Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
KingofWisdom
Regular
Posts: 563
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: Miami, Florida

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by KingofWisdom » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:08 pm

Not necessarily. For all we know, it could be the FUNi dub of Kai that ends up airing in the UK.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

User avatar
Solidus
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:00 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Solidus » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:51 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:I don't care who it is, so long as he's got a good naive, boyish voice. Was it said if Karl Wilhelms will be directing this or not?
It wasn't confirmed if Karl Willems is the voice direcctor or not. Hopefully he is.
elcrunkus wrote:Is this going to be released this month?
It doesn't look likely. Toy News magazine has said that it air in Q1 2013. So perhaps in early January.
KingofWisdom wrote:Not necessarily. For all we know, it could be the FUNi dub of Kai that ends up airing in the UK.
I doubt it will be the Funi dub. For one, why would CSC Media wait so long to release the series when that dub was out since 2010? CSC Media only got 53 episodes, why not get the whole thing. Ocean won't have the end of the Cell arc finished yet so it would make sense it was the Ocean dub. Then there is Kirby Morrow saying the dub was was Canada and English speaking countries in Europe. When Attitude fan met Brian Drummond, Drummond refered to the dub as the 'UK Dub'. Although there is a chance that it could be the Funi dub, going by all of that I would say there is a 99 percent that it will be Ocean.

User avatar
Kirbopher
Regular
Posts: 670
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:10 am
Location: TOME
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Kirbopher » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:25 pm

No confirmation on a director, however I'm pretty sure it WON'T be Karl Willems. I think Trevor Devall mentioned in an interview with him that he's almost exclusively directing pre-lay at Ocean Studios now. However, with the lack of work in Vancouver lately, plus the fact that DBZ's a big property, maybe it's possible?

elcrunkus
Newbie
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:23 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by elcrunkus » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:27 pm

Kirbopher wrote:No confirmation on a director, however I'm pretty sure it WON'T be Karl Willems. I think Trevor Devall mentioned in an interview with him that he's almost exclusively directing pre-lay at Ocean Studios now. However, with the lack of work in Vancouver lately, plus the fact that DBZ's a big property, maybe it's possible?

Can you post confirmed cast that you know will be in this new dub? At that's really been confirmed is scott mcneil and the va that is doing frieza.

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3794
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:34 pm

Solidus wrote:
linkdude20002001 wrote:I don't care who it is, so long as he's got a good naive, boyish voice. Was it said if Karl Wilhelms will be directing this or not?
It wasn't confirmed if Karl Willems is the voice direcctor or not. Hopefully he is.
elcrunkus wrote:Is this going to be released this month?
It doesn't look likely. Toy News magazine has said that it air in Q1 2013. So perhaps in early January.
KingofWisdom wrote:Not necessarily. For all we know, it could be the FUNi dub of Kai that ends up airing in the UK.
I doubt it will be the Funi dub. For one, why would CSC Media wait so long to release the series when that dub was out since 2010? CSC Media only got 53 episodes, why not get the whole thing. Ocean won't have the end of the Cell arc finished yet so it would make sense it was the Ocean dub. Then there is Kirby Morrow saying the dub was was Canada and English speaking countries in Europe. When Attitude fan met Brian Drummond, Drummond refered to the dub as the 'UK Dub'. Although there is a chance that it could be the Funi dub, going by all of that I would say there is a 99 percent that it will be Ocean.
What the? I searched online and didnt find anything saying that. Can you show a link?
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Subzero Ice
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:24 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Subzero Ice » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:22 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
But again, Subzero Ice, if you don't mind my asking...how would you know this (as in, behind-the-scenes info about the dub)?
I don't mind you asking, it's a fair question.

But at this point I wouldn't feel comfortable revealing my source(s) as they would run the risk of getting into trouble. I don't know if the higher ups involved in the Kai dub are reading this forum or not, but it is possible.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is a public forum. Anyone can read it, not just those who are taking part in the discussion. The first Ocean Kai topic on this forum was based on the discussion between myself and Sean. It was being monitored by me and I'm fairly certain by Mr Schemmel as well, as he joined in to make a few comments. But how many of those participating had any idea that the people on whose discussion the topic was based on, were actively monitoring the topic?

