Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here
Posts: 2077
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare / Sligo, Ireland

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:54 am

Robo4900 wrote:Guys, we've got what we want; the deal is going through, the relevant people are working on it, pestering people over email and the phone at this point is unnecessary. Let's leave them alone, and let the people whose job it is to do this handle it.
I don't expect any of us to make phone calls. I was suggesting SX10 respond to Lisa's phone call request by emailing Wow's number (if their Toronto office's contact details are publicly available). I was just slightly apprehensive at Lisa saying they had no linear deal ready but Marni's reply to Arian has put my mind at ease on that.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:If it is Toei, I imagine that gives us a much bigger chance of them doing a Kai TFC dub if Kai 1.0 works out well, but we can't really be sure.
If this dub airs and breaks even (which it should) I think there's a very good chance they will move forward with an Ocean dub of The Final Chapters, which will be nice as it means we'll finally have a consistent run of the Z part of the story with the Canadian cast.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single
- any of the Bridge Ent DVDs containing the Big Green dubs

If interested PM with offers

User avatar
TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:37 am
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by TheQuazz » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:15 am

Arian wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It also tells us that a Canadian TV deal still isn't done. We'll have to see if that's because Wow isn't willing to pay what Toei asked, or if they simply haven't finalized a deal because their channel buyout was still in front of the CRTC until very recently. For our sake, I certainly hope it's the latter as we're running out of options to help this dub finally see the light of day.
It's most likely the latter. Marni told me yesterday that talks were still ongoing and that wouldn't be the case if Wow! already decided against paying for it.
Really!? That's great news!

Big thanks to you and all the other passionate fans who have put tonnes of effort into getting negotiations for this thing underway! :D

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here
Posts: 2077
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare / Sligo, Ireland

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:13 am

SX10 wrote:Happy birthday Nitro! And belated birthday to Dragon Ball Ireland :mrgreen: definitely believe she meant Ken Morrison. Now we wait :)
Thank you kindly.

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:We'll have to see if that's because Wow isn't willing to pay what Toei asked, or if they simply haven't finalized a deal because their channel buyout was still in front of the CRTC until very recently. For our sake, I certainly hope it's the latter as we're running out of options to help this dub finally see the light of day.
I don't know if cost has anything to do with it, although I wouldn't say so. Anime is expensive to licence but Marni has expressed interest in airing it, and Ocean Kai should be a bit cheaper because they won't have to factor in the expenses of licensing the Japanese score (which is often a pretty penny alone). The latter is a good guess.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single
- any of the Bridge Ent DVDs containing the Big Green dubs

If interested PM with offers

User avatar
TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 916
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:03 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by TheAldella » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:56 am

If this doesn't go through, I just hope that nobody in this thread has to go on suicide watch lmao
Favorite anime -
Naruto Shippuden
Dragon Ball Z Kai
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)
Watchmen (2009)
Man of Steel (2013)
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
Wonder Woman (2017)
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

User avatar
SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:03 pm
Location: Kilmarnock, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by SX10 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:35 am

Everyone has done great work here :)

I sent Marni's email, but no number (replied before I got one) I didn't want to pester Lisa too much. She hasn't replied to my last email and I don't expect her to after finding out I'm just a fan, I hope she reads it at least.

On the subject of cost, Marni is looking at several anime properties so how much more expensive than those can Kai be?

Roll on Final Chapters!... and a possible blu ray release yaaaayyyy (not holding my breath there though).
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 4095
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:57 pm

TheAldella wrote:If this doesn't go through, I just hope that nobody in this thread has to go on suicide watch lmao
I know you probably mean well, but suicide is no joke, dude.
SX10 wrote:On the subject of cost, Marni is looking at several anime properties so how much more expensive than those can Kai be?

Roll on Final Chapters!... and a possible blu ray release yaaaayyyy (not holding my breath there though).
Kai is an older thing, and as much star power as Dragon Ball has, I think Kai is probably going to end up the cheapest Dragon Ball series that could be picked up, and I think it'll be one of the cheaper anime Wow will be looking at; given some of the other series she's looking at are much newer(Or at last, have much more buzz behind them at the moment), I don't think Kai will be all that expensive.

As for TFC - Depends what the ratings are like, how the merch sells, and possibly on how much we push for only going ahead with TFC if/when there's a Canadian dub, which we will probably have to jump on if/when we approach the end of the run of Kai 1.0. I do hope this ends up happening, and I think if the channel is a success, it very well may... We just have to hope the channel does well.
Blu-Ray - Don't count on it. If it's Toei, I think it's possible, but absolutely do not count on this. It's actually worth assuming this won't happen.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:We'll have to see if that's because Wow isn't willing to pay what Toei asked, or if they simply haven't finalized a deal because their channel buyout was still in front of the CRTC until very recently. For our sake, I certainly hope it's the latter as we're running out of options to help this dub finally see the light of day.
I don't know if cost has anything to do with it, although I wouldn't say so. Anime is expensive to licence but Marni has expressed interest in airing it, and Ocean Kai should be a bit cheaper because they won't have to factor in the expenses of licensing the Japanese score (which is often a pretty penny alone). The latter is a good guess.
Indeed. As is often the case with the Ocean dubs of Dragon Ball, Ocean's Kai is probably cheaper to license than Funi's version, and as I was saying above, given Kai's buzz will have reduced down so much in the past few years, I'm sure it'll be very reasonably priced, despite being Dragon Ball.

Honestly, I really don't see any reason for this not to go ahead. I think we just have to wait on announcements of when the channel will debut. :)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

jochs
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:15 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by jochs » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:31 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
SX10 wrote:On the subject of cost, Marni is looking at several anime properties so how much more expensive than those can Kai be?

Roll on Final Chapters!... and a possible blu ray release yaaaayyyy (not holding my breath there though).
Kai is an older thing, and as much star power as Dragon Ball has, I think Kai is probably going to end up the cheapest Dragon Ball series that could be picked up, and I think it'll be one of the cheaper anime Wow will be looking at; given some of the other series she's looking at are much newer(Or at last, have much more buzz behind them at the moment), I don't think Kai will be all that expensive.

As for TFC - Depends what the ratings are like, how the merch sells, and possibly on how much we push for only going ahead with TFC if/when there's a Canadian dub, which we will probably have to jump on if/when we approach the end of the run of Kai 1.0. I do hope this ends up happening, and I think if the channel is a success, it very well may... We just have to hope the channel does well.
Blu-Ray - Don't count on it. If it's Toei, I think it's possible, but absolutely do not count on this. It's actually worth assuming this won't happen.
I just hope what other anime they manage to pick up will help with channel exposure, otherwise TFC won't happen, at least with that channel. I wonder if they'd be aggressive enough or have the money to get the rights for the Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS dub. That'd certainly help.

User avatar
TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 916
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:03 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by TheAldella » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:40 am

Robo4900 wrote:
TheAldella wrote:If this doesn't go through, I just hope that nobody in this thread has to go on suicide watch lmao
I know you probably mean well, but suicide is no joke, dude.
I understand what you mean. My father committed suicide. The "suicide watch" meme just got revitalized in DB talk with the recent Broly news. Kinda fresh in the mind, so pardon me. :P
Favorite anime -
Naruto Shippuden
Dragon Ball Z Kai
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)
Watchmen (2009)
Man of Steel (2013)
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
Wonder Woman (2017)
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

User avatar
Arian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:52 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Arian » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:38 am

TheAldella wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
TheAldella wrote:If this doesn't go through, I just hope that nobody in this thread has to go on suicide watch lmao
I know you probably mean well, but suicide is no joke, dude.
I understand what you mean. My father committed suicide. The "suicide watch" meme just got revitalized in DB talk with the recent Broly news. Kinda fresh in the mind, so pardon me. :P
Wow, things got too real too quick! XD

For what it's worth, I'm sorry to hear that. And I personally didn't see anything wrong with what you said in the first place. It's common to reference suicide when something upsetting happens, it's called exaggerating.

But I digress...
Go follow my good friend and talented DB artist, Rice Lover right now!: https://twitter.com/ricelover112

Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm
Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

User avatar
MistaL
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:28 pm
Location: Ontario

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by MistaL » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:07 am

Arian wrote:
TheAldella wrote:
Robo4900 wrote: I know you probably mean well, but suicide is no joke, dude.
I understand what you mean. My father committed suicide. The "suicide watch" meme just got revitalized in DB talk with the recent Broly news. Kinda fresh in the mind, so pardon me. :P
Wow, things got too real too quick! XD

For what it's worth, I'm sorry to hear that. And I personally didn't see anything wrong with what you said in the first place. It's common to reference suicide when something upsetting happens, it's called exaggerating.

But I digress...
Yeah I'm with Arian here, it's more of just a figure of speech at this point than actually being literal.
Anyway, this isn't the place for that subject. Let's move on.

User avatar
TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 916
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:03 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by TheAldella » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:12 am

Arian wrote:Wow, things got too real too quick! XD

For what it's worth, I'm sorry to hear that. And I personally didn't see anything wrong with what you said in the first place. It's common to reference suicide when something upsetting happens, it's called exaggerating.

But I digress...
Oh, it's my boi Arian. Glad to see you're doing well. :thumbup:
Favorite anime -
Naruto Shippuden
Dragon Ball Z Kai
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)
Watchmen (2009)
Man of Steel (2013)
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
Wonder Woman (2017)
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2728
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:15 am

Sometimes I'm kinda concerned if McNeil is going to sound like this in Kai:
https://twitter.com/SuperSlayer4690/sta ... 1891223552
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
Attitudefan
I Live Here
Posts: 2963
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:51 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:35 am

Congrats guys. I pray this will go through! Amazing what fans getting together can do and push things forward! Awesome.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

User avatar
MistaL
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:28 pm
Location: Ontario

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by MistaL » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:51 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:Sometimes I'm kinda concerned if McNeil is going to sound like this in Kai:
https://twitter.com/SuperSlayer4690/sta ... 1891223552
I'd be totally down with him sounding like this when he does the Makankousappou, but I hope his Piccolo doesn't sound like this when just speaking normally in Kai.

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2728
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:54 am

MistaL wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Sometimes I'm kinda concerned if McNeil is going to sound like this in Kai:
https://twitter.com/SuperSlayer4690/sta ... 1891223552
I'd be totally down with him sounding like this when he does the Makankousappou, but I hope his Piccolo doesn't sound like this when just speaking normally in Kai.
Yeah, he should tone down the roughness.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:03 pm
Location: Kilmarnock, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by SX10 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:00 am

MistaL wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Sometimes I'm kinda concerned if McNeil is going to sound like this in Kai:
https://twitter.com/SuperSlayer4690/sta ... 1891223552
I'd be totally down with him sounding like this when he does the Makankousappou, but I hope his Piccolo doesn't sound like this when just speaking normally in Kai.
I'm sure there'll be a difference, the setting is entirely different from sitting down in a booth, about to act for your paid role. I don't think they go all out at cons. The special beam cannon was awwww some :D
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

User avatar
SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:03 pm
Location: Kilmarnock, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by SX10 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:33 am

Update:

"Thank you for the introduction, Sam.

Hello, Marni

I believe you are already in touch with Ken Morrison from Ocean studio. What they have is Dragon Ball Z kai #1- through #98 with Canadian dub. The series is up to #167 but the rest is all Funimation dub, so I am sure you are not interested. Also, Ocean version is not HD, that is my only concern. We tested to make it HD, so you may want to check the quality standard is met with your network. We do have in Funimation version which is dubbed in USA, but we can offer you up to #167 to complete the series.

Please let me know your interest level.

Best,

Lisa"


Lisa included me in this. Seems she is trying to upset Marni to the Funimation dub but Marni would surely go for the Ocean Dub right!? I don't believe their new channel will be HD. Even at that she did say they are testing it at HD.

I'm on it, don't worry too much.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

User avatar
Ajay
Moderator
Posts: 6156
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Ajay » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:58 am

I guess just remind Marni that the big selling point of the Ocean version is that it's never been seen before, while the Funimation version has already been broadcast, and released on home video. It stops being this 'special event' if it's anything but the Ocean version. Maybe bring up the continued popularity and Dragon Ball associations the likes of Scott McNeil and Brian Drummond still have. Their con presence is huge. The market's there in the hardcore fandom, and the younger viewers won't care either way.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

User avatar
MistaL
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:28 pm
Location: Ontario

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by MistaL » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:13 am

Yeah, please try and remind Marni that what everyone wants is the Ocean dub. That email Lisa sent is incredibly worrying, and I'm guessing a similar tactic to what was used here is probably how the UK ended up with the FUNi dub on air as well.

Agh, damn it, I went from hopeful and confident beyond belief to just completely sunken down with worry.

User avatar
MistaL
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:28 pm
Location: Ontario

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by MistaL » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:18 am

Also the Nicktoons version was only in standard definition as well, right? If so then this probably further proves that the Ocean credits in that version were definitely because they shared the same video source.

Though if Toei goes through with putting the Ocean dub onto HD footage, that'd be cool as then we may actually see it uncut if Wow! is willing to air it that way.

Another thing I've noticed is that Lisa made no mention of an original Canadian-produced score for the Ocean dub. Maybe Marni will have a choice in that, as it wouldn't be totally inconceivable that a version with the Japanese score intact may have been produced for the UK after failed attempts to find a Canadian network for the dub.

Post Reply