Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3489
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:51 pm

I hope we do get to see it at all.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I will not be satisfied until my pessimism crushes your spirit.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

User avatar
Majin Steve
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:03 am
Location: Northern Ireland, UK

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Majin Steve » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:47 pm

Hello all! joined solely for this great topic.

Now the curious thing is, I am say 95% sure Ocean will not get a DVD release in the UK. We have only in say the last decade ever gotten a one or two early movies and now we're getting the Funi Orange bricks. Cupped with Manga Entertainment categorically saying they're never going to licesnse Ocean's dub.

Now that makes you wonder just who is "Ocean" producing this dub for? If we go on the hypothesis that Ocean will no longer be applicable to the UK on the basis of Kix airing Funimation's Kai, then that means they'd be making the dub for what? Canada, Sweden and ROI(?) Now removing the UK surely that's going to be a huge loss of money since some cast and staff would even refer to the dub as 'the UK dub'.

The most likely situations I see are Kix have licensed DBZ Kai Funi and are marathoning that, and they will either

A.) Air all their eps by the end of February and switch to the (hopefully ready) Ocean's dub some time later for the rest of the show? [Surely by now they must have got under a hundred emails about this 'Ocean' and are atleast wondering. I myself wrote them all about it and the dub currently being produced]. Then let their Funi license expire and just air all the Ocean eps again from the start.

B.) Air all of Funi's eps and then when Ocean are ready they will license it and advertise it as a new spin on the show.


C.) But I also easily see another channel like Nickelodeon or more likely Disney XD or Cartoon Network taking on the Ocean dub when it's ready. Let's face it, while Kix is pulling in big numbers no doubt, those channels are gonna have more exposure.

User avatar
90sDBZ
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1905
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am
Location: UK

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:50 pm

Kix won't change the dub at this point. Showing 2 new episodes a day isn't something they just do with DBZ Kai but with all their shows. And by the time they've run all 53 episodes the newer part of the fanbase will be established and they wouldn't want them to mess with a show they already love and Kix wouldn't want to lose the FUNi fans as viewers either.

Anyway I'm pretty sure somebody posted early in 2012 that Ocean were meant to have already passed the Frieza saga so somebody obviously made the decision to air FUNi over Ocean. Most likely Toei used common sense and realised that showing FUNi's dub would help the sales of the orange Bricks released here in the UK while the Ocean dub being shown would either put fans of the bricks off watching Kai or put fans of Kai off buying the bricks. They opted for FUNi with the bricks so I don't see why they'd treat Kai any differently.

I'd imagine that Ocean Kai will end up in Canada, Holland and other English speaking countries that haven't had it yet. Maybe there were considerations to give it to the UK too but the release of the orange bricks changed those plans. That would explain why some of the cast called it the UK dub anyway. Toei were really hands-on and specific about what version of DBZ they wanted released on DVD here and I have no doubt they will release FUNi Kai on DVD here too so again showing the FUNi dub on TV will tie in with that nicely.

User avatar
songohan619
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1428
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:17 am
Location: Askøy, Norway

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by songohan619 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:27 pm

Majin Steve wrote:Hello all! joined solely for this great topic.

Now the curious thing is, I am say 95% sure Ocean will not get a DVD release in the UK. We have only in say the last decade ever gotten a one or two early movies and now we're getting the Funi Orange bricks. Cupped with Manga Entertainment categorically saying they're never going to licesnse Ocean's dub.

Now that makes you wonder just who is "Ocean" producing this dub for? If we go on the hypothesis that Ocean will no longer be applicable to the UK on the basis of Kix airing Funimation's Kai, then that means they'd be making the dub for what? Canada, Sweden and ROI(?) Now removing the UK surely that's going to be a huge loss of money since some cast and staff would even refer to the dub as 'the UK dub'.

The most likely situations I see are Kix have licensed DBZ Kai Funi and are marathoning that, and they will either

A.) Air all their eps by the end of February and switch to the (hopefully ready) Ocean's dub some time later for the rest of the show? [Surely by now they must have got under a hundred emails about this 'Ocean' and are atleast wondering. I myself wrote them all about it and the dub currently being produced]. Then let their Funi license expire and just air all the Ocean eps again from the start.

B.) Air all of Funi's eps and then when Ocean are ready they will license it and advertise it as a new spin on the show.


C.) But I also easily see another channel like Nickelodeon or more likely Disney XD or Cartoon Network taking on the Ocean dub when it's ready. Let's face it, while Kix is pulling in big numbers no doubt, those channels are gonna have more exposure.
...Sweden? o.O

elcrunkus
Newbie
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:23 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by elcrunkus » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:49 pm

WHen is canada getting kai? has holland got it yet? What other countries got the westwood ocean dub?

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 192
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:10 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:08 pm

elcrunkus wrote:What other countries got the westwood ocean dub?
If I'm not mistaken, the U.K., Ireland, and Netherlands immediately switched over to Westwood on Episode 123 (108) and Canada swtiched over by 183 (168). Since the U.K. is obviously receiving the Funimation dub, that just leaves Canada, Ireland, and the Netherlands (I'm not sure if any other countries besides these four received the Westwood dub).

It'd be kinda ironic if Ireland received the Ocean Kai dub. As if the two countries don't have enough to fight about. :lol:

User avatar
Majin Steve
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:03 am
Location: Northern Ireland, UK

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Majin Steve » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:06 am

tell me about it, I'm from Northern Ireland. Rioting here's mental atm.

but then again Cartoon Network, Toonami, Nickelodeon etc are all a shared channel between UK & Ireland. So if UK don't get it I think that'd rule Ireland out to and leave even fewer countries and fewer money. This is all so mysterious.

We'll all get to see it in some form any way, hopefully this year.

User avatar
Majin Steve
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:03 am
Location: Northern Ireland, UK

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Majin Steve » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:25 am

Oh yeah, I know it'll be Dragon Soul (with proper singers) but imagine they just said screw it and did a cool super recover of Rock The Dragon for their opening?

User avatar
KingofWisdom
Regular
Posts: 563
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: Miami, Florida

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by KingofWisdom » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:43 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see a replacement opening, since that would save some money.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

User avatar
Ringworm128
I Live Here
Posts: 2890
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:46 am

Here's a thought, what if they're simply airing the Funi dub until the Ocean dub is complete? Going from Funi actors to Ocean actors, it would be like a reverse 1999 :lol:.
Majin Steve wrote:Oh yeah, I know it'll be Dragon Soul (with proper singers) but imagine they just said screw it and did a cool super recover of Rock The Dragon for their opening?
I would be ok with that. :) :thumbup:
Retired from forum discussion.
[Avatar by Ei_Flow]

User avatar
Attitudefan
I Live Here
Posts: 2963
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:51 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:35 pm

From what I know now, supposedly, around March, the clause that keeps the project a secret ends or something like that. Wait until March or a little after.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

User avatar
Solidus
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:00 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Solidus » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:41 pm

Attitudefan wrote:From what I know now, supposedly, around March, the clause that keeps the project a secret ends or something like that. Wait until March or a little after.
Thanks for that news, that's good to hear. They should have the Cell arc finished now and beginning work on Boo. If March is when the clause is up then we might get an official announcement, I don't see the point in letting the actors talk about the project without making it official. The producers might as well announce it in that month what with all the hype surrounding Battle of Gods.

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3540
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:36 pm

Solidus wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:From what I know now, supposedly, around March, the clause that keeps the project a secret ends or something like that. Wait until March or a little after.
Thanks for that news, that's good to hear. They should have the Cell arc finished now and beginning work on Boo. If March is when the clause is up then we might get an official announcement, I don't see the point in letting the actors talk about the project without making it official. The producers might as well announce it in that month what with all the hype surrounding Battle of Gods.
I wonder if that's exactly what they've been waiting for. Just turning March into an all-out "Dragon Ball" marketing blitz on every single possible front.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
Gonstead
I Live Here
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:33 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Gonstead » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:17 pm

That indeed would be pretty cool to see.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

User avatar
Attitudefan
I Live Here
Posts: 2963
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:51 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:19 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Solidus wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:From what I know now, supposedly, around March, the clause that keeps the project a secret ends or something like that. Wait until March or a little after.
Thanks for that news, that's good to hear. They should have the Cell arc finished now and beginning work on Boo. If March is when the clause is up then we might get an official announcement, I don't see the point in letting the actors talk about the project without making it official. The producers might as well announce it in that month what with all the hype surrounding Battle of Gods.
I wonder if that's exactly what they've been waiting for. Just turning March into an all-out "Dragon Ball" marketing blitz on every single possible front.
I think it has to do with the contracts. Maybe they thought it would take longer than it would? I don't know. What I do know is, Drummond is more excited playing Wolverine for an animated version of the comics, which are darker than the regular cartoons. Also, if you're interested, Wolverine and Hulk are starring in a new cartoon coming out in a month or so.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

User avatar
Fizzer
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1396
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Fizzer » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:02 pm

This is flipping exciting.

User avatar
Hades
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:30 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Hades » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:31 am

Attitudefan wrote:From what I know now, supposedly, around March, the clause that keeps the project a secret ends or something like that. Wait until March or a little after.
Maybe then we'll find out WHY it has taken so long for this dub to be released. :eh:
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by penguintruth » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:38 pm

Please. I'll believe this when I see it... hear it, I guess, since it's an audio track.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
Mewzard
I Live Here
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:02 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Mewzard » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:54 pm

penguintruth wrote:Please. I'll believe this when I see it... hear it, I guess, since it's an audio track.
At this point, I have to second this. Who spends this much time working on a dub? Even with the secrecy, they should have dubbed every single bit of Kai a while back (then again, given how long it took them to do Inuyasha: The Final Act, maybe I shouldn't be surprised). If this "audio" comes out on April 1st, I won't be surprised (even if not, it won't be that relevant, given Kai has had an English dub for years now, and most countries that would want an English dub have gotten one). At this point, it just seems kinda...pointless. Like waiting to harvest your crops after a massive locust swarm. Not going to be much left to take from your work.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by penguintruth » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:39 pm

I pretty much don't care at this point. It was only ever a curiousity to begin with, but now it feels pointless to anticipate. I'd rather hear news about Funimation dubbing the Buu arc of Kai.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Post Reply