Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 4095
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:10 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I don't know if I would say his Vegeta is as good as Drummond's. His screams aren't that good. In all honesty, I prefer him as Piccolo.

I think he's a better VA when he's not forcing his voice like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LlHXRZxt5Q

Seriously, he sounds utterly ridiculous while the other VA's sound much more natural.
Sabat is not as good an actor as Drummond in general, but Sabat has still had 20 years to master the role of Vegeta, and while it did take him a long time, he eventually did with Kai at least. I personally prefer Drummond, but Sabat has earned his street cred, he's massively well-liked in the role, I really think he has done a great job at least in Kai... At the very least, he's accomplished the herculean task of providing the English-speaking world with a third definitive Vegeta(The other two, naturally, being Drummond and Horikawa), which is certainly not nothing...

I honestly find his Piccolo underwhelming. I can see why others like it, but to me, he's just not got the demonic vibes I think are necessary to give a truly great Piccolo. I'm glad he's discarded the awful ogre sound he gave Piccolo back in the Z days, but it does end up leaving him as basically a purely zen take on Piccolo, which... Well... It's a valid take, but I've always thought it paled in comparison to McNeil and Furukawa.
Still, to each their own. After all, I'm one to talk about odd takes, given I'm a big fan of Lex Lang, Kirby Morrow, and Jeremiah Yurk as Goku. ;)
WittyUsername wrote:The Westwood dub in general isn’t exactly known to be a high point for the Ocean voice cast. A lot of it was a rush job. I will say this, though, they did handle Killa everything significantly better than FUNimation did.
FTFY. ;)

(Though, on your actual point there, I will note that you can only really go up from an utterly unfunny, highly uncomfortable, and probably racist overly-long joke)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 3144
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:31 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:The Westwood dub in general isn’t exactly known to be a high point for the Ocean voice cast. A lot of it was a rush job. I will say this, though, they did handle Killa everything significantly better than FUNimation did.
FTFY. ;)

(Though, on your actual point there, I will note that you can only really go up from an utterly unfunny, highly uncomfortable, and probably racist overly-long joke)
I can’t really say that it did everthing better. I definitely prefer how FUNimation handled characters like Trunks, Cell, Babidi, and Dabura, and I’d honestly take Faulconer’s score over the Westwood score.

Regarding Killa, I don’t think it was intended to be a race thing, given that FUNimation is the same company that did their best to make Mr. Popo something other than a racial stereotype. FUNimation in general had a tendency to give minor characters these really wacky voices, so Killa was most likely just another example of that, and it was a stupid decision.

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2728
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:37 pm

You... like Jeremiah Yurk's Goku, Robo?

I don't really think Funimation did Trunks better than Ocean. Both Vale and Abell were awful in the role. Vale isn't as bad as he used to be nowadays, but he still leaves a lot to be desired.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 4095
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:42 pm

WittyUsername wrote:I can’t really say that it did everthing better. I definitely prefer how FUNimation handled characters like Trunks, Cell, Babidi, and Dabura, and I’d honestly take Faulconer’s score over the Westwood score.
Eh, fair enough... I personally find the crap acting and direction of Funi's dub impossible to get over, and honestly I'll take the somewhat repetitive but well-produced Westwood score any day over the overblown, edgy, blaring variety of 99% unmemorable tracks the Faulconer score used to totally screw all sense of tone and subtlety in the show and to help you not notice how bad the acting is... :lol:
WittyUsername wrote:Regarding Killa, I don’t think it was intended to be a race thing, given that FUNimation is the same company that did their best to make Mr. Popo something other than a racial stereotype. FUNimation in general had a tendency to give minor characters these really wacky voices, so Killa was most likely just another example of that, and it was a stupid decision.
I'm sure Killa wasn't intentionally racist, but in hindsight, it kind of comes off that way... IDK, even if it's not racist, it's still really stupid and unfunny.

As for Mr. Popo, to be fair they were just keeping consistency with the adaptational changes the Ocean scripting team had done in the Saban days.
8000 Saiyan wrote:You... like Jeremiah Yurk's Goku, Robo?
Yes. He's not outstanding in the role, but he's fine, and I think he did well with the material he was given. He kind of had a slightly older-sounding Kirby Morrow type vibe to him. I thought he was a good choice for GT-era Goku.
8000 Saiyan wrote:I don't really think Funimation did Trunks better than Ocean. Both Vale and Abell were awful in the role. Vale isn't as bad as he used to be nowadays, but he still leaves a lot to be desired.
I liked Abell. He was an odd choice, but I really like the sort of strange future warrior mystical knight tortured soul vibes he gives off... He sounds very clearly like someone who's been forced to grow up fast to survive in his future, and he's dealt with some crap, and now he's using his last chance to hopefully bring an end to the suffering... As I say, he's like a mystical knight or something.
It's an odd choice, but at least it's a unique take that kind of works for what it is IMO... Vale just straight sucks in Z; he's king of just a bland, overly-raspy "Teenager" voice that really has no subtlety or anything to the performance... It's just... Bland...
Last edited by Robo4900 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 3144
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:45 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I don't really think Funimation did Trunks better than Ocean. Both Vale and Abell were awful in the role. Vale isn't as bad as he used to be nowadays, but he still leaves a lot to be desired.
I found Vale more believable in the role than Abell. His delivery wasn’t always the best, but it usually sounded more natural than Abell’s. Plus, while the scene was somewhat ruined by all the unnecessary dialogue that was added in, Vale did a pretty solid job in the scene in the Trunks special where Trunks went Super Saiyan for the first time.

User avatar
Attitudefan
I Live Here
Posts: 2963
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:51 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:21 am

On the post with YTV, it goes to show that I was correct all along. One of my first posts on this forum, in this thread, back in 2010, I said anime is a but disregarded as trash in Canada. Essentially it is true. Without the internet, anime would most likely never make it here again. Luckily, the internet allows for Dragon Ball and other animated shows (Japan or not) to still maintain a decently sized following - in turn helps home sales etc.

A shame great works of entertainment is trashed but "reality" tv and its ilk remain. Sad.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

User avatar
Arian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:52 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Arian » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:33 am

Attitudefan wrote:On the post with YTV, it goes to show that I was correct all along. One of my first posts on this forum, in this thread, back in 2010, I said anime is a but disregarded as trash in Canada. Essentially it is true. Without the internet, anime would most likely never make it here again. Luckily, the internet allows for Dragon Ball and other animated shows (Japan or not) to still maintain a decently sized following - in turn helps home sales etc.

A shame great works of entertainment is trashed but "reality" tv and its ilk remain. Sad.
Nice Donald Trump impression. XDD

But no dude, I totally agree with you. The Canadian TV market has been in turmoil for a decade now because the broadcasters don't care anymore.

I'm telling all of you though, Wow TV is going to undo all of that. Just gotta hold tight for a launch date.
Go follow my good friend and talented DB artist, Rice Lover right now!: https://twitter.com/ricelover112

Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm
Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here
Posts: 2077
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare / Sligo, Ireland

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:39 am

Arian wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:On the post with YTV, it goes to show that I was correct all along. One of my first posts on this forum, in this thread, back in 2010, I said anime is a but disregarded as trash in Canada. Essentially it is true. Without the internet, anime would most likely never make it here again. Luckily, the internet allows for Dragon Ball and other animated shows (Japan or not) to still maintain a decently sized following - in turn helps home sales etc.

A shame great works of entertainment is trashed but "reality" tv and its ilk remain. Sad.
Nice Donald Trump impression. XDD

But no dude, I totally agree with you. The Canadian TV market has been in turmoil for a decade now because the broadcasters don't care anymore.

I'm telling all of you though, Wow TV is going to undo all of that. Just gotta hold tight for a launch date.
Might be ironically fitting but when the channel launches we can start calling it "Wow Good TV".
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single
- any of the Bridge Ent DVDs containing the Big Green dubs

If interested PM with offers

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2728
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:47 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Yes. He's not outstanding in the role, but he's fine, and I think he did well with the material he was given. He kind of had a slightly older-sounding Kirby Morrow type vibe to him. I thought he was a good choice for GT-era Goku.
Robo4900 wrote:I liked Abell. He was an odd choice, but I really like the sort of strange future warrior mystical knight tortured soul vibes he gives off... He sounds very clearly like someone who's been forced to grow up fast to survive in his future, and he's dealt with some crap, and now he's using his last chance to hopefully bring an end to the suffering... As I say, he's like a mystical knight or something.
It's an odd choice, but at least it's a unique take that kind of works for what it is IMO... Vale just straight sucks in Z; he's king of just a bland, overly-raspy "Teenager" voice that really has no subtlety or anything to the performance... It's just... Bland...
Whatever floats your boat, pal.

While this lady isn't around anymore in Vancouver, think she could have worked as Videl?
https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/tv ... ane-Tendo/
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 4095
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:21 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Whatever floats your bloat, pal.
Hehe. Well, y'know what they say -- opinions are like armpits, everyone has 'em and they all stink!
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2728
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:01 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Whatever floats your bloat, pal.
Hehe. Well, y'know what they say -- opinions are like armpits, everyone has 'em and they all stink!
So, did you check out the voice for that character from Ranma 1/2 I just linked to you? If not, click on Myriam Sirois' clip.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2728
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:21 pm

NitroEX wrote:Seems like a miscast to me. Jillian Micheals is probably the best English Goten voice we'll ever get but that's just my opinion.
If she had the direction from the dubs of the first three movies, then she would have been without a doubt the best one.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 4095
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:00 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Whatever floats your bloat, pal.
Hehe. Well, y'know what they say -- opinions are like armpits, everyone has 'em and they all stink!
So, did you check out the voice for that character from Ranma 1/2 I just linked to you? If not, click on Myriam Sirois' clip.
IDK. I'm not sure any of us can really predict what the castings will be like in Kai, because the Vancouver pool is so wide and varied... IDK.

Having said that, that voice as-is from that sample doesn't sound very Videl-esque to me tbh. Though who knows, it could end up working out if she performed it differently. IDK. Who knows.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2728
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:32 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Robo4900 wrote: Hehe. Well, y'know what they say -- opinions are like armpits, everyone has 'em and they all stink!
So, did you check out the voice for that character from Ranma 1/2 I just linked to you? If not, click on Myriam Sirois' clip.
IDK. I'm not sure any of us can really predict what the castings will be like in Kai, because the Vancouver pool is so wide and varied... IDK.

Having said that, that voice as-is from that sample doesn't sound very Videl-esque to me tbh. Though who knows, it could end up working out if she performed it differently. IDK. Who knows.
What makes you think it doesn't sound Videl-esque?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
MistaL
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:28 pm
Location: Ontario

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by MistaL » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:28 pm

Oh hey, I just realized who Cole Howard is. He's doing 17? I remember watching this anime called Deltora Quest when I was like 12 and the dub was uh, not great. He voiced the main character in that. Strangely that dub was also directed by Karl Willems, and it's probably the only really bad dub he's directed.

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2728
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:29 pm

His Escaflowne dub was not very good either. How I wish they had redubbed it.

But no, Funimation just had to do the redub. Damn them. Damn them all to hell. :x :x :x :x :x :x
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 4095
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:33 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:His Escaflowne dub was not very good either. How I wish they had redubbed it.

But no, Funimation just had to do the redub. Damn them. Damn them all to hell. :x :x :x :x :x :x
I haven't seen the show, but I heard Escaflowne's original dub wasn't that bad, it was just that the TV cut of it was utterly awful(Skipped episodes, replaced music, etc.). Apparently the uncut version was fine, though...? As I understand it, Funi played into the hate for the TV cut to get the crowdfunding for their dub, and then when it was funded announced they'd be using an in-house cast, and in the end, it wasn't actually that much better...?

Still, regardless, Funi snubbing Ocean on Escaflowne was awful either way.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2728
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:40 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:His Escaflowne dub was not very good either. How I wish they had redubbed it.

But no, Funimation just had to do the redub. Damn them. Damn them all to hell. :x :x :x :x :x :x
I haven't seen the show, but I heard Escaflowne's original dub wasn't that bad, it was just that the TV cut of it was utterly awful(Skipped episodes, replaced music, etc.). Apparently the uncut version was fine...?

Still, regardless, Funi snubbing Ocean on Escaflowne was awful either way.
I guess that Funimation's die-hard fans don't mind them getting the show because they think they should dub everything and they can do no wrong.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 4095
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:07 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:His Escaflowne dub was not very good either. How I wish they had redubbed it.

But no, Funimation just had to do the redub. Damn them. Damn them all to hell. :x :x :x :x :x :x
I haven't seen the show, but I heard Escaflowne's original dub wasn't that bad, it was just that the TV cut of it was utterly awful(Skipped episodes, replaced music, etc.). Apparently the uncut version was fine...?

Still, regardless, Funi snubbing Ocean on Escaflowne was awful either way.
I guess that Funimation's die-hard fans don't mind them getting the show because they think they should dub everything and they can do no wrong.
Now y'see, there's nothing wrong with liking Funimation and hoping they continue to get work, but hoping they overpower every other dubbing studio is just kind of mean to all the other talented actors who work really hard on anime dubbing... If Funimation were the only studio doing dubbing, we'd have never got the Cowboy Bebop dub we did...

Being a fan of something is one thing, but wanting other things to be snubbed in favour of the thing you like is taking it too far...
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2728
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:28 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Robo4900 wrote: I haven't seen the show, but I heard Escaflowne's original dub wasn't that bad, it was just that the TV cut of it was utterly awful(Skipped episodes, replaced music, etc.). Apparently the uncut version was fine...?

Still, regardless, Funi snubbing Ocean on Escaflowne was awful either way.
I guess that Funimation's die-hard fans don't mind them getting the show because they think they should dub everything and they can do no wrong.
Now y'see, there's nothing wrong with liking Funimation and hoping they continue to get work, but hoping they overpower every other dubbing studio is just kind of mean to all the other talented actors who work really hard on anime dubbing... If Funimation were the only studio doing dubbing, we'd have never got the Cowboy Bebop dub we did...

Being a fan of something is one thing, but wanting other things to be snubbed in favour of the thing you like is taking it too far...
One of the biggest fans of the Funimation cast (the guy who said that Drummond and McNeil needed to sound heroic later on as Vegeta and Piccolo) on this forum once said that the creation of Funimation allowed for the diversity of dub cast options and for great talents to do anime.

I'd like to wonder if he loves Funimation dubbing everything or if he doesn't like it that they dub most of the anime in America.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Post Reply