Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gotensottile
Beyond Newbie

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by gotensottile » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:27 pm

Considering the Death Note dub, and if they don't base it off their original or FUNimation's dub of the series...then...this might just be amazing.
We may finally have a proper English Dub for the series.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:32 pm

gotensottile wrote:Considering the Death Note dub, and if they don't base it off their original or FUNimation's dub of the series...then...this might just be amazing.
Hey, hey, hey...We're getting a proper English Dub right now. :) So, no worries there.

But, like I asked earlier, what reason is it that the Canadian Dub would have international priority over the US Dub? Or is that just early speculation based off of what happened last time?
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

gotensottile
Beyond Newbie

Post by gotensottile » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:38 pm

Mewzard wrote:
gotensottile wrote:Considering the Death Note dub, and if they don't base it off their original or FUNimation's dub of the series...then...this might just be amazing.
Hey, hey, hey...We're getting a proper English Dub right now. :) So, no worries there.

But, like I asked earlier, what reason is it that the Canadian Dub would have international priority over the US Dub? Or is that just early speculation based off of what happened last time?
I can't hear you over the sound of Kikoho, Karin, Kaio, and Jinzoningen.
Et cetera.

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:40 pm

gotensottile wrote: I can't hear you over the sound of Kikoho, Karin, Kaio, and Jinzoningen.
Et cetera.
Which I highly doubt we'll get any of.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:51 pm

But wait a minute, does this mean they're building a new cast from the ground up? I mean, they must have at least auditioned Morrow, because he said, "They said I sounded 'too cool' for Goku." Clearly he had contact with whoever "they" were. As somebody who's familiar with the Ocean cast and would love to hear some of those voices again, I was really hoping they'd get Scott McNeil (Piccolo) and Brian Drummond (Vegeta) back.
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:55 pm

I'm damned near sure Canada would revolt if Drummond and McNeil didn't return. :lol:
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:12 pm

Sweet, This is fantastic news. Ocean dub of Dragon Ball Kai, pretty much confirmed by the previous voice actor for Goku :D

I don't want the Ocean dub to be recasted from the ground up. Brian Drummond, Scott McNeil, Don Brown, Doc Harris, Maggie Blue O Hara, Monica Stori etc are perfect in their roles, especially Drummond as Vegeta and McNeil as Piccolo.

I'd like Ian Corlett to return for Goku but it's probably quite unlikely. Kirby Morrow probably auditioned for Goku for Ocean's Dragon Ball Kai dub. I'd like Kirby Morrow to return because I feel he did a good job, but if the company behind the Ocean dub feel the need to recast Goku, it should be good, I have much more confidence in The Ocean Group than Funimation.

My theory about Ocean editing the TV version of DBZ Kai for Funi might actually be true, they're doing it because Ocean are doing their own dub, but hopefully it will be less edited than the Nicktoons' Funi version. Look at Blue Water Dragon Ball for example, it's virtually uncut and contained a lot of blood, especially in the final Tournament against Piccolo Jr.

Ocean, please keep Brian Drummond as Vegeta and Scott McNeil as Piccolo, they are perfect for the roles, I cannot picture anyone else doing a better job.

For those asking why Ocean dub gets international priority, one reason is because of the fact that Funimation's dub was loathed and despised in the countries which got the English dub for DBZ, and it affected the ratings. I really hope the Ocean dub of DBZ Kai gets a DVD/Blu Ray release but if DBZ is an indicator, the ratings need to be very high, and Ocean dub is perfect to achieve that.

Choice195
Banned

Post by Choice195 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:14 pm

This is gonna be fun. :wink: :lol:

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:15 pm

If it has replacement music, it won't matter how good the voice acting is, because replacement music is simply unacceptable.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:26 pm

Although I didn't lose hope from Sean's tip off, the news of the Ocean dub of Kai from someone who actually works for Ocean Group (now Ocean Productions) brightened up my day, thanks for posting it. (Both to VegettoEX and the topic creator)
JulieYBM wrote:I'm damned near sure Canada would revolt if Drummond and McNeil didn't return. :lol:
Not just Canada, also the UK, Holland, Finland, Belgium and even Ocean fans in the US. :P

