Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:56 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote:I'll just say that Sabat's Piccolo never sounded like a black guy to me. And besides, why would he? Sabat's white. I mean, I've heard people make jokes that Piccolo's basically "the black guy of Dragon Ball Z", but it's just a deep, sagely voice. He sounds nothing like Samuel L. Jackson.
So because Sabat's skin colour is white it automatically means he's unable to sound black? Huh.
Piccolo Daimao wrote:McNeil's Piccolo was deeper anyway, and he certainly didn't sound black.
No one was saying he did.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:35 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:I'll just say that Sabat's Piccolo never sounded like a black guy to me. And besides, why would he? Sabat's white. I mean, I've heard people make jokes that Piccolo's basically "the black guy of Dragon Ball Z", but it's just a deep, sagely voice. He sounds nothing like Samuel L. Jackson.

McNeil's Piccolo was deeper anyway, and he certainly didn't sound black.

Ignoring the fact that there is no (universal or regional) "blaccent" anyway, unless you want to stereotype. Stop trying so hard to find things wrong in a perfectly decent performance from Sabat in Kai.
Well, to be fair, to say that a voice "sounds black" is not particularly wrong. I mean, on the one hand, there's something to be said for stereotyping, but on the other hand, I can tell you that on voice-casting websites that post jobs for voice actors, it's not at all uncommon to see jobs that specifically request either "urban-sounding" or, "African American-sounding" voices. Happens all the time.
I understand; it's just that, while they're probably in the minority, there are loads of white guys that sounded "black"/urban, just like there are loads of black guys that sound "white" (potentially offensive contextual terminology I'm using here, but I hope you know what I mean). Think Carlton from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
penguintruth wrote:The point isn't to "sound black", it's to "sound Piccolo". Which both McNeil and Sabat do pretty well by now.

Also, some of my best friends are Namekians.
Agreed.
theawesomepossum777 wrote:

McNeil's Piccolo was deeper anyway, and he certainly didn't sound black.

Ignoring the fact that there is no (universal or regional) "blaccent" anyway, unless you want to stereotype. Stop trying so hard to find things wrong in a perfectly decent performance from Sabat in Kai.
Sorry, if it I sounded racist then. :oops: I was really just speculating. Plus, weren't you the person who found the Weekly Tube Show's adaptation of Piccolo to be funny? Whatever, I find WTS to be funny too.

EDIT: Speculating is the wrong word. I was just adding on to what somebody else said about what Piccolo sounded to him. Japanese Piccolo certainly didn't give me this impression.
No, you didn't sound racist, and I understand. I was kind of just spilling my thoughts on the page. And yes, I find WeeklyTubeShow's parody of Piccolo funny because it's just so unorthodox and exaggerated.
dbboxkaifan wrote:
So because Sabat's skin colour is white it automatically means he's unable to sound black? Huh.
Weeeeeell...

I guess it'd be harder or feel somewhat forced, at the least. Although that might be if he was actually trying to "sound black", which I doubt he was. I know he's improved in Kai, but beforehand, when he was trying to do an Australian accent for Jheese, it was obviously forced and exaggerated. Like pretty much most of the other original accents that FUNimation decided to use (no amount of facepalms could show my embarrassment at Mike Marco's French Sauza). It just seems to be a strange observation that never occurred to me.

But obviously, white people can sound "black", just like black people can sound "white".
dbboxkaifan wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:McNeil's Piccolo was deeper anyway, and he certainly didn't sound black.
No one was saying he did.
Yeah, I know, in hindsight. I don't know why I said that; maybe I was just picking up on the "deep" bit and kind of ignored the "black guy voice" part.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Goten

Post by Goten » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:23 pm

Oh gosh... I hate the Ocean dub for Z. Goku sounds so idiotic. Its only good for OVER 9000.........
KAKORRRRATTTTT!!!...

PSN- FutureDude101
Youtube- TheMrRandomDude1
Gmail- EverythingMan101@gmail.com

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:41 pm

Goten wrote:Goku sounds so idiotic.
Well...Goku is an idiot. A loveable one, don't get me wrong. In fact, one could say that his idiocy is part of what makes him likeable. However, I think there are few that would dispute that Goku is not a very intelligent person.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:31 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Well...Goku is an idiot. A loveable one, don't get me wrong. In fact, one could say that his idiocy is part of what makes him likeable. However, I think there are few that would dispute that Goku is not a very intelligent person.
I think he's talking about a different definition of "idiotic". Not the "Haha, he's so naive and hick-like", the "Oh my god, shut the fuck up!"

He's probably talking about Peter Kelamis' portrayal of Gokuu, which, admittedly, was over-acted and sounded too "Saturday morning cartoon". Ian Corlett's delivery was better, although the voice was too generic.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:34 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
I think he's talking about a different definition of "idiotic". Not the "Haha, he's so naive and hick-like", the "Oh my god, shut the fuck up!"

He's probably talking about Peter Kelamis' portrayal of Gokuu, which, admittedly, was over-acted and sounded too "Saturday morning cartoon". Ian Corlett's delivery was better, although the voice was too generic.
Yeah. It's probably a difficult thing to do for a character to both be goofy and be capable of being taken seriously. I think Schemmel, especially in Kai, struck a good balance between the two aspects of Goku. I wonder if this new person working on the ocean version of Goku can do a good job of it.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:45 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
what I really don't understand here, is what makes certain "voices" belong to a certain race? Are blacks the only people who are permitted to have deep voices? Skip Stellrecht is known for his deep voice and he's not black. So what is it about Sabat's performance which has brought it up? It has certainly never crossed my mind while hearing him as Piccolo.
Piccolo Daimao wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
It's just like I've said before that what somebody likes is entirely subjective and we cannot expect everybody to like the same sounds. That reaction is precisely how I feel about Masako Nozawa, while others have the same feelings in regards to Stephanie Nadolny and I think it's almost unanimous in regards to Pauline Newstone and Linda Young in the role of Frieza. Different sounds just hit that "Make it stop!" reflex for different people.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:56 am

For those who are implying that Caucasian people can't sound black, I'd like to direct your attention to Mr. Robin Thicke. That is all.
The world is your's.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:51 am

tinlunlau wrote:For those who are implying that Caucasian people can't sound black, I'd like to direct your attention to Mr. Robin Thicke. That is all.
Do you even know where a Caucasian person comes from?

Caucasian isn't white. Get informed for f-sake. :|
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:31 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:Do you even know where a Caucasian person comes from?

Caucasian isn't white. Get informed for f-sake. :|
One, that's incredibly rude. Don't talk down to people like that.

Two, "Caucasian" is extremely common as a term for white people. It's used in legal documents and police reports, among other things. Whether or not it makes sense as a term doesn't change the way it's typically used in English. You can say the same thing about "African" and "Asian." Also, I'm pretty sure I've said all this to you before, so I hope this won't become a pattern.
-Rachel

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:33 am

Oh please, incredibly rude is someone calling white people as "Caucasian", the US term is incorrect but people in US still people use it as if it's suitable which isn't. People should do their research about it before using it.

I'm not Turkish, Armenian, Iranian, nor from the Caucasus region, I'm a White (European) male. You guys are White not Caucasians, unless you're from any of those countries.

The US-Caucasian bullshit is spreading towards Britain also, sadly, but the White/Europeans are White/Europeans, while the Asians are categorized as "Caucasian".

By the way, Ocean's dub of Kai is taking far too long and I'm starting to doubt if it really exists or it's just hype for nothing.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:41 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Oh please, incredibly rude is someone calling white people as "Caucasian", the US term is incorrect but people in US still people use it as if it's suitable which isn't. People should do their research about it before using it.

I'm not Turkish, Armenian, Iranian, nor from the Caucasus region, I'm a White (European) male. You guys are White not Caucasians, unless you're from any of those countries.

The US-Caucasian bullshit is spreading towards Britain also, sadly, but the White/Europeans are White/Europeans, while the Asians are categorized as "Caucasian".
You really need to tone down your attitude. You're walking a fine line.

If you want to talk about research, Americans didn't even invent the "white person" definition of "Caucasian." It started in Germany more than 200 years ago. And when a word gains a new meaning through years of popular usage, there's nothing you can really do to change it back, unless you know how to mind control people. This happens all the time, like how "gay" used to mean "happy." Language evolves, in both good and bad ways.

But I have a feeling this discussion will just go in circles (not to mention it being off-topic), so just keep in mind that the point is to stop talking down to people.
-Rachel

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:28 pm

I hate you guys. I thought there was some real news. :evil:
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:05 pm

I know right? I get excited every time this thread gets bumped only to find it's someone arguing.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:27 pm

ringworm128 wrote:I know right? I get excited every time this thread gets bumped only to find it's someone arguing.
People arguing again? (I didn't bother to look back a page after seeing this post)

I am always excited too! I guess it's just high hopes.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:30 pm

I guess this is part of their strategy with Kai. Keeping the fans anxious at all times.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:37 pm

Scott McNeil was at Matsuricon this weekend. Hopefully someone asked him about Kai.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

elcrunkus

Post by elcrunkus » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:46 am

So I take it that this dub probably won't be released this fall? Bummer.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:31 pm

Who know :(

I wish they'd make a statement or something soon.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:00 pm

It's been two years. You'd think that would be enough time to dub every episode.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot