Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by El Diabeetus » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Well, it will be interesting to see how they handle Goku.

I'm torn on this, I love it since I like both English casts; but, at the same time. It's gonna get annoying once it's out since some of the extreme fans will go "FUNi suxz lol". This isn't an amateur dub anymore...

It'll be interesting actually to see the new Ocean Cast. I love Death Note's dub, from what it sounds like more people from that are joining the Z Kai dub. Well, based on Trevor Devall at least.

I hope to god Terry Klassen ISN'T Krillin anymore, I'm sorry; but, he's just terrible. I like maybe 1 character voice of his out of the 5-6 anime I've seen with him in it.
Last edited by El Diabeetus on Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:58 pm

I thought Klassen was really good as Krillin. The tone of his voice fit the character incredibly well, and I liked his acting.

I want to know if they'll keep Pauline Newstone as Freeza or get someone else to voice him. Given how unexpectedly good Chris Ayres is as Freeza, this has the potential to be one of the closest comparisons in both dubs.

I probably won't mind if some of the minor characters get recast, but the main ones should stay the same. A lot of them are irreplaceable.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:08 pm

RazorX wrote:I thought Klassen was really good as Krillin. The tone of his voice fit the character incredibly well, and I liked his acting.

I want to know if they'll keep Pauline Newstone as Freeza or get someone else to voice him. Given how unexpectedly good Chris Ayres is as Freeza, this has the potential to be one of the closest comparisons in both dubs.

I probably won't mind if some of the minor characters get recast, but the main ones should stay the same. A lot of them are irreplaceable.
I liked it in the beginning, but it reeks of "character voice" with an annoying tone. That could work with Kid Krillin, but not adult. But, I don't know. Just not a fan of Klassen I guess.

Yeah, Freeza will be an interesting cast change to compare.

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:18 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:
RazorX wrote:I thought Klassen was really good as Krillin. The tone of his voice fit the character incredibly well, and I liked his acting.

I liked it in the beginning, but it reeks of "character voice" with an annoying tone. That could work with Kid Krillin, but not adult. But, I don't know. Just not a fan of Klassen I guess.

Yeah, Freeza will be an interesting cast change to compare.
Intersting you should mention Kid Krillin, the Blue Water dub had a "deeper" voice than Ocean but it worked really well, and they didn't need to change it for the final DB saga when Krillin is noticably taller.

Freeza is interesting. I liked all of the English dub Freeza voices. (except the US version of DB Final Bout) While I was against the recast of Freeza in Funi's Kai dub when it was confirmed (I doubted Funi's ability to find someone who could do a better job than Linda Young) Chris Ayres actually surpasses Linda Young's first form, though Linda's best work came in Freeza's final form so I'm not saying Ayres is better than Young completely as of yet. I always liked Newstone's Freeza much more than Linda Young's but she didn't have the chance to dub Freeza past his first form, until Ocean returned for the AB Groupe/Westwood episodes. At this stage I hope Ocean keeps Pauline for Freeza.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:28 pm

Hm, I'll have to hunt down a clip of Older DB Krillin.

Freeza, I wouldn't mind to see Pauline Newstone since she basically got shafted 20 episodes of her first appearance. But, considering all the talented male Voice Actors Ocean has, I'd like to see what they'd do with a male Freeza.

But, now I'm wondering if Ocean's going to dub Dragon Soul also.

If that's true, that'd add to the roughly 10-13 versions (assuming we have about 130-150 episodes in the end, plus Vic's TV version) of Dragon Soul we'll get.

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:49 pm

Older DB Krillin and younger DB Krillin had the same voice. Mike Thiessen voiced Krillin in all the episodes of Dragon Ball he appeared in. The voice, although deeper than Klassan's Krillin, sounds like a young boy/young teenager. Not only was it very fitting for the character; acting and tone/pitch wise, it actually rivals Klassan's. (Though I realise you don't particularly like Klassan's Krillin, you might actually like Thiessen's Krillin more)

One of the main things I was concerned about before I heard Ayres' Freeza was that Funimation might choose a "generic" male voice which would've been unfitting and potentially ruin Funi's Freeza saga. So when I heard Ayres' Freeza had a voice which sounded almost exactly like Newstone's, I was pleasently surprised. Both Newstone and Ayres sound androgynous, which fits the character. Ocean definitely has talented VAs but I'm of the view that in English, Freeza should sound androgynous, at least in his first form. So if Ocean recast Freeza, they need to get someone who can sound like Newstone.

Ah the opening. It'll be interesting to see what Ocean come up with.

Dennis Hrehoriac is credited as producer of the TV version of Funi's Kai dub. Dennis Hrehoriac was the production coordinator for the Blue Water dub of DB. So if Dennis Hrehoriac is involved with Ocean's Kai dub, we might get accurate scripts and original attack names, perhaps even original character names.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:12 pm

To what extent are Ocean Studios involved with FUNimation?

The question I just asked has plagued me not only here, but also in the original DBZ dub (which is to say the "alternate" dub that began after Season 3). The whole thing is shrouded in mystery. Is there any kind of collaboration on any level going on with FUNimation and Ocean here?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:28 pm

RazorX wrote:Ocean, please keep Brian Drummond as Vegeta and Scott McNeil as Piccolo, they are perfect for the roles, I cannot picture anyone else doing a better job.
McNeil: yes! Drummond: maybe... If he'd make his Vegeta voice have less anger and rasp, it'd be perfect. Normally, he makes the cool-headed 26-year-old sound like a middle-aged psychopath, but I think he could do away with that if the company tells him to (and it sounds like they're being wonderfully picky). Unlike Sabat, Drummond has the ability to make a wonderful Vegeta. :D
RazorX wrote:Some more interesting information from Kirby Morrow. He stated that the company behind the Ocean dub of DB Kai had him re-audition for Goku and asked to "Kid him up a little bit, make him more childlike" which is promising because it shows that the company behind the Ocean dub understands Goku's character. Hopefully they're putting a great deal of effort into the Ocean dub.
So, any way you can figure out what the company's name is? I don't want it be be another mystery we won't figure out for years. Lol.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:01 pm

Oh god, time to cross my fingers and pray again o_o As much as the FUNi people have gotten better, I just adore so much of the Ocean cast that this would be... so awesome. Though all bets are off if Scott is going >_> Seriously Canada, think about it.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:13 pm

(Omicronian King voice) "Bring us Mcneil!"(/Omicronian King voice)
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:19 pm

As neat as it's going to be hearing the Ocean voices again, I think people have their expectations too high when it comes to a dub that may be even more accurate than FUNi's.

This dub had its own fanbase that is used to the dub terms of old as well, and it's probable that the series dubbed this way won't even receive an uncut home release. If that's the case and they replace the music (which it's very likely they will), hearing these voices a second time may be the only plus.

gotensottile
Beyond Newbie

Post by gotensottile » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:26 pm

If they do do it well, as in, forgetting their was a prior dub...
This is going to be beautiful.
However, if they do remember, then this'll be...meh. Except for more Drummond and McNeil.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:34 am

Replacement music and the next dimension? No thank you.

gotensottile wrote: I can't hear you over the sound of Kikoho, Karin, Kaio, and Jinzoningen.
Et cetera.
Why do you want Jinzōningen? Android is a accurate translation.

dagame10k
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dagame10k » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:11 am

If they actually treat the show with respect, it might be interesting, but on the other hand, if it's anything like the Westwood Z Dub...... I will be disappointed.

If it keeps Kai's score, no added SFX, the video is alone with no slowmo effect,, there is a suitable script, and they keep much of the original core cast while finding suitable replacements for Goku, Bulma, and varous other characters be it bad casting or unavailablity of an actor, I might actually look forward to it.

Goku - ?
Bulma - ?
Gohan - Saffron Henderson
Teen Gohan - Brad Swaile
Piccolo - Scott McNeil
Kuririn - Klassen
Yamacha - Ted Cole
Vegeta - Brian Drummond
Raditz - ? (Wish they could get the original actor)
Master Roshi - ?
Tienshinhan - Matt Smith
Teen Trunks - Matthew Erickson

There hasn't been a lot of Dubs by Ocean in the past couple years, so I don't know who I would cast for the unknowns.
"Nobody's Real............"

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:31 am

Wow am I really curious about how this dub will turn out. I haven't really been following Funi's dub of Kai all that much (mostly because I'm so used to Funi already), but I'm definitely going to at least peek in on Ocean's once they get started airing. I hope they can bring back Drummond, Kelamis, and McNeil.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:41 am

If this is directed by the same guy who directs Gundam at Ocean we're going to wind up with Brad Swaile voicing Gokû.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

dagame10k
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dagame10k » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:26 am

JulieYBM wrote:If this is directed by the same guy who directs Gundam at Ocean we're going to wind up with Brad Swaile voicing Gokû.
I don't think the company behind this dub would appreciate an outside company telling them how to cast their dub.......
"Nobody's Real............"

gotensottile
Beyond Newbie

Post by gotensottile » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:36 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Replacement music and the next dimension? No thank you.

gotensottile wrote: I can't hear you over the sound of Kikoho, Karin, Kaio, and Jinzoningen.
Et cetera.
But not the most accurate.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:43 am

gotensottile wrote: But not the most accurate.
Well, yeah. "Cyborg" would more accurately describe #17 and #18, but there's nothing wrong with using "Android". Leaving in "Jinzōningen" untranslated, would sound weird in an English dub.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:44 am

gotensottile wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Replacement music and the next dimension? No thank you.

Et cetera.
But not the most accurate.
Agreed. Technically speaking the best translation would be "Artificial Human," if the subtitles are anything to go by. It also makes them sound less robotic, which is good because strictly speaking they're not robots.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."