Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:31 pm

SX10 wrote:As for cut, uncut, I hope just because the bad language isn't there, the violence is gone too. But to me no swearing in the dub is a big sign, and that's straight from Brian's mouth.
Far as I'm concerned, the swearing in the newer Funimation dubs has always been kind of jarring and completely unnecessary, with the one exception of Freeza's "Simian bastard!"...
But remember, there was no swearing in the Pioneer dubs. So, I don't think a lack of swearing would indicate anything about cut vs uncut.
8000 Saiyan wrote:So Schemmel and Kelamis are best buddies now, eh?
Haha, I don't think so. :lol:
I think it's most likely just a case of them not being hostile at all, but perhaps not exactly having any real connection at all, and perhaps kind of being a bit distant due to the stuff that went on between them. I don't imagine there's any real bad blood, but I don't imagine they're exactly in a hurry to become best buds.
MistaL wrote:
SX10 wrote:As for cut, uncut, I hope just because the bad language isn't there, the violence is gone too. But to me no swearing in the dub is a big sign, and that's straight from Brian's mouth.
Well we already know what the visuals are gonna be like (minus title cards) from the edited Funimation Kai dub, which uses Ocean's video.
Funny you'd mention the title cards; while the episodes will likely have different titles(At least, I imagine so...?), the edited dub does use a different font to Funi's uncut dub, so we do know what the Ocean title cards will look like, we just don't know what titles they'll use. :)
WittyUsername wrote:Sean Schemmel in general seems like the kind of person who means well, but who can sometimes come across as a dick due to some insecurities he most likely has. I’m inclined to think that a lot of his insecurities probably stem from all those years of him being unfavorably compared to the other English voices for Goku, but that’s just an assumption on my part. In any case, it’s good that there doesn’t seem to be any current bad blood between him and Peter Kelamis.
Yeah, I think that might be the case. He seems to get along really great with Scott McNeil, and he tends to be quite considerate about the Canadian cast in general, so I think it's more a case of him just having some bad experiences, making some dumb mistakes, and not necessarily always realising what he's doing makes him kind of a dick. He seems to not want to be a dick, which is more than I can say for a lot of the real dicks you encounter in the world, so I give a lot of leeway; if someone seems to be willing to improve themself, I'm generally much more forgiving of them... Plus, I've never met the guy, and all this stuff just comes from second-hand gossip we've heard down the grapevine from assumptions...

I think drawing conclusions like "Sean Schemmel hates the Canadian Gokus!" or "Sean Schemmel is a dick!" is just that typical internet thing of people wanting to jump on-board with a hate bandwagon, even if it doesn't make sense, or there's no reason for it. We saw this with that outrage towards Scarlett Johansson's casting in that trans role in that film a while back, where instead of people mobbing the producers who decided to hire her despite the social issues that surround that, everyone mobbed the actor who took a job that would have likely been rather challenging and interesting to perform...

People on the internet love hating things, and unfortunately that extends to people too. So let's all try to be the bigger people here, and realise that we don't know what went on between Schemmel and Kelamis, I don't think many of us have even met Schemmel, so saying he's a dick or implying such things is just a bit much, right?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:17 pm

You're right, I don't know Schemmel, so I shouldn't judge him for some dickish things that he's done.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:56 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:You're right, I don't know Schemmel, so I shouldn't judge him for some dickish things that he's done.
Dickish things people assume he did based on a tweet Kelamis deleted after he and Schemmel talked the issue out...

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:26 am

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:You're right, I don't know Schemmel, so I shouldn't judge him for some dickish things that he's done.
Dickish things people assume he did based on a tweet Kelamis deleted after he and Schemmel talked the issue out...
Are you talking about him supposedly blocking him from going to Kamehacon or are you talking about him apparently blocking Kelamis on Twitter? I'm guessing it's the former.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:43 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
Are you talking about him supposedly blocking him from going to Kamehacon or are you talking about him apparently blocking Kelamis on Twitter? I'm guessing it's the former.
I was referring to the former, since that's what's kicked up the Schemmel-bashing fuss that people are talking about these days, but regardless, I'd rather not clog this thread up with this stuff any further... If you want to talk about this further, I suggest you PM me or open a new thread.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:57 am

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Robo4900 wrote: Dickish things people assume he did based on a tweet Kelamis deleted after he and Schemmel talked the issue out...
I was referring to the former, since that's what's kicked up the Schemmel-bashing fuss that people are talking about these days, but regardless, I'd rather not clog this thread up with this stuff any further... If you want to talk about this further, I suggest you PM me or open a new thread.
Well, I don't really want to take it any further and I apologize for taking this thread off-topic a lot of the time.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:55 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: It might be easier to contact Scott.
When I talked to Brian and Peter, Scott McNeil came up a few times during the conversation. The two of them specifically mentioned to me that Scott is a very hard man to get ahold of and prefers not to use social media. They apparently don't even see him very often back in Vancouver.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:20 am

NitroEX wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: It might be easier to contact Scott.
When I talked to Brian and Peter, Scott McNeil came up a few times during the conversation. The two of them specifically mentioned to me that Scott is a very hard man to get ahold of and prefers not to use social media. They apparently don't even see him very often back in Vancouver.
Yeah, I know that. It's just that I kinda forgot about that.

And wow, they don't see him very often?

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:25 pm

Robo4900 wrote:there was no swearing in the Pioneer dubs
There is swearing in the Pioneer dubs, it was just censored out of the Toonami recordings and in the Rock the Dragon Collection (which used the Toonami masters).
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:42 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
There is swearing in the Pioneer dubs, it was just censored out of the Toonami recordings and in the Rock the Dragon Collection (which used the Toonami masters).
I don't think I've ever watched the RTD version fully, I always stick to the uncut version.

But no, there is no swearing. They use words like "Hell", which wouldn't be seen on TV so as to not offend overly-sensitive religious parents, but they aren't swears.

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:58 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:
I don't think I've ever watched the RTD version fully, I always stick to the uncut version.

But no, there is no swearing. They use words like "Hell", which wouldn't be seen on TV so as to not offend overly-sensitive religious parents, but they aren't swears.
I believe there was a part in the second movie where one of Dr. Wheelo screams "DAMN YOU!" at Goku shortly after the Kaioken Kamehameha.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:02 pm

Robo4900 doesn't consider "damn" a swear. :shrug:
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:55 pm

Nia wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
Danfun64 wrote: There is swearing in the Pioneer dubs, it was just censored out of the Toonami recordings and in the Rock the Dragon Collection (which used the Toonami masters).

I believe there was a part in the second movie where one of Dr. Wheelo screams "DAMN YOU!" at Goku shortly after the Kaioken Kamehameha.
I mean, I don't consider that a swear either... But even if you do, that's one usage in the entire uncut trilogy... No reason to imagine they wouldn't've done the movies just as well even if they'd been told not to use such words.

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:44 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Nia wrote:
Robo4900 wrote: I don't think I've ever watched the RTD version fully, I always stick to the uncut version.

I mean, I don't consider that a swear either... But even if you do, that's one usage in the entire uncut trilogy... No reason to imagine they wouldn't've done the movies just as well even if they'd been told not to use such words.
Honestly, as long as they never went the FUNI route of "DARN YOU!" I'm okay with them not using it. They probably didn't use anything more overt than that simply because the original script didn't have it; that's my guess anyway.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:22 pm

Yeah, "hell" or "damn" aren't really bad words.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:48 pm

Nia wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
Nia wrote:
Honestly, as long as they never went the FUNI route of "DARN YOU!" I'm okay with them not using it. They probably didn't use anything more overt than that simply because the original script didn't have it; that's my guess anyway.
Well, in that case, they would never use anything more overt. Japanese doesn't actually have swears, as I understand it; it's all about usage, tone, etc. About as close as it gets is "Kuso", which Simmons usually renders as crap, dammit, damn you, etc. I believe its literal meaning and usage perfectly translates to "Crap", though some translators like to beef it up and render it as "Shit" instead, though I don't think even Funi do that, despite their willingness to be more colourful in other areas... (Seriously, who wrote that line? Anime Labs?)

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:48 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Yeah, "hell" or "damn" aren't really bad words.
Honestly, I agree with that; however, there's plenty of people who do think they are.
Robo4900 wrote: Well, in that case, they would never use anything more overt. Japanese doesn't actually have swears, as I understand it; it's all about usage, tone, etc. About as close as it gets is "Kuso", which Simmons usually renders as crap, dammit, damn you, etc. I believe its literal meaning and usage perfectly translates to "Crap", though some translators like to beef it up and render it as "Shit" instead, though I don't think even Funi do that, despite their willingness to be more colourful in other areas... (Seriously, who wrote that line? Anime Labs?)
Bastard was actually used quite a bit in Japanese; or at least an equivelant word. It was used in both the Simmons subs and the Viz manga translation; though I don't think #17 said it there in any version other than FUNI Kai. I have noticed FUNI has a habit of randomly throwing out more colorful language in weird places ever since the Ultimate Uncut Edition redubs. I think the worst one was when Goku called Freeza an "evil, heartless bastard" during his first SSJ transformation in Kai; it just felt so random.

Also, FUNI did use "shit" once with Guldo in Kai.

Probably because I'm so used to the Simmons subs and the Viz translations, it always strikes me as weird when I hear more than damn or bastard in the dubs, and even bastard gets used in weird places enough times to throw me for a loop.

...Also, AnimeLabs translations will never not make me laugh.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:50 pm

“Hell” and “damn” are words you can’t exactly get away with using in American kid’s shows. I’m not sure how Canada and the U.K. are about those words, but the FCC would definitely never allow words like those to be used in a show with a Y7 rating.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:08 pm

Nia wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Yeah, "hell" or "damn" aren't really bad words.
Honestly, I agree with that; however, there's plenty of people who do think they are.
WittyUsername wrote:“Hell” and “damn” are words you can’t exactly get away with using in American kid’s shows. I’m not sure how Canada and the U.K. are about those words, but the FCC would definitely never allow words like those to be used in a show with a Y7 rating.
They won't let you say hell or damn on TV, but they also often won't let you say Jesus, tits, or any references to genitalia. None of those are swears, but naturally can't be said on TV, because... Well... Basically, they don't want any parents complaining about it. So, "You can't say it on TV" isn't really a good measuring pole with which to determine swears.
Nia wrote:Bastard was actually used quite a bit in Japanese; or at least an equivelant word. It was used in both the Simmons subs and the Viz manga translation; though I don't think #17 said it there in any version other than FUNI Kai. I have noticed FUNI has a habit of randomly throwing out more colorful language in weird places ever since the Ultimate Uncut Edition redubs. I think the worst one was when Goku called Freeza an "evil, heartless bastard" during his first SSJ transformation in Kai; it just felt so random.

Also, FUNI did use "shit" once with Guldo in Kai.

Probably because I'm so used to the Simmons subs and the Viz translations, it always strikes me as weird when I hear more than damn or bastard in the dubs, and even bastard gets used in weird places enough times to throw me for a loop.
Simmons uses it sometimes, I think it's because it's a general insult you can use when someone's really cross with you. "You idiot!" doesn't have quite the same impact and implications as "You bastard!" if you're reading subtitles and hearing foreign dialogue you don't understand. So, you can render the dialogue in a way such that it has swearing, and sometimes it makes total sense, but if you don't want to, there's no need for it at all. And for a show like Dragon Ball, I don't think putting in swears like Funi has tended to over the past few years is necessary. As you say, it feels random. To me, it feels pretty jarring, and at times a bit childish, if that makes sense? Like, I feel like in a few places, it's totally unnecessary, and just being thrown in because they can. Some instances work(Freeza saying "Simian bastard!" is rather excellent IMO. I think the swear fits there), but in general, I find it a tad offputting... Again, that line I linked before -- "You're never putting us to sleep agian, you stupid, old bastard!" just seems really excessive and weird for Dragon Ball.

Honestly, I think I'd prefer if they just scripted things like the Pioneer movie dubs. No real need to drop swears anywhere, but if a hell or a damn fits, go for it.
Most likely thing in this dub is we'll see "Hades" instead of hell(Which honestly I take no issue with. I think it actually has quite a nice ring to it for Dragon Ball), and I think if there is an uncut version, that would stay consistent across the two. No reason to record and write multiple versions of a line if the change would actually be a pretty legit way to render something in an uncut dub...
Nia wrote:...Also, AnimeLabs translations will never not make me laugh.
Same. It's amazing...
On an unrelated note, I think Dragon Ball has ruined the word "Amazing" for me...

Jean0987654321
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jean0987654321 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:12 am

At this point, I'm just glad we got the Ocean dub of Kai on the airwaves

Don't care too much about the "cursing." The dialouge will be fine. I just want to know how the acting will be handled