Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Fizzer
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1396
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Fizzer » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:59 am

Does anyone else actually hope that Ocean uses a replacement soundtrack instead of repetitive Kikuchi?

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by penguintruth » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:01 am

Fizzer wrote:Does anyone else actually hope that Ocean uses a replacement soundtrack instead of repetitive Kikuchi?
That thought is bad and you should feel bad.

(Come on... the Kikuchi placement problem is exaggerated. I find that a lot of episodes are even better with Kikuchi's music.)
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
Kirbopher
Regular
Posts: 670
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:10 am
Location: TOME
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Kirbopher » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:51 am

I didn't realize that there was talk of people from Blue Water doing work for the series floating around already. I didn't even see any talk about it on here until recently. When and how did that get out?

elcrunkus
Newbie
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:23 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by elcrunkus » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:54 am

Does anyone know how far along they are in this dub in terms of dubbing?

User avatar
Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here
Posts: 2270
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:26 pm
Location: Hail

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:04 am

Kirbopher wrote:I didn't realize that there was talk of people from Blue Water doing work for the series floating around already. I didn't even see any talk about it on here until recently. When and how did that get out?
Well, MegaMan: Powered Up was dubbed by Bluewater so someone saying that Goku's voice actor was in that game would imply it was going to be a Calgary <-> Vancouver mash up.
penguintruth wrote:Sure is a lot of secrecy surrounding the voice over work for a cartoon, especially a dub that's years in the making. They're not exactly working on the cancer cure here. The CIA can't keep secrets this well.
Non-disclosure agreements aren't exactly unheard of for any kind of media...
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

User avatar
Kirbopher
Regular
Posts: 670
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:10 am
Location: TOME
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Kirbopher » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:12 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
Kirbopher wrote:I didn't realize that there was talk of people from Blue Water doing work for the series floating around already. I didn't even see any talk about it on here until recently. When and how did that get out?
Well, MegaMan: Powered Up was dubbed by Bluewater so someone saying that Goku's voice actor was in that game would imply it was going to be a Calgary <-> Vancouver mash up.
That doesn't answer the question of how people found that out in the first place.

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3545
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:56 am

It's really weird...I'm having trouble finding the post now, but somebody said that Brendan Walker said he was involved in the Ocean dub of Kai, and when someone asked him who the new Goku was, he said--not an exact quote--but something to the effect of, "here," or, "watch this page," or something like that. At which point he then linked to the Megaman cast page from "Behind the Voice Actors."

I totally understand if you're not comfortable revealing too much, Kirbopher.............but on the off-chance that you are comfortable revealing this.......without naming anyone specific, is the new Goku really one of these people?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
Solidus
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:00 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Solidus » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:03 pm

@TheBlackPaladin and Kirbopher, http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... start=1340 Scroll down this page and you should find a quote from Brendan Hunters Facebook Page. This was the first we heard of it. Then he posted that video and said something along the lines of a friend posted him the link of the video and that their Goku was in it. However he has edited his Facebook page probably due to NDA.

I still wonder who this mystery company is who is producing this Ocean dub of Kai. I've been thinking and it seems CSC media has gotten some other shows directly from Toei. Toei produced their own English dub of a show called Pretty Cure in association with Ocean Productions. The show ended up being done by Blue Water Studios and Karl Willems directed the cast. Interestingly the show aired on YTV and a CSC media channel: Pop Girl. Maybe Toei has decided to keep the license for DBZ Kai in the UK for themselves after the travesty that AB Group treated the licenses they got. That would explain them releasing the Orange Bricks and would mean that they were the ones producing Ocean Kai. This would be kinda strange, but why would Manga UK be looking for DBZ Kai from Toei and not from the license holders in the region that would also be making Ocean Kai. I was hoping KAZE were making Ocean Kai but this sudden announcement of a TV broadcast has kind of made that idea void. What do you guys think? Kirbopher, Do you happen to know who this mystery company producing Ocean Kai is? I know you can't say who if you do know so a Yes/No answer will suffice.

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by penguintruth » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:38 pm

The thought of them using Blue Water "talent" worries me. Blue Water's work is abominable.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3545
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:56 pm

penguintruth wrote:The thought of them using Blue Water "talent" worries me. Blue Water's work is abominable.
No need to put "talent" in quotation marks, they do have some very good actors. Sure, there are some weak links here and there, but that's a universal truth, not particular to Blue Water. I have yet to hear any dubbing studio that doesn't have a range of talent that range from great to not-so-great.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by penguintruth » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:02 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
penguintruth wrote:The thought of them using Blue Water "talent" worries me. Blue Water's work is abominable.
No need to put "talent" in quotation marks, they do have some very good actors. Sure, there are some weak links here and there, but that's a universal truth, not particular to Blue Water. I have yet to hear any dubbing studio that doesn't have a range of talent that range from great to not-so-great.
Hm, really? Name these good Blue Water VAs and good Blue Water dubs.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
KingofWisdom
Regular
Posts: 563
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: Miami, Florida

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by KingofWisdom » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:03 pm

Personally, I've never heard a Blue Water dub I'd say is above average. Even relatively recent ones, like Hunter x Hunter.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3545
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:13 pm

penguintruth wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
penguintruth wrote:The thought of them using Blue Water "talent" worries me. Blue Water's work is abominable.
No need to put "talent" in quotation marks, they do have some very good actors. Sure, there are some weak links here and there, but that's a universal truth, not particular to Blue Water. I have yet to hear any dubbing studio that doesn't have a range of talent that range from great to not-so-great.
Hm, really? Name these good Blue Water VAs and good Blue Water dubs.
Well Penguintruth, and I mean this with all due respect...does it matter? You've clearly made up your mind and are going to disagree with whatever good things I have to say about Blue Water or their talent pool.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by penguintruth » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:20 pm

Of course I'm going to disagree and pick apart your choices.

Indulge me, damn it. I'm curious.

I just haven't run into any good Blue Water dubs. Most of the ones I've encountered I've found cringeworthy. Zeta Gundam's spit all over my favorite mecha show.

And a lot of their VAs (Matthew Erickson comes to mind) are just terrible.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3545
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:23 pm

Well, it could be that I'm being over-cautious, but since you more or less admitted that you're going to disagree with me before even having heard my thoughts, I think I'll just respectfully decline to comment. Sorry, I'm just trying to imagine ahead of time how the discussion might go...and I don't see any particularly conductive conversations or discussions arising if one person's just going to reply, "no, you're wrong," regardless of what the other person says.

Not saying your opinion is invalid, of course. I'm merely saying that I don't believe "indulging" you would lead to anything nice or productive, that's all. No disrespect intended.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

matt0044
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:54 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by matt0044 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:04 pm

I liked Tom Edwards's Quattro/Char in Zeta.

User avatar
linkdude20002001
I Live Here
Posts: 2541
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:22 pm
Location: Lynnwood, Washington

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:24 pm

I know that I too have yet to hear any good from Blue Water. I tried watching Deltora's Quest, and my god was it painful. o_o
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

User avatar
Fizzer
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1396
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Fizzer » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:08 pm

Blue water being responsible for the android saga onwards + GT in the UK right? That shit was dreadful, but it was also a long time ago. The Ocean dub of the first 52 episodes of Z, though, I really liked. Yeah, it was edited to death, the script was unfaithful, the music changed the atmosphere of the show completely, but the quality of the acting and production in general was really quite good in my opinion.

User avatar
Puto
I Live Here
Posts: 2660
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:40 am
Location: Portugal, Oeiras
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Puto » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:10 pm

Blue Water had nothing to do with the Android Saga or anything Z, but they did do DB and GT.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

User avatar
Fizzer
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1396
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Fizzer » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:12 pm

Puto wrote:Blue Water had nothing to do with the Android Saga or anything Z, but they did do DB and GT.
Who did the second half (roughly) of Z then? I thought it was Blue Water.

Post Reply