Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by TheAldella » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:28 am

I can think of several crimes I would commit to get Jim Conrad back...
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:01 am

This piece of news just gets my excitement levels back up and running! I really hope Wow are taking their time to make the channel successful, but good lord please hurrrrryyyyyyy.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:26 pm

Yeah would have loved to have Jim Conrad back as the narrator. Quite liked his work on the Blue Water dubs. It got you hyped but not in an overly cheesy Dale Kelly way (not that that's a bad thing but I do want this dub to have a less hammy approach like Funi Kai), still going to be good to hear him again regardless.

Bit disappointed were waiting even longer than expected now, but hopefully the dub will be worth it.

Particularly now that we know Scott McNeil will be a guest at Kameha Con 2, an April launch for Wow would have been a good time for Scott and Brian to promote Kai as it debuts on Canadian TV, but hopefully we get another Icons interview where he can tease Geekdom about it being too awesome :D .

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:44 pm

I'm sure Jim Conrad never narrated the Blue Water dubs. That was Steve Olson. He only narrated the BLT dub.

It's pretty cool that Scott McNeil is going to Kamehacon. He's always a blast.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:04 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:44 pm I'm sure Jim Conrad never narrated the Blue Water dubs. That was Steve Olson. He only narrated the BLT dub.

It's pretty cool that Scott McNeil is going to Kamehacon. He's always a blast.
My bad, it was Steve Olson. Still need to do a rewatch of both OG Dragon Ball dubs as my memory is fuzzy on parts.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:38 pm

SX10 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:01 am This piece of news just gets my excitement levels back up and running! I really hope Wow are taking their time to make the channel successful, but good lord please hurrrrryyyyyyy.
The moment this gets a release date fans will get ready to set their DVR/reminder to record this so that this dub will be preserved. I'd happily buy it on Blu-ray but that's not happening. :cry:

I'm really glad that Ocean didn't use the replacement Kikuchi score because listening to those repetitive tunes over and over again have made me detest those BGMs and, heck, I love Kikuchi's magnificent soundtracks. Shunsuke Kikuchi made so many for Japanese shows and movies but in the end it doesn't sound too different from his Dragon Ball BGMs, and that's not a bad thing. ^_^

Also, he composed for a show titled "Kiteretsu" (from the maker of Doraemon) and while in 2014 there was a "BGM Collection" CD planned, it was cancelled so that portion of his work might not ever be available outside of the episodes themselves. What a shame. Sigh. This reminds me, Dragon Ball Kai: Original Soundtrack Vol. IV never came out either (due to the Yamamoto scandal). I would have loved to hear Gohan's Kai Theme with pristine quality but nope, not possible.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:13 pm

When it comes to Scott McNeil, someone should ask him if for the later sagas of Kai, he made Piccolo sound less evil since that's some people's problem with his take on the character.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:49 am

I was so hoping he would either get nabbed for Kamehacon UK or Saiyacon. But it's looking less and less likely everyday.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:28 am

Is anyone actually planning on going to those conventions? I haven't made any plans yet but would definitely consider if enough of us were there for an Ocean dub fans meetup.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:40 am

Why did you stop halfway through t
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:04 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:28 am Is anyone actually planning on going to those conventions? I haven't made any plans yet but would definitely consider if enough of us were there for an Ocean dub fans meetup.
Peter Kelamis is going to Saiyacon, not to sound rude but I kinda feel like as a fan, I got everything I could want and more from the experience of meeting him last time. He's a great guy! McNeil was the draw for me in terms of getting my Ocean DVD's signed and mining his brain for info on Kai :(

God knows what is happening with Kamehacon UK.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:11 am

SX10 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:49 am I was so hoping he would either get nabbed for Kamehacon UK or Saiyacon. But it's looking less and less likely everyday.
I mean, Kamehacon UK has only announced one guest -- Sonny Strait -- so... I imagine it's not unlikely they're looking to book him, but for some reason, they're not announcing anyone as guests...
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:28 am Is anyone actually planning on going to those conventions? I haven't made any plans yet but would definitely consider if enough of us were there for an Ocean dub fans meetup.
I was talking to my buddies Nitro and Arian a while back, and they said if there are some good guests, they'd consider going. I'm kinda with them on that. If you and/or anyone else is going too, I'd love to meet up, assuming I end up going. :)

I haven't actually heard of Saiyacon, but looking into it... Maybe if the guests are better, it'd be a better choice than Kamehacon UK. Plus, they're far less likely than Kamehacon to decide to book a serial sexual harasser despite enormous protest from both the fans and the guests... >_>
SX10 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:04 am God knows what is happening with Kamehacon UK.
Yeah, it's pretty damn weird how little we've heard.
As I said just now, I'd love to go to meet up with some friends, meet some awesome guests... But so far, we've heard nothing aside from the Strait announcement. It's kinda weird given we're only a few months out from it.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:51 am

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:11 am
SX10 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:49 am I was so hoping he would either get nabbed for Kamehacon UK or Saiyacon. But it's looking less and less likely everyday.
I mean, Kamehacon UK has only announced one guest -- Sonny Strait -- so... I imagine it's not unlikely they're looking to book him, but for some reason, they're not announcing anyone as guests...
I was talking to my buddies Nitro and Arian a while back, and they said if there are some good guests, they'd consider going. I'm kinda with them on that. If you and/or anyone else is going too, I'd love to meet up, assuming I end up going. :)

I haven't actually heard of Saiyacon, but looking into it... Maybe if the guests are better, it'd be a better choice than Kamehacon UK. Plus, they're far less likely than Kamehacon to decide to book a serial sexual harasser despite enormous protest from both the fans and the guests... >_>
SX10 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:04 am God knows what is happening with Kamehacon UK.
Yeah, it's pretty damn weird how little we've heard.
As I said just now, I'd love to go to meet up with some friends, meet some awesome guests... But so far, we've heard nothing aside from the Strait announcement. It's kinda weird given we're only a few months out from it.
If they get him and I go along we should definitely meet up! And I completely agree about Kamehacons questionable taste in guests. At least the UK version stuck to their guns so far.

DragonBallFan
Temporarily Banned

Post by DragonBallFan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:11 am

SX10 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:04 am
Peter Kelamis is going to Saiyacon, not to sound rude but I kinda feel like as a fan, I got everything I could want and more from the experience of meeting him last time. He's a great guy! McNeil was the draw for me in terms of getting my Ocean DVD's signed and mining his brain for info on Kai :(

Lucky! He's also a lot more mature and professional than Sea- I mean Turles...

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:20 pm

Id love to meet the ocean cast and have them sign my Rock the Dragon Box. I met Drummond but sadly that was before I had the set

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:44 pm

DragonBallFan wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:11 am
SX10 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:04 am

Lucky! He's also a lot more mature and professional than Sea- I mean Turles...
You can also call him Goku Black.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:18 pm

Uhh, question, did anyone here who attended Kamehacon ask any of the Ocean cast about whether or not they recorded Kai?

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:24 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:18 pm Uhh, question, did anyone here who attended Kamehacon ask any of the Ocean cast about whether or not they recorded Kai?
Bruh.

If you haven't pieced it together like the rest of us have that the first 98 episodes of Kai Ocean dubbed are in the books, I don't know what more we can do.

In short, no, we don't need to ask them, I would just refer you to the CRTC page for the umpteenth time:

https://services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/CanrecL ... ist?F=2014 also, if you don't believe me.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:44 pm

GokuDaimao wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:24 pm
superfan2024 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:18 pm Uhh, question, did anyone here who attended Kamehacon ask any of the Ocean cast about whether or not they recorded Kai?
Bruh.

If you haven't pieced it together like the rest of us have that the first 98 episodes of Kai Ocean dubbed are in the books, I don't know what more we can do.

In short, no, we don't need to ask them, I would just refer you to the CRTC page for the umpteenth time:

https://services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/CanrecL ... ist?F=2014 also, if you don't believe me.
Listen, unlike you i'm just a casual when it comes to the devotion and immense search for the Kai Ocean Dub and I rarely look through this thread. My apologies for not being incredibly knowledgeable in this subject.

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:26 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:44 pm
GokuDaimao wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:24 pm
Bruh.

Listen, unlike you i'm just a casual when it comes to the devotion and immense search for the Kai Ocean Dub and I rarely look through this thread. My apologies for not being incredibly knowledgeable in this subject.
There's nothing wrong with being a casual fan, though I question that if you know about alternate dubs and whatnot. XP

I'm just suggesting that you go through this thread before bothering the voice actors with info we already have or incite others to. That's all.