Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed May 29, 2019 2:31 am

Robo4900 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:50 am As you say, this is thinking quite far ahead, but if anyone has any ideas on something we could do about trying to push for a Toonami UK revival with Ocean Kai having some presence on the network, it's probably something worth talking about while we wait for the Wow situation to move forward.
I'd love to see Toonami make a comeback in the UK and Ireland. It's been too long and it would be one of the few things that could get me excited for linear TV again. Sadly Toonami Aaia is no more so that might be discouraging for Turner, although thankfully it still seems to be doing well in the US. Not sure about Africa though. NitroEX mentioned the guy who helped launch Toonami in those regions, only problem is he doesn't appear reachable on social media, but if anyone knows a way to contact him or others at Turner/Cartoon Network UK do it. If you have some cash to spare maybe also support the local anime releases at theatres or on DVD/Blu-Ray to help show the demand is there. As Tesco say every little helps.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:36 pm

A Toonami UK comeback would be fantastic, but looking at the landscape of linear TV, especially with kid specific channels on satellite packages, I can't tell if things are vastly different from where they were just before DBZ aired here in the UK the first time, or if it's oddly similar. Let me explain: the current trend almost has an indy vibe, very strange and abstract concepts, while still exploring the very real emotions that our shows did, they are still funny and entertaining (although the mid-2000's were a major slump, I think). Back in the late 90's, looking at CN as it was, the concepts were fresh at the time, not quite as abstract and weird, but definitely had a rough edge, they had violence and jokes and characters you wouldn't see in today's shows, but a vanilla interface in comparison. When anime hit, you know DBZ fucked up my world, I think people were so ready for it. It was so different.

It seems like these channels have lowered the age of their target audiences a little and changed brand ever so slightly? Are today's younger audiences gonna feel the same as we did toward different kinds of anime enough to warrant a block of shows?

Personally, I say yes, because there's a lot of value to them and kids are willing to try new things, but the pessimistic side of me thinks it would struggle and take time to build a stronger following, especially with the strength of the streaming culture here in the UK. I myself don't have access to terrestrial TV in my own house and couldn't afford a Sky or Virgin package, so we're totally online based (I wish I did have Sky though, grew up with it & miss it). The situation may be different in Canada; WOW don't have to worry about appealing to an existing audience, they get to make it up from scratch from the word "go", so DBZK shouldn't feel out of place, it should be the norm.

TV officials seem a little too worried about streaming, I don't see traditional TV channels dying out for the same reason I don't see cinema dying out. The very nature of these mediums offer something unique to them that you won't get anywhere else. People like a variety of experiences as much as they enjoy convenience. Sure, streaming is the power to choose whatever you want, whenever, but I personally miss the comfortability of having that choice taken out of my hands; to be able to just tune into a constant stream of picture and sound and not have to think about it. At times. it's oddly comforting.

But to stay on topic with Ocean Kai - I REALLY hope Brian Drummond delivers, "It's over 8000!" in the same style as the original, "Over 9000" delivery! That would be perfect.

Also, anyone got any new info on this channel's air date at all?
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:18 pm

SX10 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:36 pm Also, anyone got any new info on this channel's air date at all?
It's probably not debuting on the 1st of June 2019. :mrgreen:

(The rest of your post is very interesting, but I don't have anything to add to it)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:17 pm

Omg I had a nice laugh with that joke.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:58 am

:lol: :lol: fingers crossed for September then.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:13 pm

The latest word from Wow was this statement in their MD&A, dated May 28th:
The Company intends to exercise its exclusive option to acquire the Broadcasting License from Bell Media on May 31, 2019,
and the License will be conveyed to the Company no later than August 30, 2019. Given the current dynamics around the cable
and satellite industry in Canada and the United States, the Company is focused on formulating a plan for the channel that will
be financially attractive.
No real news there.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:05 pm

At this point, I'm not sure if I'm eager to see this dub or not. A part of me thinks that it isn't going to air anyway.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:25 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:05 pm At this point, I'm not sure if I'm eager to see this dub or not. A part of me thinks that it isn't going to air anyway.
Waiting fr it is kinda like being in holiday or something. Right now I'm in my Terminator phase right now waiting on Dark Fate, haven't thought about Dragon Ball in a while. When news picks up again I'll be back here with everyone else.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:14 am

SX10 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:25 am
8000 Saiyan wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:05 pm At this point, I'm not sure if I'm eager to see this dub or not. A part of me thinks that it isn't going to air anyway.
Waiting fr it is kinda like being in holiday or something. Right now I'm in my Terminator phase right now waiting on Dark Fate, haven't thought about Dragon Ball in a while. When news picks up again I'll be back here with everyone else.
You're excited for Terminator Dark Fate? I for one, think they should have ended the franchise with the second movie.

I'm also kind of in a point where I don't really care for dubs anymore. I find it ridiculous that some people refuse to watch anime in it's original format because it's in subtitles or that a Western-styled anime means that it's much better dubbed. Why anyone would not want to watch something in its original format is something I'll never understand.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:13 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:14 am
SX10 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:25 am
You're excited for Terminator Dark Fate? I for one, think they should have ended the franchise with the second movie.

I'm also kind of in a point where I don't really care for dubs anymore. I find it ridiculous that some people refuse to watch anime in it's original format because it's in subtitles or that a Western-styled anime means that it's much better dubbed. Why anyone would not want to watch something in its original format is something I'll never understand.
Huuuge Terminator fan (the first is my favourite). I agree, perhaps T2 should have been the end but nobody seems to be stopping them, and with James Cameron and Linda Hamilton involved I'm pretty excited for it (plus I really trust Tim Miller).

I get what you're saying, but that's just not the world we live in sadly. I personally don't mind subtitles, but dubs do have the advantage of just being able to sit back and focus on the visual without focusing on text too. I like what Richard Ian Cox had to say about it, all anime is technically dubbed, apparently Japanese VAs have to dub their performance to the image just like any other language cast so no big deal.

To me what's important is keeping the integrity of the script/ lines and tones between the dubs.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:32 am

Portugal, a country of 10 million people, always watch foreign movies/tv shows with subtitles, and they seem to be perfectly capable to focus on what they're watching along with the text, so I fail to see why most of the English-speaking population would have a hard time doing that.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:59 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:14 am I'm also kind of in a point where I don't really care for dubs anymore. I find it ridiculous that some people refuse to watch anime in it's original format because it's in subtitles or that a Western-styled anime means that it's much better dubbed. Why anyone would not want to watch something in its original format is something I'll never understand.
It's not about refusing to watch the original. At this point, any existing Dragon Ball fans will have already seen Z and/or Kai in one version or another a multitude of times, so it's not about that. It's about having another set of performances, another group of actors taking on the job. In this case, including some well-liked castings in those roles taking another swing at it, with better direction, a greater knowledge of the characters, better scripting, etc...

As far as existing fans are concerned, it's not here to replace the original version, it's a supplement to it; a new take on the old material for us to enjoy. And, of course, part of that will be the new soundtrack; the Yamamoto and Kikuchi soundtracks both have reasons many could hate them, so having a third soundtrack is a real boon for Kai to get. But, it's not replacing either of the previous ones; as I say, it's a supplement. If you want it, you can go for it, but if you're not interested, no one's going to push you into it.

Personally, I've always really enjoyed the Ocean castings, and much as the Japanese version is the definitive, original version, if I can watch Dragon Ball media with the Ocean voices, that'll be my favourite version. No disrespect or refusal to acknowledge the original intended, just a love of the Ocean actors, their performances, their takes on the characters, etc.

And, honestly, this'll probably be a great version for Canadian kids to get into as new fans; great performances by experienced actors (let's face it, that's a given at this point), a faithful approach to the source material (we know this from various accounts), a soundtrack that isn't plagiarised or awful (yes, some are crying foul and saying it could be awful; realistically, it'll probably be perfectly serviceable but not outstanding), and most importantly Dragon Ball will finally, once again be on a network explicitly aimed at kids and teens, not hidden away in some niche block or streaming service that only existing, adult fans would really know to go for.
American kids got this for a while on NickToons, now it's time for Canadian kids to get it on Wow. :)

(Yes, I know people give the NickToons edit shit; I submit to you that those people are manbabies who'd rather complain about the TV version rather than calmly accept that the uncut version is available to all on home video if the edits bother you. For many parents, it's nice to know what's airing on TV is a rather well-edited version that tones down the worst of the violence and removes some of the worse Master Roshi moments, all in a way that'll be seamless to someone unfamiliar with the uncut version. Not sure many parents would be happy to let little Jimmy see Cell drink a guy in that horrifying, gruesome way you see in the uncut version)
SX10 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:13 am I personally don't mind subtitles, but dubs do have the advantage of just being able to sit back and focus on the visual without focusing on text too. I like what Richard Ian Cox had to say about it, all anime is technically dubbed, apparently Japanese VAs have to dub their performance to the image just like any other language cast so no big deal.

To me what's important is keeping the integrity of the script/ lines and tones between the dubs.
Also yes, this. Honestly, if a dub is good, I'll usually prefer to watch it that way. The Japanese version is the primary, original version, but if the dub is good, then it is easier to watch -- takes less mental energy -- and easier to pay attention to the visuals, and I think you can pick up a lot more of the subtleties of a voice performance in a language you can understand.
8000 Saiyan wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:32 am Portugal, a country of 10 million people, always watch foreign movies/tv shows with subtitles, and they seem to be perfectly capable to focus on what they're watching along with the text, so I fail to see why most of the English-speaking population would have a hard time doing that.
Most of the English population have no trouble with that. It's just that al ot of people prefer dubbed, for precisely the reasons outlined above. There's no hate for subs, just a general preference for dubs.

Ultimately, unless a dub is not well done, a dub will generally be a perfectly fine way to watch a show, anyway.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:36 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:14 amI'm also kind of in a point where I don't really care for dubs anymore. I find it ridiculous that some people refuse to watch anime in it's original format because it's in subtitles or that a Western-styled anime means that it's much better dubbed. Why anyone would not want to watch something in its original format is something I'll never understand.
I understand that dubs aren't for everyone, and the frustration over other people not being willing to watch something with subtitles, but as far as I'm concerned both exist for good reason. Dubs are a great introduction to foreign genres like anime for people with disabilities, and in general its no harm to have the option available if you want to rewatch a series or movie but experience it in a new way. Dubs achieve this wonderfully by giving the viewer an opportunity to take in the visuals while not having to worry about reading the whole way through.

I really don't see dubs as a replacement for watching the original version, but more, like Robo4900 said a supplement to it. In many cases that means being exposed to a second set of talented voice actors, and in the case of this Kai dub a (hopefully) decent new musical score. The Ocean cast are still well liked by the Dragon Ball fanbase so why not hear them have another shot after all this time? I don't expect everyone to give dubs a chance, but if they are well made there's really no harm in them existing.
8000 Saiyan wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:32 am Portugal, a country of 10 million people, always watch foreign movies/tv shows with subtitles, and they seem to be perfectly capable to focus on what they're watching along with the text, so I fail to see why most of the English-speaking population would have a hard time doing that.
Has there been any studies to prove this? I'm not familiar with Portuguese viewing habits, but I'm sure that there are plenty of Portuguese who like to enjoy foreign content such as anime dubbed just like English speakers. Again, it's not a replacement for the original version, but a supplement and a new way of experiencing it. Hell you'll find fans of the Portuguese Dragon Ball dubs on this very site. I'm sure plenty of them watch those and still have no problem enjoying the Japanese version as well.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:50 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:36 pmAlso, has there been any studies to prove this? I'm not familiar with Portuguese viewing habits, but I'm sure that there are plenty of Portuguese who like to enjoy foreign content such as anime dubbed just like English speakers. Again, it's not a replacement for the original version, but a supplement and a new way of experiencing it.
I don't have any formal studies to point you to, regretfully, but from reading Wikipedia articles on dubbing (which, yeah, I know, it's Wikipedia...so, take it for what it's worth) along with some dubbing documentaries and talking to other Kanzensuu members, it appears as though the attitude that people have towards dubbing varies wildly from country to country.

In Norway, for example, dubbing is apparently viewed as something that's done pretty much exclusively for children who haven't learned to read (and thus, can't read subtitles) yet. So, Norwegians often find the idea of adults wanting to watch something dubbed to be odd and immature. Conversely, in Latin America, dubbing actors, while not as highly-revered as movie and TV stars, are definitely more revered than they are in the English-speaking world, with some of those countries even having academy award nominations for the best dub performance.

For that matter, let's take a look at Japan. As many will note, the lip movements in anime, while (usually) not...horrifically off...can be a little off-sync at times from the performance of the Japanese voice actors. Turns out, the reason for that has a little bit to do with the history of dubbing in Japan. I was told that the reason for that is because Japan is very much accustomed to receiving dubbed materials from around the world, and as such, are used to the lip movements not being fully in sync with the audio. So, when the mouth animation of characters in an anime and the audio of the actors portraying those characters is a little off...there's just this general cultural understanding that that's how animation works in Japan, and Japanese viewers aren't bothered by it.

So, I can't tell you how Portugal feels, but there's a wide range of opinions on how "childish" it is to watch a dub depending on which country you're talking about.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:03 pm

It's actually really simple. The majority of content English speakers consume is English in origin. The international sale of Hollywood films dwarf any foreign goods sold in the English world, for example. Reading subtitles is not nearly as ingrained because we haven't been forced to do that.

European Portuguese have to deal with the fact that their country isn't very populous. It cannot financially support dubbing nearly everything and the alternative would be to import Brazilian productions of questionable relevancy. So reading subtitles would be more ingrained.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:15 am

The UK TV channel Pop is airing Funi's Super dub.

They're owned by Sony, so this makes sense, and it's unlikely they'd air any alternate dubs, but I'm gonna throw them an email anyway and ask them if they'd consider airing Bang Zoom's instead, and I'll try to squeeze in a mention of Ocean's Kai dub too.
I know it's probably pointless, but we lose nothing by trying, so might aswell, right?

info@popfun.co.uk is their contact email, in case anyone else wants to join me in this. If you do; be courteous, remember that they're currently just gearing up to air Super, and above all, be concise. :)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:26 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:15 am The UK TV channel Pop is airing Funi's Super dub.

They're owned by Sony, so this makes sense, and it's unlikely they'd air any alternate dubs, but I'm gonna throw them an email anyway and ask them if they'd consider airing Bang Zoom's instead, and I'll try to squeeze in a mention of Ocean's Kai dub too.
I know it's probably pointless, but we lose nothing by trying, so might aswell, right?

info@popfun.co.uk is their contact email, in case anyone else wants to join me in this. If you do; be courteous, remember that they're currently just gearing up to air Super, and above all, be concise. :)
It wouldn't hurt to send them an email, but I wouldn't expect any miracles. It's a shame ratings for the original UK airings don't seem to be available because if someone could track them down they could be useful as evidence of how well Dragon Ball performed on CNX and Toonami UK despite switching dubs, and a case could potentially be made for how airing Ocean Kai and Funi Super wouldn't be such a bad idea.

On that note I find it interesting Pop Max (who are Kix rebranded) is jumping straight from Kai 1.0 to Super. It may be a sign that there is no edited dub for The Final Chapters, which Ocean may dub edited if their Kai 1.0 dub does well on Kix. That would make an Ocean dub more enticing in the future as there will be a readily available edited version if Pop ever wants to reair it.

Again, I wouldn't expect any miracles, but hey stranger things have happened in this franchise's UK broadcasts, so why not throw some ideas around?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:58 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:26 pm
On that note I find it interesting Pop Max (who are Kix rebranded) is jumping straight from Kai 1.0 to Super. It may be a sign that there is no edited dub for The Final Chapters, which Ocean may dub edited if their Kai 1.0 dub does well on Kix. That would make an Ocean dub more enticing in the future as there will be a readily available edited version if Pop ever wants to reair it.
Back in 2018, I had the opportunity to ask Chris Sabat at a local con if an edited TFC dub exists and he told me that they always record an edited version. Granted, this doesn't necessarily mean that they have the toned down takes mastered into an alternate audio and video track and ready to air, but at the very least this means they could air an edited version of the Boo arc if they really wanted to.

I honestly think the real issue is timing - by the time TFC was gearing up for its American broadcast, Super was the new hotness. The same principle applies to Pop in the UK, except they didn't have the benefit of just wrapping up the Cell arc that previous month like Toonami did (which probably kept Kai fresh enough in the audience's minds to justify it airing alongside Super). With that in mind, it makes sense that Pop just jumped to the newest and shiniest DB series. Maybe if Super does well enough they'll go back and air Kai in its entirety. I'd definitely appreciate it since an edited dub of the Boo arc is something I'm highly interested in.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:49 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:36 pm I really don't see dubs as a replacement for watching the original version, but more, like Robo4900 said a supplement to it. In many cases that means being exposed to a second set of talented voice actors, and in the case of this Kai dub a (hopefully) decent new musical score. The Ocean cast are still well liked by the Dragon Ball fanbase so why not hear them have another shot after all this time? I don't expect everyone to give dubs a chance, but if they are well made there's really no harm in them existing.
Whenever I hear people say that dubs of anime that take place on a Western setting are better suited than the Japanese, to me it seems like they're suggesting that they should supersede the original version. They say that it makes no sense for the characters of those Western settings to be speaking Japanese and that them speaking English makes more sense and it's more authentic. The dubs of both Fullmetal Alchemist series, Hellsing, Cowboy Bebop, Berserk and Black Lagoon are some examples of dubs that people consider to be better than the original, because they take place in Western like settings.

No matter how many times I try, I can't make sense of these arguments. Of course it doesn't make sense for those characters to be speaking in Japanese because it's a fucking anime. This is not real life we're talking about. One of the very first anime I saw had characters from other countries speaking Japanese and I was never bothered because it was an anime. Hell, there's a lot of war movies where you have characters from other countries speaking English and they don't speak their primary language.

If there's anything authentic about the dubs of Western-styled anime it's the acting, not the fact that they're speaking English. Those dubs of those shows I mentioned before are good, but they're not that good that I think they should replace the original versions. Besides, the original performances of those anime are just as good, if not better.

But that's just how I feel.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:33 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:36 pm I really don't see dubs as a replacement for watching the original version, but more, like Robo4900 said a supplement to it. In many cases that means being exposed to a second set of talented voice actors, and in the case of this Kai dub a (hopefully) decent new musical score. The Ocean cast are still well liked by the Dragon Ball fanbase so why not hear them have another shot after all this time? I don't expect everyone to give dubs a chance, but if they are well made there's really no harm in them existing.
I'll add something more for you to reply.

I would love for this dub to air. In fact, part of the reason I wanted it to air was to prove to a bunch of Funimation fans that the Ocean voice actors, particularly Drummond and McNeil could give genuine performances as these characters (a Funimation fan who told me that he never underestimated or questioned their talents was questioning the idea of having McNeil doing Piccolo in the Funi Kai dub because he sounded too evil when which doesn't make me buy the idea that he never underestimated the Ocean actors), but at the same time, I doubt it's ever going to air. If it somehow airs, I'll probably give the dub a chance.

Oh, and I also would like you to answer my other reply that I posted a few days ago.