Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:31 am

NitroEX wrote:The whole dubbing situation in LA confuses me so I won't say much about that but I do know Funimation acquires a lot of the popular new anime and chooses to dub it in Texas rather than outsourcing to companies like Ocean.
There are a few reasons for this, and they're all related to one another, but here are the big ones:

-FUNimation is the kingpin of the English anime dubbing industry. Whether people like their dubs or not is subjective, but what's not subjective is that, when talking about the business that anime dubbing companies get, FUNimation is easily the biggest name in the business. They get the lion's share of it. Between Dragon Ball's success, their business reputation, and being a non-union dubbing company, they've earned a solid reputation among studios as a cost-effective way to produce good dubs. As for why FUNimation doesn't outsource them, well...it's one of those things where...why would they? They have a huge talent pool now. Dallas, where FUNimation is based, is now considered the dubbing capital of North America. If they have a ton of actors right where they live, they don't see the need to slow things down by hiring a dubbing company somewhere else.

-Speaking of unions...Ocean uses mostly union actors (in this case, ACTRA, the Canadian union). While there certainly are exceptions, union actors tend to be better....but they also cost more, and there's more paperwork involved so that contributions can be made to health insurance and pensions (which is not the case with non-union dubs). Unfortunately, the anime business has been hit very hard by piracy. It has earned a reputation among studios, licensees, and investors as an art form that fans don't pay for. So, studios have to cut costs in response. They're afraid that union dubs will be too much of a hassle and won't make a profit, so they ask for non-union dubs instead. Since Ocean uses union actors, that only leaves so many animes for them to dub. FUNimation will do a union dub on rare occasions, but the only reason they'll do that is if they've acquired a sequel/spinoff/continuation of a previous anime that was a union dub and they want to get the original cast back.

-As for Los Angeles dubs...Los Angeles is a big city for union actors. See above. It has suffered a decrease in work over concerns of making a profit. There used to be around ten union dubs, if not a little more, a year in Los Angeles. Now it's usually 3-5 a year. They still happen, thankfully, but not nearly as often. Heck, even the non-union dubs in Los Angeles tend to cost a little more in general than other non-union dubbing studios.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:23 pm

Bananape wrote:
Theophrastus wrote:I think the last Viz project given to Ocean probably would have been Inuyasha: The Final Act, and that was a few years ago and probably done mainly for consistency with the original series dub.
They are dubbing Cardfight!! Vanguard and Future Card BuddyFight, both of which are still being dubbed. Future Card BuddyFight even airs on Teletoon every week.
Well, yes, but I was talking about work given to them by Viz specifically in that sentence. Viz has nothing to do with Vanguard and Buddyfight, as far as I'm aware.

Bananape
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Bananape » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:16 pm

Theophrastus wrote:
Bananape wrote:
Theophrastus wrote:I think the last Viz project given to Ocean probably would have been Inuyasha: The Final Act, and that was a few years ago and probably done mainly for consistency with the original series dub.
They are dubbing Cardfight!! Vanguard and Future Card BuddyFight, both of which are still being dubbed. Future Card BuddyFight even airs on Teletoon every week.
Well, yes, but I was talking about work given to them by Viz specifically in that sentence. Viz has nothing to do with Vanguard and Buddyfight, as far as I'm aware.
Did I say Viz was involved in those dubs? No.

I felt it necessary to point out that Ocean is still dubbing recent anime since your comment makes it seem like they haven't. Please read posts more carefully in the future...
Last edited by Bananape on Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:54 pm

Bananape wrote:Did I say Viz was involved in those dubs? No.

I felt it necessary to point out that Viz is still dubbing recent anime since your comment makes it seem like they haven't. Please read posts more carefully in the future...

Typos aside, I'm not the one in the wrong here. That paragraph of my post, which you selectively quoted and decided to respond to, was specifically talking about Viz (in reply to NitroEX's post directly above mine where they said that they weren't sure how Viz was doing these days), including their current relationship with Ocean (that being that Viz commissioned a dub of Inuyasha: The Final Act from Ocean a few years ago, and not much else recently).

Don't quote someone if you don't intend your response to be relevant to what they were actually talking about.

Bananape
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Bananape » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:19 pm

Theophrastus wrote:
Bananape wrote:Did I say Viz was involved in those dubs? No.

