correct her that you are not from Wow! Unlimited or Ocean Studios but it is in your full interest to get this deal made, give her the info and hope for the best!
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:05 pm

I think you should all delete all these posts. If Toei feels Marni broke an NDA this will be the end of the Ocean dub. And It pains me to say it. Because those posts are awesomely informative.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:58 pm

Haha.

Chill out, guys. Shulman has probably worked in this industry far too long to be as careless as to break an NDA over Twitter, or otherwise do something similar that would compromise a deal like this. Long as SX10 doesn't try to imitate a Wow representative, and is sure to be upfront about being just a fan who heard some stuff on Twitter, I don't think anything will stand in the way for this.

Really, we should be celebrating this:
SX10 wrote:Thank you for reaching out to Toei Animation. I realize we do have the Canadian dub with Ocean Studio for DBZ-Kai #1-#98. I also am aware of your channel from Ocean Studio that I believe Ken was discussing the potential license to your network.

Currently, we have no linear deal in Canada. We are really happy to discuss the possibility to air in Canada.
Shulman told us on Twitter that things are going fine with negotiations at least a couple of times, so I think we can take this as more confirmation that things are probably going to be okay, and that the Ocean version is indeed on the table.

In other words...
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:36 am

Hahaha, no worries, I already responded saying that I was in no way affiliated with Wow or Ocean (though maybe they'll hire me after this :p).

Oh it is definitely happening!
Last edited by SX10 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:38 am

Can you share the Email you used? I know its on Toei USA's site but I want the adress you had if it yields more solid results!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:46 am

That is an informative email, and definitely not the response I expected. Guess we know for sure now that the dub hasn't been written off as a tax loss (thank Kami) and that attempts are still being made to get it on the air.

I'd definitely say your not affiliated with Wow Unlimited and just a Dragon Ball fan who is eager to see the Canadian Kai dub be broadcast.

Not sure about Marni specifically, but there's a phone number for Wow Unlimited here (https://www.sedar.com/DisplayProfile.do ... o=00027273) so maybe suggest Lisa calls and ask if she can be put through to Marni Shulman or leave a message for her?

SX10 I know it sucks knowing you got that email on the 17th but didn't see until now but luckily she just got back over a day ago so I'd say now would be as good a time as any to reply.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:37 am

Hey all,

I sent my reply last night, with some help from Arian and cleared up the situation. Provided Marni's email and such. Arian also did some work and to be honest it looks like talks and negotiations are well underway. This has been insane!

Cure Dragon, sorry, all I can say is that I just used the email provided on Toei's website and posted here in the previous page and it so happened to be picked up by Lisa. I wouldn't feel entirely right giving out her work email simply because she must have thought I was a rep for the companies or something. She is the Senior Manager of Marketing & Licensing for Toei USA after all, I think more emails might be too much.

Trust me though, this looks like a 95% chance of happening.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:48 am

I see. Thank you for the explanation! You rock, you have given all of us great hope!

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:53 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I see. Thank you for the explanation! You rock, you have given all of us great hope!
:D thank you! We are all doing this together, we all rock 8)

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:02 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Not sure about Marni specifically, but there's a phone number for Wow Unlimited here (https://www.sedar.com/DisplayProfile.do ... o=00027273) so maybe suggest Lisa calls and ask if she can be put through to Marni Shulman or leave a message for her.
Only problem with this is that this is the information for their Vancouver branch. Marni works at their headquarters in Toronto. :/
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:51 am

Nice work SX10! This was a nice birthday treat to wake up to.

Just the mere fact that Toei has acknowledged they have the dub is progress.

The only bit of that response which somewhat confused me was her referring to "Ken". Do you think she was talking about the Ken Morrison? (the one behind Ocean Studios), would be very interesting if it was.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:48 am

NitroEX wrote:Nice work SX10! This was a nice birthday treat to wake up to.
Funny enough, it was my birthday on friday so it was a treat for more than one of us.
NitroEX wrote:Just the mere fact that Toei has acknowledged they have the dub is progress.
I guess we can assume now TOEI (particularly the US branch) were behind this dub?
NitroEX wrote:The only bit of that response which somewhat confused me was her referring to "Ken". Do you think she was talking about the Ken Morrison? (the one behind Ocean Studios), would be very interesting if it was.
That was my impression at any rate. It'd be too coincidental for it to be anyone else.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:59 am

Great to have this happening! Looking forward for a new experience of Kai!

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:49 am

Happy birthday Nitro! And belated birthday to Dragon Ball Ireland :mrgreen: definitely believe she meant Ken Morrison. Now we wait :)

ButtfaceKalinski

Post by ButtfaceKalinski » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:07 pm

Please don't take this the wrong way, because I think the dedication you guys have shown for this over the years and the level of knowledge you've developed about an impenetrable business you're (probably?) not involved in is impressive... But it's hilarious that you gave such a hard sell and know so much about the ins and outs of this stuff that the licence holder instinctively assumed you were pitching a channel. Looks pretty positive!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:11 pm

Arian wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Can you share the Email you used? I know its on Toei USA's site but I want the adress you had if it yields more solid results!
Not sure about Marni specifically, but there's a phone number for Wow Unlimited here (https://www.sedar.com/DisplayProfile.do ... o=00027273) so maybe suggest Lisa calls and ask if she can be put through to Marni Shulman or leave a message for her?
Only problem with this is that this is the information for their Vancouver branch. Marni works at their headquarters in Toronto. :/
Guys, we've got what we want; the deal is going through, the relevant people are working on it, pestering people over email and the phone at this point is unnecessary. Let's leave them alone, and let the people whose job it is to do this handle it.
NitroEX wrote:Just the mere fact that Toei has acknowledged they have the dub is progress.
I guess we can assume now TOEI (particularly the US branch) were behind this dub?
We still don't know for sure either way. Ultimately, as I understand it, Toei would be the ones to talk to about licensing it in Canada whoever produced it, so it could be the case, could be that it isn't. I guess we'll find out if/when it airs. :)

But no, we still aren't sure about who produced it yet. If it is Toei, I imagine that gives us a much bigger chance of them doing a Kai TFC dub if Kai 1.0 works out well, but we can't really be sure.
NitroEX wrote:The only bit of that response which somewhat confused me was her referring to "Ken". Do you think she was talking about the Ken Morrison? (the one behind Ocean Studios), would be very interesting if it was.
That was my impression at any rate. It'd be too coincidental for it to be anyone else.
It's almost certainly Ken Morrison, though I don't think that's particularly note-worthy... Shulman probably contacted Ocean, a rep passed what she was looking for up the grapevine to Morrison -- or she was put through to him when she made the initial call -- and he passed it all along to Toei through the correct channels. Seems fairly cut-and-dry.
sangofe wrote:Great to have this happening! Looking forward for a new experience of Kai!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

This is going to be really cool. :)
ButtfaceKalinski wrote:Please don't take this the wrong way, because I think the dedication you guys have shown for this over the years and the level of knowledge you've developed about an impenetrable business you're (probably?) not involved in is impressive... But it's hilarious that you gave such a hard sell and know so much about the ins and outs of this stuff that the licence holder instinctively assumed you were pitching a channel. Looks pretty positive!
It is absolutely hilarious. Hopefully we can all back off now and just wait for it to happen now. We put our all into it, we got it the ball rolling on it thanks to Marni Shulman, and now it's out of our hands. We just have to wait for our reward; the version of the show we so desperately want, and the potential genesis of a new generation of Canadian Dragon Ball fans. :)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:21 pm

I wanted the Email for the One Piece Latin American redub, I know firsthand that too many cooks spoil the Ocean dub soup. We've wanted it since 2006!

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:25 pm

That email is pretty enlightening. It tells us that there's only one roadblock from this dub getting released and that's paying what Toei is asking for. Toei clearly isn't preventing its release, as had once been theorized. It also suggests that it may have been Toei who funded this dub all along. There were some earlier signs hinting towards that conclusion, but you never know for sure.

It also tells us that a Canadian TV deal still isn't done. We'll have to see if that's because Wow isn't willing to pay what Toei asked, or if they simply haven't finalized a deal because their channel buyout was still in front of the CRTC until very recently. For our sake, I certainly hope it's the latter as we're running out of options to help this dub finally see the light of day.

Lisa does seem to confirm that Marni spoke with Ocean about acquiring this series. I'm assuming the Ken she spoke to is Ken Morisson.

As for NDAs, I imagine no one has signed one. If anyone would get in trouble, I'd expect it to be Lisa. :lol: Marni has only ever said she'd look into it and that talks were ongoing.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:28 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It also tells us that a Canadian TV deal still isn't done. We'll have to see if that's because Wow isn't willing to pay what Toei asked, or if they simply haven't finalized a deal because their channel buyout was still in front of the CRTC until very recently. For our sake, I certainly hope it's the latter as we're running out of options to help this dub finally see the light of day.
It's most likely the latter. Marni told me yesterday that talks were still ongoing and that wouldn't be the case if Wow! already decided against paying for it.