Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:29 am

Tian wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:22 am
Robo4900 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:57 pm ... Honestly, I'm surprised the Animax DB dub hasn't surfaced in some form yet. You'd think at least one episode would've made it online by now. 153 episodes of a show like this, airing in like 2006?... It's quite surprising that we've seen nothing of it.
The following may sound as the weirdest thing and probably the most stupid I've written on these forums so far: I think the dub may be there but people are searching it in the wrong way. Since Animax Asia aired in several countries and several languages, I can suppose someone recorded this rare English dub but didn't upload it in an English speaking site but in an Asian language speaking site.

It happened to me once when I was looking for this rare alternate Latin Spanish dub of Asterix & Obelix vs. Caesar and I eventually found it on a... RUSSIAN STREAMING SITE.

So yeah, looking for it in another Asian languages like Malay, Filipino or Indonesian might help.
That sounds like a great idea.
Sadly, I have nothing I can contribute to help such an effort along, but if anyone here has the knowledge to carry out such a search, I would be willing to help out in any way I can. Even if that ultimately just amounts of moral support. :lol:
Tian wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:22 am Off-topic: Wow, how time flies for this thread. It started out when I was a 10 year old kid, I posted on it for the first time as a 16 year old teenager and now I'm quoting you as a 20 year old young adult.
Heh. Technically more on-topic than the rest of your post, arguably (or, indeed, my post). :P

But yeah, the time's really gone. We're all getting old! :lol:

Honestly, I have no doubt in my mind that this dub will see the light of day, but at this point... I think the form it'd take would be something like a DVD boxset, maybe as much as a decade or more from now. I doubt Funi would do anything of the sort these days, but if they have a major management change and/or if MangaUK or Madman or someone else like that decide to do something ambitious, Ocean Kai would be a great set for collectors. Certainly more appealing than that awful 30th anniversary set Funimation shat onto our doorsteps.
Though having said that, I think there is always the possibility of a random Canadian TV station deciding to pick it up too. We'll see.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:36 am

I'm surprised that this site had kids on it as it does not seem like a place they would flock towards. Anyways that's a great idea for searching for alternate dubs, I might just try that.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:01 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:29 am
Honestly, I have no doubt in my mind that this dub will see the light of day, but at this point... I think the form it'd take would be something like a DVD boxset, maybe as much as a decade or more from now. I doubt Funi would do anything of the sort these days, but if they have a major management change and/or if MangaUK or Madman or someone else like that decide to do something ambitious, Ocean Kai would be a great set for collectors. Certainly more appealing than that awful 30th anniversary set Funimation shat onto our doorsteps.
Though having said that, I think there is always the possibility of a random Canadian TV station deciding to pick it up too. We'll see.
I wish I had your optimism in general.

At this point no I don’t think it’s ever going to happen. It’s been “coming soon” for a decade now, the Funi Kai dub has long since aired in territories that might have aired the Ocean Kai. It just aint happening.

And yeah I know the first episode of the Harmony Gold dub has recently showed up 30 years later but that actually aired on television.

It would be nice to hear Saffron Henderson and Scott McNeil as Gohan and Piccolo again.

It would be nice to see if Brian Drummond uses his iconic Saturday Morning cartoon villain voice or something in the spirit of Ryo Horikawa (which we know he’s more than capable of)

It would be nice to see the Ocean cast finally get to tackle the rest of the Namek saga even in Kai form after Funimation robbed them of it with their incompetent business decisions.

But I aint holding my breath.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:25 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:01 pm At this point no I don’t think it’s ever going to happen. It’s been “coming soon” for a decade now, the Funi Kai dub has long since aired in territories that might have aired the Ocean Kai. It just aint happening.
The Funi Kai dub aired once in the UK, on Kix in 2011-2012, but no version of Kai has aired in Canada at all. And Funi Kai airing once on one channel in the UK doesn't suddenly mean no other channel will ever air the Ocean version; one version airing once doesn't put a moratorium on alternate versions, that's not at all how that works. The entire country didn't suddenly decide "We're a Funimation dub country now", one channel decided to air Funi's version.

And Turner UK's reps have outright said when asked that if a Turner channel (like Cartoon Network, or a revived Toonami, or whatever) were to air Kai, they'd seek out Ocean's version.
And not only did Wow TV in Canada show tons of interest in airing Kai (though the channel itself looks to be dead in the water), but emails sent to the channel Toon-A-Vision (which is on air right now, and is somewhat desperate for content, especially Canadian stuff) have been received with a lot of interest too.

We're FAR from out of hope.

To finish off... Yes, it has been "coming soon" for a decade now. But it's not been one place saying "It's coming!", it's been various places considering it and it not working out. The initial deal it was created for fell through, then no Canadian channel was interested in any anime at all, then no UK channel was interested in anime except for Kix (who chose a different dub than Turner had chosen when picking dubs to air on Toonami). Wow TV showed interest, but is a non-starter. Netflix are showing interest, but right negotiations are complicated, and Toei do not like streaming AT ALL. Toon-A-Vision are currently showing interest, and they're a TV channel that's already up-and-running...

We'll see.
Feel free to disagree with people saying it'll air for sure -- I probably am being too optimistic there -- but it's just as foolish to say it's not happening for sure. This is showbiz, relating to a popular TV show, as recorded by its most popular cast in the UK and Canada. I wouldn't dismiss its chances so readily.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:26 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:57 pm That sounds like a great idea.
Sadly, I have nothing I can contribute to help such an effort along, but if anyone here has the knowledge to carry out such a search, I would be willing to help out in any way I can. Even if that ultimately just amounts of moral support. :lol:

Yeah, it may be the wackiest idea to find a dub but it's worth a try.

Although... I just recalled there's also another way for those who can't or don't want to search in other languages: contacting Asians, specifically South East Asians and I know where to contact them... Reddit. Yeah, some people may think is a cesspool full of idiots but sometimes, it can be actually helpful.

In fact, thanks to it, I found out this interesting info about DB in some countries:
* In r/bulgaria, I've been told that they watched DB but not through a local TV station but in German on RTL II.
* In r/latvia, I've been told the same as r/bulgaria.
* in r/georgia, I've been told the series wasn't aired there but the videogames were sold, although they weren't easy to find.
* In r/slovenia, I've been told that besides watching their subbed version on POP TV, they also watched the Italian dub through Mediaset.
* In r/russia, I got confirmation that the series isn't really popular there.
* In r/ukraine, I've been told that DB apparently got aired there in a defunct channel called QTV.
Let's see if anyone from r/indonesia, r/malaysia and r/phillipines knows something about the Animax dub and if there's luck, owns recordings of the dub.
Planetnamek wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:36 am I'm surprised that this site had kids on it as it does not seem like a place they would flock towards. Anyways that's a great idea for searching for alternate dubs, I might just try that.
In my case, I signed up when I was 15 but before that, I had been a lurker of these forums about two years.

About the alternate dubs stuff, I'll try the Reddit thing first and then will look for it in Asian sites.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:10 pm

I had just been made redundant from Blockbuster when I found this place hahaha! And now, got 3 kids, like, holy shit, life has marched on.

I won't give up the faith in the dub being seen one way or another. Never.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:43 pm

SX10 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:10 pm I won't give up the faith in the dub being seen one way or another. Never.
Yeah, me too. We'll eventually see it. Either Wow's airing it or as result of a stormin' to Toei's North American division offices :lol:

damn
Beyond Newbie

Post by damn » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:15 pm

kei17 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:25 am
No, I think the very first English dub produced by Frontier Enterprises still remains the rarest.
I'd argue the (Albanian)dub from my home country(Kosovo) probably has to be the rarest dub of DB ever.
Premiered around the early 2000s(couldn't have been later than 2002). I think I remember only seeing the first 13 episodes(though I could be wrong) and they aired it on this channel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kohavision.
God knows what happened to it at this point. They never aired it again since then and I doubt it survived anyways.
All I remember is that it was based on the Japanese version so it had the original songs/music in Japanese and I remember that they mispronounced Son Goku(They spelled the "G" as the "J" in "Jeice" so it was more like "Joke-u").

I also remember that there was a some kind of tie-in where they sold puffed snacks with puzzle pieces inside them and if you collected them all you could win some sort of prize or something. I can't remember.
I remember the complete puzzle picture featured the whole original Dragon Ball cast standing in front of Kame House. I'd love to know which exact piece of artwork that was, if any of you knowledgeable experts can remember :P

A dub of Digimon Adventure was also airing in that same channel around the same time(or probably earlier than DB) and I remember that too was based on the original version and remember that they kept the original names(like for example they kept the name Taichi instead of changing it) since I doubt they even knew of the English dub(for reference the German dub was based on the Japanese version too but used the English dub names for whatever reason).

Same as DB they also had a tie-in game for Digimon but in the form of Panini Sticker Albums...except this one was earlier than DB's puzzle thing and much more popular with the kids.
If you filled out the album you'd win a prize. Everyone thought the price would be a laptop or something equally luxurious but I know from a friend of mine who actually completed the thing that the prize was actually just a crummy Digimon T-shirt. Talk about a rip-off :mrgreen:
But I think we all still enjoyed the card collecting/trading aspect nonetheless :) .

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:49 pm

I updated the thread title, which I originally made while poisoned by testosterone and thus must be eradicated.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:56 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:49 pm I updated the thread title, which I originally made while poisoned by testosterone and thus must be eradicated.
Bet you never thought this thread was going to be 300 plus pages and last this long eh? :lol:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:47 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:56 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:49 pm I updated the thread title, which I originally made while poisoned by testosterone and thus must be eradicated.
Bet you never thought this thread was going to be 300 plus pages and last this long eh? :lol:
Eh, I never thought I'd transition medically or lust after men, either. This thread growing so huge os nothing. 😆
She/Her
bisexual milf

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:09 am

Wasn't there a big-shot executive stringing fans along for months about supposed negotiations?

I'm so fascinated by all of this, honestly. I'd love to see it come out, but I'm starting to wonder if this wasn't just some bizarre misunderstanding. At this point, Kai and the original DBZ are closer together in years than we are from Kai... could the actors have been confused and just talking about the Z dub that they continued to work on? I honestly feel like from their perspective, it's not like they know the ins and outs of the series like we do because we're fans and it's a job to them (I mean, it's true). From hearing Kelamis and Drummond, it's not like they knew all of the story, especially the back-and-forth with Funimation, etc.

Anyway, I've given up hope because when you think about it, there are a ton of projects that never see the light of day that we don't know about (because we're not fans of them). I'm just completely baffled by (a) who the hell would pay for this and allegedly not be willing to have it play on TV or be released on DVD/Blu-ray/whatever; and (b) why the hell would they supposedly dub the entire series with zero prospect on landing on TV or having a release?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:49 pm

At this juncture, I feel it is right to once again post my roundup of everything we know about Ocean Kai:
I updated this repository of info recently, but haven't posted it in this thread for a while, so I thought I'd post it again.
Plus, it's relevant to the rest of this post now...
TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:09 am Wasn't there a big-shot executive stringing fans along for months about supposed negotiations?
Yes, there was an executive telling us about negotiations. We do know that these negotiations were real, though, and I wouldn't call the exec a "big-shot".
And really, by all accouts, nothing particularly went wrong on the front of them negotiating for Kai; what went wrong is that the channel itself failed to launch, because the company behind it couldn't scrounge up the money. So, that was a wash.

On the plus side, Arian, SX10, Nitro, and I are looking into pursuing a few other avenues for potentially getting Ocean Kai released. You saw the effort about Tweeting Netflix and Prime Video, but it seems none of us have the reach to get that to spread far enough to get the traction it needs. (And the people who have reach have thus far showed no interest in Retweeting to give it reach. Oh well)

Current efforts are focussed on a channel in Canada called Toon-A-Vision, which likes Canadian content, and is somewhat desperate for more shows. We're working on getting them in contact with the right people.
And this channel is already up-and-running, so if they want to pick Kai up, it'll actually get on air.
TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:09 am I'm so fascinated by all of this, honestly. I'd love to see it come out, but I'm starting to wonder if this wasn't just some bizarre misunderstanding.
It is not a misunderstanding. It is confirmed beyond a shadow of a doubt by the actors, by Lisa Yamatoya (head of Toei USA), and various other sources that Ocean Kai is real.
TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:09 am At this point, Kai and the original DBZ are closer together in years than we are from Kai... could the actors have been confused and just talking about the Z dub that they continued to work on? I honestly feel like from their perspective, it's not like they know the ins and outs of the series like we do because we're fans and it's a job to them (I mean, it's true). From hearing Kelamis and Drummond, it's not like they knew all of the story, especially the back-and-forth with Funimation, etc.
Impossible.

See the full infodump in the spoiler above, but suffice it to say...
Scott McNeil confirmed that he was in-progress recording for Kai in late 2011. (In addition to specifically noting it is Kai, it's shorter, etc., this was 2011; the last time DBZ was recording in Vancouver before this was 2003)
Brian Drummond confirmed that, specifically, he recorded for Kai.
Kirby Morrow confirmed he re-auditioned as Goku for Kai -- Trevor Devall discussed auditioning for roles in Kai too -- though Morrow did not get the role.
Lee Tockar specifically confirmed he played Freeza in Kai; his only Z roles were Elder Moori and probably some additional voices...

It's real. Just unreleased.
TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:09 am Anyway, I've given up hope because when you think about it, there are a ton of projects that never see the light of day that we don't know about (because we're not fans of them). I'm just completely baffled by (a) who the hell would pay for this and allegedly not be willing to have it play on TV or be released on DVD/Blu-ray/whatever; and (b) why the hell would they supposedly dub the entire series with zero prospect on landing on TV or having a release?
It was recorded for TV, looks like it had a specific place on TV in mind, but that fell through, but they finished production anyway, and shopped it around to TV networks, but networks in the UK and Canada pretty much completely lost interest in anime at some point between 2006 and 2011, and never really got it back, so Kai has just never had a home.

As for DVD/Blu-ray, there's no reason it can't get a release, but Funimation do not want this dub to see the light of day (inside sources have informed me of this), so they're sure as hell not gonna release it. And Australia has always been dominated by the Funi dub. So the only hope would be MangaUK, which... Well... Not gonna lie, they COULD do it, but don't hold your breath for it.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:59 pm

damn wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:15 pm I'd argue the (Albanian)dub from my home country(Kosovo) probably has to be the rarest dub of DB ever.
Premiered around the early 2000s(couldn't have been later than 2002). I think I remember only seeing the first 13 episodes(though I could be wrong) and they aired it on this channel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kohavision.
God knows what happened to it at this point. They never aired it again since then and I doubt it survived anyways.
All I remember is that it was based on the Japanese version so it had the original songs/music in Japanese and I remember that they mispronounced Son Goku(They spelled the "G" as the "J" in "Jeice" so it was more like "Joke-u").
So that wasn't the same as the one airs in Albania? Was that the original DB or Z?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:04 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:09 am . At this point, Kai and the original DBZ are closer together in years than we are from Kai... could the actors have been confused and just talking about the Z dub that they continued to work on?
Robo had a pretty thorough breakdown of the situation but also no they finished dubbing Dragon Ball Z around 2002, there’s no way in hell they got that confused with something more recent (at the time anyways) Kai was the hot Dragon Ball property around 2010-2011 they knew which show they were talking about.

Also there was a quote from Schemmel that he’s seen some of the show and it had a lot of whooshing sound effects.

Seán Schemmel Here is why the Ocean group dub will suck. And it has nothing to do with the actors as I have enormous respect for all of them. As far as I know, the Ocean group dub is going to have this really shitty music (some of which I have heard) and a whole host of added sound effects such as "doinks" and "boinks" and even in one scene, where Bulma ... See Moresimply turns her head in a conversation you hear a "whoosh" sound ala a bad martial arts movie. We are giving you the purest DBZ experience possible, and if you don't like that, then you don't like DBZ.

Note the irony of Schmmel saying you don’t like Dragon Ball Z if you don’t like their version (which completely altered the show pre-Kai) and suggesting something emulating a bad martial arts movie is un-Dragon Ball like

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:38 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:04 am Note the irony of Schmmel saying you don’t like Dragon Ball Z if you don’t like their version (which completely altered the show pre-Kai) and suggesting something emulating a bad martial arts movie is un-Dragon Ball like
Frankly, I was never a fan of those weird sound effects that the dub with the Ocean voice cast used. They were especially distracting in the case of the Pioneer dubs.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:50 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:04 am
TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:09 am . At this point, Kai and the original DBZ are closer together in years than we are from Kai... could the actors have been confused and just talking about the Z dub that they continued to work on?
Robo had a pretty thorough breakdown of the situation but also no they finished dubbing Dragon Ball Z around 2002, there’s no way in hell they got that confused with something more recent (at the time anyways) Kai was the hot Dragon Ball property around 2010-2011 they knew which show they were talking about.

Also there was a quote from Schemmel that he’s seen some of the show and it had a lot of whooshing sound effects.

Seán Schemmel Here is why the Ocean group dub will suck. And it has nothing to do with the actors as I have enormous respect for all of them. As far as I know, the Ocean group dub is going to have this really shitty music (some of which I have heard) and a whole host of added sound effects such as "doinks" and "boinks" and even in one scene, where Bulma ... See Moresimply turns her head in a conversation you hear a "whoosh" sound ala a bad martial arts movie. We are giving you the purest DBZ experience possible, and if you don't like that, then you don't like DBZ.

Note the irony of Schmmel saying you don’t like Dragon Ball Z if you don’t like their version (which completely altered the show pre-Kai) and suggesting something emulating a bad martial arts movie is un-Dragon Ball like
God damn, he's just so unlikable. Really, I haven't heard an interview with Sean Schemmel where I didn't think to myself, "You know, this guy sounds like a jerk." And then you hear about the stories of him interacting with the other voices of Goku, and it just makes it worse. Schemmel's Goku isn't my favorite, but I have no problems with it. He might be talented in a way that I cannot understand (not trying to be funny, but really, what do I know about what makes a good voice actor? I just know what voices sound appealing, but I'm sure there's a science to it from breathing to delivery, etc.), but he really seems like a jerk. But hey, it's not like I know the real him to really judge.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:27 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:50 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:04 am

God damn, he's just so unlikable. Really, I haven't heard an interview with Sean Schemmel where I didn't think to myself, "You know, this guy sounds like a jerk." And then you hear about the stories of him interacting with the other voices of Goku, and it just makes it worse. Schemmel's Goku isn't my favorite, but I have no problems with it. He might be talented in a way that I cannot understand (not trying to be funny, but really, what do I know about what makes a good voice actor? I just know what voices sound appealing, but I'm sure there's a science to it from breathing to delivery, etc.), but he really seems like a jerk. But hey, it's not like I know the real him to really judge.
I disagree, he sounds plenty likeable to me and I'm guessing he's taking a dim view of this dub because it reminds him a lot of the old Funi dub which he was never all that big on, so now he's very much against new music and added sound effects which is understandable. He seems like a nice enough person to me.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:29 am

When it comes to the other voices of Goku, he does come across as an ass. What was his response to the idea of Ian James Corlett voicing Goku Black for the Funimation dub of Super? "FUCK YOU I'M GOKU HE QUIT!" And my favorite of all: "YOU'RE NOT GOKU I'M GOKU!" to Kirby Morrow when Kirby was tweeting that he was going to a convention while adding that he was the voice of Goku. And there's also these rumors that he might have kicked Peter Kelamis out of the Kamehacon.

I haven't seen him being an ass to Lex Lang and Steve Blum, but I don't think many people are aware that Blum ever voiced Goku for a video game (Seriously, Blum and Lang as Goku are fucking weird choices). And he wouldn't dare being disrespectful to Nozawa, since she's the one that originated the role.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:18 am

Sean Schemmel is a notorious rube whose friends struggle to put up with his douche-iness. He's a self-important twerp people put up with because they swim in the same pond.
She/Her
bisexual milf