I felt it necessary to point out that Viz is still dubbing recent anime since your comment makes it seem like they haven't. Please read posts more carefully in the future...

Typos aside, I'm not the one in the wrong here. That paragraph of my post, which you selectively quoted and decided to respond to, was specifically talking about Viz (in reply to NitroEX's post directly above mine where they said that they weren't sure how Viz was doing these days), including their current relationship with Ocean (that being that Viz commissioned a dub of Inuyasha: The Final Act from Ocean a few years ago, and not much else recently).

Don't quote someone if you don't intend your response to be relevant to what they were actually talking about.
Fuck you for making up bullshit lies. That didn't say point out that Viz is still dubbing recent anime, that originally said point out that Ocaen is still dubbing recent anime, which I have now fixed to Ocean. Trying to take advantage of a typo? Fuck you and go to hell.

It still doesn't change the fact that my reply wasn't about Viz's involvement but rather what Ocean has been doing in recent anime dubbing.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:28 pm

Theophrastus did edit the quote. I remember the Ocean misspelling.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:42 pm

jelleline89 wrote:Theophrastus did edit the quote. I remember the Ocean misspelling.
The fuck? No I didn't. I literally did nothing but quote and bold the two sections in question. Maybe the site somehow glitched, but I know what it fucking displayed when I saw and quoted it. What reason would I even have to do randomly edit someone else's post? But hey, good job making it so that only a mod/admin could possibly prove things one way or the other (assuming that they are able to look at all versions of a post).

Whatever. "You win", good job.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:57 pm

To get back on topic, I really have my doubts now that the Ocean dub will ever become a thing. I feel that unless, in some form or fashion, FUNi acquires it and releases it like in a special edition not too dissimilar to the Rock the Dragon Edition, then we will never see it. Ever.

Also, I apologize to anyone or anything where my posts came across as bullying or insulting. I didn't intend that, I'm just super passionate about something I love, probably too passionate. But I'm a fan of Ocean, and considering this does exist and knowing it is being forced out of the public makes a bit hard to deal with. Plus, the heat right now doesn't help! Again, I apologize for my irate posts.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:41 pm

I see it's still a point of debate whether or not the Ocean dub of Kai will ever be released. Honestly, at this point it looks like it's not going to happen. The dub was announced what, four years ago? I just don't see why it wouldn't have been released by now.

Plus, the dub most likely wouldn't be receiving a DVD/Blu-Ray release anyway, so I imagine that would give even less reason to broadcast the dub.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:00 pm

WittyUsername wrote:I see it's still a point of debate whether or not the Ocean dub of Kai will ever be released. Honestly, at this point it looks like it's not going to happen. The dub was announced what, four years ago? I just don't see why it wouldn't have been released by now.

Plus, the dub most likely wouldn't be receiving a DVD/Blu-Ray release anyway, so I imagine that would give even less reason to broadcast the dub.
That might also be the reason Toei doesn't want it released because there is less profit from showing it. People would want to buy what they see on TV, only to have the FUNi dub instead. Sales could potentially be damaged.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:10 am

WittyUsername wrote:The dub was announced what, four years ago? I just don't see why it wouldn't have been released by now.
Technically it has never been announced. Not in an official capacity. People who shouldn't have talked talked, and the first instance of this happened five years ago. Actually, rather ironically, the first relatively high-ranking person to acknowledge it was Sean Schemmel.

To answer your second question, the problem appears to be that no Canadian TV network is interested in it. Anime isn't what it used to be. It used to be seen as a great investment for TV networks, and now it's considered a huge risk that normally doesn't pay off.

This dub definitely does exist, though, whether we see it or not. To think, there are fully-produced episodes, at least till the end of the Cell arc, sitting in a hard drive somewhere in Vancouver......
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Bananape
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Bananape » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:04 am

Theophrastus wrote:
jelleline89 wrote:Theophrastus did edit the quote. I remember the Ocean misspelling.
The fuck? No I didn't. I literally did nothing but quote and bold the two sections in question. Maybe the site somehow glitched, but I know what it fucking displayed when I saw and quoted it. What reason would I even have to do randomly edit someone else's post? But hey, good job making it so that only a mod/admin could possibly prove things one way or the other (assuming that they are able to look at all versions of a post).

I know what I wrote, as does another user, and no one's buying your bullshit. GG.
Attitudefan wrote:To get back on topic, I really have my doubts now that the Ocean dub will ever become a thing. I feel that unless, in some form or fashion, FUNi acquires it and releases it like in a special edition not too dissimilar to the Rock the Dragon Edition, then we will never see it. Ever.

Also, I apologize to anyone or anything where my posts came across as bullying or insulting. I didn't intend that, I'm just super passionate about something I love, probably too passionate. But I'm a fan of Ocean, and considering this does exist and knowing it is being forced out of the public makes a bit hard to deal with. Plus, the heat right now doesn't help! Again, I apologize for my irate posts.
Never say never. We may very well see this dub one day, but I definitely don't believe it will be from a FUNimation distribution. Maybe it will be streamed on Shomi? They recently acquired Pokémon so there's that. Netflix Canada is another possibility. I've seen them streaming Ocean-dubbed anime like Death Note.
TheBlackPaladin wrote:Technically it has never been announced. Not in an official capacity. People who shouldn't have talked talked, and the first instance of this happened five years ago. Actually, rather ironically, the first relatively high-ranking person to acknowledge it was Sean Schemmel.

To answer your second question, the problem appears to be that no Canadian TV network is interested in it. Anime isn't what it used to be. It used to be seen as a great investment for TV networks, and now it's considered a huge risk that normally doesn't pay off.

This dub definitely does exist, though, whether we see it or not. To think, there are fully-produced episodes, at least till the end of the Cell arc, sitting in a hard drive somewhere in Vancouver......
5 years? That's a long time when you really think about it. It would be cool if we got at least a sample clip of what the dub would sound like. Surely Ocean could whip that up.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:01 am

Theophrastus wrote:The fuck? No I didn't. I literally did nothing but quote and bold the two sections in question. Maybe the site somehow glitched, but I know what it fucking displayed when I saw and quoted it. What reason would I even have to do randomly edit someone else's post? But hey, good job making it so that only a mod/admin could possibly prove things one way or the other (assuming that they are able to look at all versions of a post).

I have no way of seeing what the real story is behind this quote drama, but the attitudes here are totally out of line. Don't talk down to or lash out at other forum members. Account strikes have gone out.
-Rachel

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:14 am

It's been 5 years so I think it's safe to say the "well they never really announced it" excuse is wearing thin.

My four best guesses are...

1: As mentioned above the dub is ready but companies think it's wiser to just not release them as they would probably lose money.

2: There are multiple companies involved making it a clusterfuck.

3: There waiting for the recent DB boom to end in order not to flood the market.

4: Scott McNeil, Sean Scheme and others all got together to pull a massive act of trolling.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:45 am

I can't see that trolling being an option. At all.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:58 am

I'm still not entirely sure who is even footing the bill for this to exist. Who commissioned Ocean to dub Kai? Toei? FUNimation? The Canadian goverment?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:24 pm

ringworm128 wrote:
4: Scott McNeil, Sean Scheme and others all got together to pull a massive act of trolling.
Lee Tockar, Richard Ian Cox, Cole Howard and several others have all confirmed they worked on this. Why would three people who have never been associated with the franchise have a reason to lie about this?

There is no way this is a fake rumor/urban legend.
B wrote:I'm still not entirely sure who is even footing the bill for this to exist. Who commissioned Ocean to dub Kai? Toei? FUNimation? The Canadian goverment?
Whoever payed for their Cell/Buu arc dub probably.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:32 pm

That last "guess" was just me trying to make a silly joke.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:44 am

This article/blog post is kinda old now (2010) but I thought it was relevant to the question of why less dubs are done in Canada so I'll leave it here.

It appears the economy had a lot to do with the decline of Canadian anime dubs which is something I wasn't aware of.

https://imissbionix.wordpress.com/2010/ ... adian-dub/

Singh is King
Beyond Newbie

Post by Singh is King » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:17 am

NitroEX wrote:This article/blog post is kinda old now (2010) but I thought it was relevant to the question of why less dubs are done in Canada so I'll leave it here.

It appears the economy had a lot to do with the decline of Canadian anime dubs which is something I wasn't aware of.

https://imissbionix.wordpress.com/2010/ ... adian-dub/
It's a real shame because FUNimation uses the same voice actors using the same voices in many of their dubs of Anime these days: I like their Kai dub and some of their other dubs, but I like to see other talent like the Canadian staff (e.g. Ocean Group) get work as well.