McNeil got a lot of attention for his role as Piccolo and I recall Drummond stating Vegeta is one of his favourite characters. Both still work for Ocean Productions so there's a big chance they'll return. :D
penguintruth wrote:If it has replacement music, it won't matter how good the voice acting is, because replacement music is simply unacceptable.
If the replacement music is the same as Westwood/Ocean's Buu saga with new musical themes, it'll be brilliant. Ocean's Buu saga music and Kai's music are similar, both have this high quality orchestral "feeling" to them which add to the atmosphere of the series, both have memorable themes. If the music is replaced, hopefully it will be good. In my view Ocean has never had crap music in their DBZ dubs (I liked the Levi and Keenlyside bgms.)

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:32 pm

penguintruth wrote:If it has replacement music, it won't matter how good the voice acting is, because replacement music is simply unacceptable.
Exactly, it'd be a complete waste of time. It would also add insult to injury if this other Kai dub ends up having superior acting and casting.

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:33 pm

What if the replacement music fits? What if it's better? What if they reuse Kikuchi's Z score? Why is it that different automatically equals bad, no matter what?
­

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:37 pm

I love that how when Funi uses replacement music, they end up demonized by many fans, and despite the fact that they now use the original music, many people'd jump to Ocean even if it was changed.

But, ignoring such frustrating thoughts for now, I am looking forward to at least seeing how the dub is. Might not be something I'd regularly watch, but I'm willing to try other shots at it.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:42 pm

Taku128 wrote:
What if the replacement music fits? What if it's better? What if they reuse Kikuchi's Z score? Why is it that different automatically equals bad, no matter what?
Because it's not the intended music for the show. It's not a licensor/dub studio's place to "improve" a show.

Also, I can't think of any examples of replacement music better than the original score. Certainly not in DB-related material.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

Xell
Beyond Newbie

Post by Xell » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:12 pm

I actually grew to really like Kirby Morrow as Goku. It would be a shame if they got a completely new guy to act as Goku.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:18 pm

Can I has further dividing of the English-speaking Dragon Ball fanbase? Oh, you're so kind, Canada.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:20 pm

Some more interesting information from Kirby Morrow. He stated that the company behind the Ocean dub of DB Kai had him re-audition for Goku and asked to "Kid him up a little bit, make him more childlike" which is promising because it shows that the company behind the Ocean dub understands Goku's character. Hopefully they're putting a great deal of effort into the Ocean dub.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:24 pm

RazorX wrote:Some more interesting information from Kirby Morrow. He stated that the company behind the Ocean dub of DB Kai had him re-audition for Goku and asked to "Kid him up a little bit, make him more childlike" which is promising because it shows that the company behind the Ocean dub understands Goku's character. Hopefully they're putting a great deal of effort into the Ocean dub.
That is a good thing to know. In fact, knowing somebody said that puts a big smile on my face.

Can I get a Schemen?

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:30 pm

Oh boy. I wonder if they're going to shamelessly copy the FUNimation scripts again.

I like FUNimation's Kai scripts, though I'd like it if they take the Blue Water DB/GT route in dubbing the whole thing from scratch, we might get some original terms that aren't in the FUNimation dub. Who knows...
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:33 pm

penguintruth wrote:
RazorX wrote:Some more interesting information from Kirby Morrow. He stated that the company behind the Ocean dub of DB Kai had him re-audition for Goku and asked to "Kid him up a little bit, make him more childlike" which is promising because it shows that the company behind the Ocean dub understands Goku's character. Hopefully they're putting a great deal of effort into the Ocean dub.
That is a good thing to know. In fact, knowing somebody said that puts a big smile on my face.
The fact that the Ocean dub for Dragon Ball (Z) Kai is pretty much confirmed put a big smile on my face, but this piece of information added to the smile. I am of the opinion that Kirby handled the light hearted scenes of Goku really well and I can imagine him being able to act Goku's "innocent, child like" side Masako Nozawa style. Though Kelamis, who can actually sound like Nozawa, given a similar direction to Nozawa could work as well.

But it adds to my confidence that if they don't pick Kirby for Goku, they'll get someone who can capture Goku's personality as it is in the Japanese version.