Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Fizzer » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:07 pm

I'm mostly looking forward to these because Kai's Kikuchi placement is hard to do worse than. If the replacement score is decent and they're are no other major fuck-ups, then I'll have a version of Z that doesn't have a huge flaw.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:20 am

ACTUAL NEWS ALERT

So, I recently had asked Peter Berring -the composer of Funimation's original English dub of Dragon Ball- if he remembered who song the theme song, and his reply was Dave Steele.
So, I look up his website, and what do I find? He has returned to the Dragon Ball series nearly two decades later to sing the theme song for the new Ocean Productions dub of Dragon Ball Kai!
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:28 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:ACTUAL NEWS ALERT

So, I recently had asked Peter Berring -the composer of Funimation's original English dub of Dragon Ball- if he remembered who song the theme song, and his reply was Dave Steele.
So, I look up his website, and what do I find? He has returned to the Dragon Ball series nearly two decades later to sing the theme song for the new Ocean Productions dub of Dragon Ball Kai!
Hmmmmm...........interesting..........this would indeed appear to lend credibility to Sean Schemmel's claim that the music will be replaced.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:29 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:ACTUAL NEWS ALERT

This is the absolute worst thing I have ever heard.... :x

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:32 am

Yeah... Kind of disappointing to say the least. If it had been as good as the theme used for Dragon Ball, that would be a different story. Actually, this has me a bit worried about how the BGM will turn out...
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:40 am

Yikes. That's... not even ironically good. Shame, too -- I liked the first DragonBall theme, it was quite catchy and captured the adventurous spirit of the show.

I don't care about the music given Japan can't even decide what belongs with Kai. At this point, I'm just worried about content edits. My money is on their footage being based on the Nicktoons edit, given that Ocean is listed as responsible for the edits in the broadcast credits.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:22 am

I'll just say what I said on Twitter. It sounds like a bad Power Rangers theme (read as rejected Power Rangers theme). I'm baffled that Dragon Ball still is getting replacement music. Makes me glad that other than dubbing songs, FUNimation left the music untouched for their dub. If the script and acting is well done I can forgive a terrible opening.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:36 am

Ugh.... I can't even find enjoyment of of "so bad, it's good" for that. Just... why?
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:44 am

Part of me is disappointed, but another part of me as a dub collector is kind of excited about seeing something very different from other dubs.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:02 am

That seriously was awful, it's even worse than the rap openings 4kids does for their dubs.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:05 am

One of the things I'm having a hard time determining is whether or not that's a brief sample or the whole song. When I saw that it was 22 seconds, I assumed it was just a sample and that all the other samples were that length as well...but all the other ones (at least on that site) are longer, and sound like complete themes.

If that 22-second clip is really the whole song....well.......no comment.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:25 am

Well, I um....It's no Dragon Soul. Not by a long-shot, but I don't dislike it at all.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:55 am

The quality aside, is it really a song to the dub? It doesn't say "Kai".

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:02 am

kei17 wrote:The quality aside, is it really a song to the dub? It doesn't say "Kai".
It is, it's subtle, but after Dragon Ball Z, he quickly sings Kai after it.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:11 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:One of the things I'm having a hard time determining is whether or not that's a brief sample or the whole song. When I saw that it was 22 seconds, I assumed it was just a sample and that all the other samples were that length as well...but all the other ones (at least on that site) are longer, and sound like complete themes.

If that 22-second clip is really the whole song....well.......no comment.
The previous alternate dubs used 1 minute opening songs.

Assuming that's just a sample, and the song has a proper intro I think it's okay. The "... Kai" part feels very un-Dragon Ball, but the rest seems like a standard hype intro.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:14 am

Castor Troy wrote:This is the absolute worst thing I have ever heard.... :x
Worse than this?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:15 am

Tsukento wrote:
Castor Troy wrote:This is the absolute worst thing I have ever heard.... :x
Worse than this?
I know for a fact that some people love that.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:10 am

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:
kei17 wrote:The quality aside, is it really a song to the dub? It doesn't say "Kai".
Oh, how could I miss that?

Though the sample on the page still must miss the intro part as Super Saiyan Prime stated, I made a quick fan edit of the opening in less than 10 minutes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQc7Geo2Zpw

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:14 am

kei17 wrote:
SSJ4 Furanki wrote:
Oh, how could I miss that?

Though the sample on the page still must miss the intro part as Super Saiyan Prime stated, I made a quick fan edit of the opening in about 10 minutes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQc7Geo2Zpw
You made that work well with the animation, well, as well as it can. I'm surprised he was allowed to post the sample up with how hush-hush the people behind the dub have been about it. A lot of things with Kai are open secrets, haha!

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:03 am

That was terrible. Why couldn't they just give us a remake of Rock the Dragon.