Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
CaBrPi
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1158
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:15 pm
Location: D/FW, Texas

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by CaBrPi » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:38 pm

I've been watching clips of the old Ocean dub, and, even though I don't think it's quite as vastly superior to the Funi dub as some fanboys make it out to be, I love Scott McNeil's Piccolo. I was already familiar with him from Beast Wars (same for Ian Corlett), so I was actually kinda surprised at his range.

When the Ocean Kai dub starts airing, I'll definitely be keeping up, if only for McNeil's Piccolo.

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by penguintruth » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:45 pm

Yeah, Scott McNeil is my favorite (English) Piccolo. Even in the bad years he's still pretty good. Definitely one of my favorite VAs.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3540
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:59 pm

Agreed, McNeil was so good as Piccolo. Even during the first days of DBZ's English dub, with many of the fans already familiar with the Japanese version lamenting the casting decisions, there was near-universal approval of McNeil as Piccolo. It's kind of weird to think that some of the best and worst casting decisions in DBZ came from the same guy (Barry Watson).
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
Attitudefan
I Live Here
Posts: 2963
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:51 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:35 pm

Funny how Drummond went from most hated to most beloved as Vegeta :lol:

It's a different take on the character but still stays true on his personality. I approve of Drummond no matter what any body says. He also is in a closer voice range with his Japanese counterpart.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

User avatar
dbboxkaifan
Banned
Posts: 8906
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:58 pm

Attitudefan wrote:Funny how Drummond went from most hated to most beloved as Vegeta :lol:

It's a different take on the character but still stays true on his personality. I approve of Drummond no matter what any body says. He also is in a closer voice range with his Japanese counterpart.
Since when was Drummond's Vejita ever hated? :?

Though, Sabat's Vejita has a lot of hate from fans, I don't like his Vejita voice but nor do I truly detest it.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

User avatar
Pokewhiz7
I Live Here
Posts: 2195
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: United States

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:07 pm

He was hated when he was first introduced because he was so much different than Ryo Horikawa's voice.
EDIT: Also what was said below me.
Last edited by Pokewhiz7 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by penguintruth » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:08 pm

Lots of people complained (and still do) that Drummond's Vegeta was a stereotypical "villain voice".

I just thought it made him sound really cocky and over confident. Drummond's delivery, where his Vegeta sort of sharpened his words as he said them, drove this home. He sounds like a guy in love with himself, who enjoys hearing his own voice so much. Like an arrogant douchebag. Like Vegeta.

Though some of his Westwood performance was pretty lousy.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3540
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:11 pm

Drummond definitely had the arrogant side of Vegeta down, but ho boy could he nail Vegeta's rage, as well. This moment--in my humble opinion, of course--was the most memorable moment of Drummond's performance. Apparently to others, too...because when I searched for this on YouTube, all I did was type the words "my wrath"...no mention of Drummond, Vegeta, or DBZ at all...just "my wrath"...and this clip, the one I was thinking of, was at the top of the list.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by penguintruth » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:14 pm

My computer crashed as that clip played.

Vegeta's wrath is that intense.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
CaBrPi
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1158
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:15 pm
Location: D/FW, Texas

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by CaBrPi » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:41 pm

I do like Drummond's overall performance, but I'm not a huge fan of the voice itself.

But that could change over time, seeing as I'm finally starting to watch the series in Japanese. I like what I've heard of Horikawa, so that might end up making me like Drummond more.

However, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but my ideal Vegeta would have to be Steve Blum.

elcrunkus
Newbie
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:23 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by elcrunkus » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:56 pm

If Brian doesn't reprise his role as vegeta then I probably won't have any interest in the new dub. I've already heard that terry klassen won't be back as krillin.

User avatar
Gonstead
I Live Here
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:33 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Gonstead » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:01 pm

elcrunkus wrote: I've already heard that terry klassen won't be back as krillin.
Got a source for that?
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

User avatar
Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8749
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:23 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:57 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Agreed, McNeil was so good as Piccolo. Even during the first days of DBZ's English dub, with many of the fans already familiar with the Japanese version lamenting the casting decisions, there was near-universal approval of McNeil as Piccolo. It's kind of weird to think that some of the best and worst casting decisions in DBZ came from the same guy (Barry Watson).
OK, I'm gonna be honest: I didn't really like McNeil as Piccolo all that much, and I think he's pretty overrated. I genuinely prefer Sabat in Kai. I mean, McNeil was better than Sabat for the screams (although here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGuiJMJW1NY, he sounds like a banshee), but when he was just talking normally, it wasn't gruff like Sabat's pre-Kai portrayal...but it still felt forced. Like he was trying too hard to sound deep and demonic.

And I didn't like Drummond as Vegeta either, because almost every single time I listen to him, he sounds like "stereotypical Saturday morning imp villain" and, like with McNeil's Piccolo, the only thing he excelled at were his screams. penguintruth, when you say that his Vegeta sharpened his words as they said them, it just sounds really over-acted. And why was his voice that high in the first place?

So, to be honest, I don't care if McNeil or Drummond don't come back for the Ocean Kai dub. I think they showed potential, but they're not indispensable.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

elcrunkus
Newbie
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:23 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by elcrunkus » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:43 pm

Sabat makes piccolo sound like a generic wrestler.

User avatar
dbboxkaifan
Banned
Posts: 8906
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:47 pm

elcrunkus wrote:Sabat makes piccolo sound like a generic wrestler.
Hopefully no one gets upset but, Sabat's vocal on Piccolo makes him sound like a black guy to me.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by penguintruth » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:22 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Sabat's vocal on Piccolo makes him sound like a black guy to me.
And what does a black guy sound like?

Does a black guy sound like a demon/alien to you? So all black people are alien demons trying to take over the world to you, huh?

Oh, oh, maybe he's "one of the good ones", huh? Some of your best friends happen to be alien demons, huh?

Damn racist.

:lol:
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
dbboxkaifan
Banned
Posts: 8906
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:05 pm

I'm not racist, peguin, black people at least with the US accent tend to sound different from the white people so there's a way to differentiate even if it's not visible.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3223
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:47 pm

uh...oh...I think I'm gonna leave this thread for a while now :?

User avatar
aharte17
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:25 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by aharte17 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:13 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:I'm not racist, peguin...
...I'm pretty sure that was a joke, considering the :lol: at the end...

User avatar
Gonstead
I Live Here
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:33 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Gonstead » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:13 pm

penguintruth wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:Sabat's vocal on Piccolo makes him sound like a black guy to me.
And what does a black guy sound like?
Mr Popo.

I kid, I kid! :lol:
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Post Reply