Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:46 am

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:24 am One pre-emptive thing I'd like to additionally address is that episode 108 does, of course, have a recap of episode 107, and in that recap, there's dialogue (most of which the narrator talks over). However, it's worth noting that most (maybe even all) of the recaps in Westwood Z were recorded on their own; that is to say, any recap clips of previous episodes had new recordings of that dialogue for the recap, different to the takes used in the episode they come from.
So, what I'm saying is that the recap at the start of #108 would have been recorded alongside the rest of that episode's recording.
Just in case anyone tried to bring up anything about "but where did the #107 dialogue come from" or something.
Interestingly the #107 recap wasn't the only instance. Despite never dubbing the Freeza saga in OG DBZ Ocean did in fact dub it in flashbacks like this one. Until we get this Kai dub it is fun to watch these as they are a snippet of what could have been.
Dark Vegeta-Sama wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:25 amIt stands to reason that a hypothetical Ocean 54-107 would've aired somewhere, or at least we would've been told of its existence at some point over the years.
Most definitely. It wouldn't be the first time Turner UK went out of their way to air Ocean dubbed episodes after they'd previously aired with Funimation's dub. That did in fact happen with the Fusion saga when it premiered on CNX.

The Freeza saga also got several reruns even after the series. I watched it on the marathons in 2004, and it was shown exclusively with the Texas cast. If Ocean ever dubbed that arc it most certainly would have been shown in the UK at some point.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:46 am

Dark Vegeta-Sama wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:25 am For starters, for those who've seen episode 108, just listen to the actors themselves. It's clear that some of them are a little "rusty" at playing the characters, particularly Drummond and McNeil. They don't sound quite like they did when they had previously left off at episode 53 a few years earlier. Later on in the Android Saga, they sound more "normal" again, for lack of a better term. One would have to assume that they wouldn't have ever missed a beat if they'd dubbed the rest of the Freeza Saga. Lower quality voice direction of the Westwood dub aside, it's clear when you watch those early episodes that the actors needed some time to re-accustom themselves to the characters.
That's interesting to hear. I do notice a small difference in delivery (with the Saban episodes being a bit more hammy) and I acknowledge that the actors would have been a little rusty at the time (and perhaps a rushed schedule too) but even so, it never struck me as an issue. When you listen to most dubs, particularly of that era (Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh come to mind) the main characters usually sound very different later on from when they started out in the first few episodes (or in some cases, the entirety of the first season). Either the direction changes or the character's voice morphs slightly to reflect a change in the character's personality.

I would say it's more rare for a long running dub to feature a cast that stays perfectly consistent throughout, and in Ocean Z's case it made sense for McNeil's (post Nail) Piccolo to sound less demonic and theatrical than he did in the Saiyan arc, at least to me.

The only real noticeable difference I detected in Drummond's Vegeta was that the Saiyan/Namek version sounded a little younger and ever so slightly higher pitched. Acting wise I felt both Drummond and McNeil remained quite strong. It's worth noting that those two in particular managed to retain even minor vocal traits such as Vegeta's maniacal laughter and Piccolo's demonic yells, something that otherwise might have been lost and forgotten about in the hands of actors who either didn't care about the role or were working under bad/inconsistent directors.
Dark Vegeta-Sama wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:25 amWhen the Ocean cast returned to record in the summer/fall of 2000, they were told that they were brought back because international audiences disliked the FUNimation in-house cast, and wanted the international cast back. Don Brown said as much in a telephone interview conducted with one of the UKDB guys in 2002. Whether this is true or not, one would have to assume that if an Ocean dub of 54-107 was available, those networks that supposedly received complaints would've sought it out (especially if FUNi was charging more for their dub). It stands to reason that a hypothetical Ocean 54-107 would've aired somewhere, or at least we would've been told of its existence at some point over the years.
That's super interesting to hear as it would corroborate what Kanzenshuu member Subzero Ice once mentioned regarding Turner UK.
Does this interview still exist online?
Regarding those CRTC approval listings, those are just bizarre, and nonsensical. Episodes 220-276 aired in Canada between September 2002 and March 2003, so it's completely baffling that there wouldn't have been an entry until 2005.
It doesn't strike me as too surprising. The Ocean dub of Kai wasn't registered until 2014 and Z appears to have been registered at the same time as (Blue Water) GT & DB, indicating it was done in batch. The Pioneer movie dubs were only registered in 2002, long after their release in 98, so it most likely always takes them a couple years to catch up to these projects, whether it be down to bureaucracy or the production studios dragging their feet.
Robo4900 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:24 am One pre-emptive thing I'd like to additionally address is that episode 108 does, of course, have a recap of episode 107, and in that recap, there's dialogue (most of which the narrator talks over). However, it's worth noting that most (maybe even all) of the recaps in Westwood Z were recorded on their own; that is to say, any recap clips of previous episodes had new recordings of that dialogue for the recap, different to the takes used in the episode they come from.
Many episode recaps throughout Z do feature recorded takes that differ from the corresponding scenes of the previous episode. Why they did things this way is beyond me (perhaps something to do with recording on pre digital equipment, as mentioned by a few of the actors) but it's a common feature of the Z dub if you listen carefully.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:32 pm

Dark Vegeta-Sama wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:25 amRegarding those CRTC approval listings, those are just bizarre, and nonsensical. Episodes 220-276 aired in Canada between September 2002 and March 2003, so it's completely baffling that there wouldn't have been an entry until 2005. By that time, the episodes were still being shown in reruns on YTV, but YTV was already winding down their airings of the Dragonball franchise as a whole and stopped showing any of the three series soon after.
As Nitro pointed out, the last batch of Z was approved on the same day as the entirety of GT and the original series. The CRTC isn't the most strict when it comes to that stuff. Something can be aired years before it's submitted and eventually added to that database. The dates are good when it comes to unreleased projects as it offers a max date for when production would've wrapped.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:26 pm

http://kidscreen.com/2019/09/13/wow-unl ... OgzaxKs%3d
Vancouver-based WOW! Unlimited Media’s planned Canadian kids linear specialty channel is in limbo, following the official handover of Comedy Gold from Bell Media at the end of August.

The animation company announced its plans to rebrand Comedy Gold as a yet-to-be-titled kids linear specialty when it acquired the channel in 2018 for $6.8 million.

WOW! took possession of Comedy Gold on August 30 and the channel was then taken off the air. According WOW!’s 2019 Q2 financial release, the company is “exploring strategic partnerships to structure a financially attractive business plan for a potential WOW!-branded linear channel.”

As part of the deal, Bell Media picked up more than 200 hours of kids programming from WOW!, including Adventures of Paddington Bear, ReBoot and Fireman Sam.

In a statement to Kidscreen’s sister publication Playback Daily, a representative of WOW! said it is “continuing to work toward securing a strategic partnership for a linear channel launch.”

The company previously requested an extension on the handover date from Bell Media, stating it needed more time to secure sponsorships and partnerships for the new channel.

WOW! Unlimited Media was formed in 2016 from the merger of Vancouver animation studio Rainmaker Entertainment, U.S. animator Frederator and prodco Ezrin Hirsh Entertainment. The company is in development on kids programs such as Ukelele U and is currently in production on an animated series with a “major US studio.”
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:59 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:26 pm http://kidscreen.com/2019/09/13/wow-unl ... OgzaxKs%3d
Vancouver-based WOW! Unlimited Media’s planned Canadian kids linear specialty channel is in limbo, following the official handover of Comedy Gold from Bell Media at the end of August.

The animation company announced its plans to rebrand Comedy Gold as a yet-to-be-titled kids linear specialty when it acquired the channel in 2018 for $6.8 million.

WOW! took possession of Comedy Gold on August 30 and the channel was then taken off the air. According WOW!’s 2019 Q2 financial release, the company is “exploring strategic partnerships to structure a financially attractive business plan for a potential WOW!-branded linear channel.”

As part of the deal, Bell Media picked up more than 200 hours of kids programming from WOW!, including Adventures of Paddington Bear, ReBoot and Fireman Sam.

In a statement to Kidscreen’s sister publication Playback Daily, a representative of WOW! said it is “continuing to work toward securing a strategic partnership for a linear channel launch.”

The company previously requested an extension on the handover date from Bell Media, stating it needed more time to secure sponsorships and partnerships for the new channel.

WOW! Unlimited Media was formed in 2016 from the merger of Vancouver animation studio Rainmaker Entertainment, U.S. animator Frederator and prodco Ezrin Hirsh Entertainment. The company is in development on kids programs such as Ukelele U and is currently in production on an animated series with a “major US studio.”
Is in limbo, huh...

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:11 pm

If I had the money I'd support WOW in getting this channel off the ground in a heartbeat. I trust in Marni to be able to launch it at some point, just hope it won't be too long.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:05 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:11 pm If I had the money I'd support WOW in getting this channel off the ground in a heartbeat. I trust in Marni to be able to launch it at some point, just hope it won't be too long.
Your willingness to help wouldn't really help them anyway since you're not Canadian. XD
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:18 pm

Arian wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:05 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:11 pm If I had the money I'd support WOW in getting this channel off the ground in a heartbeat. I trust in Marni to be able to launch it at some point, just hope it won't be too long.
Your willingness to help wouldn't really help them anyway since you're not Canadian. XD
I suppose. Just hope the channel is still in the pipeline. Kinda sucks being left in the dark like this, but hopefully there will be light at the end of the tunnel for it and for Ocean Kai.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:44 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:18 pm
Arian wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:05 pm
I suppose. Just hope the channel is still in the pipeline. Kinda sucks being left in the dark like this, but hopefully there will be light at the end of the tunnel for it and for Ocean Kai.
It's in the pipeline for sure, but they're still taking a while to scrounge up money... Which could mean literally any outcome you can imagine.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:15 am

I'm sorry to ask this but is anyone up for a talk on Discord about this? I love you all and I would love to discuss this there.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:17 am

Don't know how long ago this was, but Lee Tockar changed his Twitter banner to a picture of Freeza and added Freeza in DBK to his bio. Could maybe be a sign?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:45 am

MistaL wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:17 am Don't know how long ago this was, but Lee Tockar changed his Twitter banner to a picture of Freeza and added Freeza in DBK to his bio. Could maybe be a sign?
That happened ages ago.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:01 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:15 am I'm sorry to ask this but is anyone up for a talk on Discord about this? I love you all and I would love to discuss this there.
I know how you feel :) I love all you guys too!

The silence on this has been giving me the worst background anxiety, it's going straight for my chest.

What do I mean by background anxiety? Just that constant overhanging feeling I can block out with day to day life for so long until I return to the subject.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:03 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:15 am I'm sorry to ask this but is anyone up for a talk on Discord about this? I love you all and I would love to discuss this there.
I'm glad you asked, my friend! (Especially because I had no intention of arbitrarily promoting this on this thread).

It just so happens that Robo4900 and I have started our #ToonamiforUK effort to get people talking about the platform and try to directly or indirectly convince WarnerMedia to actually bring Toonami back to the UK and Irish airwaves as either it's own channel or if only just a programming block on Cartoon Network, which in turn, would bring Dragon Ball Kai to the list of shows. Which also, in case you weren't aware, then-TimeWarner executives in Europe already went on record as saying that if they were to license Dragon Ball Kai for broadcast they would seek out the Ocean dubbed version.

Join us and we can have a lot of jolly good discussions about licensing and whatnot!

https://discord.gg/CT4fYaM

Links to other social media platforms of the cause can be found there.

Some of you may be thinking it to be odd to join a UK-based discussion board to talk about a Canadian dub, but keep in mind that British oppression is an inherent part of Canadian culture, so what could be more fitting than that? :D

See you there~! (hopefully)
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:49 am

I joined :D

Honestly as a guy who doesn't play video games anymore this Discord thing is new to me but looks straightforward enough.

Looking forward to hanging with all of you there. I'll definitely recommend it o anyone else I know who wants Toonami to make a comeback in the UK.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:01 am

Thanks man! I love talking about licensing and tv deals and all that sort of stuff.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:55 pm

I've contacted Netflix UK. I told them the situation with Ocean Kai, and the rep passed the info on. They then encouraged me to get as many people as possible to Tweet Netflix of the UK and Canada.

So, ladies and gentlemen, and everyone between and beyond, please help me out in one more effort to get this damn thing on air. Who knows if it'll succeed. It may not. But we lose nothing by trying, sending out just a simple Tweet (and/or just liking/retweeting the root tweet, if writing a tweet is too much -- or not enough -- for you). And we may just succeed. :)

The accounts to Tweet are @NetflixUK and @Netflix_CA
The hashtags to use are #KaiForCanada #KaiForNetflix #ReleaseTheOceanDub

I suggest you send your Tweet in reply to this Tweet. Then all the Tweets in favour of this are in one place, and it'll auto-ping the two Netflix accounts, giving you more space for the three hashtags and your message. :)
Throw in a like and a retweet to spread the word further too! :D

Let's make some noise. Pitch the Ocean dub, pitch the fact that this way, Netflix could compete with certain other companies in the anime space (do NOT tag Funimation in your Tweets, though), using one of the hottest anime properties in the world, and bringing back the professional, legendary Vancouver-based cast that Canada and the UK fell in love with. Netflix should talk to Toei Europe about this, and they should take Ocean's Kai dub, NOT Funimation's. Both studios dubbed all 98 episodes, but only Ocean has the cast we all fell in love with, and Ocean's dub is what we want.

For anyone who's doubtful, remember this:
Netflix are competing with Funimation in the anime space. Ocean Kai should be easy and cheap for them to acquire, and could easily open the door for them to hire Ocean to dub more Dragon Ball, starting with the direct sequel, Kai: The Final Chapters. Might not happen (though they have done their own dubs, usually by hiring Bang Zoom), but that's not the point: The point is simply that there is that opportunity for Netflix to take up the Dragon Ball brand in the UK and Canada, and thus have a great slice of the pie of one of the largest anime properties out there. The Ocean cast are established and loved by fans, particularly in the UK and Canada, so this should be an easy pitch.

Jean0987654321
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jean0987654321 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:56 pm

Well...I guess WOW! is not coming anytime soon and I can't imagine Ocean Kai coming on the air anytime soon either.

At least there was an attempt :D

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:18 pm

Jean0987654321 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:56 pm Well...I guess WOW! is not coming anytime soon and I can't imagine Ocean Kai coming on the air anytime soon either.

At least there was an attempt :D
And I'm guessing you didn't even like the Tweet?

Seriously, people saying "i guess it's not happening" while not even giving the most token of support is how these kinds of things end up not happening. Just like the tweet, and if you can drop a response, drop a response.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but this kind of stuff does bother me.
Yes, Wow seems to have hit a dead end (looks like the company just isn't scrounging up the money to launch their channel, so... Probably a lost cause), that doesn't mean Kai isn't gonna see the light of day. Sure, maybe it doesn't see the light of day. But there's no rights weirdness to untangle, there's no tax writeoffs or anything, it's right there, it could air at any time, if someone'll take it. We just have to find a platform and drum up enough buzz to get them to pick it up. And right now, I think the best thing we can do is retweet, like, and respond to that tweet (with the #KaiForCanada #KaiForNetflix #ReleaseTheOceanDub hashtags), to try for UK & Canadian Netflix to pick it up. It's frickin' Dragon Ball. This isn't a hard sell. It does well everywhere it airs, and Netflix are trying to compete with Funimation anyway, so it should be an easy sell to them.

And, if Netflix don't take it, a huge number of likes and replies on that Tweet will look REALLY good for the various other opportunities we're looking into, to get this thing on air. (Wow was one attempt, Netflix is another, but neither even scratch the surface of what we're playing at. I'm gonna get this goddamn dub to see the light of day if it bloody kills me, and there are still several avenues I'm trying as we speak, all of which are looking more promising than some un-launched channel that we got so excited about once upon a time)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:36 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:55 pm I've contacted Netflix UK. I told them the situation with Ocean Kai, and the rep passed the info on. They then encouraged me to get as many people as possible to Tweet Netflix of the UK and Canada.

So, ladies and gentlemen, and everyone between and beyond, please help me out in one more effort to get this damn thing on air. Who knows if it'll succeed. It may not. But we lose nothing by trying, sending out just a simple Tweet (and/or just liking/retweeting the root tweet, if writing a tweet is too much -- or not enough -- for you). And we may just succeed. :)

The accounts to Tweet are @NetflixUK and @Netflix_CA
The hashtags to use are #KaiForCanada #KaiForNetflix #ReleaseTheOceanDub

I suggest you send your Tweet in reply to this Tweet. Then all the Tweets in favour of this are in one place, and it'll auto-ping the two Netflix accounts, giving you more space for the three hashtags and your message. :)
Throw in a like and a retweet to spread the word further too! :D

Let's make some noise. Pitch the Ocean dub, pitch the fact that this way, Netflix could compete with certain other companies in the anime space (do NOT tag Funimation in your Tweets, though), using one of the hottest anime properties in the world, and bringing back the professional, legendary Vancouver-based cast that Canada and the UK fell in love with. Netflix should talk to Toei Europe about this, and they should take Ocean's Kai dub, NOT Funimation's. Both studios dubbed all 98 episodes, but only Ocean has the cast we all fell in love with, and Ocean's dub is what we want.

For anyone who's doubtful, remember this:
Netflix are competing with Funimation in the anime space. Ocean Kai should be easy and cheap for them to acquire, and could easily open the door for them to hire Ocean to dub more Dragon Ball, starting with the direct sequel, Kai: The Final Chapters. Might not happen (though they have done their own dubs, usually by hiring Bang Zoom), but that's not the point: The point is simply that there is that opportunity for Netflix to take up the Dragon Ball brand in the UK and Canada, and thus have a great slice of the pie of one of the largest anime properties out there. The Ocean cast are established and loved by fans, particularly in the UK and Canada, so this should be an easy pitch.
This kind of makes me think of the #ReleaseTheSnyderCut movement. In case you might be wondering, I don’t mean that like it’s a bad thing. The dub has already been recorded, so this certainly isn’t an unreasonable thing to wish for.