Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by Lance Freeman » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:56 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:51 am
Ringworm128 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:54 am When this thread was made I was only like middle school age, now I'm old enough to hypothetically get married and start a family. Trying to wrap my head around that. :crazy:
The fact this has become a *lost* dub while within our time waiting, TWO lost dubs of Dragon Ball have been found

Philippines and Harmony Gold dubs :D
Hey, do you think that we might get a streaming release of the Harmony Gold dub now that HG and Funimation are working together?

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:52 pm

Lance Freeman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:56 pm
Ringworm128 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:54 am When this thread was made I was only like middle school age, now I'm old enough to hypothetically get married and start a family. Trying to wrap my head around that. :crazy:
The fact this has become a *lost* dub while within our time waiting, TWO lost dubs of Dragon Ball have been found

Hey, do you think that we might get a streaming release of the Harmony Gold dub now that HG and Funimation are working together?
That's unfortunately not quite how it works. Funimation is just sub-licensing Macross from Harmony Gold. Harmony Gold don't have any rights to Dragon Ball anymore, and even if they did I highly doubt they'd still have any materials from their dub. If Funimation wanted to put out the Harmony Gold dub, they'd probably have to ask Toei for it and I doubt Toei still has it either.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:12 am

Yeah, sadly the Harmony Gold dub has about as much a chance of a re-release as other non-Funimation dubs. Very slim.

In a perfect world Discotek would have the distribution rights to Dragon Ball and Manga UK and Madman would have imported their discs, as they would include all the dubs on their releases, and like their upcoming Ninja Robots release if anything is hard to find they reach out to the fans for recordings. Truly an example all anime distributors should follow.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:17 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:12 am Yeah, sadly the Harmony Gold dub has about as much a chance of a re-release as other non-Funimation dubs. Very slim.

In a perfect world Discotek would have the distribution rights to Dragon Ball and Manga UK and Madman would have imported their discs, as they would include all the dubs on their releases, and like their upcoming Ninja Robots release if anything is hard to find they reach out to the fans for recordings. Truly an example all anime distributors should follow.
I don't see anything wrong with FUNi distributing DB in NA, but I agree with the sentiment. Unfortunately, it's extremely slim to impossible chances of any dubs other than FUNi's getting wide home releases. Mainly because of some dubs only being produced for TV (the later Ocean dubs), or were clearly rushed to market with no care as to how the final product turned out (Big Green dubs, Speedy dubs, etc). It's pretty much FUNi's policy to use only dubs either they produce, or, in the case of older anime they licensed after the original studios went defunct or didn't renew the licenses, use the already-existing dubs that were already good & they could get the master audio tapes for.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:42 pm

All it takes is one leak... One little leak... lol

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:35 am

MistaL wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:52 pm
Lance Freeman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:56 pm

That's unfortunately not quite how it works. Funimation is just sub-licensing Macross from Harmony Gold. Harmony Gold don't have any rights to Dragon Ball anymore, and even if they did I highly doubt they'd still have any materials from their dub. If Funimation wanted to put out the Harmony Gold dub, they'd probably have to ask Toei for it and I doubt Toei still has it either.
It’s entirely likely Toei sent Funimation the master tapes of Harmony Gold’s dub when Funimation acquired the license. Whether they’re in any good condition now is another story .

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:15 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:35 am It’s entirely likely Toei sent Funimation the master tapes of Harmony Gold’s dub when Funimation acquired the license. Whether they’re in any good condition now is another story .
FUNimation definitely received some kind of materials from the Harmony Gold dub. It's remarkable how many script similarities there are in their dubs of DB Movie 1 (with both the Ocean and in-house casts) and the Harmony Gold dub's script. So, not sure if they received the master tapes, or the scripts, or something else...but you're right, they definitely got something.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:25 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:15 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:35 am It’s entirely likely Toei sent Funimation the master tapes of Harmony Gold’s dub when Funimation acquired the license. Whether they’re in any good condition now is another story .
FUNimation definitely received some kind of materials from the Harmony Gold dub. It's remarkable how many script similarities there are in their dubs of DB Movie 1 (with both the Ocean and in-house casts) and the Harmony Gold dub's script. So, not sure if they received the master tapes, or the scripts, or something else...but you're right, they definitely got something.

Not just the movie the first 5 episodes of the 95 Funi dub (and by extension 01 in-house redub) borrowed heavily from Harmony Gold’s dub even reusing the first four episode titles. Some of the infamous lines like “His life was about to begin a radical new change….totally radical “ and “I don’t like to hurt anyone but he gave me no choice “ originated from the HG dub. So they definitely at least got the scripts from Toei.

The reason I think they got the tapes as well for reference is their early pilot dub of Curse of the Blood Rubies (back when they used Harmony Gold names) had a line “Zero! He is our hero!” Which seems borrowed from the Zerrooooo is ooouuur herrrrrooooo” line from the Harmony Gold theme. And Oolong having an adult male voice and Puar having a unmistakably female voice seemed lifted from Harmony Gold and even the narrator(s) has a similar cadence and tone to the HG narrator.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:08 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:25 pm Not just the movie the first 5 episodes of the 95 Funi dub (and by extension 01 in-house redub) borrowed heavily from Harmony Gold’s dub even reusing the first four episode titles. Some of the infamous lines like “His life was about to begin a radical new change….totally radical “ and “I don’t like to hurt anyone but he gave me no choice “ originated from the HG dub. So they definitely at least got the scripts from Toei.

The reason I think they got the tapes as well for reference is their early pilot dub of Curse of the Blood Rubies (back when they used Harmony Gold names) had a line “Zero! He is our hero!” Which seems borrowed from the Zerrooooo is ooouuur herrrrrooooo” line from the Harmony Gold theme. And Oolong having an adult male voice and Puar having an unmistakably female voice seemed lifted from Harmony Gold and even the narrator(s) has a similar cadence and tone to the HG narrator.
Yeah, that doesn't surprise me with early FUNi that they would just borrow heavily from previous dubs. They were probably pretty short-staffed & didn't have proper script writers, since the later Z dubs scripts were outsourced to the people at Ocean. That makes sense.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:22 pm

Scsigs wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:08 pm [. They were probably pretty short-staffed & didn't have proper script writers,
They had like 3 or 4 writers with the 95 Dragon Ball dub including Ian Corlett and Terry Klassen…

And yeah they borrowed quite a bit from the Harmony Gold dub but we’re not talking a near verbatim recycling like the 01 dub was to the 95 dub.

since the later Z dubs scripts were outsourced to the people at Ocean. That makes sense.
They weren’t? Yeah some of the writers on staff were Ocean cast members but it pretty consistently stayed a mix between Vancouver and Texas writers until Kai. It was never just the Ocean cast writing scripts

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:39 pm

I'm curious how AB Groupe ended up with Funimation's script for Z, which is what was used for Ocean/Westwood Z.

I just recently watched Ocean's panel with Geekdom and Scott McNeil says something to the effect that even Kai was poorly done... Screw it; don't care -- still want to see it.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:50 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:39 pm I'm curious how AB Groupe ended up with Funimation's script for Z, which is what was used for Ocean/Westwood Z.
AB Groupe didn't have anything to do with that. Ocean had already been working with Funimation's dubbing materials for DBZ in order to distribute the show for YTV in Canada. So they were given access to the video, music and sound effects when the in-house dub started being released and presumably were also helping write the scripts for the in-house dub, or at the very least, Terry Klassen was for a very long time. It's been implied that this lasted even into Funimation's GT production as they mentioned some sort of Canadian influence on the US dub scripts, so it was most likely a mutually beneficial situation or something that Funimation had already agreed to under previous terms. The Nicktoons dub of Kai also credits Ocean for video editing so this prior relationship might have continued even then.

Ian Corlett mentioned in the past that "IPP/Ocean sound has the Canadian rights to record shows" so a Canadian version seems to have been completely above board. AB Groupe's involvement was (as far as we know) as a buyer and European distributor of the Canadian dub, up until the tail end of the Z dub when Ocean overtook the Funimation Z dub and they needed AB's footage and materials to finish (although this was updated to Funi footage in the later YTV reruns). The Blue Water dubs that followed all used AB Groupe's materials from then on, and the Funimation localized scripts were soon discarded in favour of Ocean's own translated scripts which were more faithful to the Japanese.
I just recently watched Ocean's panel with Geekdom and Scott McNeil says something to the effect that even Kai was poorly done... Screw it; don't care -- still want to see it.
Scott's issue with it seems to be that the pronunciations of certain words were changed to be more accurate to the Japanese pronunciations, which... isn't actually a bad thing. I understand why he would view it that way through, as his involvement with the franchise has had heavy Funimation influence over names and pronunciations, and he and his fans have likewise become accustomed to those. So from his perspective, it feels like a needless change to something that's already been successful, and maybe it is, but if it's done to be more accurate than Funimation's dub (which seems to be the case), then I personally don't see the issue.

We've already had the Bang Zoom dub of Super use terms that Funimation have not, such as Ki, Shen Long, Blooma etc, so I suspect it might've been a similar situation with the Kai dub, if Toei were helping as producers.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:33 pm

I wonder how long it’ll take for this dub to leak online. I assume it’s got to happen eventually.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:46 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:33 pm I wonder how long it’ll take for this dub to leak online. I assume it’s got to happen eventually.
I mean…it was recorded over 10 years ago. Not impossible but I wouldn’t count on it.

There’s a better chance of the Ocean Group dubbing Dragon Ball Super for Canada than Dragon Ball Ocean Kai getting leaked tbh

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:02 pm

I wonder how long it’ll take for this dub to leak online. I assume it’s got to happen eventually.
Realistically it's not going to leak, especially not from Ocean.

There's no precedent of anything leaking from them directly, as far as I know. The closest I can think of was pilot anime dub footage for scrapped projects but that was always from a third party (old convention tapes or home media distributors) and nothing of that sort was ever found in the digital age unless you count the Kai theme song, but that was not leaked by Ocean either.

From what I've been told they don't even allow actors to get clips for their reels, so I don't see any chance of an Ocean leak happening.

A video editor that worked for them might have a clip but it would be against company policy to keep and if they uploaded it they'd be blacklisted.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:12 pm

NitroEX wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:50 pm Scott's issue with it seems to be that the pronunciations of certain words were changed to be more accurate to the Japanese pronunciations, which... isn't actually a bad thing. I understand why he would view it that way through, as his involvement with the franchise has had heavy Funimation influence over names and pronunciations, and he and his fans have likewise become accustomed to those. So from his perspective, it feels like a needless change to something that's already been successful, and maybe it is, but if it's done to be more accurate than Funimation's dub (which seems to be the case), then I personally don't see the issue.
In particular, he felt it was weird to start pronouncing Namek as "Naw-mek" instead of "Nam-ik."

I bring this up because, fun fact, I had no idea that that's how it was always supposed to be pronounced until hearing Scott mention this. Sure, I've watched the Japanese version in its entirety, but I always figured their pronunciation of it was just "Nam-ik" as pronounced with a Japanese accent (in the same way that Freeza's name is indeed Freeza and not "Furiza"). It's also one of those words where the proper spelling doesn't really lend itself to the proper pronunciation. So even now, while I most definitely wouldn't turn down the chance to watch the Ocean dub of Kai over this, "Naw-mek" admittedly feels weird to me too.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:42 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:46 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:33 pm I wonder how long it’ll take for this dub to leak online. I assume it’s got to happen eventually.
I mean…it was recorded over 10 years ago. Not impossible but I wouldn’t count on it.

There’s a better chance of the Ocean Group dubbing Dragon Ball Super for Canada than Dragon Ball Ocean Kai getting leaked tbh
I remember 4 years ago when the DBZ Kai TFC dub started airing, someone on this forum brought up how apparently the folks at the Mexican dubbing company for the franchise had to get TFC dubbed & aired before Super could be dubbed. And since FUNi couldn't seem to broadcast Super, despite the fact that we knew a dub was coming, without airing TFC with it, they might HAVE to dub & air all of Kai before Super. But, then again, I don't know since the short-lived Bang Zoom dub of Super didn't ned Kai to be dubbed beforehand.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:49 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:12 pm In particular, he felt it was weird to start pronouncing Namek as "Naw-mek" instead of "Nam-ik."

I bring this up because, fun fact, I had no idea that that's how it was always supposed to be pronounced until hearing Scott mention this. Sure, I've watched the Japanese version in its entirety, but I always figured their pronunciation of it was just "Nam-ik" as pronounced with a Japanese accent (in the same way that Freeza's name is indeed Freeza and not "Furiza"). It's also one of those words where the proper spelling doesn't really lend itself to the proper pronunciation. So even now, while I most definitely wouldn't turn down the chance to watch the Ocean dub of Kai over this, "Naw-mek" admittedly feels weird to me too.
I know what you mean. It is a little weird hearing Scott say it but I think his example might've been a bit exaggerated to better convey the difference to the audience. It's just a guess since I don't recall him saying it anywhere else, but I'd wager that being the case for the majority of the times Namek is said. In the final product, it'd probably be spoken a bit quicker (Nuh-mek rather than a drawn-out Naaw-mek). It's also worth pointing out that we've had differences in the pronunciations before, like Jeh-roh/Gy-roh, Vih-del/Vee-del, Pie-con/Pea-con, and even subtler ones like with Kameyameya/Kame-hame-ha (which Schemmel pointed out) or even the way certain characters pronounce Goku. Then there's the infamous Kay-o-ken... It's kind of always been a thing for me so I suppose I'm less bothered by the idea of another change.

I'd prefer the old Namek pronunciation if given the choice, but it'd be a small price to pay to hear these actors perform in the Namek story arc, and if that was Scott's only complaint then it's really not as big of a deal as he might think. If they changed Saiyan to an accurate pronunciation on the other hand, that would certainly turn more heads. But I doubt they went that far given that he didn't mention it.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:55 pm

Scsigs wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:42 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:46 pm

I remember 4 years ago when the DBZ Kai TFC dub started airing, someone on this forum brought up how apparently the folks at the Mexican dubbing company for the franchise had to get TFC dubbed & aired before Super could be dubbed. And since FUNi couldn't seem to broadcast Super, despite the fact that we knew a dub was coming, without airing TFC with it, they might HAVE to dub & air all of Kai before Super. But, then again, I don't know since the short-lived Bang Zoom dub of Super didn't ned Kai to be dubbed beforehand.
Well, from the patterns we've seen companies get to dub Super if they have either completed both Kai and Kai TFC or done neither. The latter applies to the Bang Zoom dub, whereas the former is relevant to any companies that dubbed Super.

It makes me wish Ocean did keep going and dub TFC. It would probably be much easier to get a Canadian TV deal for Super, and they could air Kai alongside it. Then again, it would be a hell of a lot of money to dub 69+ more episodes, so it's understandable why Ocean would think there's no point if the first 98 weren't picked up.

Still though, Ocean Kai would be like the Dragon Ball leak of the century, even moreso than the recent discovery of the Harmony Gold episodes.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:41 pm

Something cool just happened!

So I just messaged Lee Tockar and asked if, since so much time has passed, if he could show me what his Frieza sounded like. He recorded a 10 second clip of him doing the voice and sent it to me. Very cool!

Is there a way I can post it here? He gave me the go ahead.