As someone who's involved in the voice acting industry, I think you can appreciate the need to keep certain things a secret until they want to release/announce it.

I will leave you with something though; networking has perks.
linkdude20002001 wrote: And I REALLY want it to be Kelamis. -_-
Not happening. Kelamis wasn't even asked to audition.
Solidus wrote:@ Subzero Ice, Quality wise how is this dub compared to Ocean's dub of Deathnote? Your claims of it being a high quality would mean it would have to be at least equal with Funimation's Dub of Kai. But is it as good as Deathnote?
I'm very confident that Ocean's Kai dub is higher quality than Funimation's Kai dub.

I can't speak on a personal level for Death Note as I'm not a fan of it. I do know that Ocean received a lot of praise from fans and critics for that dub. It's some years old though and chances are Ocean Kai is higher quality.

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by penguintruth » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:55 am

Would say it would be as good as Ocean's dub of Black Lagoon?

Blu-Ray set out soon (tomorrow in fact) from Funimation, by the way. Both seasons. The English dub, along with Death Note's is probably Ocean's finest work.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6898
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:31 am
Location: SoCal
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Kendamu » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:35 am

Is there any possibility of this getting a home release or is this just a TV broadcast thing?

User avatar
Ringworm128
I Live Here
Posts: 2920
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:41 am

I doubt it will be "better" then the Funimation dub of Kai, but my worries about it being on par with Westwood dub are fading fast.
Last edited by Ringworm128 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you have to write a small thesis every time you respond to a post you're not an intellectual, you're just bad at making your point.

User avatar
bkev
I Live Here
Posts: 2514
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Twitter. Tweet-Tweet.

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by bkev » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:41 am

Subzero Ice, do you know whether the dub was produced unedited or with cuts for content made before they even recorded lines? While I'd love for it to be the former, I'm kind of expecting the latter. I hope that's not something that could get you in trouble, but feel free to decline comment.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

User avatar
Solidus
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:00 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Solidus » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:32 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
What the? I searched online and didnt find anything saying that. Can you show a link?
http://content.yudu.com/A1zkwg/TNNov201 ... ces/58.htm


Subzero Ice, do you know who the company making this dub is? I know you probably can't say who they are but do they have a good track record with previous dubs?

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3583
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:15 pm

Subzero Ice wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
But again, Subzero Ice, if you don't mind my asking...how would you know this (as in, behind-the-scenes info about the dub)?
I don't mind you asking, it's a fair question.

But at this point I wouldn't feel comfortable revealing my source(s) as they would run the risk of getting into trouble. I don't know if the higher ups involved in the Kai dub are reading this forum or not, but it is possible.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is a public forum. Anyone can read it, not just those who are taking part in the discussion. The first Ocean Kai topic on this forum was based on the discussion between myself and Sean. It was being monitored by me and I'm fairly certain by Mr Schemmel as well, as he joined in to make a few comments. But how many of those participating had any idea that the people on whose discussion the topic was based on, were actively monitoring the topic?

As someone who's involved in the voice acting industry, I think you can appreciate the need to keep certain things a secret until they want to release/announce it.

I will leave you with something though; networking has perks.
Oh yeah dude, no worries. I figured you probably weren't going to say exactly, but I was looking for the most intriguing vague hint that you were willing to drop. :lol:

I totally get it. I don't want anybody getting in trouble. I hear 'ya about networking, though...it certainly does have perks, regardless of what business you're in!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here
Posts: 2282
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:26 pm
Location: Hail

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:28 pm

Kirbopher wrote:No confirmation on a director, however I'm pretty sure it WON'T be Karl Willems. I think Trevor Devall mentioned in an interview with him that he's almost exclusively directing pre-lay at Ocean Studios now. However, with the lack of work in Vancouver lately, plus the fact that DBZ's a big property, maybe it's possible?
Karl directed the dub for something as obscure as Scan2Go. I'm sure he'll be doing the Kai dub.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

User avatar
Attitudefan
I Live Here
Posts: 2963
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:51 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:51 pm

Mewzard wrote:It's funny, that was the exact same situation for most of the Funi cast as well. Who knew DBZ started so many voice acting careers, lol.

If Drummond does come back, I am really curious to see what kind of performance he will give. He's a good actor, but you never know with any given role how an actor might take them based on script, direction, and what feels right.
I heard it or at least a quick line from him. It is deeper but still awesome. Have you seen the "Over 9000" Rap featuring Drummond. It sounds roughly like that... or that's how he sounded when I was in the gym. Fun Fact: Drummond could not scream in the high pitch voice you hear so instead, he went "EEEEE" in a slightly deeper voice. Also, FUNi originally told him that Vegeta was a complete and evil psychopath, so that's what you got. He admitted he did not really play off the princely side like Sabat did. In the future, expect a possible con with Drummond and Sabat together. Drummond said the fans would "go bananas". I know I would.

Anyways, that's a fun fact.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

User avatar
batistabus
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1651
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:55 pm
Location: Western Massachusetts

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by batistabus » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:56 pm

Attitudefan wrote:
Mewzard wrote:In the future, expect a possible con with Drummond and Sabat together. Drummond said the fans would "go bananas". I know I would.

Anyways, that's a fun fact.
That'd be pretty awesome, but if they somehow got Horikawa to show up, I'd shit bricks. Vegetacon Forever.

User avatar
Attitudefan
I Live Here
Posts: 2963
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:51 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:59 pm

batistabus wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:
Mewzard wrote:In the future, expect a possible con with Drummond and Sabat together. Drummond said the fans would "go bananas". I know I would.

Anyways, that's a fun fact.
That'd be pretty awesome, but if they somehow got Horikawa to show up, I'd shit bricks. Vegetacon Forever.
Oh yeah, it would be amazing. I never been to a con but I would go for that.

About Kelamis not even being asked to audition; that's a shame, Ocean missed out on that one.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3583
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:05 pm

Attitudefan wrote:
Mewzard wrote:It's funny, that was the exact same situation for most of the Funi cast as well. Who knew DBZ started so many voice acting careers, lol.

If Drummond does come back, I am really curious to see what kind of performance he will give. He's a good actor, but you never know with any given role how an actor might take them based on script, direction, and what feels right.
I heard it or at least a quick line from him. It is deeper but still awesome. Have you seen the "Over 9000" Rap featuring Drummond. It sounds roughly like that... or that's how he sounded when I was in the gym. Fun Fact: Drummond could not scream in the high pitch voice you hear so instead, he went "EEEEE" in a slightly deeper voice. Also, FUNi originally told him that Vegeta was a complete and evil psychopath, so that's what you got. He admitted he did not really play off the princely side like Sabat did. In the future, expect a possible con with Drummond and Sabat together. Drummond said the fans would "go bananas". I know I would.
Aww HELL yes! That way we could get a simultaneous "IT'S OVER 9,000" from both of the English Vegetas...oh the epicosity!

And before anybody rushes in to be the party-pooper, yes, I know that the "It's over 9,000" meme has been repeated and done to death. I too find it annoying when it's repeated all the time. However, I'm not against hearing it again if there's a new or special twist to it. I know a simultaneous shouting of the line with both Sabat and Drummond would fit the bill for me. Heck, I'm looking forward to hearing Drummond shouting that line on his own in the Kai dub.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
CaBrPi
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1158
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:15 pm
Location: D/FW, Texas

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by CaBrPi » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:15 pm

I'd want them to have a TFS-esque scream-off.

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by penguintruth » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:10 pm

Obviously the phrase for a proper faceoff is "YOU WON'T ESCAPE... MY WRATH!"
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3583
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:24 am

I just thought of something...

It seems, based on the most recent hints we've been dropped, that the new Goku is either Allesandro Juliani or Richard Ian Cox. If it is Allesandro Juliani, though...then the inevitable Ocean dub of the Kai-Buu arc will be littered with unintentional break-the-fourth-wall humor when we hear Juliani's (hypothetical) Goku interacting with Brad Swaile's Gohan. They'll be playing father and son, when in the last dub they were in together ("Death Note"), their characters were arch rivals bent on defeating each other.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Post Reply