Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon May 04, 2020 12:09 am

Arian wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:21 pmNow, while the people at Time Warner/WarnerMedia do not have a clue about Canadian TV politics and how much more of a monopoly it is here than it is down south, I do want to counter your comparison between [adult swim] and YTV/Teletoon. YTV and Teletoon are Corus' own properties, and perhaps they're not putting anime on those networks any longer because for whatever reason they don't think it's appropriate or of interest to kids, that's totally in the realm of possibility.
Dragon Ball would look out of place in present-day YTV's lineup of Nickelodeon reruns and Disney movies, but Teletoon still airs DCAU stuff. Some of which is far more adult than Dragon Ball is.
Arian wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:21 pmWith [adult swim], that's a Time Warner property that has been established for having comedy, animation, and Japanese animation at its forefront. Corus honouring that tradition can only work in their favour. It's also geared towards older teens and adults, throwing the possibility of "protecting the children" out the window. Also, in the minds of Corus executives, this can possibly work, and as Robo may or may not have said here (we do pow-wow a lot together), after the initial 98 episodes of Kai have aired, Corus can from there commission fully uncut dubs of the franchise from Ocean then on.
The problem with Adult Swim Canada is that it's another Corus channel. They don't acquire many shows from independent producers anymore, especially when it's for the U.S. licensed channels. Those mostly exist to coast off of brand recognition and whatever programming Corus got with the licensing deal. Adult Swim Canada is a pretty standard example of that. Its lineup consists of stuff it got from Williams Street, shows they got from Teletoon contracts (the Fox library, Cancon and Harley Quinn) and random movie assortments bought for Movietime/IFC/Action, etc. The Boondocks doesn't air on Adult Swim Canada because it's owned by Sony and that would require Corus to pick something up specifically for the channel.

Don't let me stop you from sending them emails. I just feel like we've done this song and dance many times before and I don't see why the answer would be any different.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Mon May 04, 2020 1:01 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:09 amThe problem with Adult Swim Canada is that it's another Corus channel. They don't acquire many shows from independent producers anymore, especially when it's for the U.S. licensed channels. Those mostly exist to coast off of brand recognition and whatever programming Corus got with the licensing deal. Adult Swim Canada is a pretty standard example of that. Its lineup consists of stuff it got from Williams Street, shows they got from Teletoon contracts (the Fox library, Cancon and Harley Quinn) and random movie assortments bought for Movietime/IFC/Action, etc. The Boondocks doesn't air on Adult Swim Canada because it's owned by Sony and that would require Corus to pick something up specifically for the channel.

Don't let me stop you from sending them emails. I just feel like we've done this song and dance many times before and I don't see why the answer would be any different.
What's sad is that a lot of that is painfully accurate.

The factor I'm counting on though, is the influence that the Time Warner people have over Corus. Like you said, brand recognition is big for them. Corus looks at what they do in the U.S. and wish to emulate it. And in this case, if the people at Time Warner suggest to Corus to do something such as launching Toonami in Canada, it would be something they'd at least take under advisement. On top of Dragon Ball Kai, there are quite a few titles they could get their hands on to fill quotas and things of that nature, like World Trigger, Gintama, etc.

Now I know doing more than the bare minimum is really out of character for modern-day Corus, but with the parent company of [adult swim] (sort of) having our backs on this one, it's at least worth entertaining for a little while at least.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

C. Smith

Post by C. Smith » Fri May 08, 2020 10:28 pm

Not related to Dragon Ball but we got a new InuYasha anime coming out
https://twitter.com/RanobeSugoi/status/ ... 0806749185

Maybe this will give [as] Canada or Wow's channel a reason to air TFA to prep, if it gets licensed and dubbed that is.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri May 08, 2020 11:59 pm

C. Smith wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:28 pm Not related to Dragon Ball but we got a new InuYasha anime coming out

Maybe this will give [as] Canada or Wow's channel a reason to air TFA to prep, if it gets licensed and dubbed that is.
Here's hoping Vancouver gets to hang on to that project. Seems like a lot of projects that used to cast Vancouver actors are lately going to LA...which makes me happy as an LA-based voice actor, but upset as a fan who appreciates cast continuity.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun May 10, 2020 2:19 pm

C. Smith wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:28 pm Not related to Dragon Ball but we got a new InuYasha anime coming out

I've never watched Inuyasha, although I really want to.

I reckon a future dub of this series will be another Vancouver/Calgary collaboration or go to Bang Zoom in this day and age, although I can't imagine fans will be happy with the latter.

Getting back to the topic at hand, maybe if there is a significant push from fans to keep the Inuyasha dub in Canada it will help Kai's chances through an increased interest in locally produced dubs.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun May 10, 2020 4:21 pm

Inuyasha -- whose title character was voiced by the newest Goku is coming out! Coincidence!? I think not!! Though definitely, yes.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon May 11, 2020 6:29 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:19 pm I reckon a future dub of this series will be another Vancouver/Calgary collaboration
Given how well-liked the InuYasha dub is, I imagine it's quite likely it'll stay at Ocean. But I dunno.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:19 pm or go to Bang Zoom in this day and age, although I can't imagine fans will be happy with the latter.
I think a Bang Zoom move is very possible. Ever since certain Funi people moved to Viz, they pretty much entirely stopped working with Ocean, so it's entirely possible those at Viz who've pushed them away from working with Ocean in the past will continue this and take InuYasha away too. Such people almost certainly do not give a single shit what the fans think; it's all about the money. So as disappointing as it would be, it wouldn't be all that surprising.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:19 pm Getting back to the topic at hand, maybe if there is a significant push from fans to keep the Inuyasha dub in Canada it will help Kai's chances through an increased interest in locally produced dubs.
:thumbup:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

C. Smith

Post by C. Smith » Wed May 13, 2020 3:09 am

Robo4900 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:29 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:19 pm or go to Bang Zoom in this day and age, although I can't imagine fans will be happy with the latter.
I think a Bang Zoom move is very possible. Ever since certain Funi people moved to Viz, they pretty much entirely stopped working with Ocean, so it's entirely possible those at Viz who've pushed them away from working with Ocean in the past will continue this and take InuYasha away too. Such people almost certainly do not give a single shit what the fans think; it's all about the money. So as disappointing as it would be, it wouldn't be all that surprising.
That's not how it works though

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed May 13, 2020 7:31 am

C. Smith wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:09 am
I mean, isn't it?

IIRC Viz tends to license InuYasha, and IIRC there's nothing in particular that tends to protect stuff like this from going to another dubbing company for a new iteration, and IIRC Bang Zoom is generally cheaper than Ocean, so...

C. Smith

Post by C. Smith » Wed May 13, 2020 1:06 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:31 am

I mean, isn't it?

IIRC Viz tends to license InuYasha, and IIRC there's nothing in particular that tends to protect stuff like this from going to another dubbing company for a new iteration, and IIRC Bang Zoom is generally cheaper than Ocean, so...
I was referring to the the comment "Ever since certain Funi people moved to Viz, they pretty much entirely stopped working with Ocean, so it's entirely possible those at Viz who've pushed them away from working with Ocean in the past will continue this and take InuYasha away too", like what did you mean by that? Who are those people?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed May 13, 2020 3:10 pm

C. Smith wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:06 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:31 am

I mean, isn't it?

I was referring to the the comment "Ever since certain Funi people moved to Viz, they pretty much entirely stopped working with Ocean, so it's entirely possible those at Viz who've pushed them away from working with Ocean in the past will continue this and take InuYasha away too", like what did you mean by that? Who are those people?
It's something I heard... I think on these forums?
The point when Viz stopped working with Ocean was also the same time when some people who worked at Funi in positions of some influence moved to similarly influential positions at Viz, apparently.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed May 13, 2020 4:17 pm

I'm the person who said that. The name that comes to mind is Charlene Ingram, though those dates don't lineup as nicely as I remembered them. I want to say she wasn't the only one who made that move, but I'm struggling to pull up other names. Maybe I've got correlation and causation confused here.

There was a time when Viz was pretty much just releasing Bleach, Naruto, Pokemon and little else. Then, to support Neon Alley (when it was a linear streaming channel), they started picking up a handful of lesser-known shows. In the years since Neon Allery flopped, they're pickier about what they acquire but their output is still larger than it was before. With the exception of Boruto (which is unionized because the original series was), all of their dubs have been non-union LA projects from Bang Zoom and Studiopolis. They went from mainly using Ocean since they started releasing anime, to going an entire decade without. That's why there's a lot of uncertainty with Yashahime.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

C. Smith

Post by C. Smith » Thu May 14, 2020 2:29 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:17 pm I'm the person who said that. The name that comes to mind is Charlene Ingram, though those dates don't lineup as nicely as I remembered them. I want to say she wasn't the only one who made that move, but I'm struggling to pull up other names. Maybe I've got correlation and causation confused here.

There was a time when Viz was pretty much just releasing Bleach, Naruto, Pokemon and little else. Then, to support Neon Alley (when it was a linear streaming channel), they started picking up a handful of lesser-known shows. In the years since Neon Allery flopped, they're pickier about what they acquire but their output is still larger than it was before. With the exception of Boruto (which is unionized because the original series was), all of their dubs have been non-union LA projects from Bang Zoom and Studiopolis. They went from mainly using Ocean since they started releasing anime, to going an entire decade without. That's why there's a lot of uncertainty with Yashahime.
Viz had been using LA long before Neon Alley came around. Also the ratio was not favorable and there weren't any Canadian channels willing to air anime. You gotta remember that Viz is a manga publisher first and foremost so anime is secondary for them

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu May 14, 2020 11:43 am

The LA dubs from Viz picked up once they merged with ShoPro USA in the early '00s. Shows like Death Note, NANA and Hunter x Hunter ('99) all happened post-merger, though. It was when the 2010s rolled around that they stopped working with Ocean entirely. The ratio you're talking about is presumably the exchange rate? The last time that was favourable to Canada was in 2012. Right now, $1 USD = $1.4 CDN. That should mean the prospects of Yashahime being dubbed by Ocean would be better, but it's been 10 years since Viz has sent anything their way.

Canadian TV is not a major factor in what gets dubbed in Canada. Maybe if that broadcaster was the first international one to pick up a show, but even then. Just look at what's currently airing on Canadian television: Bakugan, Beyblade, Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!. Of those four, only one is a Canadian dub. Historically, Beyblade was always dubbed in Canada (primarily in Toronto), but not anymore. That was a Canadian dub with placement on mainstream Canadian TV and yet Bang Zoom is working on it now. Someone will always do it cheaper.

C. Smith

Post by C. Smith » Thu May 14, 2020 5:32 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:43 am Canadian TV is not a major factor in what gets dubbed in Canada. Maybe if that broadcaster was the first international one to pick up a show, but even then. Just look at what's currently airing on Canadian television: Bakugan, Beyblade, Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!. Of those four, only one is a Canadian dub. Historically, Beyblade was always dubbed in Canada (primarily in Toronto), but not anymore. That was a Canadian dub with placement on mainstream Canadian TV and yet Bang Zoom is working on it now. Someone will always do it cheaper.
It is, actually. Having it dubbed in Canada makes it Canadian Content, and Canadian TV network favor Canadian Content. If it wasn't then Geneon USA and Bandai would never have given dubs to Vancouver in the first place. The reason those two companies gave dubs to Vancouver was to guarantee them a shot at airing on Canadian TV.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu May 14, 2020 6:17 pm

C. Smith wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:32 pm
Super Saiyan Prime wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:43 am Canadian TV is not a major factor in what gets dubbed in Canada. Maybe if that broadcaster was the first international one to pick up a show, but even then. Just look at what's currently airing on Canadian television: Bakugan, Beyblade, Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!. Of those four, only one is a Canadian dub. Historically, Beyblade was always dubbed in Canada (primarily in Toronto), but not anymore. That was a Canadian dub with placement on mainstream Canadian TV and yet Bang Zoom is working on it now. Someone will always do it cheaper.
It is, actually. Having it dubbed in Canada makes it Canadian Content, and Canadian TV network favor Canadian Content. If it wasn't then Geneon USA and Bandai would never have given dubs to Vancouver in the first place. The reason those two companies gave dubs to Vancouver was to guarantee them a shot at airing on Canadian TV.
Canadian TV networks don't favour local content. Just look at any major channel's primetime schedule. Adult Swim, the one you guys are currently trying to pitch this dub to, is a good example of that. They run their contractually obligated quotas during the mornings when people (in a normal, non-Coronavirus world) are usually at school or work. It's been that way since the channel launched in April 2019. Does that sound like they care about Canadian content?

Geneon is an interesting company to bring up because their output agrees with what I've been saying. Outside of the DBZ movie trilogy, very few of their shows ever made it onto Canadian television. Of those that did, only two (Black Lagoon and Tokyo Underground) had dubs produced in Canada. The rest were all Bang Zoom and New Generation Pictures projects from LA. They had Ocean do a lot more than just two shows and those DBZ movies (which I'm not sure YTV got from them).

C. Smith

Post by C. Smith » Thu May 14, 2020 7:01 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:17 pm
C. Smith wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:32 pm
Canadian TV networks don't favour local content. Just look at any major channel's primetime schedule. Adult Swim, the one you guys are currently trying to pitch this dub to, is a good example of that. They run their contractually obligated quotas during the mornings when people (in a normal, non-Coronavirus world) are usually at school or work. It's been that way since the channel launched in April 2019. Does that sound like they care about Canadian content?

Geneon is an interesting company to bring up because their output agrees with what I've been saying. Outside of the DBZ movie trilogy, very few of their shows ever made it onto Canadian television. Of those that did, only two (Black Lagoon and Tokyo Underground) had dubs produced in Canada. The rest were all Bang Zoom and New Generation Pictures projects from LA. They had Ocean do a lot more than just two shows and those DBZ movies (which I'm not sure YTV got from them).
None of Geneon's shows went to YTV. All of them aired on G4 Canada

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu May 14, 2020 7:13 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:17 pm Canadian TV networks don't favour local content. Just look at any major channel's primetime schedule. Adult Swim, the one you guys are currently trying to pitch this dub to, is a good example of that. They run their contractually obligated quotas during the mornings when people (in a normal, non-Coronavirus world) are usually at school or work. It's been that way since the channel launched in April 2019. Does that sound like they care about Canadian content?
Canadian TV stations are required to air at least 50-60% Canadian-produced content on their channels depending on what channel & what time of day.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_ ... egulations
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Thu May 14, 2020 7:35 pm

C. Smith wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:01 pmNone of Geneon's shows went to YTV. All of them aired on G4 Canada.
Scsigs wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:13 pmCanadian TV stations are required to air at least 50-60% Canadian-produced content on their channels depending on what channel & what time of day.
It's mind boggling how little you both are paying attention to what he's actually saying.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu May 14, 2020 9:14 pm

C. Smith wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:01 pm None of Geneon's shows went to YTV. All of them aired on G4 Canada
That's not entirely true. Anyway, that reference was in regards to the three uncut Dragon Ball Z movies Geneon (then Pioneer) had Ocean dub. YTV aired those. Did they get them from Geneon? I don't know.
Scsigs wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:13 pm Canadian TV stations are required to air at least 50-60% Canadian-produced content on their channels depending on what channel & what time of day.
I wasn't arguing against the existence of Cancon quotas. I was arguing against broadcaster interest in fulfilling them. There used to be more stringent guidelines in the past (have to air x hours after 6PM, can't all be reruns, etc.), but those have eroded alongside viewership of linear channels.