Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by Danfun64 » Fri May 15, 2020 2:14 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:14 pm
C. Smith wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:01 pm None of Geneon's shows went to YTV. All of them aired on G4 Canada
That's not entirely true. Anyway, that reference was in regards to the three uncut Dragon Ball Z movies Geneon (then Pioneer) had Ocean dub. YTV aired those. Did they get them from Geneon? I don't know.
I thought YTV aired the Toonami versions of Pioneer DBZ Movies 1-2 as well as Saban DBZ Movie 3.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Fri May 15, 2020 12:32 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 2:14 am
Super Saiyan Prime wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:14 pm
C. Smith wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:01 pm None of Geneon's shows went to YTV. All of them aired on G4 Canada
That's not entirely true. Anyway, that reference was in regards to the three uncut Dragon Ball Z movies Geneon (then Pioneer) had Ocean dub. YTV aired those. Did they get them from Geneon? I don't know.
I thought YTV aired the Toonami versions of Pioneer DBZ Movies 1-2 as well as Saban DBZ Movie 3.
That's correct, and they received them FUNimation, through Ocean anyway.

They also aired Lord Slug and the 2 TV specials that FUNimation dubbed in-house, but that's neither here nor there.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed May 20, 2020 8:35 am

Far out, it's been 10 years!? I was 14 when this thread was made; now I'm a grown man and still barely any word? :crazy:

At this point we know that at least some of the series got dubbed, so our biggest hope is that one day clips or even maybe full episodes will surface one day on YouTube or something.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed May 20, 2020 11:30 am

Ringworm128 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:35 am At this point we know that at least some of the series got dubbed, so our biggest hope is that one day clips or even maybe full episodes will surface one day on YouTube or something.
Actually, we know that the entire 98-episode original run was dubbed, and completely finished. It just hasn't aired yet.
Ringworm128 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:35 am Far out, it's been 10 years!? I was 14 when this thread was made; now I'm a grown man and still barely any word? :crazy:
Yeah...

Well, Wow Unlimited looked pretty good, and they were interested, and got negotiating... But then their channel just hasn't launched, so that one's kinda sunk.
We've tried Netflix (UK & CA) Amazon Prime Video (UK & CA) on Twitter, and now we're trying to piggyback off interest in a Toonami Canada, but so far, not enough people have done enough Tweeting and emailing for there to be any official response. (I still have a lot of faith that a Toonami Canada airing could work; we just need to make sure word gets around and people send emails. In theory, the same is true of Netflix, and I think Netflix would be a better platform for it than a hypothetical Toonami Canada, but people need to send emails, make Tweets, and spread the word... And people just aren't doing that enough to draw Netflix's eye, I don't think. I think our main problem is no one with any real reach has retweeted us, so... Still worth trying our best, but so far, word just isn't getting around as far as it needs to)

Toon-A-Vision looks interesting, but they have zero desire to approach Toei or Ocean. They won't take any action unless they are approached. I kinda hope Ocean can reach out to Toon-A-Vision, but I don't think they know of the opportunity, and I'm not entirely sure that IPP/Ocean would be the ones who should approach them. IDK.

So... Right now, the #1 thing is, if you want to see this thing air: Email Adult Swim here: adultswimcanada@corusent.com
The info we're working off is this:
The imissbionix blog wrote:During last Saturday’s Toonami Pre-Flight show, Adult Swim’s Jason Demarco and Gill Austin confirmed that Corus Entertainment’s rights to Adult Swim programming include the block’s original anime co-productions. Upcoming projects such as Sola Digital Arts’ Blade Runner: Black Lotus and Production I.G.’s adaptation of Junji Ito’s Uzumaki manga series would be easily obtainable for the Canadian channel.
During the response, both DeMarco and Gill encouraged fans to tell Corus that they want Toonami on the channel – adding that the company has access to all of the branding produced for the U.S. block.
And here are some key talking points to consider if you want to send an email:
  • Ask for a Canadian Toonami
  • Ask for Ocean's DBZ Kai to air
  • Note that Ocean's DBZ Kai is a Canadian dub, using the cast Canadians will remember from the original 500-episode run of DB+Z+GT from 1995-2008 that Canadian fans loved so much -- ratings were very strong for the entire 13-year span that Dragon Ball was airing in Canada, I'm pretty sure. Changing that cast would be massively disrespectful to both the fans and the cast behind those 13 years of Canadian Dragon Ball broadcasting, many of whom originated these roles in English.
  • The Ocean Kai dub covers all 98 original episodes of DBZ Kai
  • Ocean's DBZ Kai is a perfect introduction for new fans, and -- with the beloved Ocean cast behind it -- it's a perfect nostalgia trip for fans who grew up on the original run.
  • Fans have been crying out for the Ocean cast to return to TV for years, particularly via their Kai dub, which is complete.
  • Maybe also note that if they're going to air Kai, they should reach out to IPP/Ocean or Toei; Funimation has interfered in channels interested in airing this dub in the past, so it's best that they contact Toei directly, or through IPP/Ocean.
  • If you like, say some good stuff about specific cast members; Richard Ian Cox of InuYasha fame, Scott McNeil (half the cast of Transformers Beast Wars, the original Piccolo, etc), Brian Drummond (Ryuk in Death Note), Lee Tockar, etc.
  • KEEP YOUR EMAIL BRIEF.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed May 20, 2020 3:47 pm

Also, this likely won't be a deal-breaker, but if only to throw this in as a super-short "bonus point," feel free to point out that the dub has been successfully registered as Canadian Content: https://services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/CanrecL ... 4-01&C=07E
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri May 22, 2020 12:05 am

I can't wait to change the title to "Dub Turns 11; Never Coming Out lol" next year.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Fri May 22, 2020 9:51 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:05 amI can't wait to change the title to "Dub Turns 11; Never Coming Out lol" next year.
I suggest you don't do that, even if meant as a joke. Because it's going to bring a looming sense of pessimism with it. Why should anyone care about this cause of ours and do anything to help if even the title doesn't care enough to be invested in what its talking about?

Even "Still Unreleased" doesn't help the fight against nothingness, but that was your choice.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri May 22, 2020 10:43 pm

Arian wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:51 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:05 amI can't wait to change the title to "Dub Turns 11; Never Coming Out lol" next year.
I suggest you don't do that, even if meant as a joke. Because it's going to bring a looming sense of pessimism with it. Why should anyone care about this cause of ours and do anything to help if even the title doesn't care enough to be invested in what its talking about?

Even "Still Unreleased" doesn't help the fight against nothingness, but that was your choice.
I haven't got a pony in the race anymore, but I am a pervert and kind of want to see this weird, strange, utterly baffling Thing released to the public somehow. I made this thread ten years ago, when I was an entirely different person. That being said, I certainly think we should have a sense of humor about it. This flame is still going TEN YEARS LATER for a thing Toei Animation has zero need to release. It is hilarious to think about.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun May 24, 2020 2:48 am

JulieYBM wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:43 pm
Arian wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:51 pm

I haven't got a pony in the race anymore, but I am a pervert and kind of want to see this weird, strange, utterly baffling Thing released to the public somehow. I made this thread ten years ago, when I was an entirely different person. That being said, I certainly think we should have a sense of humor about it. This flame is still going TEN YEARS LATER for a thing Toei Animation has zero need to release. It is hilarious to think about.
Right.

But, if you care about seeing this thing, then you have to understand that the only way this gets released is if there's fan demand directed at the right platform at the right time. Has nearly happened a number of times, in fact, Wow being a very close call where fan demand was listened to, but the platform ultimately hasn't got off the ground (not yet, at least, though I'm not optimistic about it ever launchng).

So, much as it's fun to joke about these things, and it's important to be able to joke about stuff like this... Having the title as something like "Dub turns 11; never coming out lol" is pretty unyieldingly pessimistic, and could easily hurt any remaining chances we have to rally fans behind this thing.

Dragon Ball fans are already super lazy about doing anything to get what they want from official hands; encouraging people with unnecessarily negative "it's never gonna happen tho" talk just gives people even more excuse to not bother trying.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun May 24, 2020 6:47 am

Yeah, I'm in the camp that says we shouldn't make a mockery of this thing. A lot of actors, writers, musicians, sound engineers, sound mixers, producers worked very hard on this dub and I'm sure none of them would be too pleased to know us, the intended audience are all like "lol this thing you worked on is never getting released".

If you want it to be released, you will make the effort by emailing, Tweeting the relevant parties (currently Toonami Canada) because the only way it gets out is if we show the powers that be there is still a demand for it because the last thing we want is for them to give up too.

Life changes, but passions stay with us. I was starting my final year of secondary school (high school in other countries) when this thread began, now I'm three years into a secure career job. Next year, I'm getting married, and even if Ocean Kai isn't released by then you can be sure in my spare time I'll still be advocating for it to be released, ditto whenever I have a family.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:10 pm I mean there is always the chance one day someone will air it, they might not have a show to air and one day one exuc might be like "I may have something, there was a show that was recorded but never aired it is ready to go", "Brilliant lets air that then. "Okay I will make some phone calls". As-long as the dub isn't destroyed there is always the chance.
This springs to mind as it's something I think the few of us still fighting for this thing can all agree with :thumbup:, and surely Ocean will never destroy it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue May 26, 2020 3:03 am

To everyone waiting for this to come out, remember that a few months ago the idea of a Zack Snyder Justice League cut was anything but possible, but here we are with a release date set for next year. With enough fan support, anything's possible.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue May 26, 2020 10:03 am

Matches Malone wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:03 am To everyone waiting for this to come out, remember that a few months ago the idea of a Zack Snyder Justice League cut was anything but possible, but here we are with a release date set for next year. With enough fan support, anything's possible.
I mean I hate to be the downer, but the Synder Cut movement was much bigger and more vocal than any movement to get this released has ever been, so it's not really a fair comparison.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue May 26, 2020 10:22 am

PremiumSalt wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:03 amI mean I hate to be the downer, but the Synder Cut movement was much bigger and more vocal than any movement to get this released has ever been, so it's not really a fair comparison.
I'm not an Ocean fan, so I don't know the ins and outs of what's going on, but if they think enough money can be made on it, they'll find a way to make it happen.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:32 am

PremiumSalt wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:03 am
Matches Malone wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:03 am To everyone waiting for this to come out, remember that a few months ago the idea of a Zack Snyder Justice League cut was anything but possible, but here we are with a release date set for next year. With enough fan support, anything's possible.
I mean I hate to be the downer, but the Synder Cut movement was much bigger and more vocal than any movement to get this released has ever been, so it's not really a fair comparison.
Resigning yourself to the idea it won't happen, is how movements like this fail. Because if everyone assumes it won't happen, no one does anything, and so no one's doing anything, so everyone assumes it won't happen, and then, hey look at that, it doesn't happen...

Everyone has to just do what they can; send an email when there's a promising lead (like Toonami CA), or write a Tweet (as we tried with Netflix). Worst case scenario, you wasted a minute of your time trying to do a cool thing.
Matches Malone wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:22 am I'm not an Ocean fan, so I don't know the ins and outs of what's going on, but if they think enough money can be made on it, they'll find a way to make it happen.
You're probably right.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed May 27, 2020 10:45 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:32 amResigning yourself to the idea it won't happen, is how movements like this fail. Because if everyone assumes it won't happen, no one does anything, and so no one's doing anything, so everyone assumes it won't happen, and then, hey look at that, it doesn't happen...
The problem with movements like this, and movements in general, is that people don't commit to them long term. Look at the Snyder cut of JL, that movement went on for years, non stop. The people involved took every opportunity they could to ask for it, in every way imaginable. If fans want Ocean Kai, they need to make sure everyone in the company, especially the people making the decisions know there's a demand for it, but that can't happen if a movement only lasts a few days/weeks.

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:43 am

Speaking of "Snyder," I have some news for you all that really surprises me that it wasn't brought up sooner.

Michael Hirsh and WOW! have appointed Stuart Snyder to the board of directors.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-rele ... anges.html

For those that don't know, he ran Cartoon Network (USA) between 2007 and 2014 and in his tenure, turned the schedule upside-down.

When he got the job as president, Cartoon Network still had Toonami and a plethora of both anime as well as action-adventure shows in a diverse variety.

When he lost the job, Toonami as well as all anime that wasn't Pokémon were all purged, we had seen live action (as well as reality) shows in primetime, and Teen Titans Go! was dominating the lineup (which is still happening now).

In my opinion, hiring him is definitely counterproductive and won't bring us any closer to Ocean Kai, seeing as how his leadership took Dragon Ball Z off of Cartoon Network and had FUNimation going to Nickelodeon for television support in the first place.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:14 am

SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH...

But just so its not ALL terrible news, here's a bit of hope.

https://imissbionix.wordpress.com/2020/ ... ars-later/
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:33 pm

GokuDaimao wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:43 am Speaking of "Snyder," I have some news for you all that really surprises me that it wasn't brought up sooner.

Michael Hirsh and WOW! have appointed Stuart Snyder to the board of directors.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-rele ... anges.html

For those that don't know, he ran Cartoon Network (USA) between 2007 and 2014 and in his tenure, turned the schedule upside-down.

When he got the job as president, Cartoon Network still had Toonami and a plethora of both anime as well as action-adventure shows in a diverse variety.

When he lost the job, Toonami as well as all anime that wasn't Pokémon were all purged, we had seen live action (as well as reality) shows in primetime, and Teen Titans Go! was dominating the lineup (which is still happening now).

In my opinion, hiring him is definitely counterproductive and won't bring us any closer to Ocean Kai, seeing as how his leadership took Dragon Ball Z off of Cartoon Network and had FUNimation going to Nickelodeon for television support in the first place.
No one brought it up because it's unlikely that Wow's channel ever launches. If it does, CRTC regulations would prevent Snyder from being in charge of the channel as I don't believe he's a Canadian citizen. He's also a consultant on some "anime" properties Nelvana is developing, so it seems he may have turned a new leaf.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:42 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:14 am SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH...

To whoever uploaded that video.........if you have access to Ocean's hard drives...............

Jussayin.'
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:24 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:42 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:14 am SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH...

To whoever uploaded that video.........if you have access to Ocean's hard drives...............

Jussayin.'
Tell me about it! How do we contact this guy?
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep