Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:42 am

matiasdf wrote:What do you guys think of the chances (that is, if this ever comes out) that Ian James Corlett is back as Goku?
Non-existent. Besides the fact that a Kanzenshuuer with inside connections already confirmed that it's a new guy, Corlett has said that he'll never work for Ocean again because of how they treated him on payment issue with DBZ. They even offered him to come back and play Goku when the Westwood (post-Saban Ocean) dub started up again, and he said he turned it down because whatever offer they could give him to return would be more insulting than what made him leave. Long story short, Ocean and Corlett are not exactly on speaking terms.

So far, we've gotten only two (very vague) hints on who the new Goku is.

1) He's an unexpected choice. Kirbopher said that once we find out who it is, our first reaction will likely be a somewhat confused, "Huh? You picked him?" But that he will win us over.

2) KaiserNeko gave this vague hint: "It's pretty ironic that they got Kappei Yamaguchi to dub Goku in the Japanese dub of Dragonball Evolution." We have generally taken this to mean that whoever the new Goku is is an English voice actor who previously supplied the English voice for a character that Kappei Yamaguchi played in Japanese.

Ruling out American voice actors since Ocean is a Canadian company, the two voice actors who closest match these two hints are Richard Ian Cox or Alessandro Juliani. I'm betting on Juliani.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Smochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Smochi » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:45 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
matiasdf wrote:
2) KaiserNeko gave this vague hint: "It's pretty ironic that they got Kappei Yamaguchi to dub Goku in the Japanese dub of Dragonball Evolution." We have generally taken this to mean that whoever the new Goku is is an English voice actor who previously supplied the English voice for a character that Kappei Yamaguchi played in Japanese.

Brad Swaile maybe?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:21 am

Smochi wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
matiasdf wrote:

Brad Swaile maybe?
I suggested that myself, actually, back in............

......*Sigh*.......2012.

Although that suggestion was before the Kappei Yamaguchi hint. I can't seem to remember a role off the top of my head that was played in Japanese by Yamaguchi and in English by Swaile. Was there one?

But man, going back and reading those pages is a bit of a bummer. It was right before Kai was going to begin airing in the UK, and we were damn near certain it was going to be the Ocean dub....only for it to be the FUNimation dub. Which, don't get me wrong, I love that dub, but I've seen it before. I was excited to see this new, elusive, only-talked-about-by-certain people dub, and that's not exactly what happened.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Smochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Smochi » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:57 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:It was right before Kai was going to begin airing in the UK, and we were damn near certain it was going to be the Ocean dub....only for it to be the FUNimation dub. Which, don't get me wrong, I love that dub, but I've seen it before. I was excited to see this new, elusive, only-talked-about-by-certain people dub, and that's not exactly what happened.

I feel your pain brother. :(

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:12 am

I remember the disappointment.

matiasdf

Post by matiasdf » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:33 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
matiasdf wrote:What do you guys think of the chances (that is, if this ever comes out) that Ian James Corlett is back as Goku?
Non-existent. Besides the fact that a Kanzenshuuer with inside connections already confirmed that it's a new guy, Corlett has said that he'll never work for Ocean again because of how they treated him on payment issue with DBZ. They even offered him to come back and play Goku when the Westwood (post-Saban Ocean) dub started up again, and he said he turned it down because whatever offer they could give him to return would be more insulting than what made him leave. Long story short, Ocean and Corlett are not exactly on speaking terms.

So far, we've gotten only two (very vague) hints on who the new Goku is.

1) He's an unexpected choice. Kirbopher said that once we find out who it is, our first reaction will likely be a somewhat confused, "Huh? You picked him?" But that he will win us over.

Ruling out American voice actors since Ocean is a Canadian company, the two voice actors who closest match these two hints are Richard Ian Cox or Alessandro Juliani. I'm betting on Juliani.
That´s pretty bad about Ian being such a huge no-no. I think he nailed Goku. He could sound innocent and child-like, but not dumb, just like Goku. he could sound as serious as it gets for Goku when needed. I´ve always wondered how would have he handled Goku´s first transformation into SSJ.

Well, I hope (again, if this ever comes out) Doc Harris is back as the narrator.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:38 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:2) KaiserNeko gave this vague hint: "It's pretty ironic that they got Kappei Yamaguchi to dub Goku in the Japanese dub of Dragonball Evolution."
The irony lies in the fact that Ocean Kai Goku will be voiced by none other than Justin Chatwin.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:50 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: 2) KaiserNeko gave this vague hint: "It's pretty ironic that they got Kappei Yamaguchi to dub Goku in the Japanese dub of Dragonball Evolution." We have generally taken this to mean that whoever the new Goku is is an English voice actor who previously supplied the English voice for a character that Kappei Yamaguchi played in Japanese.

Mr. InuYasha / Ranma / Kudo voices Goku in DB:E?

Heh, well InuYasha was dubbed by the Ocean Group, so perhaps Richard Ian Cox will voice Goku.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:05 pm

I could probably imagine Juliani, acting in a completely non-L-like manner of course, working for Goku, just going off of his voice timbre. But I'm honestly kind of betting on Cox, just because the hint would fit multiple places with him.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:27 am

Kid Buu wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote: 2) KaiserNeko gave this vague hint: "It's pretty ironic that they got Kappei Yamaguchi to dub Goku in the Japanese dub of Dragonball Evolution." We have generally taken this to mean that whoever the new Goku is is an English voice actor who previously supplied the English voice for a character that Kappei Yamaguchi played in Japanese.

Heh, well InuYasha was dubbed by the Ocean Group, so perhaps Richard Ian Cox will voice Goku.
Oh my, Chatku for Goku. That'd be so fun.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:58 am

sangofe wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:

Oh my, Chatku for Goku. That'd be so fun.
Ha, yeah - just when Evolution had began to feel like a distant memory or bad dream to the fandom: surprise!
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

xXInfinite026Xx
Beyond Newbie

Post by xXInfinite026Xx » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:01 pm

Kid Buu wrote:

I was curious to know if there were any other known Canadian VA's that were an english counterpart to Kappei Yamaguchi's roles aside from the well-known Richard Ian Cox and Alessandro Juliani. Lo and behold, I found that shows such as Baby Looney Tunes and Powerpuff Girls Z had featured characters that were voiced by both Yamaguchi and by an actor named Sam Vincent (Double D in Ed, Edd, n Eddy).

Now, this probably a long-shot considering Kaiser's hint probably didn't suggest something that's not common knowledge, but it's very well possible. Sam Vincent has a unique range and can sound both adult and prepubescent, however much like Cox and Juliani, it's still hard to grasp him voicing Goku without hearing their attempt at it first.
My YouTube Channel!
Payne222 wrote:The most overrated character in Dragon Ball is Sasuke. I mean, he can't even go Bankai. How's he gonna be King of the Pirates if he sucks that bad?

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:27 pm

Not that it matters because this thing is never ever coming out, but I always thought that it was "ironic" because Goku would be voiced by the English equivalent of someone who played opposite Kappei Yamaguchi. Maybe that's where the Brad Swaile line of thinking comes from too--Light Yagami vs. L.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:21 pm

It's amazing that this thread has being going strong for nearly four years despite the dub in fact NOT seeming to be coming.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:58 pm

xXInfinite026Xx wrote:I was curious to know if there were any other known Canadian VA's that were an english counterpart to Kappei Yamaguchi's roles aside from the well-known Richard Ian Cox and Alessandro Juliani. Lo and behold, I found that shows such as Baby Looney Tunes and Powerpuff Girls Z had featured characters that were voiced by both Yamaguchi and by an actor named Sam Vincent (Double D in Ed, Edd, n Eddy).

Now, this probably a long-shot considering Kaiser's hint probably didn't suggest something that's not common knowledge, but it's very well possible. Sam Vincent has a unique range and can sound both adult and prepubescent, however much like Cox and Juliani, it's still hard to grasp him voicing Goku without hearing their attempt at it first.
If this dub comes out and Sam Vincent isn't at least doing Krillin I'll be disappointed. I think he'd be perfect for that role.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:34 pm

ABED wrote:It's amazing that this thread has being going strong for nearly four years despite the dub in fact NOT seeming to be coming.
Maybe they're waiting for the Majin Boo's arc to be released so they'll unveil the entire "Ocean Dub" of Kai from Saiyan to Majin Boo without any delays between the story itself, even if this is the case it's cursed with the crappy recycled soundtrack. :(
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:46 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
ABED wrote:It's amazing that this thread has being going strong for nearly four years despite the dub in fact NOT seeming to be coming.
Maybe they're waiting for the Majin Boo's arc to be released so they'll unveil the entire "Ocean Dub" of Kai from Saiyan to Majin Boo without any delays between the story itself, even if this is the case it's cursed with the crappy recycled soundtrack. :(
Which one? Megaman music or the rushed Kikuchi replacement.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:41 am

The Kikuchi replacement but if we were to have a home release it wouldn't be exactly a problem as there are ways to extract and add custom music.

Btw, I kinda liked hearing Megaman's music on DBZ episodes it was strangely fitting. :P
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:04 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:The Kikuchi replacement but if we were to have a home release it wouldn't be exactly a problem as there are ways to extract and add custom music.

Btw, I kinda liked hearing Megaman's music on DBZ episodes it was strangely fitting. :P
I found the Megaman music to be so dull and limited in placement that it made the Kikuchi placement from Kai sound great in comparison.

Still the Monster Rancher music they used later on was pretty good. I wouldn't mind them using that for Kai anyway.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:21 pm

90sDBZ wrote:I found the Megaman music to be so dull and limited in placement that it made the Kikuchi placement from Kai sound great in comparison.

Still the Monster Rancher music they used later on was pretty good. I wouldn't mind them using that for Kai anyway.
The track called "Army/Awakening Theme" (at least on YT) is just AWESOME.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts