Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:24 am

I wouldn't mind Brian Drummond as Vegeta again as long as when he kills people, they don't get "sent to the next dimension".
I wipe it off the tile, the light is brighter this time, everything is 3D blasphemy.
My eyes are red and gold, the hair is standing straight up, this is not the way I picture me.
I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here? Something about this, so very wrong.
I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:56 am

I'm 99% sure that they will get Brian Drummond to voice Vegeta he's one of the most popular voices from the Ocean dub. Heck, even if it wasn't dubbed by Ocean they would probably still try to get Drummond to voice Vegeta (like how Funimation got Spike Spenser to voice Shinji for the Evangelion rebuild movies.)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:47 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vIsrhphOH0

Around 45:05 Scott McNeil still working on kai.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:40 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vIsrhphOH0

Around 45:05 Scott McNeil still working on kai.
I wonder what's taking so long. I hope it isn't them making their own music.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:28 am

Honestly, I'm beginning to wonder what's taking them so long as well. I've thought of a couple possibilities...

-They were only casting when Kirby Morrow first talked about the Ocean dub, not actually recording yet.
-They could be remixing all of their episodes in light of the Music Scandal.
-They could be waiting until the whole show is dubbed from start to finish so they can put out five episodes a week.
-They could be waiting until the FUNimation dub is done airing on TV.

All of these things, though, shouldn't be taking this long. My guess is there's something going on behind-the-scenes that we don't know about. I'm still very confident that we will actually see this Ocean dub of Kai eventually, though. Several actors have said they're working on it, and the only primarily English-speaking countries that haven't had an English dub of Kai on TV yet are the same countries that got the Ocean/Westwood dub of DBZ back when DBZ was still on TV (that can't be a coincidence).
penguintruth wrote:I hope it isn't them making their own music.
Wouldn't it be hilarious, though, if they eventually announced, "We apologize for the delay, we just needed to give John Williams more time to complete his score for Kai." :lol:
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:41 pm

:lol: Make it James Horner for added hilarity! :lol:
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:37 am

I would be happy to wait another year if I heard John Williams was doing the music.

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:30 pm

Um , guys?
I have nothing against Brian Drummond as Vegeta, but have you heard him doing the Vegeta voice lately?
He doesnt sound like he did the show. He just sounds like a bad impression.
Do you guys think he still can do Vegeta for Kai?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:57 pm

songohan619 wrote:Um , guys?
I have nothing against Brian Drummond as Vegeta, but have you heard him doing the Vegeta voice lately?
I haven't heard him recently but I heard him in 09 and he sounded fine (though that was how many years ago lol)

He's probably just out of practice and not warming up. With time, he could probably still do it, but it might not be 100%

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:13 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
songohan619 wrote:Um , guys?
I haven't heard him recently but I heard him in 09 and he sounded fine (though that was how many years ago lol)

He's probably just out of practice and not warming up. With time, he could probably still do it, but it might not be 100%
My guess is it'll be a tad deeper than we remember it, but it'll still be obvious that it's his Vegeta. Remember, he hasn't done Vegeta's voice in any official capacity in about eight years. The only time he's done Vegeta's voice since then has been for the occasional fan request at conventions...a good director (hoping and praying that it's Karl Willems) will get him back into the swing of things.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:15 pm

It's a valid point. The reason why Sean Schemmel et al, got better at their roles is probably because they got so much practice, via voicing their characters in numerous video games and movies. Guys like Brian Drummond and Scott McNeil haven't played their roles in years, and the last time they did, it was clear they were already rusty (have you heard Peter Kelamis in the Westwood dub?)

They haven't played these roles in a friggin' decade! When was the last time Drummond even worked?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:33 pm

How are we so sure that Drummond will be reprising his role for Vegeta? Has it been confirmed?

I know I'm probably in minority on this viewpoint but I'd prefer it if they re-casted for Vegeta. Drummond was never appropriate for the role. In the Saban dub his acting was good but his voice was just horrid. It sounds like Mr. Crocker from Fairly Oddparents. As penguintruth noted, he got even worse in the Westwood dub sounding almost like a parody of himself.

Either way I've never like his Vegeta. Vegeta needs to sound smooth, deep, and aristocratic and Drummond fits in none of these categories.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:25 pm

penguintruth wrote:It's a valid point. The reason why Sean Schemmel et al, got better at their roles is probably because they got so much practice, via voicing their characters in numerous video games and movies. Guys like Brian Drummond and Scott McNeil haven't played their roles in years, and the last time they did, it was clear they were already rusty (have you heard Peter Kelamis in the Westwood dub?)

They haven't played these roles in a friggin' decade! When was the last time Drummond even worked?
As far as anime goes, I think Drummond was last anime role was Ryuk in Death Note, which he did amazing as, prefer him to Shidou Nakamura. But, that's beside the point. He's also done some work in some of the cartoons that are on Cartoon Network; but, the voice work is done in Canada. Like that Lego show and that show where the squad is called Big Green. Which makes me laugh 'cause of the fact the Voice Actors in that show have worked on Dragon Ball and hearing them say Big Green is funny to me.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:44 pm

The Death Note dub was five years ago.

Can I get a Schemen?

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:50 pm

I know, but, wow that doesn't even feel like that long ago, haha. But, he still does voice work; just not sure about anime is all. So, who knows. I'm just looking forward to how this alternate dub plays out. Only thing that'll suck is it'll create an even further divide through most of the English (Dubs) fanbases.

I went and looked him up, he most recent is Death Note as far as the starting date goes. But, in terms of where it ended, that goes to Black Lagoon which finished dubbing in 2010. So, he hasn't dubbed anything in 2 years. It's solely been non-Japanese animation since then.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:01 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:Only thing that'll suck is it'll create an even further divide through most of the English (Dubs) fanbases.
Yeah, I sure can't wait to take part in the Ocean DBZ (Funimation) Dub vs Funimation In-House DBZ Dub vs. Westwood Ocean DBZ Dub vs. Funimation Kai Dub vs Ocean Kai Dub discussions.

Imagine all the new voice comparison entries at Behind The Voice Actors.

Can I get a Schemen?

FNF
Temporarily Banned

Post by FNF » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:15 pm

I can't wait to hear biker Vegeta! /sarcasm.

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason for them taking so long is because they suck so hard compared to FUNi's dub of Kai lmfao. It is an extremely hard task to follow considering they haven't even voiced (albeit poorly) a dub for DBZ in 10+ years lol.
Voltaire: "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."

Other username on forums;
'Cocoman'

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:06 pm

Hm. I'm curious to hear their replacement score... after the debacle that is the Japanese version, maybe it could turn out to be a plus. I doubt it, but it's honestly a possibility. I was never a big fan of Yamamoto's take on Kai, but the Kikuchi placement is just so bad that it rivals it. Hopefully Schemmel's scornful comments were true when he said they're actually composing something and not just recycling the Mega music again.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:42 pm

I'd rather have poorly placed music from the people who made the show than some bullshit from people who had nothing to do with it.

Can I get a Schemen?

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:02 pm

penguintruth wrote:I'd rather have poorly placed music from the people who made the show than some bullshit from people who had nothing to do with it.
I concur. Besides, I really don't want to see another DBZ iteration with a score that has little, if any, silence. When that happens, it's like we're being looked down on. Like we need constant noise playing or we'll get bored and change the channel.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot