Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:49 am

I mean, he does voice Goku, but... is he really that big of a star that nobody can put him in his place? Seriously, I wouldn't take that disrespect from anyone, especially someone who's not as big as they think they are.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:34 pm

Personally the hate circle for Schemmel is really overblown.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:40 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:18 am Sean Schemmel is a notorious rube whose friends struggle to put up with his douche-iness. He's a self-important twerp people put up with because they swim in the same pond.
Agreed. He seems like an insecure "nice guy".
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:35 pm

SX10 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:40 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:18 am Sean Schemmel is a notorious rube whose friends struggle to put up with his douche-iness. He's a self-important twerp people put up with because they swim in the same pond.
Disagree, he does not come off as insecure to me at all.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Azelf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Azelf89 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:56 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:49 pm At this juncture, I feel it is right to once again post my roundup of everything we know about Ocean Kai:
I updated this repository of info recently, but haven't posted it in this thread for a while, so I thought I'd post it again.
Plus, it's relevant to the rest of this post now...
Just to point out, you should also add in the info that I had found out regarding Steve Olson (the narrator for the Blue Water dubs of GT and OG DB):
Azelf89 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:40 pm While we’re all waiting, here’s something that you guys might find interesting.

A little while back, I contacted Steve Olson (the narrator for the Blue Water dubs of GT and OG DB) on Twitter and asked if he was ever auditioned for Ocean Kai (specifically, reprising his role as the narrator, or at least lending some additional voices for that dub).

Recently (less then 8 months later), he actually responded to my question:
With this, that pretty much confirms that, while he is part of the dub, he’s not back as the narrator. And since Doc Harris has already confirmed that he wasn’t back either, unless they got Jim Conrad (BLT dub narrator) to reprise the role, I think it’s safe to say that we’re going to be getting an entirely new narrator for Ocean Kai.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:46 pm

Azelf89 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:56 pm Just to point out, you should also add in the info that I had found out regarding Steve Olson (the narrator for the Blue Water dubs of GT and OG DB):
Azelf89 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:40 pm While we’re all waiting, here’s something that you guys might find interesting.

A little while back, I contacted Steve Olson (the narrator for the Blue Water dubs of GT and OG DB) on Twitter and asked if he was ever auditioned for Ocean Kai (specifically, reprising his role as the narrator, or at least lending some additional voices for that dub).

Recently (less then 8 months later), he actually responded to my question:
With this, that pretty much confirms that, while he is part of the dub, he’s not back as the narrator. And since Doc Harris has already confirmed that he wasn’t back either, unless they got Jim Conrad (BLT dub narrator) to reprise the role, I think it’s safe to say that we’re going to be getting an entirely new narrator for Ocean Kai.
Thank you!! Don't know how I missed that.

Noted.

Updated infodump:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

damn
Beyond Newbie

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by damn » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:42 pm

kei17 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:59 pm So that wasn't the same as the one airs in Albania?
Nope. This came years before Albania did their dub of Z(which as you may or may not know started around 30 episodes in the middle of the battle between Vegeta/Nappa and the Z Warriors for some reason).
Albania did their dub of Original DB very recently(around a year or two ago)...they based it on the Funimation dub.
I didn't watch much of it though.
kei17 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:59 pm Was that the original DB or Z?
Original DB.
I remember Goku turning into an Oozaru for the first time gave me nightmares.

It was based on the original version so it kept Makafushigi Adventure and Romantic Ageru Yo unaltered.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:56 pm

Wasn't the Albanian dub (the one that the DB International Guide spreadsheet lists as aired on "Bang Bang" and "Cufo") in its entirety a bootleg that at some points blatantly used online encodes and ended up mixing in music in weird placements or something?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:57 am

Planetnamek wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:35 pm
Please elaborate on why he doesn't come off as insecure to you.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:35 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:57 am
Planetnamek wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:35 pm

Please elaborate on why he doesn't come off as insecure to you.
Even if you have a big ego and act respectless towards others you're not nessecarely an insecure person. That's just guessing what's behind.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:01 pm

Hi, folks. No updates to provide on Ocean Kai itself, but I found a fix for a dead link for the infodump, and felt I should get that out there asap.

Potential outlets for Kai are still looking possible; various things are being worked on. Sadly, nothing that the assembled forces of the fandom can help out with, but you'll all know as soon as you can help out. :)

Updated infodump:

damn
Beyond Newbie

Post by damn » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:44 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:56 pm Wasn't the Albanian dub (the one that the DB International Guide spreadsheet lists as aired on "Bang Bang" and "Cufo") in its entirety a bootleg that at some points blatantly used online encodes and ended up mixing in music in weird placements or something?
I wouldn't be surprised if that one was a bootleg.
But I'm pretty sure the Kosovo one for original DB was probably licensed(same with Digimon).

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:11 am

Scott reprising the roles that he played in the Buu saga wouldn't make any sense since Ocean only dubbed the first 98 episodes of Kai and not the rest.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:41 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:11 am Scott reprising the roles that he played in the Buu saga wouldn't make any sense since Ocean only dubbed the first 98 episodes of Kai and not the rest.
Yes. But when he said he was reprising his roles, he said that at a con in late 2011, when Ocean were recording the Ginyu episodes ("So now I'm being Jeice again", he says in the clip), and presumably the actors had no idea about the kerfuffle that was going on about the Boo arc being postponed; in fact, Kai had only ended in Japan a few months prior.
The earliest recordings of Ocean Kai would've most certainly been before Kai was canned, so I'd guess it's entirely possible Ocean decided to audition him for some of his key Boo arc roles too, just to get that out of the way. Maybe Toei was still under the assumption they'd do the entire run, and Ocean had no reason to doubt that.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:15 pm

A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:25 pm

Granted, neither did FUNimation. 2013 is when the Z episodes were being edited down & cleaned up for TFC & were being recorded in Japan, as said by Mayumi Tanaka on her blog at the time. FUNi, I don't think, started recording their dub until later that year or in 2014. Which, TFC was specifically only put together for overseas broadcasts before airing in Japan anyways to keep the timeslot after Toriko got cancelled. So, 2013 wouldn't have been when Ocean could've gotten the episodes to dub either. FUNi would've just gotten word from Toei & Sabat would've been in very early preproduction with getting the cast ready & starting to adapt the translations of the Japanese scripts & translations to the usable English dub scripts that they ended up using for their dub, as well as Sabat probably getting ready to dub Battle of Gods because it had just come out at that point.

Which, while I'm at it, does Sabat record his characters first, or does he record last? I imagine it'd be easier to record first, but I don't know.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:37 pm

Ah, good point. I should add that to the infodump, as well as other confirmations we've received.

I'm also updating a screenshot of the "Tenkaichi Budoukai" sign from Nicktoons Kai with a slightly higher-quality shot. It mostly looks the same, but the text itself is significantly clearer. Ditto for the Ocean Productions credit in the end credits.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:15 am

Yeah... Also, the first 98 episodes never made it to the light of day; I'm not sure why anyone would start paying for work on the Boo arc (which probably had to be licensed separately).

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:21 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:15 am Yeah... Also, the first 98 episodes never made it to the light of day; I'm not sure why anyone would start paying for work on the Boo arc (which probably had to be licensed separately).
Well, if the first 98 got out somehow, it's entirely possible that whoever distributed it would want more, and in such a case, it would be great if they got Ocean to do it. Toei might even give them a deal on licensing it, since it's an older show now.

But, at this point, I don't think we'll ever see Ocean dub any more Dragon Ball again.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:36 pm

Maybe... Maybe... Hard, hard maybe... Maybe it's worth asking Funimation about it. If they can acquire it (and maybe the Blue Water or Westwood DB, Z, GT content), they could use it as yet another excuse to re-re-re-release the series and make another buck. Physical media or streaming, whichever. As a fully grown adult who understands business, it might not be worth their time or effort to try to buy it out, but I don't see it having any less of a chance of happening than a TV channel suddenly picking it up from its graveyard.