Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 11; Still Unreleased

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:01 am

AlexSketchy04 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:26 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:00 am So, is anyone going to Kameha Con this weekend? Would be great if anyone could ask Saffron Henderson, Brian Dobson and Alistair Abell if they were in this dub if they get a chance.
I'm going this weekend, i'll be sure to ask them
Brilliant, thanks a million. Hope you enjoy the con, it will be a lot of fun I imagine.
SX10 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:33 pmAmazing! Oh! Can I ask a quick favour in asking if they recall who directed the dub, please? I was sure it was Ken Morrison but Brian Drummond couldn't quite recall. Thanks in advance and have a great time at the con!
I'm guessing it was Karl Willems. As for Ken Morrison? I'd imagine he was the executive producer, he's probably the one who wrote up the contracts, dealt with Funimation and TOEI, paid the actors and everyone involved in recording, directing, mixing and producing the dub, and pitched to the networks.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:45 am

Oh god, foot in mouth :lol: of course I meant Karl Willems, last night I was sooooo drained of energy by the time I wrote that haha
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:48 am

AlexSketchy04 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:58 pm
SX10 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:33 pm
AlexSketchy04 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:26 pm
I'm going this weekend, i'll be sure to ask them
Amazing! Oh! Can I ask a quick favour in asking if they recall who directed the dub, please? I was sure it was Ken Morrison but Brian Drummond couldn't quite recall. Thanks in advance and have a great time at the con!
I will

Yeah, i will, but keep in mind, some might not want to give more details because of NDA, even if it is something that never got released
Totally understandable. Thank you so much!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:10 am

AlexSketchy04 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:58 pmkeep in mind, some might not want to give more details because of NDA, even if it is something that never got released
Of course, thanks again. We do appreciate this.
8000 Saiyan wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:14 am Here's an interview with Saffron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_AM_wcJHtk
Cool, must have a listen to that.
SX10 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:45 am Oh god, foot in mouth :lol: of course I meant Karl Willems, last night I was sooooo drained of energy by the time I wrote that haha
No worries man, totally understandable :thumbup: .
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:24 pm

Ok, i just came back from Kamehacon, it was fun, and i got some interesting info.

Saffron Henderon told me that she did Gohan in the Ocean Dub of Kai.

Brian Dobson did not play Dr Gero, but he did participate in it in Minor Roles.

Alistair Bell however, mentioned something interesting, he said that the show was originally gonna be recorded in Vancouver, but was moved to Calgary, however, he later mentioned that it seems that he did participate in it.

I'm not sure if he was mixing up things, or that there's something we don't know, but that's all the info I got, I will ask Terry about it tomorrow

(Btw, the three of them were really nice, it was a great experience meeting not only them, but the other members of the Ocean / Funimation cast, along with the Latin American VA's)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun May 01, 2022 4:30 am

Thanks AlexSketchy04 always great to hear more about this dub.

I think many of us were confident Saffron Henderson returned, but delighted we now have confirmation. She was brilliant in that role.

Nice to hear Brian Dobson's returning even if he won't be reprising Dr Gero. Who knows maybe a Calgary actor got cast in his part.

I liked Alistair Abell as Trunks so will be happy to hear him again. The part about the dub being moved is interesting, I'm guessing he means originally it was going to be entirely done in Vancouver but the decision to cast from Calgary was made later down the line? We Know its mostly Vancouver actors anyway.

If you do get a chance to ask Terry Klassen that would also be awesome. Even if he didn't reprise his role as Krillin maybe he directed some of the dub? Karl Willems probably did most but there was likely other directors too.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Sun May 01, 2022 9:32 am

AlexSketchy04 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:24 pm Ok, i just came back from Kamehacon, it was fun, and i got some interesting info.

Alistair Bell however, mentioned something interesting, he said that the show was originally gonna be recorded in Vancouver, but was moved to Calgary, however, he later mentioned that it seems that he did participate in it.

I'm not sure if he was mixing up things, or that there's something we don't know, but that's all the info I got, I will ask Terry about it tomorrow

(Btw, the three of them were really nice, it was a great experience meeting not only them, but the other members of the Ocean / Funimation cast, along with the Latin American VA's)
Amazing! So happy to have it confirmed that Saffron Henderson did return for Gohan, she is amazing in the role. Thank you AlexSketchy04! I have a feeling Terry K was not in Ocean Kai at all but I'm sure he'll have knowledge on at least some of the details.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun May 01, 2022 2:24 pm

We've had word from way back that a Calgary cast was involved to some degree. To what exact degree isn't clear (and likely never will be until we have a full cast list), but the common consensus seems to be that the producers gave the roles with high-level importance to Vancouver actors, and the roles with mid to low-level importance went to Calgary actors. I'm still not sure how that would work in terms of union rules, but I guess other Ocean dubs have used a mix of Vancouver and Calgary actors before, so...*shrug.*

Glad to hear that Saffron Henderson as Gohan has been moved out of "strongly implied" to "confirmed by the actress herself"! :)
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Sun May 01, 2022 2:41 pm

I suppose when I think of Dragon Ball, the sheer scope of it, the large main cast, supporting cast and minor characters, it's great to see they have a larger variety of actors from both talent pools taking it on.

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Sun May 01, 2022 8:23 pm

SX10 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:32 am
AlexSketchy04 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:24 pm Ok, i just came back from Kamehacon, it was fun, and i got some interesting info.

Amazing! So happy to have it confirmed that Saffron Henderson did return for Gohan, she is amazing in the role. Thank you AlexSketchy04! I have a feeling Terry K was not in Ocean Kai at all but I'm sure he'll have knowledge on at least some of the details.
Yeah, Terry either does not remember, or he did not participate in it

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun May 01, 2022 8:38 pm

AlexSketchy04 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:23 pm

Or he's adhering to an NDA. Richard Ian Cox pretended walked the fine line of "pretending not to know/not flat-out saying no" when asked if he was playing Goku in the Ocean dub of Kai, even though we know he did.

Whatever the case, thanks very much, AlexSketcy04, for finding all this out!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Sun May 01, 2022 8:41 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:38 pm
AlexSketchy04 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:23 pm

Or he's adhering to an NDA. Richard Ian Cox pretended walked the fine line of "pretending not to know/not flat-out saying no" when asked if he was playing Goku in the Ocean dub of Kai, even though we know he did.

Whatever the case, thanks very much, AlexSketcy04, for finding all this out!
Maybe, but he was confused when i asked him, he said that he did not remember, took a few moments, and then said that he did not record it

Still, it was fun meeting all the actors

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon May 02, 2022 3:22 am

Thanks for asking all the actors AlexSketchy04.

I was thinking Terry Klassen probably wasn't in the Ocean dub of Kai (and it doesn't sound like he was following an NDA either, Richard Ian Cox's responses on the other hand heavily implied it), as Brian Drummond said previously he had transitioned entirely to directing, but thought if any of us met him it couldn't hurt to ask in case he did it as a one-off or was involved in the production to any extent.

Glad to hear you had a great time and the actors were all so friendly.

2quid

Post by 2quid » Tue May 03, 2022 11:05 am

Now I don't know why this has only occurred to me now considering I've known about this dub for 10 years but I just realised an Ocean dub means another english version of Dragon Soul! I'm not really a fan of Vic Mignogna's singing voice (I think he's fine.. just lacks a lot of power) and this thought seriously excited me. Possibly also more english openings and endings too. I don't know guys, I'm getting a positive feeling. And I realise this has been said by many users over the years before me, but I can't help it haha. I really hope the Toon-A-Vision gamble pays off.

If not, I had a thought and mentioned it to Dragon Ball Ireland and some others that seeing as Pop is now owned once again by a continuation of the CSC media group (with hopefully the same people there who had built up the relationship to lead them to inquire about Ocean Kai in the first place), it might be a shout to ask them about acquiring Ocean Kai for Pop Max particularly. I think it would really work for them because Pop Max airs older seasons of shows currently airing on Pop (of which DBS is one).

The email for Pop is info@popfun.co.uk and for the company it's info@narrative.com if anyone else is interested in emailing them. You could always tweet at them at @POPTV_UK, they seem to be responding pretty quickly there. Anyway, here's to the rest of 2022 :)
> Spends 10 years lurking on Ocean Kai threads

"You're basically a TV Exec"

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue May 03, 2022 4:53 pm

2quid wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:05 am Now I don't know why this has only occurred to me now considering I've known about this dub for 10 years but I just realised an Ocean dub means another english version of Dragon Soul! I'm not really a fan of Vic Mignogna's singing voice (I think he's fine.. just lacks a lot of power) and this thought seriously excited me. Possibly also more english openings and endings too. I don't know guys, I'm getting a positive feeling. And I realise this has been said by many users over the years before me, but I can't help it haha. I really hope the Toon-A-Vision gamble pays off.

If not, I had a thought and mentioned it to Dragon Ball Ireland and some others that seeing as Pop is now owned once again by a continuation of the CSC media group (with hopefully the same people there who had built up the relationship to lead them to inquire about Ocean Kai in the first place), it might be a shout to ask them about acquiring Ocean Kai for Pop Max particularly. I think it would really work for them because Pop Max airs older seasons of shows currently airing on Pop (of which DBS is one).

The email for Pop is info@popfun.co.uk and for the company it's info@narrative.com if anyone else is interested in emailing them. You could always tweet at them at @POPTV_UK, they seem to be responding pretty quickly there. Anyway, here's to the rest of 2022 :)
Vic Mignogna's version was actually my favorite for some reason.

Anyway, if rumors are true, then you're in for some disappointment...

https://youtu.be/bL4p-RLYlpE

Now, I can't see this theme fitting in with their mission statement of a more accurate dub (going so far as pronouncing "Namek" as "Nah-mek"), but apparently... well... this is it.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Tue May 03, 2022 5:19 pm

Productive day by emailing both Narrative Entertainment (POP and related UK channels) and Toon-a-Vision 8)

2quid

Post by 2quid » Tue May 03, 2022 5:21 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:53 pm
2quid wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:05 am Now I don't know why this has only occurred to me now considering I've known about this dub for 10 years but I just realised an Ocean dub means another english version of Dragon Soul! I'm not really a fan of Vic Mignogna's singing voice (I think he's fine.. just lacks a lot of power) and this thought seriously excited me. Possibly also more english openings and endings too. I don't know guys, I'm getting a positive feeling. And I realise this has been said by many users over the years before me, but I can't help it haha. I really hope the Toon-A-Vision gamble pays off.

Vic Mignogna's version was actually my favorite for some reason.

Now, I can't see this theme fitting in with their mission statement of a more accurate dub (going so far as pronouncing "Namek" as "Nah-mek"), but apparently... well... this is it.
The uploader says in the comments of that video that it's fanmade....

Also they dub the openings for World Trigger, I don't think they would make a theme like that haha

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue May 03, 2022 5:33 pm

This is not the opening to Ocean Kai. It's a scratch track recorded by session singer David Steele (who sang the opening to the 1995 BLT/Funimation/BLT dub recorded at Dick & Rogers) that was recorded in like 2009 that MAY have been intended for the Ocean dub of Kai, but was not ultimately used. The visuals were then added by a fan for that YouTube video.

There was once a video up that showed the final five seconds of the actual opening to Ocean Kai, with the lyrics "This is what I was born to be" from the demo reel of someone who worked on producing the TV edit of it, but the YouTube channel it was uploaded to was either shut down or taken down. (Possibly a YouTube copyright false-positive or two was triggered by the guy's use of copyrighted clips in his demo reels)
Either way, I saved a local copy of it, so here's the snippet in question.

Either way, the Ocean dub of Kai uses a replacement score (which, once it's released, will finally give us an alternative to the awful plagiarism of the Yamamoto score and the awful repetition of the Kai Kikuchi score), and that includes the OP.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

2quid

Post by 2quid » Tue May 03, 2022 5:38 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:33 pm

This is not the opening to Ocean Kai. It's a scratch track recorded by session singer David Steele (who sang the opening to the 1995 BLT/Funimation/BLT dub recorded at Dick & Rogers) that was recorded in like 2009 that MAY have been intended for the Ocean dub of Kai, but was not ultimately used.

There was once a video up that showed a tiny snippet of the actual opening to Ocean Kai, with the lyrics "This is what I was born to be" from the demo reel of someone who worked on producing the TV edit of it, but the YouTube channel it was uploaded to was either shut down or taken down (possibly a YouTube copyright false-positive).
Either way, I saved a local copy of it, so here's the snippet in question.

Either way, the Ocean dub of Kai uses a replacement score (which, once it's released, will finally give us an alternative to the awful plagiarism of the Yamamoto score and the awful repetition of the Kai Kikuchi score), and that includes the OP.
Thanks for that! I had no idea that a snippet like that existed. Pretty hard to judge a possible 1 minute long intro off of a few seconds but it sounds decent enough.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue May 03, 2022 5:39 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:53 pm Anyway, if rumors are true, then you're in for some disappointment...

It's worth noting that this version wasn't the same one heard in an Ocean editor's demo reel (which has since been taken down, though I still have the clip saved). Edit: Robo4900 has pointed this out already.

It's possible this original version was just a demo song as it was revealed by the singer that it was recorded way back in 2009, I believe.

But as for your other point, there's not really much conflict with the mission statement when you look at their history with the Dragon Ball dubs, but the water has been muddied a lot in that regard so it's not always easy to tell.

The accuracy of the script and pronunciations are more to do with the producers of this dub (presumably a combo of Ocean's own translation process and Toei's approval) combined with no longer having any obligation to continue using Funimation's (at times) incorrect pronunciations which were grandfathered in though the previous Canadian and US dubs. Though, there are inevitably always exceptions to this, such as the commonplace Saiyan pronunciation seeming to have been kept even for this dub. I think even Toei understands some things just aren't worth meddling with.

Ocean's previous Blue water Dragon Ball dubs had already started correcting things on their own which weren't previously established by the Funimation broadcast dubs, so it's to be expected that when dealing with a fresh start they decided to do things their way for a change, much like how Pioneer's produced Ocean dubs were quick to correct 'Kaioken'. Even the Bang Zoom dub of Super used corrected terms where applicable (Blooma, Ki, Shenlong) so I just see this as standard practice that didn't exist or wasn't being enforced during the 90s broadcast dubs when Barry Watson and others had full creative say-so in the production and did things purely with localising in mind, rather than any thought for accuracy.

The handling of the music is a different department altogether and for all we know, may have had other financial incentives behind it like music royalties helping to influence that decision. But as far as the other stuff goes like casting and pronunciation, it does seem like they valued accuracy where possible, rather than strictly sticking with (Funimation's) tradition.